Chapter 1

How our Lives are entangled

Slowly I stood up, and shifted to the hall door quietly. I took hold of a cactus plant that was on top of a small square table next to the front door just in case. I brought my ear to the glass surface of the door and to my surprise I heard Jae Hwa giggling. I put the plant away and stepped into the hallway. I stopped in my tracks when Jae Hwa pulled away from a blushing Donghae and grinned at me embarrassedly. “Mian…” She raised her hand then fumbled it with her other nervously. Donghae was grinning sheepishly

 

“Hello Min, how are you doing?” Donghae asked.

 

“Okay. I’m going to sleep.” I let out really quickly and ran upstairs. They knew I was love sick.

 

Everyone knew about me and Heechul.

 

I went to lie down in my bed and forced myself to cry. Wouldn’t any decent girl break out in tears at these kinds of moments? I am disappointed, I’m heartbroken… it had lasted for freaking eleven months but why couldn’t I shed a single tear.

I waited until I fell asleep. I dreamt about him and in my dream I was taking revenge on him.

 

I woke up; the Saturday morning sun was glistering intensely in my window. For the first time this month, I had the urge to do something today. I made a mental note that from this day on I would forget Heechul. I would force myself to never ever meet him again! And I made sure that was going to happen…

 

I walked in my friend’s room where an exhausted Jae Hwa was still snoring loudly. Did she have alcohol yesterday? I started pulling on the sheets but threw it down abruptly when I noticed that she wasn’t wearing any clothes. Silly girl. Had she been too lazy to put on a pajama last night?

 

I walked over to the closet to find something cute for her to wear. There was a baby pink shirt with white bows on the shoulders and a mini skirt. Just when I wanted to throw them on her bed I noticed red splatters on the covers, I was shocked when I realized it was indeed blood.

I dropped the clothes in shock. Did she and Donghae make LOVE last night? They have been together for just 2 months!

In my eleven months with Heechul we had never done IT. Suddenly I noticed myself in the glass mirror of the closet and saw the dull expression on my face. That guy wasn’t even worth it to be on my mind, why was I thinking about it again?

 

I left the clothes on her bed and ran out of the house frustrated. I ran as fast as I could to prevent myself from going hysterical. When I reached a little park outside the busy streets of Seoul, I stopped on top of a small bridge and panted heavily. Stop it, stop it! I mentally screamed and looked down at my own reflection in the water. My mouth angles were hanging down, my hair was a mess, my eyes looked sad, yet there wasn’t any hint of water in them. Maybe I’m just heartless…

“Oh, come on…” I murmured, waiting for the tears to come.

 

“Min!” someone called. I turned around to face Siwon, we had anatomy classes together.  He was standing there, his arm wrapped around a girl I have seen before but couldn’t remember where I knew her from. I didn’t know her name and that was probably because she wasn’t that… wealthy. There was no better way to put it unfortunately.

 

There is only a small group of people rich enough to afford having their children go to study “medicine for elite” in an excluded department of Seoul high. Medicine for elite is a group leading all of the other universities in Seoul and even Korea. It consists of approximately 120 students studying there, 30 of them already in their clerkships who are unlike normal medicine students legalized to practice their occupation without supervision.

In the elite, they all know each other’s names and faces. I was one of them, along with Jae Hwa, Donghae, Siwon, Heechul and some more you will get to know if you read on.

 

“Have you alre- …been okay?” Siwon asked. He was changing his words from ‘Have you already prepared for the open abdominal surgery?’ to ‘How have you been?’ probably because he noticed the dull look on my face halfway his sentence.

Siwon always asked about the status of my homework. We didn’t often talk but when we did, we… I don’t think I have to explain. He was the smartest of the elite.

 

“Hi Siwon.” I let out, my voice on the edge of breaking. Then he did something unexpected. He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. His girlfriend looked at us suspiciously but made no move.

 

“Don’t be sad Min, you have tons of friends to rely on.” Siwon smiled when he released me, his warm breath fogging up his glasses.

 

“Thanks…” I really wasn’t the type of girl to show my weakness in front of people, at least not anyone I knew from the elite. It was one of those personal rules I followed; never show your weak side to classmates, they can comfort you when they feel your burden but you let them possess power to use it against you later on.

 

“I gotta go…” I sprinted away while he said nothing but stared after me.

 

On a safe distance I started to comb my hair with my fingers. It reminded me that I had not even washed or put on other clothes than these sweatpants and white tee I slept in.  It was starting to get cold so I headed home in a fast pace. I should check if Jae Hwa is awake already, I needed company badly… girl’s company.

I rushed to the flat, took the lift and headed upstairs, I tried to open the door of our apartment but it was locked. Did she go somewhere in this coldness? I fumbled with my hands underneath the door mat to search for the key. We had to use this technique because we didn’t have a spare key yet, so we shared one key and had to hide it in a secret place.

 

I couldn’t find it so I concluded she must have been inside with the door locked. I knocked on the door. “Helloooo?!” I screamed.

 

It didn’t take two seconds before the door flung open. To my biggest horror it was Heechul. My ex-boyfriend Heechul.