Unfinished Business

In Between Life and Death

Today, was supposed to be the happiest day of my life.

My wedding day. I’m getting married to the person I love the most, Park Joora.

I met her at the university, five years ago. She saw me crying inside the library, after some incident that almost destroyed my whole world. She taught me how to live again, after everything that happened. And little by little, I learned to love her. And now, I’ll marry her.

Can life get any better?

“Jonghyun-ah~! Jonghyun-ah~! Joora is calling! Answer the phone~! Hurry~!” my phone rang.

I laughed gently after hearing my ringtone. Joora recorded it some time after our 3rd year anniversary, when I was sleeping. Silly, isn’t she? That’s what I liked about her.

I quickly picked up my phone, but it accidentally slipped from my hand, and fell down.

“Shoot,” I mumbled, as I tried my very best to get my phone without taking my eyes off the road.

Maybe it would be okay if I would pick it up for a while?

I looked down, and I found my phone. I grabbed it, and focused my eyes on the road again.

But before I knew it, everything was a blur.

--

I slowly opened my eyes, and I was blinded by the light. I tried my very best to open my eyes, and I found myself inside a white room. I got up from where I was lying, then looked around. I am inside a hospital room.

What am I even doing here? I’ll be late for our wedding! Joora must be waiting for me in the church. I can’t make her wait.

Just when I was about to get off from the bed, the door suddenly opened, revealing Joora with blood-shot eyes.

She fell on her knees, and cried really hard.

I quickly ran towards her. “Joora, why are you crying? What’s wrong?”

“J-jonghyun.. P-please.. D-don’t..” she said in between sobs.

“Don’t?” I asked.

She didn’t answer me. Instead, she just cried harder.

“Jonghyun! How can this happen!” I heard my mom shout, as she entered the room. She was crying really hard, too.

“Mom, I’m here!” I said, but she just passed me by.

Didn’t she hear me?

I really am confused right now.

I went outside the room just to see my best friends Onew and Minho talking to the doctor. My older sister was seated in between Taemin and Key. Her head was lying on Key’s shoulder, while Taemin held her hand. She was crying as well.

“Noona, please Be strong for Jonghyun hyung,” Taemin said, as he rubbed my sister’s hand.

Be strong for me? Why? What happened? Can’t they see that I’m completely fine? What are they talking about?

“Noona?” I called, but I received no response.

What is this all about?

“Seriously, guys! What’s happening? Why can’t anybody hear me?” I asked them, but they didn’t answer me. “I need answers! Please! Somebody, answer me!”

“They really won’t hear you.” A voice from behind me suddenly said.

FINALLY! Someone heard me.

I looked behind me, and saw a tall girl with long, black, and curly hair. She is wearing a long, white dress, and is standing leaning against the wall.

“You can hear me?” I asked, just to make sure.

She nodded. “Of course.”

“Are they pulling a prank on me? Why wouldn’t they answer my questions? Why can’t they hear me? ‘Cause seriously, this isn’t a good joke.”

“You’re still the same, Jonghyun. You’re still the same.”

I curled my eyebrows. “What do you mean? And, why do you know my name?”

She slowly looked up, and then smiled.

She’s the person I least expected to see.

YOORA.

“Y-yoora?” I stuttered.

She walked towards me. “Long time no see, Jonghyun.”

I blinked. “H-how? B-but.. Y-you’re de—“

“Dead?” she cut me off. “Yes, I’m dead.”

“B-but.. M-me?” Am I dead?..

 NO. I can’t be dead.

She shook her head, then entered the room where I came from a while ago. She eyed the bed, and I followed her gaze.

My eyes widened because of what I saw.

I was lying on the bed, lifeless. Lots of machines and apparatus were attached to my lifeless body, just to keep me brething.

“N-no.. I-I can’t be..” was all that I was able to say.

“Yes, Jonghyun. You’re in between life and death.”

--

“Are you just going to sit there and do nothing?” Yoora asked, as she walked back and forth in front of me.

An hour passed by, and I decided to just stay inside the room. I sat beside joora, and watched as she continued to cry. I really felt bad. I can’t do anything to make her feel better. I can’t  tell her that I am just here beside her, watching her. All that I can do now is stay beside her.

“I wouldn’t leave her, Yoora. Not until I find a way on how to go back to my own body.”

“Why don’t you come with me for a while?”

“I don—“

The door suddenly opened. The doctor, along with Onew, Taemin, Jjong and Minho came in.

“What is my son’s condition, Doctor Park?” my dad asked, as he stood up from where he was seated.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Kim. But your son is on coma. I don’t know when he’ll wake up. Maybe it would take some days. Some weeks. Months. Or even worse, years.”

My mom started to cry, and so did my sister.

“I’m sorry for the bad news. I’m going to leave.” The doctor said, and left.

“I-I’m on coma?”

“That’s what the doctor said.” Yoora said, then sat beside me.

I quickly ran towards my mom, and tried to hug her, but I can’t. My arms just passed through her body, no matter how many times I tried.

“You’re a soul for now, Jonghyun. You can’t talk, hug or even touch them. They won’t even see or hear you.”

“But how? How will I be able to go back to my own body?!”

She shrugged her shoulders. “Just come with me for a while.”

“NO.” I said coldly. “I won’t come with you after what you did to me.”

*FLASHBACK. (8 years ago)

“Guess who,” I said, as I covered Yoora’s eyes, wanting to surprise her.

Today is our third year anniversary, and I want this day to be very memorable for the two of us. The three years of us being together had been very tough for the two of us. But I’m glad we made it through.

“Take you hands off me, Jonghyun.” She said in a cold voice.

What’s with her today?

I just kept calm, and still smiled. “I’m too predictable, right?”

She didn’t answer, and then she faced me.

She isn’t the Yoora that I knew. Her warm smile that I loved is gone. The sparkle in her beautiful eyes is gone, too. Something’s wrong, I can feel it.

I gently held her shoulders. “Yoora, what’s wrong? Tell m—“

“I SAID, TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF ME!” tears started to fall from her lifeless eyes.

“Y-yoora..” I found it hard to speak. It is my first time to see her like this. “W-why are you like this?”

“Let’s break up.”

“W-what?”

“I’m breaking up with you, Jonghyun. I don’t love you anymore! I  am not happy with you anymore! My mom hated me because of you! Just please.. Let me go..”

“B-but you said you’ll fight for our relationship.. And t-that’s what I did, Yoora,” I said, as tears started to form in the corner of my eyes.

“I’m sick and tired of you, Jonghyun. Just please.. DISAPPEAR.” She said, and then left me.

*end of flashback

She just smiled. “What if I tell you I know how to get you back to your own body?”

“You know?”

She just smiled. “Come with me first.”

--

“Why won’t you tell me?” I asked her, as I followed her.

She brought me to this very wonderful garden. She just asked me to close my eyes, and when I opened them, the beautiful scene welcomed me. There are beautiful flowers everywhere, fresh air to breathe. It’ something like a paradise.

“I told you, I don’t know.”

“So, you fooled me?”

“I guess,”

“You’re just wasting my time,” I said in an irritated tone, and walked away.

She held my hand. “Jonghyun, please. Don’t leave me. Let’s talk.”

“Talk? Talk about what? And I was just curious. What are you still doing here on earth? You’re dead, right? You should go to the other side and leave me alone!”

Her smile slowly disappeared. “That’s what I’m trying to do now, Jjong.”

“W-what do you mean?”

She sat down on the grass. “I still have my unfinished business, Jonghyun.”

“What does that have to do with me?”

“It involves you.”

“M-me?”

“I want to talk to you before I go to the other side.”

“Talk? To me?” I was the reason why she is still here?

She laughed gently. “Life really played a little game on us, you know? I never thought that this would happen.”

“Just go straight to the point, Yoora.”

She looked at me, and tears started to fall from her eyes. “I’m sorry, Jonghyun.”

“For what?” my eyes softened, as I saw the familiar look in her eyes as she continued to cry.

“I broke your heart, I’m sorry. Please, forgive me.”

“Yoora..” I said, as I moved closer to her. I felt the strong urge to hug her tight, just like how I usually do, eight years ago. And so, I hugged her tight. “Don’t cry. Please, don’t.”

“What I told you that day, nothing is true. I had to break up with you, to save your life. My mom threatened me, that if I don’t marry Minjun, he’ll do something very bad to you. I was afraid, that’s why I did it. P-please.. Forgive me.. Jonghyun.. P-please..”

“Don’t worry, Yoora. You’re forgiven.”

“I still love you,”

I smiled. “You’re still silly. After eight years, you still love me? Move on, Yoora.”

“I’m serious,”

“You’ll always have a special place in my heart. You’re my first love,”

She giggled. “And you’re my last,”

“If it wasn’t because of our break-up, I couldn’t have met Joora.” I said, and then laughed gently.

She laughed gently, too. “So, I was a matchmaker in disguise?”

“Sort of.” I smiled. “So, I guess you’re leaving?”

She nodded. “Yes. I can feel it.”

“Be my guardian angel, okay?”

“You’re so lucky. You still have the second chance to live. I wasn’t given one when I died.”

“Everything has a purpose, Yoora.”

She smiled. “Second chances are given to set things right. I guess that this is the only second chance that is available for me.”

I smiled, too. “At least, you were given a second chance.”

She nodded, and then stood up. She saluted to me.”My business here is done, Jjong. I guess this will be goodbye.”

 I smiled, as I stood up. “Take care, okay?”

“God will take care of me. Take care of yourself. Make Joora happy. Be happy. Live happily. Use your second chance wisely.”

I nodded. “Sure, I will.”

“Close your eyes, I’m bringing you back.”

I closed my eyes, and I felt her hand on my eyes. “Goodbye, Jonghyun,” she kissed my lips softly. “I love you.”

--

“J-jonghyun? Y-you’re awake?”

I slowly opened my eyes, and Joora welcomed me onto consciousness. She smiled; her smile reached her ears, and then hugged me tight.

“Oh my gosh, Jonghyun! You’re awake! After three months!”

Second chances are given to set things right.

Use your second chance wisely.

Yoora’s words repeated on my mind.

I smiled, then quickly kissed Joora. “I love you.”

--

Okay, okay. I know it ><

My mind was off to somewhere when I wrote this.

If there are grammatical and typographical errors, please forgive me. TT

I hope you will still appreciate my effort XDD

Don't forget to comment! Comments are loved ~ ♥

--

Advertisement XDD

Forget Me Not -- http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/68472/forget-me-not-jonghyun-key-minho-onew-romance-shinee-taemin

Are Tears Visible in the Dark? --  http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/85937/are-tears-visible-in-the-dark-oneshot-onew-romance-shinee

When Life Offered Me Super Junior --  http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/91298

 

PPYONG~ ♥

--iheartkibum