Staplewire

Fragments

                                                                                Characters: Lee Jinki, Kim Namjoo

Picture: http://all-idol.com/

 

 

Love is like a stapler pin.

Easy to attach.

 

“I’ll save you!”

Namjoo watched in amazement as the boy she had just tried to hit earlier with a stick jumped into the river to save her life. His eyes, burning with passion.

“Joo! Hold on to me!” he said, cradling her in his arms, holding her so close to his chest as she could almost hear his heartbeat.

Almost, because right now, Namjoo’s pounding heart was drowning every sound. She knew the reason, after all, she was smart.

She had just fallen in love.

 

Hard to detach.

 

“Geez, still pinning after Jinki? How many years has I been Joo? 10 years?”

“Namjoo can’t help it, she loves only Jinki!”

“Don’t you think it’s time to move on? He just sees you as a sister…”

“Did you say something, Chorong?”

Chorong sighed. The girl was clearly hopeless. “It’s nothing.”

 

And when you are finally able to detach it.

 

“I’m sorry… Namjoo.”

Just like that, Namjoo knew, no need for Jinki to explain anything. She didn’t need that. She knew this day would come. Knew, but persistently tried to deny it, because after all, a battle is only lost when you give up, right? She should have given up a long time ago, but… why is it so damn hard?

She forced a smile and prayed that her voice don’t break. It still did.

“H-hey. Don’t be like that! Namjoo’s happy for you two!”

The boy peered into Namjoo but the girl’s bangs hid her eyes, and the tears that were starting to form on them. In one fluid motion, she hugged the person in front of her clinging closely, knowing that it would be the last time. Jinki felt hot tears in his cheeks as  Namjooo buried her face on his shoulders, sobbing quietly.

“These are tears of happiness! Really!” she said. “Congratulations on your engagement!”

But she was not fooling anyone. Not him, and definitely not herself.

“Joo,” he said, “She wants you to…” he trailed off, unable to continue anymore.

Namjoo bit her lips to stifle the sob that was welling up on her. It was so unfair. She was hurting, hurting because of him but still can’t deny him. She pushed off herself from him to face him, a bittersweet smile on her face.

“It’s okay…” she started. “… I’ll be her bridesmaid.”

 

It leaves the paper…

 

Chorong watched as Namjoo laughed with the other girls. Her laughs were fake and her eyes… empty. Something was not right. If she wants to cry, stupid woman should just cry. There should be a limit to being strong and bottling it all in. It would be good if she let all those emotions out. Bomi who was rooming with Namjoo had told her that she hadn’t seen or heard her cry.

Not even once.

Chorong doesn’t know if she’s the only one who noticed it but Namjoo closed her eyes when Jinki and his wife said their vows, her hands unconsciously curling to her chest. And when they kissed, Namjoo looked like she would break.

Although she pretends everything’s alright, she knows.

“Joo, you alright?”

Namjoo faced her and gave her a smile that didn’t reached her eyes. Chorong didn’t know it yet, but for the years to come Namjoo’s smile would always be like that from now on. Empty.

 

Damaged.