Sun and Rain

I see the sun after the rain.

Tao swooned his hand over the sand, making small patterns of nothing over it. His eyes focused on the sea which was just a few steps away from him. His bare feet, placed flat on the cold sand while his knees where pulled up, his chin resting on it. He closed his eyes when the cold water from the waves touched his feet, his and his hand. Once he felt the wave move away, he opened his eyes again. He didn't mind waiting. He could wait eternally if he had to. A small smile curled upon his face while peacefull thoughts crossed his mind. Memmories slipping in, whispering soft nothings towards his brain. It became a daily routine for him. Just sitting at the beach, on the exact same spot, the exact same time. After hours of waiting, from sunrise to sunset, he would get up slowly, walk into the dark sea to wash away the sand and mud from his jeans and his hands and feet before he would walk back towards the city, leaving the beach behind. Once back in his house, which was actually close to the beach, it even had a view on it, he would rub his bare feet with a towel, take off the dirty pants, before he slipped into some sweats and a comfortable and big t-shirt. With a cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate, depending on his mood, he would walk to the doors of his balcony, pop down on a chair on it and keep an eye onto the sea. Most of the time, he would fall asleep once his eyes became to heavy. Rarely, mostly when his roommate Sehun would get to worried about Tao sleeping properly and comfortable, he would get dragged towards his bedroom where he would stay awake in bed, rolling around due to the cold and emptiness around him. Of course, would Tao never tell this to Sehun, but he knew that the other knew, Sehun was just to polite to tell him directly.

Even when the rain made Tao soaked wet, he didn't bother about leaving the beach behind. He once made a promise and he wasn't planning on breaking it. When the thunder would cross the dark sky and lighten the black sea, Sehun would come to the beach to drag Tao away, who didn't hesitate to follow him. Sehun would take off Tao his clothes, dry the other with the always ready towel, before taking his hand and taking him with him into the bathroom, where they would shower together. They were used to it, showering together, so they didn't care about it any longer. Sehun was just worried about Tao. They never spoke, an emptiness in Tao's eyes would always welcome him and Sehun tried to talk, but after a lot of failed attempts, he gave up and silence became the comfortzone for the two of them. Sometimes, would Tao place his head against Sehun his bare chest, while the younger boy placed his arms around Tao, holding him tight, assuring him silently that he wouldn't leave.

It was on one of those rare day's, that Tao actually became more alive. He dragged Sehun with him to the beach, where he threw mud at the other and where they would run on the sand, before running into the sea, splashing each other happily. Laughing, they became like little children who were playing. Tao stood still in the water, the sun reflecting in his dark cat-like eyes, for the first time showing some spark of happiness in it. Sehun silently admired the sight in front of him, before slowly walking to him. Placing a hand on Tao's shoulder, he wrapped his arms around Tao his waist and he would look together with him, towards the very far sea.

On a bad day, Tao would just be standing on the balcony. His arms leaning on the railing while he stood there, relaxed, yet his eyes never left the exact same direction as they were looking at. Even if Sehun would try to move the other, talk to him, offer him food, he simply wasn't able to hear or to see the other. After hours of standing there, his legs would give up on him and he defeatedly would sink down, staring through the railing as tears would flow over his cheeks, falling down on his lap.

Sehun on the other hand just watched Tao. He took care of the other, in every way he could. He would dress him, he would feed him. He would make sure that the towel would be ready on it's spot. Sometimes, Tao would even forget that Sehun lived with him, but Sehun was able to endure all of it. He couldn't get angry at Tao, at all. Whatever the other did, it always touched his heart in a good way. But in the meantime, he knew it, he felt guilt towards him. And he would feel sorry. He loved him, but he felt like he was living two lives. During the hours that Tao would sit, waiting at the beach, he would leave the house to go to work, to have fun, to hang around with friends, on these hours, Tao would leave his mind. He went on several dates, but never accepted anyone around him close enough to go further with them. Tao once took his heart and he never walked out of it.

"Can you do it? Are you able to take care for Tao, while he is slowly losing his memory? His brain is giving up on him... Every single day will be like a new day to him. After a while, he won't remember anything anymore, then it wouldn't matter." A doctor in the hospital asked Sehun long ago and he nodded. He accepted all the responsibility which came with the guy he fell in love with long ago. But the thing was, Tao was never able to love Sehun back. Sehun even wondered if Tao knew who he was. In Tao his brain they could be brothers, lovers, friends, even just simple neighbours or strangers.

"He said. That he would come back. All I had to do was wait. See the sun after the rain, that in a blink of an eye he suddenly would be back." Tao spoke the words long after he hadn't spoken. "But he won't return, will he now?" He asked, looking up to Sehun, from his sitting position on the sand, quickly looking back to the sea before Sehun could even answer. "I can remember his face, but I can't remember his voice. That means I have to let go right? That I need to move on right?" He shook his head before a sigh left his mouth and he got up, facing Sehun. "When can I finally forget? I don't want to remember anymore." He never gave the opportunity to Sehun to answer him as he turned and left the beach. A rare day on which his memory slammed into his brain, all thanks to a dream. He didn't knew where he was, but he was in a house in which people with brain loss were living. He was just one of the many patients for Sehun. He was a doctor to more of them. But he also knew, that he was the most easy of all of them. As long as they allowed him to wait for Kris at the beach, day in, day out, he was happy. And his happiness was the only thing which mattered to all of them.

Tao waited day's, weeks, months, even years, for a person who once left on a cruise which he worked on, but the ship got into a storm and sank. Tao's brain and heart couldn't take the responsibility for having to live without the person who completed him. Slowly his heart and brain rejected to mesmerize everything, making a mess of all memory's and happenings, except for the note that Tao needed to wait. Slowly he withered, like a flower, in front of everyones eyes.

Sehun would even years later still walk to the exact same spot on which Tao waited. He wouldn't skip any day. A bouquet of flowers would meet the dark sea when Sehun gently placed the flowers upon it as his eyes scanned the same area which the cat-like eyes once had scanned long ago. Once a year, he would repeat the same moves, repeat the same words and repeat the same cold tears.
"I hope you didn't suffer to long, when the storm made the waves so big, pulling you into the dark sea... I hope, that instead of meeting the cold sea, you were greated with his warm embrace. You just needed to wait untill it was your time to go with him. I bet that he wanted to make sure that everything was safe up there. I am sorry that I had to let you go, you ment the world to me, even though you didn't know. Every day I work with my other patients, but no one is special like you Tao. But hey, I will keep on doing what I do, because they all remind me off you. I get to visit this spot, which you loved so much. And I feel your pain, but also the warmth when I am here. I am not ready to go to you Tao, you were like a angel. You are a angel. And my time won't be over for a long time. Saranghae."