ICE CREAM

ICE CREAM

Junhoe instinctively tightens the jacket and fix his beanie as the cold weather hits him hard once he walks out of the studio. It’s 4 am and he’s worn out already, his eyelids dropped down and swollen due to the 22 hours of nonstop working, all he needs is only sleep right now. He’s been longing for the soft comfortable bed and drown himself to dream. Damn man, he no longer cares about the yelling sound of Hanbin and Bobby teasing each other behind, throwing some dorky jokes and laughing along. His teeth gritted, either despite the coldness or the double B’s dumbness. Muttering something about ‘dumb hyungs’ in a lower tone, until someone’s arm wrapped around his shoulder which is not surprises him at all, and a high-pitched voice starts filling his ears.

 

“Junhoe! Let’s buy some ice creams.”

It was Donghyuk, with a thin pastel blue sweater looking tired as well and all, yet a small smile still curled up on his lips blocking the tiredness behind. Junhoe wasn’t answering and keeps walking so Donghyuk added,

 

“C’mon. I’ve asked Yunhyung hyung to company me but he collapsed already.” His lower lip juts out into a small pout, trying to gain a little bit of Junhoe’s humanity. Junhoe has known that Yunhyung is the most sleepy head amongst the members, so he’s probably asleep in the studio giving Jinhwan troubles to drag him to the car, literally.

 

“Go ask Chanwoo.” He ignores Donghyuk’s aegyo, rolling his eyes like he 24/7 always does, it’s the end of January and the weather just doesn’t seem to be friends.

 

“He doesn’t want to!”

 

“So what makes you think I would.”

Being the mean and care less friend he always be, the grumpy taller boy almost reaches to the parking place. But it’s not Donghyuk if he didn’t drag the bigger guy to the street and says confidently.

 

“You just would.”

 

---

It’s the end of January with a great higher possibility to catch a cold, yet right now, Junhoe is sitting in front of 24 hours opened store, on a little bench trying hard to ignore the angry air hitting the back of his ears with coldness. And there is Donghyuk looking so bright and all, stuffing his mouth nonstop with choco cone.

“Are you sure you don’t want some?” Donghyuk kindly offers his ice cream, adds, “I can go back to the store and buy you one if you want to. I bet you like the mocca flavor?”

 

“Just keep eating and let’s go home soon, Donghyuk.”

 

Donghyuk’s lips pouted once again, muttering something about ‘grumpy June’ and the already melted ice cream in his hand. Junhoe has no idea how could someone long for ice cream this much, not mentioning the cold weather and all, in this early morning after the mega tiring hard work for almost a day? Did he even know tiredness, he wonders.

“You must be tired,” says Donghyuk again, this time in a lower tone with a thin guiltiness in his voice.

 

“Obviously.” Junhoe rolls his eyes again, spinning the cold coffee can in his hand. His eyes are wandering around the empty streets, that sooner will be filled with tons of humans and their boring activities. Cars, the walking students, trams, noisy people with a lot of thoughts.

 

“I’d bring you to the warmer place, next time.”

 

“Don’t even dare to think about ‘next time’.” Junhoe snorts, is ready to snap out before Donghyuk breaks into a soft laugh. The tender voice he always has, the sweet falsetto that always follows once the mouth opened.

 

“Thank you. I’m really in the need of escaping.”

 

Junhoe arches a brow, letting a frown formed on his forehead. The sadness in the voice is too easy to notice, his sight wanders to Donghyuk’s presence and there, there he meets the beautiful yet sad eyes on his face.

 

He doesn’t always notice people’s sadness. He is the one who always only pays attention to himself, walking confidently as if he is the center of the world. Of course he knows that human experiences sadness and guilty, and some people that unluckily being the closest person in his life must be ever feeling this. But he’s awful at feeling. He at comforting people, most of all, because he’s lack in experience. There are always time when he feels angry, or sad, but he gets over it too damn fast. He probably grows up too fast. All he knows is that human needs to get over it. Why do we over think and stay down for too long if we can tighten the seatbelt and sprint faster than before?

 

He chuckles at his own thought and stares to the empty street once again.

“Having a bad terrible day, I see.”

 

Donghyuk can’t help chuckling along.

“Weeks, technically.” He finished on his ice cream and added. “Missing people you can no longer meet.”

 

A small smile slipped from Junhoe’s lips. Not because the honest sad story Donghyuk just blurted out, but because his friend finally finds a way to heal the pain for a while. It’s funny that in other hand, he saw Donghyuk as the most opposite magnet of him amongst the all. The smiley and kind brother he luckily has, the one with kind heart even though sometimes the person could get him on his nerves when he starts being clingy and all. Junhoe remembers the days they used to experience with. The nervous Donghyuk when he hit the not wrongly or when his note kept failing apart. The day he found Donghyuk practicing alone until the morning because he doesn’t want to disappointed the rest members. The day he found Donghyuk breaks in crying silently in the first month he came because the vocal teacher scolds him hard and blames him for damaging the vocal group’s built harmony. It was somehow funny, that the person next to him is finally have a strong position in the group. And he felt grateful.

 

“Do you miss your father?” Junhoe can’t help asking due to the curiosity, which is he rarely has.

 

Donghyuk nods in silent, and Junhoe needs no more explanation but just lets Donghyuk wanders on his thought. Trying not to notice the silent tears dropped along the little guy’s warm cheeks, he looks for another topic to talk about since he really, really doesn’t want to see Donghyuk crying.

 

But the air is cold, and they shiver for warmness.

 

“Let’s go home?” asks Donghyuk after a while, he actually longs for another cup of ice cream but it’s more than enough to kidnap the worn out Junhoe for almost 15 minutes to go out.

 

Junhoe knows Donghyuk needs more little time to heal, so he turns his head to the opened store, finds the ice creams spot and turns back to Donghyuk.

“Let’s be here a little longer.”

and in addition for Donghyuk’s confusion he speaks again, “and I don’t like the mocca one so buy me vanilla.”

 

 

-----------------FIN------------------------

 

Hello this is my first story in here!

I know it lacks in many things and this one is so short like a drabble instead- uh. Sorry english is not my first language. 

I'll try better next time. Thanks for reading this! :)