Eyes on me

Eyes on me

 

Taking up their place as they rehearsed for the upcoming comeback, the girls of Red Velvet were polishing their moves until it was 2 in the morning, practicing non-stop as they give it their all.

 

And with them finally finishing about 8 hours of unending dancing and singing, they were given the signal for a job well done.

 

Collapsing immediately to the nearest wall, the 4 ladies began cooling and relaxing themselves, with Seulgi losing her strength as she landed her head on the maknae’s lap, with the taller girl drinking the half drank water their resident bear was unable to finish.

 

In the midst of the chaos (mostly came from Joy who kept blabbering that the older girl shouldn’t be using her as a pillow), the leader of the group found herself staring at the silent individual after the two bickering pair, smiling weakly as she stared onto the water bottle as if she was being mesmerized by whatever it is that she sees.

 

It was none other than their resident derp, Wendy.

 

Staring at the unspeaking girl as she observed silently, the other girl took notice of her quite easily.

 

Sparing a glance in return, their gaze matched.

 

And then, as they were holding onto the stare down, something, or rather someone, broke their moment with her loud yelling.

 

“That’s it! You’re so going to buy me chicken after this!”

 

It was the evil maknae and her evil demands, talking to the already hibernating girl who suddenly passed out in the comfort of her sore thighs.

 

[Irene pov]

 

Looking elsewhere as I got startled by Joy’s scream, I immediately sulked when it was nothing that concerns me, pouting as soon as I realized she broke a very important moment that was about to take place.

 

Seeing the girl I was previously gazing at, talking to the younger girl to coax her, something dawned to me as I watched them interact.

 

Sometimes, I wonder what she thinks of me…

 

Whenever I tried initiating eye contact with her, she just seems to avoid it skillfully.

 

In those times that she doesn’t however, I kind of like it, her way. How she shyly placed her eyes on me.

 

Not that I’m assuming much (but maybe I am), it’s just that, whenever she diverts her gaze elsewhere, it makes me ponder…

 

Am I special to her? Or she’s just plain awkward to look at me.

 

Did you ever know? That I have mine on you.

 

You see, most of the time, whenever I looked at her in high hopes of interacting, she just looks elsewhere that is not me.

 

On those times I purposely , she will either look at Joy or Seulgi, retorting a reply or a side comment, sometimes both.

 

Whenever I said my words, wishing they would be heard.

 

It’s not that I mind much, however, I do wish she would look at me when she says, I’m the one who asked for her attention anyway.

 

How can I let her know I wonder?

 

Wendy ah, on those times you have your eyes on me…what do you see?

 

[Wendy pov]

 

Trying to calm down the grumbling chicken who suddenly yelled because of the sleeping animal on her lap, I then told her some words to ease her, half promising on behalf our oblivious bear so that she would stop talking. It was 2 in the morning and my ears will hurt if she continues her assaults that are not working on the knocked out girl.

 

And while I was busy tending to the youngest, I caught a glimpse of unnie’s pouting face, it seems that she was in deep thought.

 

Often times, I ponder what she thinks of me…

 

On moments I tend to catch her looking at my direction, she seems to stare deep into my soul.

 

How I love her peaceful eyes on me.

 

Maybe it’s just my assumptions or something (or it’s just really me), but sometimes I tend to wonder…

 

Is it real? Or is it just my fantasy.

 

Whether we are on cam or off cam, in those times I catch her eyes looking into me, I tend to get shy and turn away my gaze instantly.

 

But whenever she is not looking…

 

Did you ever know? That I have mine on you.

 

In those moments she’s in the mood to joke around with me, I often find myself shying away to hide the real me.

 

Though I don’t do it on purpose, but whenever she speaks to me (or about me), my eyes lands to someone else and reply my words to them instead.

 

Irene unnie…on those times you have your eyes on me…what do you see?

 

****
 

Going out for a breather in the middle of the night since she can’t seem to sleep just yet, Red Velvet’s resident snowman was outside their dorm’s veranda as she looked at the scenario with a blank look on her face, her gaze seems to go along the wide horizon while the starry sky decorated the night scenery with their small but bright glow.

 

Staring at everything in silence, it was when something that resembled a shooting star made her clasped her hands together, intertwining her fingers as if she was praying for a wish.

 

To her surprise, while she was in the middle of her trance, a cold hand that held her arms made her heart explode as she screamed her lungs at the unidentified culprit.

 

****
 

Feeling the coldness of the night that seeps through right their shared room, Irene shifts on her place uncomfortably as she snuggled closer to her blanket. Somehow, even with her eyes close, there was something oddly wrong with the picture and it made her want to get up despite her shivering body.

 

Finally opening her eyes after contemplating for the past minutes, she slowly sits up and scans around the room, seeing how Seulgi was sleeping in her hibernating pose while Joy was placed rather weirdly on her bed with her right foot almost dangling below.

 

“Where’s Wendy?”

 

Seeing how their refreshing smile member was nowhere in her line of vision, she squinted her eyes to get a better look, hoping she just missed the lump that was her dongsaeng.

 

“Wendy ah…”

 

She soon whispered, having seen nothing that resembles the short girl.

 

Knowing the other was like her who is a light sleeper, she repeated the words but only the gentle breeze (overpowered by JoyGi’s snoring + sleep talking) answered her.

 

Thinking that the younger girl took a bathroom break, the growing curiosity of the other’s whereabouts took the best of her when no one entered the wooden door.

 

Deciding to stand up to look for the missing, she bit her lips as she got her large jacket with her, inwardly cursing the unforgiving wind that suddenly gushed at her direction when she twisted the knob open.

 

[Irene pov]

 

Walking pass the open bathroom door as it was obvious that the girl I was looking for was not there, I then frowned and pouted at where she could be. It was already late for the younger one to be loitering and she’s obviously not going to the kitchen for a snack since she’s still on her strict diet.

 

As I was about to go back to our room to get my phone, a small light emitting from the living room caught my attention. It was the one leading to our dorm’s veranda.

 

Following the source of brightness, it was then when I found our resident mood maker.

 

“Wend-”

 

I was about to call her name when I saw her serene face. She had this look as if she had been lacking something in her life.

 

Though I had said in an interview before, I still would like for her to it share with me.

 

Her love if she have enough, her tears if she’s holding back, or pain if that's what it is.

 

Coming to her instead as I placed my frozen hand on hers, I was taken aback when her dolphin scream invaded my ears, making me cover my poor eardrums that were about to break with her loud voice. No wonder she’s our main vocal.

 

“Wendy ah…it’s me…”

 

I then said, hoping she would stop any minute now.

 

[Wendy pov]

 

“…it’s me…”

 

Catching the soft voice that immediately calmed my mind and made me stop screaming, I then saw Irene unnie who is protecting her ears, looking at me with her usual stare that made me widen my eyes in shock.

 

“OMG! I’m sorry unnie…”

 

I then said. It was known to all she is quite a fragile lady and I must have shattered her being with my giga loud voice.

 

“W-What are you doing here? I thought for a while…you were…something else”

 

I then said as I looked down on the floor in embarrassment. Somehow, what I did made me flushed for no reason. Smiling as she told me she was looking for me, I then nodded in understanding.

 

Though I wanted to ask her why, I’m pretty sure it’s along the lines of she suddenly woke up and saw no one on my bed that she started searching for me instead. She did the same for Joy when she momentarily forgot that the younger one had to stay back at home because her younger sister was sick and was missing her.

 

As the silence took part in our lack of conversational skills, she gave me a look that was like asking me on what am I doing here outside.

 

Standing still with that look on her face, as if she’s never hurt, as if she’s never down, I then wondered on how strong she could really be. Though she seldom showed it, she was not the type to give up easily and it made me admire her for the leader she was born to be, no matter how people judge wrongly because of her silent nature and timid personality.

 

****
 

Stealing glances as they had succeeded in doing so, the faint moonlit night became their light as they stood side by side while holding onto the steel railings, somehow, finding themselves immerse at the view that they were looking at.

 

“Joohyun unnie…”

“Seungwan ah…”

 

Speaking at the same time, both girls began showing a shade of pink on their cheeks as they stared awkwardly, with the younger girl scratching the back of her head while the leader smiled and signaled her dongsaeng to speak first.

 

“It’s getting cold isn’t?”

 

Is what Wendy stated.

 

Finding it cute at how random her question is, the older girl held her face to hide her widening smile that broke into something else.

 

“Uhhh…is something funny?”

 

The younger girl asked.

 

Shaking her head as she waved her hands, Irene toned down her giggle so that she could talk.

 

“Yes…I mean no. It’s because you only have that tank top with you. Here, let me share my coat”

 

Wavering as she didn’t quite understood herself for blushing at the kindness, the younger girl declined the offer.

 

“I’m just saying. I don’t really need it”

 

Though she didn’t mean to sound like she was implying something, it’s just she felt that was perhaps the best way to convey her thoughts.

 

“I insist”

 

Irene then retorted.

 

Gathering all the courage she needed, Wendy held her breath in as she was left no choice but give in the older girl’s demands.

 

Snuggling closer, it was when they were only a few centimeters apart that a weird atmosphere started to surround them.

 

Looking at the eyes that began to stare at each other intently, their previous predicament came back to their minds once again.

 

 “Whenever you have your eyes on me…What do you see?”

 

As the words echoed in their heads, the very question made both girls wonder, staring deep into the orbs that were wavering as if trying to hide something.

 

Of course, being the timid girls they are, they soon broke off their gaze as they felt their faces blushed, diverting their attention elsewhere. And as the wind blows a gentle breeze, their feelings were also being stirred along its light cradle.
 

[Irene pov]

 

Looking at the stars that were twinkling above us, it made me wonder upon the answer as well. I’m aware that I had been obvious about staring her but I never really paid attention as to why I did. And while I was thinking about the possible reason, it then brought me back to our trainee days.

 

Even back then, I remember that she’s bright since the first time I saw her. She’s still bright even now but she’s deep and she’s very lovely because she takes care of the people around her very well.

 

Although she takes care of others well, it worries me. When other’s see her, they only see the bright sides of her. But as a person who sees her everyday and talks to her, I see parts of her that are broken and hurt. Wendy can have a weak heart at times.

 

And while I was thinking to myself, I felt a light tug as the soft palm began finding its way to my hands.

 

[Wendy pov]

 

Looking out to the horizon as I began to wonder about the answer myself, I then came back to the memories of our training days.

 

Although RV members are pretty, Irene unnie was chic. She first came to me and she’s a warm hearted and kind unnie. When I first saw her, I thought she’s really pretty. I thought it was hard to approach her because she was so pretty. Could I approach her? Is that possible? But I think I ended up approaching her anyway.

 

It was when I was about to take a longer trip down to memory lane when I felt a hand gripped onto my arms.

 

****
 

Looking at each other as if on cue, both girls smiled as the unspoken words seemed to reach one another even without them saying.

 

“Whenever I look at you, I see your eyes on me…”

 

And while they stayed in that comfortable silence, it was then when the wind grew stronger that they decided to call it a night.

 

“Should we sleep now?”

 

Irene has to ask, being a person who gets cold easily. Of course, being the understanding girl she is, Wendy nodded in agreement.

 

Going back to their room hand in hand, both girls bid each other goodnight as they went onto their own bed, waving a silent goodnight as they looked at each other for the last time.

 

Smiling before covering themselves, wide grin decorated their faces as they closed their eyes.

 

Little they know, after that night, their bond was meant to be something more.

 

 

- THE END -

 

 

Oh I give up. The beginning was nice but I just had to ruin the ending. This non-AU WenRene is not my thing after all. :(

 

Sorry I messed up guys, not to mention I took long to update (and it was a bit short too). I really wanted a worth reading fic but I ended with this crappy one instead. TT___TT

 

Anyway, I promise to make a better one next time (whenever that is because of my slight hiatus) so let me slip for this fic. Hwaiting~!

 

Until then, jya neh~! ^^;