Demons

Demons

His lean body was standing in front of the window observing the rising sun. I notice how the orange glow brings out the blue undertones in his downy hair and turns his olive skin almost gold. Was I in the presence of a god? When he turned around to look at me his eyes glowed, no not a god, something darker. I can feel his heat like a rolling fog as he moves to the end of the bed. I close my eyes, it’s intoxicating.

    When I open my eyes all I see are his dark red eyes searching mine. “Why is it that you are not afraid of me?” He stared intently waiting for my answer. I closed what little space was left between us.

    “We are cut from the same cloth you and I, the cloth of warriors, of demons.” I watched his mouth twitch into a smirk of amusement.

    “But you are not a demon. You are blind. I can see what you wish yourself to be but that I’m afraid is nothing but a fantasy. You are weak, and frail,and worst of all you are foolish. To be a demon is far beyond the reach of a foolish girl like yourself. You live in a world of delusions. One must realize their faults to overcome and control them but you, you don’t realize that you have faults you reside in a place where you think you can be more than what you are. You wish to be a demon do you not?” His eyes rove my body, I can see the anger in them, the disbelief that I could be so stupid, and I see the lust. Subtle as it is I can see it hidden right behind the garnet.

    “Why is it that you ask questions you already know the answer to? I know exactly what I am but  I don’t think you quite understand. I may be human but my insides are more demon than yours. Do you think that I can’t see the lust in your eyes? Your time on this earth has made you weak. How the mighty have fallen Hiei.” I moved my hand to touch his face but his hand catched my wrist, his grip is painfully tight.

    “How do you know my name girl?” I twist out of his grip and stand.

“Oh we aren’t getting antsy now are we? The Hiei I knew was patient, cold, precise, calculating. Do you know who it is that you claim to be, boy?” I spit the word out as it left a nasty take upon my tongue. “You claim to be the king of all that is dark and sin, But here you are and you don’t even know my name. Can’t you see through this shell that I have hidden behind, my king?”

    He stood towering above me and backed me against the wall, hands on either side of my face boxing me in. “If you know who I am then you know better than to toy with me. Who exactly is it that you are claiming to be so that I may know who I am going to have the pleasure of spreading all over these walls.”

    “You wish darling.” My hand pierced the flesh right between his ribs, the open window carried the scent of freshly spilt blood through the air. I inhaled and my eyes rolled back at the familiar scent. “I am your worst nightmare. You claim to be the king well I am the queen. I am the moon and you are just one of many measly stars in the sky. Such a pity, I came here following all of the stories of your legend and you turned out to be nothing but a fraud, a failure, just like the rest of them.” He hit the floor writhing in pain. There’s something about the sound of bodies hitting the floor that soothes me so. Droplets of crimson drip from my hands. The warm metallic scent feels like home, I rub the familiar substance on my hands, up my arms and across my cheeks. I stepped over his now lifeless body to take my place at the window. “Let it be known that the queen has--”

    Hands around my neck, but who? “The queen has made her final appearance, wow you really are foolish.”

    “But how? You were dead, I was sure! That’s not possible.”

“It is going to take a lot more than a puny dagger to bring me down. You really are dumb aren’t you? You should learn to be a little more precise. Had you been a mere inch to the left I really would be dead. Funny isn’t it? An inch is going to be the reason you are going to die here tonight.’

“You could teach me! I could learn and then i would be fit to rule by your side as queen!”

“Bargaining for your life would only work if your life was worth something. You don’t deserve to be queen, you made a mistake and you deserve to be dead. Mercy is for the weak, mercy has no place on this earth. This world knows no word so tainted as mercy, mercy has disrupted the natural order of things and I will not be one to contribute to it. Because of mercy weaklings like you have come crawling out of your little holes to try your luck at the big leagues. You are a child, you may think that I am weak, you may think that you know me, you may think whatever you wish but guess what darling? Strike three and you’re out. Welcome to hell.” Snap.

    He jumped out of the window, feet hit the cold pavement, running. Let it be known that the king remains, the king will be obeyed, the king is cruel, and the king falls to no one. “Hell is empty and all the demons are here.” Beware, be smart, for the demons roam the earth, the king roams looking, searching for a queen fit to rule by his side.