9:15AM

Alone, But Not Lonely

      “—soo… Myungsoo!”
      Myungsoo groaned and rolled over, completely ignoring whoever it was that was patting his arm.
      “Myungsoo-ah!”
      “What?” Myungsoo asked flatly, refusing to open his eyes. He could recognize the voice now; it belonged to Sungyeol.
      “Did we have a schedule today?” asked Sungyeol. Something about his tone sounded nervous. Myungsoo forced his half-asleep mind to remember what day it was. But it was no use.
      “I don’t think so,” he concluded, pulling the covers over him. A moment later he fell fast asleep.
      “Oof!" Myungsoo grunted as a large object toppled over him. "What the—?!!"
      “Yah! Myungsoo…” Sungyeol shouted with a threatening voice as he pinned Myungsoo under his weight. “Don’t go back to sleep now!”
      “Why not?! Get off!” Myungsoo tried to push the large child off of him, but to no avail. Sungyeol proceeded to tickling him, irritating him further. “Quit it!
      “Everyone’s gone,” said Sungyeol suddenly.
      It took a moment for the words to sink in. Myungsoo pushed the covers out of the way and sat up. He squinted at Sungyeol through the light emanating from the window. It had to be no earlier than seven in the morning.

     “Did you call our manager?”
      “I tried, but he didn’t answer,” explained Sungyeol. “I texted Woohyun hyung but he hasn’t replied either.”
      Myungsoo got up and shuffled over to the kitchen. Sungyeol followed closely behind. Only he and Sungyeol were left in the abnormally quiet dorm. It was true, nobody was there.
      He went over to the calendar by the door and checked the dates. Their scheduled events were so close together that some of them poured over to the next block on the calendar, making it impossible to decipher what was what.
     “This is useless,” muttered Myungsoo as he made his way back to his room.
      “Where are you going?” asked Sungyeol, helplessly watching Myungsoo disappear behind the door.

     Thinking that Myungsoo must’ve gone to get dressed, Sungyeol let him be. Ten minutes had passed before something felt fishy, so he decided to check in on him. He knocked on the door softly, but was met with no reply. He opened it slowly…
     Myungsoo was back in bed.
     “Yah, Myungsoo!” Sungyeol shouted as he opened the blinds and threw the blankets off of his sleeping friend all at once. It took only a few seconds to wake him up this time, and soon Myungsoo was writhing around on the mattress like a child throwing a tantrum.
      “Why can’t you let me sleep?! If we have no schedule why are you doing this to me?!” Myungsoo shouted, face turning red. He writhed around until he had exhausted himself, then buried his face in his pillow and lay still.
      Sungyeol was shocked by this sudden outburst. The usually calm, collected L had turned into a loud and moody Myungsoo without warning. He almost felt bad for tormenting him like this. But after a few minutes and still no movement from Myungsoo, Sungyeol regained his composure and moved closer. He crouched beside the bed and stared intently at the back of Myungsoo’s head.
      “Whoa…” he whispered. “I’ve never seen this side of you before. I never knew you had it in you.” Regardless of Myungsoo’s current state, Sungyeol couldn’t help but .
      Myungsoo sighed deeply in return. He knew there was no winning this battle. Thanks to Sungyeol, he was fully awake. It would take him forever to fall back asleep now…
      Sungyeol heard him mumble something from within the pillow. Unable to distinguish his muffled words, Sungyeol asked Myungsoo to repeat himself. Myungsoo turned his face toward Sungyeol impatiently, eyes still puffy from lack of sleep, and asked, “What do you want?”
      Sungyeol drew a blank. He had forgotten to come up with a good excuse for waking Myungsoo. The truth was that he was bored and didn’t want to spend all day waiting quietly for people to return. He decided to avoid the question and distract Myungsoo instead.
      “Aigoo, look at you. You’re face is so chubby!” cooed Sungyeol as he pinched those puffy cheeks. Myungsoo swatted his hands away and buried his face into the pillow again. Sungyeol some more by tickling him under his ribs. With no blankets to protect the sleepy-head, Sungyeol had full advantage.
      Myungsoo got up without a word, leaving Sungyeol to sit next to the bed confused. “I’m going to get breakfast,” he said with exhaustion.

     Myungsoo opened the fridge and studied its contents. Trying to focus his tired eyes awake, he grumbled and reached for a juice-shaped container. As he poured some into the glass and threw back his head to take a swig, he realized it all too late. The juice tasted funny.
      “Sungyeol!” he called out angrily as he spat into the sink. He poured the remainder of the cup down the drain and prepared to throw out the rest until he had an idea. If Sungyeol had really sabotaged the juice, then Myungsoo would have to trick him into drinking some. If Sungyeol refused to try it, then he’d know there was something wrong with it.
      “What is it?” asked Sungyeol as he entered the kitchen. Myungsoo poured some more juice into the glass and handed it to Sungyeol.
      “Taste it,” he quickly added, “it’s good.”
Sungyeol gave Myungsoo a strange look and sniffed the juice. He took a sip and shrugged. “It’s okay.”
      “No, you have to drink it like this,” explained Myungsoo as he pretended to take another swig. Sungyeol did as suggested and nearly choked.
      “What is this?” he asked. But it didn’t fool Myungsoo.
      “You should know, you put something in it.”
      “What? I didn’t put anything in it, why does it taste like that? Augh…!” Sungyeol pushed past Myungsoo and coughed into the sink.
      “You must’ve put vinegar in it or something,” accused Myungsoo. “You can’t trick me.”
      “I swear, I didn’t do anything to it. Let me see,” Sungyeol reached for the container and Myungsoo handed it to him with a condescending look. “You idiot! Look at the date, it’s expired!”
      “What?”
      “Look, it says ‘best by…’, see? Why would you make me drink expired juice?!”
      “I didn’t—I’m not an idiot! You left it in the fridge!”
      “It’s your fridge too!”
      “Yeah, but you’re always pulling nasty pranks on us!”
      “That’s not true, it was only that one time!”
      “I can count more than one.”
      “Yah!
      “Yah!”
     Myungsoo was at a loss for words. The two of them stood in silence and glared at one another. If Sungyeol didn’t mess with the juice, then what was the reason for waking him up?
     “I guess we should clean out the fridge, huh?” suggested Sungyeol. Myungsoo felt defeated. It had been a while since he’d done chores. At least if they worked together it wouldn’t feel as tedious...