Hide

Fly Together [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Family Game Night
/ CHAPTER 4 / I

t had been a little over two weeks since Fei had begun her life at the Academy and there was one thing that was bothering her. In the time that she had been living there, the food in the fridge and in the cupboards had not run out. None of her house-mates had asked her to chip-in to buy groceries and no one had been spotted with their arms full of groceries. That was all well and good with Fei since she then didn't have to worry about having enough money for her share, but it made her wonder how they were getting their food. If the school was supplying everything, it would be extremely costly.

"Hey, Junmyeon?" Fei asked one Saturday evening. The rest of the boys were either playing video games or doing whatever.

"Yes?"

"I've been meaning to ask this, but where do we get all of our food from? We don't have a cafeteria for the student body and we haven't run out of food even though we have fourteen people living in one dorm. Do your parents pay for all of this? If that's the case, I can ask my parents to send some money until I can contribute on my own-"

"That's not necessary for now, but I appreciate the offer." Junmyeon smiled and set his book down on the table. "We actually earn more than enough money to cover our living expenses. Do you know the administration building that's in the middle of campus?"

"Yes?"

"Inside, there is a board with tags. Each tag has a description of a demon-hunting job that students can take along with the level of skill that is required in order to accept the job. So, I'm only allowed to take tags that are in the shape of a diamond unless I have someone accompanying me who is of a higher level. I could also supervise someone on a lower-level mission. It's extremely important that you take the tag to the receptionist if you want to accept a job."

"Why?"

"In order to protect the dragons and others in the school, there is a boundary that separates the Academy from the rest of the world. You could injure yourself if you attempt to leave the school without authorization. It's also convenient for when you need to take a mission that is on the other side of the continent. Once authorized, your pin becomes an access key to the outside world but only to the mission location and the Academy."

"That's... that's amazing! How does this connect to my question though?"

"We're paid for our services. More dangerous jobs return a large sum of credit. Many of the people in our dorm are either Masters or Seniors so they are able to accept jobs that cover our expenses. As long as we have some credit, our kitchen stays stocked and other essential services are fufilled."

"How soon will I be able to go out on a mission?"

"There aren't many jobs for beginners since demons are dangerous. Technically, you would be able to go on an intermediate mission as long as you were supervised by a Senior or Master. There aren't many who are willing to take that risk though." Junmyeon smiled. "You'll get your day out in the field some day, don't worry."

Fei returned a half-hearted smile. At the rate she was progressing, it would take at least a year before she advanced a level. Sure, her hand-to-hand combat was improving, but it was mostly because she hated the bruises she would always get from Rosalina tossing her around like a rag-doll.

"Hey, Zitao."

"Asdfjkl, Jun-mom." Tao collapsed into a chair beside Fei.

"Rough day?" Fei asked.

"I had to deal with a shapeshifting demon this morning and I only just got in. Yifan has it worse though - before he could lift off, a young one bit him on the forearm."

Fei noticed how Junmyeon's left arm seemed to twitch.

"Yixing got someone to extract as much of the poison out as he could before he began to heal Yifan. He's resting now. Yixing says he should be all better by tomorrow. It's a shame that he doesn't have super-speed to go along with flight, otherwise he wouldn't have to worry about things like this happening."

"So Yifan has the power of flight?" Fei asked.

"Yeah. Considering that human bodies can't handle certain amounts of acceleration and the thin atmosphere way up high, it's kind of useless unless he wants to hover above the forest or something. He's a fairly skilled fighter despite his lanky form." Tao snickered.

"So does that mean he's a Spirit Elemental?"

"If we didn't know how his power worked, then yes, he would've been. After experimenting with his powers, we determined that he could control the air pressure around himself. For some reason, it doesn't damage his body, but obviously, since he's not aerodynamic like a jet, he can't fly too fast."

"What's a jet?" Fei asked.

"It's a travelling device that people used to have before the Great War. It was basically a big, metal dragon that could carry many people inside of it. After dragons became a part of the war, planes became an ineffective mode of attack since dragons basically controlled the airspace and just dried up resources. Humans began to favour cars once again because it was a mode of transport that was easily redesigned to fit the needs of humans."

"Zitao, have you ever considered being a History teacher?"

Zitao scoffed, "Never. I would hate to stand in front of a bunch of students and drone on about things that they truly don't care about."

"Now you know how it feels to be me," Junmyeon muttered.

"Ugh, who would want to be like you?" Baekhyun marched out into the foyer. "I imagine that it's very boring. Speaking of boring, why is no one else up? We should be doing something fun! Let's go do something, guys!"

Zitao simply glared at the overly excited housemate. Junmyeon didn't look all that phased - he'd probably had to go through this more than once. Fei didn't really have plans for the rest of her day so she decided to humour Baekhyun. "What did you want to do?"

"Hm... We could play kick-the-can?"

"Jongin would win. Every. Single. Time."

Baekhyun huffed, "Well, if you're so opposed, what do you think we should do?"

"We could play capture the flag?" Zitao suggested.

Baekhyun glared at him. "The last time we played, your team was stacked."

"That's not true!"

"You damn well know that you had the best offensive players on your team!"

"It's not my fault that you at being a team captain! Or that you always put Chanyeol on your team even though you know his powers are either too dangerous or ineffective!"

"You had Yifan, Jongdae, Luhan, Jongin and Yixing on your team! Yifan was pretty much the only useless one! Jongdae went around shocking everyone, Luhan and Jongin just went straight for our flag and Yixing made the rest of the people on my team violently sick! Supper was actually nice today and I really don't want to have it in my mouth again."

"Then what do you want to do that will be fun and safe?" Zitao demanded.

"Why don't we search on the internet?"

The three boys stared at Fei.

"What?"

"We don't have internet, remember? The only electronics we managed to get the administration to approve were video games and a television with a movie player."

Fei had completely forgotten about that. "Can we play hide-and-go-seek?"

Junmyeon immediately responded, "But it's dark out." while Baekhyun and Zitao jumped exitedly at the suggestion.

"We could get people from the Draco house to come play with us!" Baekhyun shouted.

"What's the Draco house?" Fei asked.

"For some reason, all of the dorms are named after different types of dragons from Old World folklore, while our dorm is the only one to not be named after a dragon. We have the Vritra, Ryujin, Druk, Wyvern, Naga, Kur and a few others. The Draco dorm is one that houses guests. Generally, since those people have graduated, they're more chill and we know some of them."

"What about the people like Siobhan? Does she stay in the Draco house?"

"No, she's not a guest but she's also not a student or a teacher so she lives in a dorm attached to the greenhouses. Each Elemental pavilion has an attached building for those who maintain it. Enough with the questions, let's go see who else wants to play!" Zitao shouted as he ran for the stairs.

"But where will we play with so many people?" Fei asked.

"We'll be playing in the forest. Masters have access to it and have the ability to grant access to it." Junmyeon had bookmarked his page. He had probably realized that he was going to be forced to play hide-and-go-seek whether he wanted to or not.

The whole gang was in the lobby, dressed in dark coloured, lightweight clothing within five minutes. Kyungsoo and Luhan didn't seem to be entirely please that they'd be going out to play. The others seemed mostly okay with the plans to play out in the forest. They headed over to the Draco dorm to ask the others if they'd like to play with them. Most of the residents declined, but there were still a few who took them up on their offer. Cassandra was one of the peope to accept their invitation. With Cassandra was another girl and a guy, both seemed to be in their late twenties.

"Guys, this is Tina and Madden. They're staying as guests along with myself at the Draco dorm. Tina is a water Elemental while Madden was a regular student who specialized in evasive techniques and small projectiles."

Fei didn't feel confident at all. Every person was more accomplished than she was - even Rosalina who was younger than her. Fei figured that she'd lose quickly during the game expecially if everyone was allowed to use their powers. Obviously, Madden didn't seem to have any powers but he would've had to have been skillled to graduate from Longwei Academy.

"Okay, I think that we should set up some rules and physical boundaries so that people don't go so far that it's impossible for the seeker to find them. I think that a one kilometer radius should be sufficient for hiding. What does everyone else think?" Junmyeon surveyed the reactions of their group. "No objections? Wonderful! Luhan, do your thing!"

Fei's eyes turned to Luhan who was looking at Junmyeon. After about a second, he nodded to Junmyeon which Fei took as a confirmation of a boundary being completed. Fei wondered how they would know where the boundary was.

"For this game to be more exciting, defensive powers are allowed. If anyone uses their powers offensively aside from the 'It' team, they will immediately be out. For a person to be considered caught, the person who is 'It' will need to tag the others. If you get tagged, you follow the Seeker. Don't be a jerk about it either. The first one caught will be the next person to be 'It'. So... does anyone volunteer?"

People looked awkwardly around the circle but no one seemed to want to be the Seeker.

"Rock, paper, scissors it is then. Everyone, hands in."

It only took two rounds for there to be five of the seventeen left. Fei was up against Rosalina, Sehun, Minseok and Chanyeol. They seemed to be stuck because no one could get out. Finally, after a couple more rounds, it was only Fei and Minseok left. Fei really didn't want to be "It" - she didn't even have a power that she could use to track everyone down.

"Are you ready, Fei?" Yifan asked.

"Yeah."

"One, two, three!"

Fei had panicked and gone with her fist. Unfortunately for her, Minseok had chosen to use paper. She was "It".

"Alright! We have our Seeker! Everyone has thirty seconds to get as far away from here as possible! Fei, close your eyes and count. Ready, eveyone? Go!"

Fei began to count and her palms got sweaty just hearing everyone's footsteps patter off into the distance. She wished she had found out what powers everyone in the EXO dorm had so she knew what to expect. Thankfully, she now knew the powers of the people from Draco house and that Yifan had some sort of flying power.

"Thirty! Ready or not, here I come!" Fei shouted into the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter