Apprehension Demerits Anticipation

The Dark

Here's a surpise for everyone! It's a continuation (sorta). Anyways, typos and mistakes abound. I was hungry and I'm posting this at 2 AM.


 

Hakyeon gaped at the massive palace in front of him. He heard Jaehwan chuckle at his expression while Taekwoon took his hand and reasssuringly squeezed it. Wonshik, who turned back into a wolf, huffed and nudged Jaehwan forward. Said merman pushed the huge snout away from him then proceeded to drag Hakyeon to the drawbridge before them. The walk was quiet aside from the soft footfalls of the huge wolf following them. The amused silenced continued on until they were halfway to the massive doors of the castle. Hakyeon couldn't believe his eyes. Taekwoon lived here?!

"Yes, I do live here."

Apparently, Hakyeon said it out loud. He looked at Taekwoon, opening his mouth when they heard running footsteps coming their way from the castle. A few seconds later, a strawberry blonde male(?) emerged, his(her?) fangs gleaming in the moonlight as he(she?) was grinning from ear to ear. He heard Taekwoon sigh softly and pushed Hakyeon behind him as the male(?) Night creature jumped on Taekwoon and "Little brother~ you finally brought your partner!" And apparently, the creature was, "Hi, I'm Luhan but you can call me Lulu. I'm Taekwoonie's older brother!" What.

"Wonshikie~ Jaehwanie~ you guys are back early."

Luhan then proceeded to hug the merman and his husband, who had now transformed back into human form. 

"Lu hyung, you shouldn't be running around like that."

Hakyeon gaped as an ethereal (is he even corporeal?) being walked (more like glided) towards them. Taekwoon's older brother then skipped towards him to give him a kiss (what) and dragged him to where the group stopped.

"This is Sehunnie, my life partner. He's a Sky Prince."

Sky Princes were said to be rare and that they don't sully themselves with the impure aura of the mortal plain (whatever the hell that meant). And now, Hakyeon was seeing one in front of him.

"Taek hyung."

Hakyeon blinked as "Sehunnie" the Sky Prince began dragging Taekwoon's older brother (???) away and towards the looming tower.

"Was that for real?"

Jaehwan chuckled at the disbelieving tone and curled an arm around Hakyeon's. Wonshik shook his huge snout and lightly nudged the merman forward.

Jaehwan, in turn, swatted the cold snout away from his now wet bare arm. Hakyeon had always wondered (since he got dragged by said merman) as to why Jaehwan had worn only a short sleeved shirt but he guessed the fur lining the collar as well as the sleeves and hem of said shirt helped. Hakyeon wanted to point that out but what would he know about a merman's body temperature? (little did he know that the fur lining was actually from Wonshik and that they were giving off enough warmth for Jaehwan to wear short sleeved shirts).

They reached the looming doors of the castle peacefully after that. Hakyeon was still gaping at everything. After all, he didn't actually think that Taekwoon would live in a castle he barely gets a glimpse at whenever he goes to the market. Said castle was rumored to have been there long before their small town was erected. He had thought it was abandoned at first but then he noticed the huge amount of crows, ravens and owls coming in and out of the said castle. Taekwoon hadn't told him that he lived in here, only that he lived on the edge of town (Taekwoon never told him he had a family since he's family's antics might be too much for his mortal lover).

The door opened with as much creaks as it could possibly produce. Hakyeon winced slightly at the creepy creaks the huge wooden doors were emanating.

When the doors were wide open, fire blazed out of nowhere and lit up the wide, open spaced entrance hall. Or at least, it was the entrance hall in Hakyeon's mind.

He heard Taekwoon releasing a soft sigh that hinted of exasperation. Paying it no mind, Hakyeon looked his fill at the elegant chandeliers and well-spaced torches lining up the walls. He could see a couple of portraits on the far walls and at the center of the second landing of the grand staircase smack dab in the middle of the ground floor was a huge portrait of at least fourteen people wearing dark red royal clothes with gold, silver and sapphire lining.

The grand portrait (probably the biggest Hakyeon has seen) seemed to be made up of Taekwoon's entire family.


Each member had their black wings on display, making the portrait look both enchanting and intimidating.

"Ah, Taekwoon. You're home early."

Hakyeon nearly jumped in fright as a handsome being materialized out of thin air. Instead, he hid himself behind Taekwoon's broad shoulders.

The said being had sharp cheekbones and defined nose, making him look aristocratic. His hair was brushed to one side and shone a reddish brown hue in the brightened entrance hall.

"Father."

"Good evening, Uncle Yunho," chorused Wonshik and Jaehwan.

Hakyeon's eyes bulged as he heard Taekwoon call the handsome being as his father. No wonder Taekwoon looked so aristocratic.

"I thank you for the compliments, little one. But it is Taekwoon's mother that has lent one of my eldest sons his aristocratic face."

Hakyeon blinked and peeked at Taekwoon's father.

"How did you-"

"Father, please."

Taekwoon soft voice was heard in the silent hall.

"Ah, I'm sorry. I could not help it. Won't you introduce me to your partner, son?"

Hakyeon was mentally panicking. He wasn't dressed appropriately enough to meet Taekwoon's parent(s). He doesn't even know how to act in front of them. Squeezing Taekwoon's arm as if it was his only lifeline (at this rate, it would be), Hakyeon stared at Yunho with growing apprehension.

Taekwoon, sensing the the distress Hakyeon was feeling, tugged his arm and s his now freed arm to Hakyeon's waist. Yunho chuckled at the possessiveness his 5th son exuded. He also sensed the Day creature's distress at meeting his Night creature partner's parent(s).

"Ah. No need to distress yourself, little one. Our house may look imposing but it is complete and utter madness inside. Please make yourself comfortable. I will leave you two alone to explore the castle."

And to calm down, were the unsaid words Yunho managed to deliver. His eyes crinkled in amusement as Hakyeon nervously bobbed his head and offered a shaky smile of gratitude to the patriarch.

Yunho chuckled and waved the shaky gesture, "There is no need for thanks," at this he looked to the other couple, "out for an evening stroll, eh, Jaehwan, Wonshik?"

Jaehwan meekly giggled while Wonshik wolfishly grinned.

Yunho shook his head and was about to leave when he heard the sound of footsteps. He turned around to address the owner of the slightly shuffling pair of footsteps.

"What are you doing up, little star?"

Hakyeon peered at the new arrival who seemed to glow slightly. Said new arrival offered a sheepish smile and bowed slightly (it would seem that Yunho held a lot of authority at the castle but that's certainly a given since he's patriarch) to Yunho.

The new arrival looked... dazzling to put it in a way. Reddish ebony hair with slightly glowing greenish grey eyes and an overall shimmer to his body (or the skin Hakyeon saw) accentuated by his very dark clothes, a simple black shirt paired with a tight, dark fitting pair of pants. His face seemed to give off a very glowing appearance and the sheepish but bright smile had seemed to lighten up the room. Hakyeon also saw some type of adornment on the creature's left hand. A metallic bracelet shaped like a star resting on the back of his hand. The different chains linking it to his hands and wrist clinked merrily with each slight movement.

The creature neared Yunho, still wearing the sheepish smile.

"Sorry, dad.  Uh, well... You see, Sehunnie was being difficult about doing the fog and I left him with Lulu then I couldn't find Chanyeol anywhere so I just started wandering. Couldn't go back to sleep."

Yunho's rich chuckle echoed throughout the great hall. He then ruffled the little star's hair, causing some type of shiny dust (Hakyeon nearly gaped as he recognized what type of dust that was) to fall shimmering to the black marbled floor.

"I see. I do believe your partner is somewhere around this hall. He had lighted up the torches after all."

Hakyeon barely stifled a gasp as Yunho ruffled the figure's head again and saw stardust (for he knew that was stardust since it was a very popular fad to have a charm crystal or amber necklace with stardust inside) fall to the floor. And he barely registered a fiery, human-shaped pillar that had wings spread akin to that of a phoenix (Hakyeon read a lot of books about Night creatures) appearing right beside the new arrival.

It materialize into a very tall man(boy?) that could very well had rivalled Taekwoon's height. He had ash grey hair and eyes that glowed like the embers of fire left alone for too long or that of the coals in a blacksmith's furnace. But what caught Hakyeon's attention was how he had hugged the Star (with a capital S) whilst still on fire.

"A Phoenix Fire couldn't burn through his partner's skin or people he trusts."

Jaehwan's helpful quip nearly made Hakyeon jump (and gods be damned, he was so bloody jumpy tonight), causing Taekwoon to grip his waist tighter and a glare at the perpetrator. The mermen merely shrugged, meaning no harm about it.

"Hey, Baek. Sorry, was waiting for older brother Taek to show up at the doorstep. Chanhye and older brother Lulu said that we'd get to meet his partner today. Hongbin was here too awhile ago-"

"Where's that little prankster?"

Chanyeol, fully aware of the audience, shrugged, "Off to check on his little hellion of a partner. Sanghyuk went down under to harvest some Crimson Chains for Karam and older brother Yixing."

At this, Hakyeon felt Taekwoon stiffen. 

"Why would Yixing need those flowers?"

Chanyeol, carefully petting his partner's head, shrugged again saying something about, "needing to discipline older brother Yifan again for nearly causing a forest fire in the forest containing older brother Yixing's medicine ingredients."

"And Karam?"

Taekwoon had to make sure the 8th wasn't causing any mischief while Hakyeon was here. Chanyeol chuckled sensing the reason why his older brother was curious.

"He needed to make contained fireballs for brother-in-law Junmyeon to practice since Yifan would probably be indisposed as of..." Chanyeol made a show of casting a time charm, "at dawn. Precisely, at the 5th or 6th hour. Yixing made sure Karam can make the fireballs before he can punish Yifan."

"Did Yifan do the forest fire on purpose or was it an accident?"

The "again" was clearly at the end of the patriarch's question but never uttered. Chanyeol shrugged and gripped the little star's waist as said Star started swaying in tiredness.

"Alright," Chanyeol chuckled deeply, "come on, princess. You need to get back up to your tower."

The said Star only nodded sleepily as he let himself be carried bridal style by his, no doubt, partner. Chanyeol offered Hakyeon a grin that made his left eye twitch and bowed.

"Its nice to meet Taekwoon's partner. My name's Chanyeol. The sleeping princess here is Baekhyun but you'll get the formal meet and greet later. See ya!"

At this, Hakyeon bobbed his head and watched as Chanyeol's phoenix wings emerged and the two vanished up to the high ceiling.


A/N: Yes. I'll be continuing this story but I will be marking it complete since originally I planned for this to be only a one shot (my hands and mind seem to think otherwise).