final

Together

"I'm sorry... I'm really sorry Denise... They're making me do it, you know how hard I've worked for this... I'll be back for you. When I've made it big, I'll come back to you with more confidence." She shook her head and backed out of his embrace, slowly fading away into the background. "Denise!" He called out, ready to lunge forward to get her, he struggled and heard a clanking, looking down his legs were chained. He watched as she disappeared, the disappointment and hurt evident in her features. 

"Jaehwan-ah... Are you okay? It's time to get up today's the big day." He let out a shaky breath, blinking and turning over to face Hakyeon who watched him with careful eyes. "...Again? I think what bugs you most is that you haven't heard from her since." 

"Please." He choked out, voice still ached with sleep. "I don't know what you're talking about. Let's just get ready now." He mustered up a weak smile, got up. Hakyeon sighed and shook his head.

"I'm sorry Jaehwan-ah..." 


"I'll be back guys." The boys nodded their heads in acknowledgement and Ken took this as his chance for a little break. He made his way through the hallways of Show Champion, peering into the rooms casually on his way to the roof for some fresh air. 

He rubbed his hands together and looked into the room of a new girl group, he locked eyes with a girl who seemed familiar, he paused when he passed the door but continued. "I... I must be seeing things." 


 "Hyung, are you okay...?" 

"What?" Jaehwan snapped out of his daze to see Hyuk with worried eyes. 

"You seemed a bit off since you came back from the roof, did something happen at the recording?" 

"No. It's nothing. I'm just sleepy." 

"Then sleep." Leo muttered and passed him his neck pillow. 


 "They're like the power couple of our class." "Class? More like school!" "They're both gonna make it, and be together for ever." Jaehwan looked over at Denise, who was trying to hide her smile. "Together?" He squeezed her hand, and she nodded, resting her head against his shoulder. Her lips moved but nothing came out, it always fades to black, to nothing.

 What Jaehwan hated the most of these dreams was that it was always only him. She was there but she wasn't really there. These flashbacks seemed broken to him. They would speak but he can't hear her. They touch but he can't feel her. 


Jaehwan cooled off after performing and took a seat while watching the rest of the live performances at Music Bank. 

"Bora-shi, do you remember how you felt when you first debuted?" 

"Yes! I was nervous but very excited!" 

"Then you'll understand how our next performers feel. Hot debut, the breathtaking Beauties!" 

"Wah! Is this that new group I've heard about?" Hongbin raised the volume, everyone looked up at the screen. 

"I heard they're all gorgeous!" Ravi added nudging at N.

-Ari- -Jessie- -Hyunji- -Rose- 

Jaehwan stared wide eyed at the screen, the upbeat dance started and he focused as the girl's were shown one by one.

"If you had to change your name when you debut, what would it be?" He asked her. She looked around. "Something pretty... Like a flower." 

Ken finally blinked, he heard her this time. "And that's how I realized that you were the one~~" His ears picked up the voice and the lyric he helped complete one lazy summer afternoon a few summers ago. He sighed loudly, continuing his own little episode while s watched eagerly. "It's her." He said loud enough to catch Hakyeon's attention. 

"What?" He looked again. "On the screen??" 

"What's Ken hyung talking about?" Hongbin asked. 

"I... I have to go talk to her..." He jumped up, Jaehwan was shaking.

"No, you know you can't." Ken looked at him with sad eyes. "At least not now. You'll get your chance." 


 "The winner is... VIXX with Error! Congrats!" Confetti was falling, and people were cheering. He was being hugged by who knows, but his eyes were searching for her. 

"Congrats sunbae." He turned to face her, she bowed and was about to leave. 

"Wait- Can we talk?" 

"Not here." She said through her smile, as a member of hers came to her and they waved at the audience. 

"Meet me at the roof." He added before singing his line of the song as other started to dissipate. 


"Why didn't you tell me?" 

"If you hadn't noticed we weren't talking at all sunbae." 

"Sunbae? You don't have to be formal with me Denise." He placed his hand on her shoulder and she brushed it off. "Denise..." 

"Rose." She sighed. "Look sunbae-" 

"Jaehwan. Say my name Denise." 

"Sunbae." She annunciated each syllable. "I have to go, my members are going out to eat and I don't want to keep them waiting. I've worked really hard for this day to come, and I want to end it on a good note." She dipped her head and started off. 

"Congrats on your debut." He called out as she disappeared behind the door. 


"Where have you been? It's almost 3 am and we have a lot to do tomorrow! And our tomorrow starts in 2 hours Jaehwan!" A frantic N whispered as Ken slipped off his shoes. 

"I messaged Manager hyung and told him to tell whoever it matters that I'm filming." 

"You've been staying out later and later each day, but you've never gone to this extreme. Don't forget your part of a team. Your actions impact all of us."

"Tell me something I don't know." He mumbled and walked past him, stumbling a bit. 

"You drank too?"

"What does it matter to you? Go to bed Hakyeon." 

N scoffed. "Let me tell you something Lee Jaehwan-" 

A light flickered and lite up the room, Leo followed by Hongbin and Hyuk stepped in.

"What's going on?" Asked Hyuk.

"Oh god Ken hyung you look like ..." Hongbin added. 

"I'm going to bed." Ken started towards his room. 

"She's not doing this, so why are you? You're only hurting yourself Jaehwan." 


"Excuse me?" The boys turned to find a guy at the door of their waiting room. 

"Yes?" N answered and bowed politely. 

The man returned the bow. "I'm the manager of Beauties and was hoping you guys could let us film them presenting you all with their album." 

"Ah yes! We'd be glad to!" 

"Thank you! I'll be back soon." The manager left and Ken went to N. 

"Hyung..." 

"I know. But you remember how we felt when we had to do this, she feels the same, we can't say no." 


"Action!"

"Hello! We are Beauties!" They said their greeting and the guys clapped. 

"I'm Ari, the leader and lead vocalist. This is Jessie, she's in charge of rap. Hyunji is one of our main vocalist. And Rose is the other as well our main dancer."

"Ah yes!" N spoke confidently. "We really enjoyed your debut song and I'm sure we'll love the rest of your songs, and the many to come." 

Rose stepped forward, and N made Jaehwan receive. She handed him the album, and stood beside him as they all got together for a picture. 

"Together." Their managers said as they took a photo each. 

"Together..." Jaehwan whispered for only her to hear, he looked over with a sad smile, before turning towards the camera with his signature wink. 


 Jaehwan was walking behind her. She was unaware of his presence, her earbuds on, a mellow love song that she related to her own relationship played. He watched her, her curls bouncing, a spring her step. He smiled to himself as he watched her. "This is love." 

"Together? Really. Tell me about how we did this together? The only reason we're even able to see each other like this is because of MY hard work. When did you ever make the effort to ever call or even text me? Lord knows you could spare a second. I did everything. I'm the one who talked to you first, that confessed first, said I love you first, I kissed you first. If it wasn't for me, we would have never spoken. You would have never heard that Jellyfish was looking for male trainees. You wouldn't be who you are now. Ken wouldn't exi-" 

"I am a coward." 

"What?" He sighed and grabbed her hand, he looked it over, relishing in the softness he missed so much. He brought her hand up to his cheek, he was cold. He was never this cold. She looked at him then. He was tired. His usual bright eyes were dim, his skin a few shades paler, his lips blended in with his face. He smiled against her warm hand. "I own everything to you. You have given me everything I could ask for. A friend, love, a career in something I love... A place to call home. I've never thanked you, but it's about time don't ya think?" She smiled and he chuckled lightly. "Thank you. Thank you so much Denise... I'm also sorry. I thought it would be best to give you some space, and along the way I lost myself. I began to think you hated me, I would have. I hate myself for leaving you. But you never left my mind, you never left my heart." He wraps his arms around her, squeezing her tightly. "I love you so much." 


"Are you serious?" s asked and stared with their mouths a gape. 

"Yup! I got the part in the drama! What's best is my love interest!" He winked and grinned. 

"Is Ros- Denise noona okay with it?" Ravi asked with raised brows. 

"Okay with what?" She came up and placed an hand on Ken's arm giving it a gentle squeeze. 

"The girl in Ken's drama. What if she's pretty... Or if they have to kiss!" N began. 

Denise smiled. "Well, she is really pretty. And the probably will. So what?" 

"You're really cool noona, most girls would throw a fit about their boyfriend kissing another girl." Hongbin said. 

"Another girl? The only girl he's kissing is me." She emphasized by sticking out her cheek which he gave a sweet peck, pulling her onto his lap and hugging her. 

"Wait- I don't get it." Hyuk cocked his head to the side. 

"It's obvious. Denise is the girl in the drama." Leo said nonchalantly. 

"Ah!" They all exclaimed, Jaehwan laid his head on her shoulder and sighed contently. 

This is how it should have always been. And this is how it'll stay.

He was walking in a clearing, surrounded by trees, blue sky, and various flowers. An arm linked onto his, he looked down and she was next to him. She smiled, and they continued forward. Together.