Roommates

Roommates

 

It was a bright Sunday morning, a perfect time for people to go out and spend their free day with their loved ones, either by a relaxing amusement park date, movie date, food trip date or just some quality time bonding.

 

Among those who can’t however, two girls can be seen, each holding a box that was wrapped in packaging tape.

 

Seulgi, and her now ex roommate, are on the hallway of their dorm unit, getting down the latter’s stuff before saying their farewells. The other had decided to move out now they would be studying on different university.

 

Loading the boxes on the waiting ride, the taller girl tapped her companion’s shoulders.

 

“I’ll miss you Seungwan…you know you’re my only true friend here”

 

Said the one that has a smile that resembles a cuddly animal.

 

“I’ll miss you too Seul, you’re my best friend for life and that won’t ever change”

 

Replied the known olaf.

 

Hugging each other tight, mist started to cloud the vision of the girl who claimed of not having double eyelids.

 

“Yah…Don’t make it hard for me to leave you bear…”

 

Wendy frowned, trying to lighten the mood for both of them since she had always been the stronger one in that kind of thing.

 

“Don’t replace me ok? I’ll hunt you down if you do”

 

She then added, wiping the tears away from her buddy’s eyes.

 

“That’s my line you derp…Don’t replace me too or else…”

 

And with their goodbyes ending in warm hugs and sweet farewells, the two had officially taken their own path.

 

****
 

“Seulgi…Kang Seulgi…”

 

Looking for her name as she carefully scanned the class list, time flew by faster than expected and the teddy bear is now on her graduating year, taking up Art studies in Seoul Art School.

 

Seeing her name at last, it made her frown, not because she was disappointed or something, it’s just she still belonged at the same block with the same classmates. Well, that much is expected.

 

Getting the information she needed, she then decided to head home since there was nothing else she could do there anymore.

 

Going back to her dorm, it was when she was going inside her room that she saw a small note in a green post it, hanging on the top part of the wooden door, making her wonder on who could have sent it.

 

She then reads it in curiosity.

 

“To Ms. Kang, please meet me at the Velvet Café at the other side of the street. I happen to lose my key and the dorm master said you carry the duplicate. I’m sorry for troubling you, I promise to make it up for it. I will be waiting. Thank you.

 

- Your new roommate -

 

PS: I’m wearing a baby pink coat and my hair is in pony tail”

 

Raising an eyebrow at the yellow ink that was used, she found the said note very childish, laughing at the small doodle at the bottom in which she could not even identify.

 

“A new roommate huh? It’s been a while since I had one…”

 

Though it had been years since her best buddy moved out, no one really got to fill the empty spot that the girl left and it made her wonder as well, not to mention boring since she had the place all to herself. But then again, she’s already used to being alone so she wonders on how she would adjust now she’d have someone else to share the small space with.

 

She then started to imagine what the other girl could possibly be like. A tall and outgoing girl? A small and cute one? A dork and weird again? Or someone serious time?

 

Smiling at the neat writing, she then giggled. It feels like high school all over again and she looks towards meeting the new border, just like how she did with Wendy.

 

“I must tell that snowman about this”

 

Giggling as she then got her phone out, she happily texted her best friend about the good news.

 

****
 

“Remember Seul, tell her everything from the very start. Give her a heads up on your sleeping habits before you traumatize her for life”

 

Laughing at the last reminder of her dear buddy, Seulgi just shrugged at the words with an “I know, you don’t have to tell me” reply. It had been years since the two have talked and it feels nice to know that the midget hasn’t changed a single bit.

 

“Text me the details later ok? I have social studies now and that bald professor will scold me if I take too long. Later buddy~”

 

Hanging up at the call, the tall girl smiled albeit weekly. She had truly missed the company of the shorter one.

 

And while she was reminiscing about good old times, her feet finally lead her to the written meeting place.

 

“Velvet Café…It’s been a while since I’ve eaten here…”

 

Pushing the door open, she then entered the shop, her long black coat grazing the glass frame a little bit as she walked in and to find the girl she decided to see.

 

“Baby pink…”

 

Scanning around as the people inside started to take interest in her surprising entrance, she then lowered her head, a little uncomfortable with how the stares started to envelop her being.

 

A little while more, all resumes to whatever they were doing and the curiosity about the new comer died down. 

 

To her surprise, she never saw someone in pink, making her dig her coat to read the post it once more.

 

“I don’t think I’m seeing wrong now…”

 

She then wondered, looking up to see no one in sight with such bright color. She even scratched her head in confusion.

 

In her wondering, a tap on her shoulders broke her train of forming thoughts.

 

“Uhh, excuse me?”

 

Turning around to see a taller girl in black and white uniform, she then raises her eyebrows. She had this roundish face and cute chubby cheeks that was accented by her long straight hair that was tied in a neat pony tail.

 

“M…My new roommate?”

 

She then stuttered her greeting when a pink coat managed to invade her line of vision.

 

“Oh! So you are Miss Kang~ Please to meet you”

 

The girl said, bowing in 90 degrees in a respectful greeting.

 

“Please to meet you too…”

 

Returning the favor, Seulgi did the same.

 

****
 

“Oh~ so you went to the same high school unnie?”

“Yes. No wonder your uniform looks familiar somehow”

 

Chatting away as both girls got pass the “hi-hello” stage, they began talking freely and comfortably inside the cozy looking cafeteria as they now moved on to the “getting-to-know” stage, taking turns in exchanging information and some experiences as they go along the way.

 

“Oh, by the way Joy, I hope you won’t be shocked, but I do have some…weird sleeping habits”

 

Carefully choosing her words as the reminder hit her all of a sudden, the older girl frankly confessed as she saw nothing wrong with it, hoping the other would not think strangely of her somehow.

 

At the words she heard, the younger girl suddenly choked on her drink, coughing a little as the other worriedly handed her a box of tissue.

 

“T-thanks unnie…sorry too”

“It’s ok. Are you alright though?”

“Yes. I’m fine. Just surprised that’s all”

 

As the other girl regained her composure, she then tucked her hair behind her ears as she just made a fool out of herself, and in their first meeting too.

 

“Actually…if it’s like that, then I guess I could understand...since I’m on the same boat…kinda”

 

Joy then explained, lowering her head a bit as she shyly smiled.

 

Giggling at the statement, the older girl began to wonder on what could be more worst than occasional hibernating and loud snoring.

 

She then wondered if the other was being courteous of her so that she won’t feel offended. That or the other had a bizarre habit after all.

 

Either way, she felt thankful never the less.

 

“I still think I have it worst than you”

 

The known teddy bear finally smiled after the short silence.

 

Shaking her head as she mentally rolled on the floor laughing, the younger girl just giggled at her innocently.

 

“You’ll know soon enough unnie…just wait for it”

 

It was the other said before their conversation ended.

 

“Eh?”

 

Looking at how cute and adorable the taller girl is, it never dawned to her on what the other might mean on the words.

 

It was so much later when the answer about her curiosity came sooner than she had imagined.

 

****
 

After months of spending time with the new companion, it was that short time when Seulgi realized how similar yet different to her the younger girl could be. The most noticeable was the other’s sleeping habits.

 

Though she didn’t mind at first, the alarming changes began to make her worried as she tried to seek advice, making her remember the snowman replica of a friend. At this, she decided to go and ask for her buddy’s advice, going to the far-away place despite of not being fond of long travels and being lonely at the process of it too.

 

Sitting on the cafeteria lounge at the foreign school she decided to drop by, the eye smiling bear told her tales about her new dorm mate as she retold the scenario with over flowing enthusiasm, making the only listener smile fondly at her as she waited for the other to finish.

 

Though Wendy was glad that the other still keeps in touch with her, ever since the art senior got a new roommate, all she talked about was (in her friend’s words) the younger girl’s weird and bothersome sleeping habits. It sure made her curious as to why the other even paid attention to such trivial thing.

 

It was then that she suggested that they talk about it in person, just so the other could let it out and perhaps spend some time with her ex-roommate once again.

 

By the end of the seemingly nonsense blabbing, the Music major senior pushed the plate of sliced fruits to her pal. They were currently on her school so she decided to be a good host to her comrade who gave her a visit.

 

“Hey, are you sure you’re the one to talk? I mean, she must have a say on your habits as well right?”

 

The known olaf asked, taking a sip on the orange juice she ordered for both of them with her sitting across the other girl.

 

Laughing ungracefully at the inquiry, Seulgi shifted the topic off her own.

 

“Were not talking about my sleeping habits here, we’re talking about Joy’s…”

 

Folding her arms as she crossed them in x-pattern, Wendy decided to let her off. It had been Joy this, Joy that all the while.

 

“Then? What about hers?”

 

Letting out a sigh at the words, it made the shorter girl wondered.

 

“Hey, how bad it could be? Why did you have to sigh?”

 

She soon furrowed her eyebrows in confusion when a short silence followed suit.

 

“It was not as bad as before actually. But she talks in her sleeps… and suddenly stands up…”

 

Recalling one of the more recent incidents, the taller one re-enacted the scene with such detail as she seriously stated her worry on her dilemma.

 

“…and gets ready for school”

 

At the words she just heard, Wendy couldn’t help but let out a chortle. That actually made her laugh, no matter how hard she was controlling herself as to not to be rude.

 

Seeing how the other cracked up in chuckles, the bear continued her unfinished story.

 

“There was this time actually…”

 

Hands flailing as she tried to make her point, she then smiled wider when the memory flashed her mind once more.

 

“…It was in the middle of the night when I woke her up…saying that she should go to school…”

 

With how her arms moved up and down in flow with her story, every movement gave life to the tale and it seems like the bear was giving her best to redo that moment.

 

“…then she went…Oh, oh, oh?!”

 

Making the gesture the younger roommate did, the older girl did not forget to make the same expression to add realistic touches.

 

“…Then she started packing her bag…”

“…But she was still sleeping…”

 

Not knowing when it was that she actually given up on trying, the shorter one lowered her head to hide her creased eyebrows as she stifled her laughter because it was getting harder to breathe.

 

“So I just said, go back to sleep”

 

She then shook her head to take in the air, as the taller girl was going on and on without taking a break.

 

“Then she immediately fell back asleep in her bed…”

“…Her sleep habits are odd”

 

Finally ending her seemingly eternal tale of randomness from her younger roommate, Seulgi noticed the other girl who had been unusually silent.

 

“Hey…are you ok?”

 

She then asked, in which the other nodded and show her tear stained face. She had been crying tears of joy and was now fanning her face to calm herself.

 

Letting the other take a short break, it was when the midget signaled an ok sign that she added an epilogue to her novel.

 

“And guess what she said to me the next day?”

 

Too tired to even utter a word, Wendy just gesture the other to continue.

 

“There must be another identity present in me, I didn’t really know…”

 

As both girls began laughing out loud at the story, time went ahead of them as they were too occupied to take notice of it.

 

“Oh my god that was so…”

 

Holding her stomach as they she slumps her head on the table, the taller one smiled at the sight of her best buddy, seemingly having the time of her life.

 

In actuality, although she was worried, she can’t help but feel nice at how the younger girl even manage to make both of them enjoy the short time spent. They actually bonded just like before even if it’s just her telling random tales about her roommate’s weird sleeping habits.

 

It was when an alarm went off that Wendy realized it had become rather late.

 

“But really, she’s just cute like that. I think there’s nothing to worry”

 

Patting her friend on her shoulders, she then smiled.

 

“I guess so…”

 

Seulgi replied in return.

 

And with that said, both girls stood up from the cafeteria since it was way past school time and the bear should be heading home if she still wants to make it for the last trip on the bus ride.

 

Escorting her along the road, the shorter girl noticed the satisfied look on the other’s face and decided to give one of her strange ideas in exchange to their worthwhile catching up.

 

And along her ride home, the echoing words hunted the slightly older girl as she blamed her derp buddy who gave her such weird thoughts.

 

“If you can…the next time she sleeps talk, listen to her and reply a thing or two”

 

It was when she finally came back to her dorm, and onto the shared room that she regretted listening to the half pint.

 

****
 

“Hey unnie~ I’m…home?”

 

Trailing off as she doesn’t see the girl she was talking about, Joy wondered around in confusion, it was already 9 pm and the older one can’t be seen anywhere, making her rummage through the most random places and even checks her phone for any message or miss call.

 

When she found none, she then sighed. Maybe the other just gone off somewhere and she shouldn’t be too worried.

 

It was when she was about to go out of the room when she saw a tall someone standing in front of the door, hand balled up and is ready to knock anytime.

 

“Oh! Unnie? You’re home?”

 

She then said, having seen the girl she was looking for.

 

Seeing a nod, the older girl shoved a plastic bag of some sort, making the taller one wonder on what could it be.

 

“You’re favorite. Figured I’d go and grab you some since you said you’d be late for a project”

 

Raising a curious eyebrow, it was when the smell of something spicy filled her senses, along the familiar aura of her most beloved food.

 

“Oh! Chicken~!”

 

She then rejoiced, eyes forming crescents as she jumped up and down.

 

At this, Seulgi felt something unusual at the sight of the happy face, making her follow along as she wondered what it was that she can’t point a finger at.

 

Deciding to let it slide for now, she then pointed at the bought meal.

 

“Well, thanks for your enthusiasm but I suggest that we eat before it gets cold”

 

Raising an arm of salute, the younger girl shouted an eager reply.

 

“YES MAM~!”

 

Giggling at the words, the tables and necessary utensils were all set in a flash as the younger girl took care of it all.

 

Oh the power of food among the shikshin.

 

When everything is in place, they sat down and the blazing hot steam emitting from the breading-embraced food made them hungry at the sight.

 

“Let’s eat~!”

 

And with that said, both girls ate with smiles on their faces.

 

All the while as they devoured the poor chicken, it was only then that the older girl felt grateful that the younger came to her life, bringing the JOY that had eluded her for the past years.

 

****
 

Time went by again and it was when Seulgi grew very alarmed at the growing closeness she shared with the younger roommate. Though she was adamant at denying it, she knew for a fact that she had taken a huge liking for the giant baby.

 

Since she didn’t want the other to suffer the feeling of having found that one thing you feel connected with, just so to be taken from you, so she decided to distance herself for a while, making up random excuses and lame lies so that she could spend less time with the other. It had hurt her so much to know that her former roommate needed to move out and she didn’t want Joy to go through the same pain she did.

 

She didn’t want to engrave a deeper wound since the other had expressed a fondness towards her, and it made things more complicated than it could ever be.

 

However, to her surprise, the other grew tired of her obvious attempt at pulling them apart, and how dense she is to see the taller girl’s feelings.

 

In contrast to what she wanted, it seemed that she was hurting more and she felt stupid for even thinking something equally foolish.

 

So, when that one nighttime came, she decided to apologize to the younger girl.

 

It was when the cute maknae was deeply immerse in dream land that she actually lost her mind to try that one thing her derp friend has talked to her about.

 

“Hey…Joy?”

 

She then asked, seeing how her companion was now uttering words that seem like a foreign language of some sort.

 

She was sleep talking again.

 

If it were like the past nights, then she would have ignored it or had slept it off, not minding it since it will likely involved her daily talks of home works and school activities.

 

But this time around, since she can’t seem to sleep (which is very unusual in her case), she decided to be up and listen to it for once.

 

“…unnie…”

 

Inching closer so she could make out the words, she then sat herself at the other’s bed, careful not to wake the sleeping girl.

 

“…Don’t leave me…”

 

Feeling a pang of guilt and a wave of emotions running through her, the older one bit her lips in remorse, her dongsaeng was obviously thinking about her even in her sleep.

 

“Sooyoung ah…”

 

It was when she was removing the hair that was covering the younger girl’s face that she felt something wet landed on her fingers.

 

“Tears?”

 

She even felt guiltier to know she was the cause of it. She then felt mist started to cloud her eyes too, making her hold onto the white sheets.

 

“I’m sorry Joy…I never wanted to leave you…I swear, if only I could, I wouldn’t want to…”

 

She then caressed the other’s face as she wiped the droplets of water away.

 

“…unnie…”

 

Speaking once again, it made the older girl silent as she listens patiently.

 

“…I…like…you…”

 

Stunned at the words she just heard, it made her wide eyed. It was what she had been dreading to hear.

 

“…I…really like you…”

 

As she began sobbing, the younger girl clenched her fist as she furrowed her eyebrows, tears still flowing freely as she weeps in her sleep.

 

“…Don’t leave me please…”

 

Not daring to move at first, it was when Seulgi saw the hurt expression that she decided to throw everything at the wind. She’s not the type to do reckless things but she could always make and exception, especially if it involves a certain giant maknae.

 

“If I only knew it would be this hard, then maybe I shouldn’t have fallen for you too…”

 

Closing her eyes as she didn’t think twice, she leaned in and kissed the other’s lips, softly, gently, until the crying sounds stops.

 

“I love you Park Sooyoung…and I’m never leaving you…”

 

Caressing the other’s face once more, she planted another kiss on Joy’s forehead before tucking the girl carefully as she went onto her own bed.

 

Little did she knew, the other opened her eyes just in time, feeling her flaming lips that left a strong warm feeling that began creeping up to her face.

 

****
 

Seeing a girl that was slumping in her table, the now senior Business major student smiled at the sight, it was her roommate unnie that was over working again in the coldness of the night.

 

“Unnie…you’re going to catch a cold with that…”

 

She then said, going onto their now shared bed (all because she nagged the older girl to join theirs) to get a warm blanket she could use to cover the tired lady.

 

Seeing how the other shifted because of the warmth that embraced her, she then laughed at the sight.

 

“Really…you’re such a bear unnie…”

 

She then said in fondness, looking at the sleeping figure that was like a hibernating mammal.

 

She was then reminded of the time she received the older girl’s confession.

 

After that night where she got to witness her unnie’s true feelings, Joy was never the same and she blamed the oblivious girl for it. It was nothing but an accident and she had really been speaking her mind that time, all thanks to her unknown stress because of how the dense girl seems to tear them apart.

 

In all honestly, she was still in the land of dreams until something soft landed on her lips, making her come back to reality as she was unsure if she was dreaming all along or it was happening for real. The only thing that assured her was the warmth that covered her own and she immediately closed her eyes when she felt the emptiness once again.

 

To her surprise, the other even added the “I love you” part and she was more than taken aback, she felt like she was literally on cloud nine and she was not really sure if she was still breathing when all that happened.

 

The following day, as if the previous happening was not enough, it was even more of a surprise when the older one asked her to spend the weekends with her, telling her that she would introduce her to a close friend that had been mentioned more than necessary sometime ago when they were still ordinary roommates.

 

“I’m finally going to meet Wendy unnie?”

 

She then asked in surprise, the bear girl was still adamant but she had a feeling that she should let her buddy know.

 

“Yes, finally. Sorry it took time, I was kinda waiting…for the right timing”

 

With the blushing so obvious, it was when the younger girl realized that the other really meant that she either want to introduce her as something more, or she was not sure of her feelings until that time. Either way, her delusional mind strongly believed it’s either of the two and she felt embarrassed now that she thinks about it.

 

“I…don’t mind the wait…”

 

She then blurted out of the blue, making both girls blushed when they met each other’s gaze.

 

“Y-Yeah…right. S-Should we get going?”

 

It was at times like this that the older girl wished she could just muster up her courage and brush her vocabulary so that she could say the words she had been dying to say.

 

“S-Sure…”

 

And with both girls agreeing, they took the bus ride to where the short buddy lives.

 

****
 

After the reunion and long catching up that was coupled with warm blossoming of new found friendship, Joy and Seulgi sadly said their goodbyes to Wendy as they instantly clicked as friends, promising to visit her next time to have another chat at the midget who was like a brother to the bear and could easily pass as a mother to the maknae.

 

“Next time, I’ll be the one to introduce a new friend

 

The Canadian said in half smirk, specifically at the chic looking girl.

 

“Sure, just give us a call. Where ready any time, right unnie?”

“Yeah…right”

 

Nodding at them as she pointed the upcoming bus, the shortest girl waved them a goodbye.

 

“I’ll be waiting ok? Call me~”

 

Contemplating as she had been ever since they announced their departure, the older girl took a deep breath before moving , hugging her olaf buddy all of a sudden.

 

“By that next time, I’ll bring someone more than a friend”

 

Ending the words as she whispered it, the younger one couldn’t help but hear it anyways. She doesn’t know why but ever since then, she had acquired this sonic ears and she was more than glad she did.

 

When they said being in love can sharpen your senses, maybe it’s true after all.

 

“Bye Seungwan~ take care”

 

Catching up just in time before the door closes, the close pals gave meaningful glances before the rectangular shaped ride ended their moment.

 

Eyes eyeing as they scanned for a vacant space, the taller girl was about to take the one near them when Seulgi pointed the further seats. Though she was surprised, the jolly dongsaeng still nodded in the end.

 

Sitting side by side at the second to the last spot, the duo chose the 2-seater as the younger one sat at the one near the window, with the older girl beside her.

 

Thinking that her plan would best work out that way, it took about 30 more minutes and a lot of deep pondering before the bear could get into the right mood. She then summons all her courage as she began commencing her plan.

 

****
 

Seeing the setting sun, Joy was momentarily distracted and looked at the orange ball of light, wanting to show it to her seatmate when a soft something landed on her shoulders instead.

 

“U-Unnie...?”

 

She suddenly felt her body stiffening a little at the sudden contact.

 

Wanting to remove the head that was now on her, she was about to nudge the round thing when she heard soft mumbles, almost inaudible if it weren’t for her ears that was place near the other’s lips.

 

“…Joy…”

 

Obviously hearing her name, she then shifted a little, wanting to get the other at least comfortable as she listened at the words at same time.

 

“…I…like…you…”

 

It was when she heard those particular words that something went up to her face in an instant, filling her cheeks with warmth as she blushed furiously. Not knowing when and how, all she knows now is that she wanted to stop her heart from beating fast, or else she would wake the older girl with its loud thumping.

 

“…I’m not leaving you…”

 

It took those few words for her to give up on trying, linking her arms to the older girl’s as she rested her head on the other’s own.

 

Smiling at the memory at the past, she then went onto the sleeping unnie as she embraced the other from behind, feeling the moment as she closed her eyes.

 

“Thank you unnie…for staying by my side…”

 

It took her a lot of effort to detach herself on the cuddly teddy bear before she placed a soft kiss on the other’s cheeks.

 

“…and…I love you too…”

 

Joy then said, before she felt sleepiness bestowed her as well.

 

“Good night unnie~”

 

She chanted last before turning off the lights.

 

Opening her eyes as when she felt the other had gone to their shared bed, Seulgi felt dazed as she held her cheeks, feeling something warm rushing past her.

 

It was then she thought that staying behind and continues being the other’s roommate was not as bad as she thought it would. After all, that’s what made her and the younger girl together and she couldn’t ask for more.

 

It took about a short while of staring into nothingness before she resumed back to sleep.

 

Smiling wide as she regretted nothing of her decisions, for sure from here on, she would be having a great dream every night.

 

- THE END -

 

Well, good to see our JoyGi couple progressing more these days~ please keep the moments coming! JoyGi hwaiting~! >:]

 

And to all my viewers, commentors and subscribers ~ I love you all! Thank you for you're support! I see some of you following me faithfully and I'm more than grateful for it. Thank you very much~ I hope you guys will continue giving me your LUV~ you guys are jjang~! ^_^

 

Until my next fic~ Jya neh! ^^;

 

PS: @Danshinduo: LOL, your comment made me giggle. What the heck does it takes to become and "official JoyGi fic writer?", am I not one yet? or am I not qualified? haha XD