Realisations

Breathe Me

It took them quite a while to get the energy and will to move again. Minho just felt so relaxed and sluggish and Jonghyun didn’t seem any different, judging by the slow smile spreading on his lips when Minho looked down at him. He snuggled closer and nosed Minho's jaw up to press a kiss where it connected to his throat. Minho's arms tightened around him, his heart doing a weird, almost painful, stutter.

This was it. He was in love. There was definitely no escaping it now.

They made their way to the bathroom after a few more minutes of just lying in bed, exchanging soft kisses, and Minho handed Jonghyun a towel so he could clean himself up while he took his own and dampened it with warm water. They didn’t speak. No words were needed. Instead they gave each other small touches continuously, as if they couldn’t help themselves and had to have some contact with a brush of fingertips here and a gentle hand on a back there. Jonghyun looked pensive and distant a few times, which left an unsettled feeling in Minho's stomach.

When they got back to Minho's room and located their shirts, putting them on, Jonghyun apparently decided he needed more than soft touches. Just as Minho's shirt came down his head, his collar was unceremoniously grabbed and he was pulled into a kiss. His hands automatically came up to rest on Jonghyun's hips as Jonghyun repeatedly pressed soft kisses to his lips, his arms falling around Minho's neck.

“Jonghyun… what…?” Minho murmured in-between kisses, although his hands travelled up his back to hug him closer.

Jonghyun gave him a last, lingering kiss before pulling back, smiling. It was shy but serene, and Minho couldn’t hep but think it was a little wistful as well.

“I should probably get the cardigan back to Kibum,” Jonghyun said quietly.

Minho nodded but didn’t let go of him. He had a strange sense of foreboding, something in his core humming out of tune.

“You’ll come back for dinner?” he asked.

Jonghyun bit his lip and Minho frowned.

“Yeah,” he breathed after a millisecond of hesitation.

Minho nodded again and reluctantly released him from his arms. They stood in each other’s personal space for a while, ensconced in their little bubble, drinkng in each other's faces. Minho didn’t want Jonghyun to leave for even just a second. He was afraid that when he did, the guilt would be unbearable and that he would be the kind of Kibum thought he was. And Jonghyun didn’t deserve it.

They shared a long kiss by the door. It felt too much like a last kiss and Minho tried not to show how it worried him. He decided not to dwell on it since they would see each other later and closed the door behind Jonghyun, returning to the living room and throwing himself down on the couch. The TV was still on and he frowned at the close-up of a splotchy-faced girl with mascara tracks running down her cheeks. He picked up the remote and changed it to another channel with more put together people, staring at them making some kind of three layered cake for a moment before letting out a heavy sigh and leaning his head back, his eyes closing.

He’d thought the guilt would have set in by now, but all he felt was warm and content and positive for the first time in a while. But there was still that nagging feeling of unease somewhere deep inside him.

He still couldn’t figure out why being with Jonghyun was so different either. He and Taemin were actually quite similar. They were both cheery and exuded positive energy. They were also earnest, though mischievous at times.

He smiled a little to himself.

And they both were nosy and curious and stubborn. He had never been able to keep secrets from Taemin – he was surprised he hadn’t called Minho out on his crush during all those years he’d loved him – and Jonghyun read him like an open book, always there by some sort of miracle, even when Minho didn’t know he needed him.

A prickling sense of dread settled over him when he realised he could very well be forced to choose between them.

And he had no idea if he would be able to.

~*~

For the first time since he’d met Minho, Jonghyun was actually scared of getting his heart broken. Being with Minho, kissing him, watching his flushed cheeks, and feeling his warm fingers all over his body had felt more right than with any other person he’d ever been with before – and they weren’t even dating.

Heavy realisation settled over Jonghyun's chest, turning his breaths shallow and causing a falter in his steps. This was it. Minho was it for him. How had he not seen it coming?

He’d felt calm about everything when they were together, because they had still had their little bubble, and in it there was only them, protected and safe. But Jonghyun knew as soon as he left, Minho would be left to his own thoughts – just like he himself was – and he was terrified of what conclusions he would come to. It was already too late for Jonghyun to back out now without getting hurt immensely, and he wished he’d listened to Kibum and been more careful. He had just been too stubborn to let it go, especially since he knew had been helping Minho at least a little.

He groaned inwardly and decided to trust that if he and Minho were meant to be, it would happen. If not, he’d just have to live with the mistakes he’d made and move on, however hard it would be.

“I thought you had forgotten! What took you so long?!” Kibum's voice pierced through his thoughts. “You didn’t even answer your phone!”

Jonghyun blinked and looked up at his friend standing behind the front desk, arms crossed. Bewildered, he glanced around. He couldn’t remember making his way to the hotel, but there he was, in the lobby, which was quite empty. He patted his pockets and frowned when he realised his phone was gone. Had it fallen out in Minho's and his haste?

“Uh… yeah… sorry…” he mumbled distractedly as he approached him and held out the cardigan.

Kibum narrowed his eyes at him, his arms falling to his sides. Instead of taking the cardigan, he grabbed Jonghyun's wrist and pulled him closer, scrutinising him. Jonghyun grimaced as his arm twisted in a weird angle over the desk.

“What’s the big idea?” he asked Kibum, annoyed.

“That’s what I’m wondering,” Kibum retorted, but there was no heat behind his words. He simply looked worried. “Are you okay?”

Jonghyun met his eyes and contemplated lying, but decided Kibum didn’t deserve it. He closed his eyes briefly in an attempt to gather his thoughts.

“I don’t know,” he sighed.

Kibum used the grip on Jonghyun's wrist to pull him to the opening in the front desk and bring him over to a chair. He pushed him down on it, pulled another up to face him and waited quietly as Jonghyun stared down at his fingers, fiddling with the cardigan still in his hands.

“Kibum… I…” he started hoarsely and cleared his throat, a lump forming quickly. “I think Minho's the one… he’s it for me and now I’m scared.”

Kibum hummed.

“Even though he’s attracted to me, he loves Taemin. He’s loved him for years and I can’t compete with that,” Jonghyun continued, voice breaking and hands trembling. Kibum put one of his own over them. “And I don’t want to compete either. Especially since Taemin has no way to voice his thoughts about anything.”

Kibum's fingers reached up and gently brushed away a stray tear.

“I love him,” Jonghyun confessed, his voice small and sad. “I really do.”

Silence fell between them again, only disrupted by Jonghyun's occasional sniffling. He was glad the lobby was empty of guests, because his tears kept flowing. Kibum sat with him, his fingers brushing his hair back every now and then before returning to grab his hands.

“Hey,” Kibum said softly after what seemed like forever. “Do you wanna hang out tonight? Have a sleepover or something?”

Jonghyun sniffled one last time and wiped his face with the back of his hand.

“Don’t you have a date?” he asked, smiling weakly.

Kibum gave a faint smile back and shrugged.

“She would understand,” he said.

Jonghyun chuckled, but shook his head.

“No, it’s okay,” he murmured. “I need to go check on grandma anyway. I’ll probably stay at the hospital.”

Kibum considered him for a moment before nodding, glancing at his clock.

“And of course Sandeul’s late,” he sighed.

The smile spreading on Jonghyun's lips came a little easier this time. They had a new employee who started a week and a half ago. He’d been entrusted to Kibum and Jonghyun for his first week, and he was easily confused about the schedule as well as nearly always late to his shift, but he was a nice kid and Jonghyun actually thought he was funny. He knew Kibum had a soft spot for him too, though he liked to pretend he didn’t.

“I can cover for you, if you want?” he volunteered.

“No, it’s fine,” Kibum waved a hand at him dismissively. “You were going to the hospital. And, yes, I’m sure,” he added when Jonghyun opened his mouth.

Jonghyun gave him a nod and stood with a sigh, pulling a hand through his hair. He felt a little sluggish and foggy. He hadn’t been sleeping well recently, what with his grandmother’s condition not getting any better and his constant musings about Minho. Maybe it was finally catching up to him.

“Jonghyun,” Kibum called after him once he had made his way across half the lobby.

He stopped and turned to look at him inquiringly.

“Yeah?” he asked.

Kibum bit his lip, hesitating before squaring his shoulders and meeting Jonghyun's eyes determinedly.

“I think you shouldn’t eat dinner with them tonight,” he said.

Jonghyun watched him for a moment, swallowing harshly. Then he nodded slowly.

“Yeah…” he croaked. “I think so, too.”

Kibum gave a tight nod and Jonghyun sent him a small, listless wave before turning around and leaving, heart heavy in his chest.

~*~

Minho sighed, staring at the ceiling above his bed dazedly. He stretched his arms out and flexed his fingers, watching the light of his lamp filter through them. Then he turned his palms down, towards him, and heat rose to his cheeks as his skin tingled with the memory of his hands sliding over Jonghyun's body, the softness of his skin, the welcoming warmth of his embrace, the burning desire sparking through his veins as they moved together.

He narrowed his eyes at his hands when he felt arousal stirring low in his belly and let his arms fall over his face, blocking out the light and the rest of the world.

His mind immediately took the chance to project images against his closed eyelids. Jonghyun splayed out on his bed, flush with arousal, his big, chocolate brown eyes so close to his he could almost see his own reflected back at him, his exploring fingers painting paths across Minho's back and shoulders, his breath against his lips, his throat, his collarbone, his hand bringing them over the edge.

Minho let go of a shaky breath and swallowed, a trickle of guilt spreading through him as he tried replacing the image of Jonghyun with Taemin. He frowned in concentration, trying to recall Taemin's voice, face, eyes, anything, but his mind continued to loop back to Jonghyun, evolving into situations much, much more intimate than they had actually been.

He brought his arms back down to his sides, blinking at the ceiling with another sigh, and willed away the hardness in his pants.

The front door opened and closed, startling him out of his dazed state.

“Hello?” Jinki called. “Minho? You home?”

Minho cleared his throat and sat up, checking the front of his pants was decently un-tented before standing up and walking out to greet Jinki.

“I’m here,” he answered as he rounded the corner to the entryway.

Jinki looked up from where he was untying his shoes and stilled. Minho raised his eyebrows at him.

“Did… something happen?” he asked and Minho frowned.

“What do you mean?”

“Uh, well…” Jinki cleared his throat and averted his eyes in embarrassment, one hand rubbing the back of his neck. “Either the apartment has bugs or you… hooked up with someone…”

Minho's eyes widened and he took three quick steps to look in the mirror beside the door, gaze falling to a small hickey barely poking out from underneath the neckline of his t-shirt. He pulled at the shirt to reveal all of it and stared in disbelief. When had Jonghyun managed to do that? He didn’t remember.

Behind him, Jinki cleared his throat again.

“So…”

Minho turned and pinned him with a hard look. Jinki wrinkled his nose at him.

“I’m guessing you didn’t just pick up whomever from the street,” he continued. “Which, by omission, leaves Jonghyun as the suspect.”

Minho swallowed harshly.

“Hyung, I can–,” he began.

Jinki held up his hands to stop him.

“No, no,” he said quickly. “As long as you know what you’re doing.”

Minho couldn’t answer, his eyes gluing themselves to the floor. He could practically feel Jinki's gaze burning through him, waiting for him to affirm he had control of the situation. He would have liked to lie. He really would, but then he’d be all alone with his tangled thoughts of Jonghyun and Taemin and he needed someone to help him, even if just a little.

“I don’t,” he mumbled finally.

There were a few long seconds of deafening silence and Minho didn’t dare look up at Jinki until he let out a loud, heavy sigh. One of his hands was pinching the bridge of his nose and he had squeezed his eyes shut.

“Okay,” he muttered. “Okay.”

His hand fell away and he looked up at Minho.

“Sit down,” he said, pointing to the couch. “I’m gonna make some tea for myself. Do you want anything?”

Minho opened his mouth to say hot chocolate, but thought better of it and closed it again, shaking his head. Jinki squinted at him as if he knew exactly what he had been thinking. Thankfully, he didn’t comment on it and his heel, disappearing into the kitchen. Minho flopped down on the couch with a small groan and, instead of losing himself in his thoughts again, concentrated on the sounds of Jinki filling the water boiler and turning it on, cupboards opening and closing, cutlery clattering as Jinki grabbed for a spoon.

It didn’t take long until he joined him in the living room, striding over to the recliner and sitting down carefully to not spill his cup full of hot tea. He pulled his legs up to cross them and rested the cup on one of his knees as he proceeded to scrutinise Minho, clearly trying to decide how he should begin the conversation. Then he took a deep, steadying breath.

“Minho, I know I encouraged you to confess to Taemin,” he said.

It wasn’t what Minho had been expecting and he flinched, guilt burning through him as he thought about desiring Jonghyun more than Taemin. Jinki narrowed his eyes a little.

“And if you still feel you love him, I will once again tell you to confess to him when he wakes up,” Jinki continued.

Minho opened his mouth to thank him for his support, however much he was starting to doubt himself, but was cut off.

However,” Jinki said, his voice lowering and turning grave, “I will not support you using your attraction to Jonghyun to relieve your frustrations.”

Swallowing harshly, Minho opened and closed his mouth a few times, no sounds coming out. It wasn’t that he didn’t understand Jinki's point of view, he’d probably think the same if their roles were reversed.

The thing was, he wasn’t using Jonghyun. Although it would have made him a horrible person, he almost wished it were true. That Jinki and Kibum's fears and accusations were based on the truth and that he was just frustrated and in need of a distraction.

But Jonghyun was so much more than a distraction. He had realised it when it dawned on him that Jonghyun made him feel better that time he had stayed with Minho the entire night and kept him safe. Before that moment he’d thought exactly what Jinki and Kibum were thinking; Jonghyun was a distraction to him then too. But the more time passed, the more he realised how far from the truth it was.

Especially earlier today.

They had been so close and Minho's heart had just welled over with feelings and he hadn't been able to stop himself. Not because he was frustrated or needed distracting from Taemin, but because it was Jonghyun and Jonghyun was safe, and warm, and earnest.

“,” he mumbled and curled in on himself.

Jinki was silent for a moment. Then he sighed softly.

“Now, I don’t think you would actually use Jonghyun,” he murmured. “But I have to make my stand clear.”

Minho simply nodded, staring down at his feet, and silence fell again as Jinki waited for him to start talking.

“Hyung,” Minho whispered after Jinki had taken his tenth sip of tea. “Do you know I’ve loved Taemin since I was seventeen?”

Jinki hummed.

“That’s ten years.” He breathed in deeply and looked up at Jinki. “And never once during those ten years did I think of him in more intimate settings than simply kissing him and cuddling. Even now, I still can’t imagine him in more intimate situations, but I know I love him.”

Jinki watched him without interrupting, his face open and attentive.

“And then I have Jonghyun, who’s just about everywhere,” he closed his eyes. “In my head, by my side, in my dreams. He’s…” Minho couldn’t help the small laugh that left him and opened his eyes again. “He’s my hot chocolate.”

Jinki smiled a little as well and Minho didn’t feel so bad about admitting it. Then he frowned.

“And yet,” he murmured, “I don’t think I could choose if I’d have to. I have Taemin, who I love more than anything, and Jonghyun, who I’m in love with. I just can’t figure out which love is right.”

Nodding, Jinki looked down into the contents of his cup, as if it held the answers he needed.

“I think,” he started thoughtfully, “that you love both of them differently, and that one is not better than the other. You’ll have to figure out the difference yourself but, unless you get some sort of closure with Taemin, I don’t think you’ll get your answer.” He glanced up at him. “And I’m sorry to say that I think you will hurt Jonghyun, no matter what happens.”

A cold lump settled in Minho's stomach, but he nodded.

“I know,” he whispered.

Jinki looked as if he wanted to say something more, but suddenly Minho's phone began ringing and he fished it out of his pocket, his heart sinking.

“It’s the hospital,” he informed Jinki, his voice shaky, and his fingers trembled as he pressed the answer button.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I know this is angsty and I know I'm cruel... doesn't stop me though ;P I'm sorry to say will go down very soon and, well, it won't be pretty. But it will end with everyone's happiness, so that's something I guess? :)

I hope you liked the chapter anyway! I kinda liked it, even though it's more on the sad side.

Love to all you readers and those of you who comment! I don't think I've said it before but it really helps knowing your opinion! And I like to answer them as well, haha ;D

Bye~! <3