ONE

You Owe Me a Dance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“You owe me a dance. The best man is suppose to dance with the maid of honour.” Minzy said firmly, her eyes fixated on Jongin.

 

 

It’s been two months. The last time he saw her, she was lying on a hospital bed, crying silently for the lost of her baby...their baby...a product of Jongin’s drunken miserable night...the very same night Taemin and Soojung announced their engagement. That night, he took Minzy’s ity while calling desperately for Soojung’s name.

 

 

Jongin’s eyes ghosted over Minzy. She looked beautiful in the champagne coloured dress. She looked perfect but her eyes told a different story. Her eyes held a deep sense of loss...her eyes looked so withdrawn and lost.

 

 

“It’s good of you to actually show up at the wedding day.” Jongin grated with sarcasm. His eyes were spilling with hurt and fury. Minzy willingly bore the bouts of his unreasonable anger ever since his heart got broken. She accepted everything as if she deserved every attack he made.

 

 

Jongin is mad...at the world...at himself...everything in his life has gone downhill and he took it all out on Minzy. The girl he loves is now married to his best friend. He blamed Minzy...all because she chose to help Taemin with her cousin Soojung. Minzy promised Jongin that she’d help him convince Soojung that he’s the right guy for her.

 

 

Minzy stood in front of him, still waiting for his answer. He didn’t notice the desolation and sense of desperation in her eyes. He didn’t see the way her face looked like it was clinging to the very last hope that Jongin will finally have a change of heart. But as seconds passed by, the hope in her eyes slowly faded away.

 

 

“Maybe later Minzy. I need to get myself drunk before I can bear to touch you.” Jongin uttered in a low voice that felt like shards of glass piercing through Minzy’s heart. His remark hit right where it hurt.

 

 

She got reminded of the night he arrived drunk in her apartment, when he was at the lowest point of his life because Soojung and Taemin just announced their engagement earlier that night. Jongin appeared in Minzy’s door at three in the morning, his breath and scent reeking of alcohol. He drowned himself in alcohol after the engagement party and he was looking for one last thing to hit a home run of his downfall. Minzy took care of him, made him change his clothes; she gave him her bed while she settled in the couch. But he didn’t let go of Minzy’s hand that night, instead, he pulled her down with him on the bed and had with her while calling out Soojung’s name.

 

 

Minzy’s face blanched, her lips formed a straight line, and she looked like all her blood was drained from her face. Getting reminded of that night, it brought back all the pain she’s been trying to erase for the last two months that she’s been gone. She got reminded of the night they conceived her baby.

 

 

She wasn’t supposed to attend the wedding but she couldn’t say no to her cousin Soojung and her best friend Taemin. She also wanted to see Jongin. She hoped that in her absence, he would at least miss her, realize her importance in his life, and forgive her for letting him make love to her even though she knew that he would live to regret it. She understood where he was coming from, he was drunk, and she was sober. She could have used her strength and stop him, she could very well pack a punch and knock him dead that night...but she didn’t. He didn’t even have to force her, she just let him. The next morning, she woke up with Jongin missing in her bed. They never spoke about that night ever again until he found out she was pregnant.

 

 

Minzy took a deep breath, her lowered eyes finally held Jongin’s. That was it. Her very last effort before she raised her white flag and give up. She’s finally free to move on with her life.

 

 

“Okay. I understand. Thank you.” She gave out a sad reminiscent smile that confused Jongin.

 

 

“Good bye Jongin-ssi.” She bowed politely and spoke formally as if she was talking to a stranger. Minzy turned away.

 

 

He watched her back fade out in the crowd. She walked across the hotel function hall and made her way to her friend Luna. Her friend gave her a warm embrace and held her hand. Minzy shook her head and gave out a smile that didn’t reach her eyes. And after a few moments, she surreptitiously made her way to the exit.

 

 

And in that very moment where Jongin could no longer see Minzy, he felt like his gut was being punched a hundred times and his heart dropping in to a certain abyss. He couldn’t erase the gnawing feeling that he just made a mistake he’s going to regret for the rest of his life.

 

 

*****

 

 

Minzy got inside her car and took a deep breath as she gripped on the steering wheel. Her face was expressionless but tears kept falling from her eyes. A sense of bittersweet relief and freedom came over her.

 

 

That was the last time she’ll ever chase after him...the last time she’ll ever lower herself down for his mercy and attention. She’s all spent and dried. Now that she did everything she could, she’s finally free to move on....pick up the pieces and rebuild her shattered life.

 

 

She started her car and made her way home. Seoul felt sombre that night. The road was occupied by a few cars and buses. The stars and moon hid behind the dark gray clouds. She sighed as she stopped at an intersection.

 

 

It will be hard for her to forget him...but she’s going to do it. She’s going to forget his cruelty, she’s going to erase all the pain she felt and keep the good memories...the memories where everything was okay...where Taemin, Minzy and Jongin were still the inseparable and indestructible choreographer trio of their dance crew.

 

 

When the traffic lights went green, she stepped on the gas pedal to move her car only to be intercepted and blocked by a car. She gasped and froze as she recognized Jongin’s car blocking her way.

 

 

Why is he here? What does he want? Her heart began to beat wildly against her chest. She saw him step out of his car and went over to her. He knocked on the glass and she opened it, her eyes still in front, refusing to meet his eyes.

 

 

“You can’t just leave without a word. The ceremony isn’t finish yet.” He bent over, his eyes looking at Minzy’s shaken profile. It irked him on how she refuses to look at him.

 

 

“Luna already told Taemin and Soojung that I went ahead.” Minzy whispered, her knuckles getting white from her grip on the wheel. She heard Jongin chuckle.

 

 

“With a lame excuse of not feeling well? Do you think they’re going to buy that?” He asked sharply.

 

 

“I’m tired Jongin. I don’t want to fight. Just please let me go home.” Minzy’s voice shook and her lips trembled. Jongin felt his heart tug upon seeing Minzy’s frailty but the animosity in him took over before he could offer any sympathy.

 

 

“You’ve been missing for two months, you got everyone worried. Soojung and Taemin postponed their wedding because they needed you to be with them and you’re just going to leave like that just because of what? A little headache?” Minzy flinched. Taemin knew she went to Los Angeles but she made him swore in confidence. Soojung wanted her wedding to be perfect, and it would only be perfect if she was there...the cupid who led the two lovers together. And so the wedding was postponed until Minzy arrived back to Seoul.

 

 

“You’re going to upset Soojung and make her worry just because of a little headache?” Jongin taunted.

 

 

Minzy’s shoulders fell. It was all down to Soojung again. Everything falls down to Soojung where Jongin is concern. She closed her eyes and tried to clear her head from the growing resentment inside her.

 

 

“Fine. I’ll go back.” She resolved with defeat.

 

 

Sensing that Jongin wasn’t going to believe her if she didn’t look at him, she turned to him and held his gaze, her face masking her emotions. She looked at him straight in the eyes and repeated what she said.

 

 

“I’ll go back. I’ll follow you.” Jongin finally believed her.

 

 

*****

 

 

When they got back to the reception, Jongin led her towards Taemin and Soojung. He kept a smile on his face and held on to Minzy’s waist as if she was his personal prisoner. He had no intention of letting her go.

 

 

“Where have you been?” Soojung asked, her face getting a little tense. Minzy felt Jongin’s hand tightening on her waist as he pulled her closer to him.

 

 

“We just needed some fresh air and needed to talk. That’s all.” Jongin said gently. He always did everything to please Soojung. He treated her like a queen, never let anything upset her. And as much as Minzy wanted to resent Soojung for it, she couldn’t do it. Soojung is her cousin and she loved her genuinely. She’s the kind of girl no one can ever hate. She’s a sweet girl with a kind heart, her face is so beautiful and whenever she smiles, the room lights up...her voice is angelic and her body is perfect. She's never arrogant about her looks and status, she’s a very humble girl and she exudes elegance.

 

 

Minzy completely understood why Taemin and Jongin fell for Soojung.

 

 

“Yeah...just needed some fresh air.” Minzy mumbled, her eyes on the ground.

 

 

“Are you okay now?” Taemin looked at her with worried eyes and patted her head with concern. Minzy silently nodded.

 

 

“Well if so, I can’t let the night pass without dancing with my girl.” Taemin smiled. He looked at Soojung asking for permission and she playfully pushed him towards Minzy.

 

 

“Right, go dance with my husband. Make sure you return him in one piece.” Soojung smiled at Minzy.

 

 

That’s another thing with Soojung, she doesn’t have a jealous bone in her body.

 

 

Taemin led Minzy in the middle of the dance floor. He grabbed her hands and placed it on his shoulders while he placed his arms around her waist. He was looking at her face, trying to read her expression.

 

 

“Are you really okay now Minzy? I know you’ve gone through something really difficult lately and you still refuse to tell me. I do know that it has something to do with Jongin.” Taemin said softly. He chuckled at Minzy’s surprised expression.

 

 

“I know because everything’s all about Jongin where you’re c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter