I Like You - Part 4

I Like You
 

Part 4

 

“Thank you for coming all the way out here, PD-nim. I think this is a very interesting role and will definitely consider it. As soon as I make a decision, my company will let you know.”

 

“I really hope you consider taking this role. Our writers wrote the part with you in mind from the very beginning,” the man said as he stood up.

 

Krystal followed suit. “Of course. I will look over it some more and discuss it with my company.”

 

The man smiled and gave Krystal’s arm a friendly pat as she bowed politely. “They weren’t lying when they told me you were much prettier in person.”

 

“Ah~ I’m not but thank you.” Krystal chuckled out of respect as they made their way to the door. She shared a few more minutes of light conversation with the man before he finally left with Krystal’s manager.

 

“Ugh,” Krystal groaned as she threw herself on one of the chairs. She had just gotten back from an overseas schedule and the first thing she had to do was discuss another drama role early the next morning, even when she made it clear to her company after her recent drama ended that she was going to take a long break from acting. She was both mentally and physically exhausted. If the producer wasn’t so well known in the entertainment industry, she wouldn’t even spare him five minutes of her time.

 

Krystal heaved a tired sigh and pushed herself up. Instead of waiting for her manager to come back up and take her home, she decided to just walk home now and take a long, hot shower.

 

She had just closed the office door behind her when the practice room door down the hall opened and out stepped Amber.

 

“Oh? Hey,” Amber greeted politely as she pocketed her phone. “Long time no see.”

 

“Ah, g-good morning,” Krystal replied and bowed to keep herself from staring. She found Amber looking exceptionally handsome and charming this evening. Must be because she hasn’t seen Amber in two weeks, reasoned Krystal.

 

“Why are you suddenly so formal?” Amber asked with a chuckle.

 

“I’m not...” Krystal tries to play it off coolly and starts walking away. “By the way, did you get a haircut?” she asked when Amber ran to catch up with her.

 

“I did. As a matter of fact, I got it trimmed two days ago. Do you like it?” Amber grinned cutely.

 

“It’s okay,” Krystal looked away to keep herself from pinching Amber’s cheeks when she suddenly had the urge to after seeing the girl smile so adorably.

 

“Only okay?”

 

“It suits you,” was the only answer Krystal could give that didn’t openly say she loves it. “So where are you going?” she quickly redirected the conversation.

 

“To the movie theatre. A friend of mine gave me some tickets to a movie preview she won.”

 

“Ah...”

 

Amber held the staircase door open for Krystal. “Want to go together?” she asked.

 

“H-huh?” Krystal almost missed a step.

 

“My friend gave me two tickets and I was planning on going by myself.”

 

“Oh...” Krystal became quiet. Honestly, she was really tired and exhausted, but then this would be the first time Amber invited her out in a non-work related setting. Almost like a date...

 

“Hey, it’s okay to decline. You won’t hurt my feelings. Besides, you look really tired. Maybe it’s better if you go home and get some res—”

 

“I’ll go,” Krystal unintentionally cut Amber off and immediately felt embarrassed. It didn’t help with the loud echo in the staircase which made her sound really eager.

 

“Are you sure? You really don’t have to, you know.”

 

“Y-you have a spare ticket left anyway. I-if you want to that is. With me. The movie. I mean, movie with me. If you want to watch the movie with me.” Krystal sighed and mentally facepalmed. When did she become a babbling fool? That has never happened to her before, especially when she’s just trying to accept an invitation.

 

But Amber found it cute and chuckled. “Are you asking me out on a date, Jung Soojung?” she teased.

 

Krystal’s face immediately flushed red at the remark. “Y-you asked me first!” She quickly defended.

 

“I know,” Amber smiled and playfully tapped Krystal’s cheek. “I’m just teasing you. But I’m glad.”

 

Krystal felt her heart rate increase so rapidly she was afraid she was going to have a heart attack. She looked down at her fidgeting fingers to keep herself occupied.

 

“How about we grab dinner on the way? Movie doesn’t start for another two hours,” suggested Amber.

 

Krystal looked up at Amber. “Dinner?” Wouldn’t adding dinner make this an actual date? Omo...

 

“Yeah. Dinner.”

 

“That’d be great!” She said almost too enthusiastically.

 

“Great!” Amber replied just as excitedly.

 

There was a moment of silence before they both burst out laughing.

 

“Come on, let’s sneak out the back entrance then. We can take the second alleyway to the main street to avoid the fans.”

 

“Wow, you seem to be an expert at this. Do you always sneak around with celebrities or something?” Krystal asked half-jokingly, but she actually secretly wanted to hear Amber’s response.

 

Unfortunately, Amber only laughed it off but the smile on her face afterwards gave Krystal the impression she did it often. But then that wouldn’t be a surprise considering how friendly Amber is with just about everyone.

 

Krystal unconsciously pouted at the thought.

 

“Okay, the coast is clear.” Amber had stuck her head out the door and glanced around quickly. She then pulled the hood of her jacket over her head and stuck out her hand.

 

Krystal didn’t know what Amber wanted so she just stared at the outstretched hand without a word.

 

Amber noticed the slight confusion and reached forward to take Krystal’s hand in hers.

 

She didn’t think too much of it but the sudden warm skin contact surprised Krystal and the younger girl jerked her hand out of Amber’s by reflex. This made Amber stop and turn around right as she was about to lead them outside.

 

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

 

Krystal blinked, her face flushed red. She, herself, didn’t know why she did that considering she’s held Amber’s hand multiple times while going up and down the stairs in the past. This wasn’t anything new. So then why is her heart beating out of control like she just ran a marathon? At this rate, she really is going to die of a heart attack.

 

“Is something wrong?” Amber asked again, now fully facing Krystal.

 

“N-no...” Krystal shyly replied as she tried to think of an excuse.

 

“Hey now,” Amber noticed the pink cheeks and smiled to herself, understanding the situation. “I thought we’ve gone past that awkward stage now. Aren’t we friends? Or do you not like being around me?”

 

“I do like being around you! A lot!” Krystal quickly defended only to realize what she had just said. She quickly clamped a hand over in utter horror at her own confession she didn’t even know existed. She’s not the type of person to ever say this to anyone, let alone Amber. This totally ruins her “cool and collected” image she has going.

 

Amber raised her eyebrows in amusement at the sudden outburst. She was only teasing the younger girl and had expected a cold or nonchalant response so this was definitely a surprise. For some reason, it felt like somehow, Krystal had warmed up to her even though it was just for a tiny bit. Microscopic, even. But there was definitely a change. That’s not to say they weren’t on friendly terms before because they were. However now, now Amber felt like she was able to get a glimpse past the cold exterior at the real Krystal, the one she never lets people see. It was a nice feeling and she wanted to know more about that Krystal.

 

“I didn’t it mean it like that,” Krystal corrected herself when Amber didn’t seem to say anything. She felt beyond embarrassed at this point.

 

“Hey, no take backs.” Amber pretended to pout as she reached to take Krystal’s hand again – this time, firmly holding it. “Besides, I like being around you too. A lot.” She winked then grinned cheekily.

 

Even though Amber was trying to be cute with her reply, Krystal could feel the sincerity behind her words and felt herself become mesmerized by the older girl. She kind of just stared at her, not sure what the strange feeling in the pit of her stomach was. It wasn’t until Amber tugged at her arm gently did Krystal snap out of her thoughts.

 

“Come on,” Amber smiled, “let’s get going before anyone comes.”

 

Krystal once again felt that strange feeling in her that she couldn’t quite put a finger on.

 

What is this feeling? Krystal wondered to herself as she let Amber quietly guide her out of the building.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Gah... I’m so full.”

 

Krystal watched Amber lean back in her chair and pat her stomach. “Then you shouldn’t have ordered dessert.”

 

“But it’s their special mint chocolate chip ice cream! How can anyone say no to that?!”

 

Krystal shook her head. “Are you really two years older than me?”

 

Amber grinned and proceeded to her spoon like a little kid.

 

Krystal observed the older girl quietly and noticed the slight distinct upward curves of the corner of Amber’s lips she hadn’t seen before. “Cute,” she unconsciously mumbled out loud.

 

“What’s cute?”

 

“H-huh?”

 

“You just said ‘cute’. What’s cute?” Amber blinked curiously as she placed her spoon down after it clean.

 

“N-nothing. I didn’t say anything.” Krystal tried to keep a calm expression but she was panicking on the inside. She needed to redirect Amber’s attention and quick. “W-what time is it?” Krystal asks after pretending to look at the time on her phone. “Aren’t we going to be late for the movie?”

 

“Ah!” Amber quickly checks her watch. She then raises her hand for the waiter, asking for the bill. “Dinner’s on me.”

 

“Oh no, that’s okay. I can pay myself.” Krystal quickly declined politely.

 

“No, it’s my treat. I was the one who asked you to come along.”

 

Krystal watched Amber take out her wallet and hand the waiter some bills. “Thank you,” she says.

 

“No problem.” Amber takes the change from the waiter and places her wallet back in her pants pocket. She then looks up and smiles at Krystal. “Let’s go, shall we?”

 

Krystal nods shyly and follows alongside Amber as they excited the restaurant. They weren’t that far away from the theater so it only took a few minutes of walking.

 

“So what movie are we watching?” Krystal asked as they enter the theater.

 

“Beats me.” Amber shrugs. “I was told to just hand the tickets to one of the employees here and they’re supposed to let us know. Apparently we’re supposed to get special treatment too. Who knows.”

 

They walk up to the first employee they see and Amber starts talking to the female staff. After a while, she hands her the tickets and they were lead away to one of the movie theater rooms. On the way there, Amber and the female employee were chatting away like they’ve known each other for years. Krystal frowns as she trailed behind the two, making sure to keep her head down and her hood covering as much of her face as it could. There were fairly more people at the movie theater tonight than she thought therefore she wanted to avoid being recognized. But she didn’t like the fact that Amber was completely ignoring her to talk to that flirtatious employee. She wasn’t even that pretty.

 

As they reached the VIP section of the movie theater, the girl suddenly laughed cutely at something Amber said and it made Krystal roll her eyes.

 

“She’s not even that funny...” Krystal mumbles under her breath.

 

They walk into one of the VIP rooms and the female staff finally excuses herself to go bring snacks for the two after Amber whispers something to her.

 

“Wow, this is nice. I’ve never been in one of these rooms before.” Amber looked around the room. She patted the comfy sofa in the middle of the room. “Actually, I didn’t even know rooms like these existed.”

 

Krystal sat down on the sofa and crossed her arms and legs. For some reason, she didn’t feel like talking to Amber at the moment.

 

“Now we don’t have to worry about people recognizing you since we’re the only two here.” Amber continued to talk out loud, missing the sulking girl on the couch. “Remind me to thank my friend afterwards. Seriously, this is awesome. I don’t even care if the movie is bad. We get free food.”

 

“You still want to eat after we just ate?” Krystal replied in an annoyed tone.

 

“Well, it’s free so...” Amber finally caught on to the slight displeasured look on Krystal’s face and her smile slowly faded. “Um... is there something wrong?”

 

“No.”

 

“Are you sure? You seem kind of upset.” Amber sat down next to girl, looking unsure.

 

“I’m not.” Krystal turns her face the other way. Why she was acting like this was beyond her. It was childish but she couldn’t control her emotions.

 

Amber frowned and was about to say something when the female staff walks back in with a basket of snacks and drinks. She hands them to Amber who thanks her politely and leaves to start the movie.

 

“Um... do you want anything?” Amber asks, searching for something in the basket. “I asked them to get you this –”

 

“No thanks. The movie’s starting.” Krystal stared straight ahead at the screen.

 

Amber pouted and looked down at the snack in her hand. She eventually pocketed the bag in her jacket pocket when the room darkened and the movie started playing. For the rest of the movie, no words were exchanged between the two. It was hard for Amber to focus and get into the movie with Krystal seemingly upset next to her. She was trying to figure out if she did something wrong but couldn’t come up with anything. She’s experienced Krystal’s mood swings before but not to this extreme, especially when they had a fairly good time during dinner.

 

The movie soon ended and the two left the theater quietly without say much to each other. Amber, like the last time she walked Krystal home, kept her distance in the back even though she wanted to talk to the girl. About halfway to Krystal’s apartment, the younger girl finally spoke up first.

 

“You don’t have to walk me back home, you know. I’m fine by myself.”

 

“It’s fine. I don’t mind.”

 

Krystal stopped and turned around to face Amber. “Really, it’s okay. I don’t live that far from here. I can walk by myself.”

 

Amber smiled. “I know you can.”

 

The unexpected reply threw Krystal off a bit. “Then I guess we can part here.”

 

“I’ll feel better if I see you get home safely.”

 

The kind and caring reply made Krystal feel bad about how she behaved earlier at the movie theater. She still hasn’t figured out why she reacted the way she did but that doesn’t stop the guilt from flooding her mind.

 

“But I don’t want to trouble you,” said the girl.

 

“I wouldn’t have offered if it troubled me.”

 

They stared at each other.

 

“Why are you so stubborn?” Krystal asked after a while.

 

Amber chuckled. “I could say the same about you.”

 

“I just don’t want to trouble you.”

 

“You will never trouble me.”

 

Krystal raised her eyebrows when she heard the gentle reply but Amber was just smiling back at her like she usually does. She wanted to think that there was more to the comment but it was hard to since Amber acts like this with everyone. However, that doesn’t keep Krystal from smiling to herself.

 

“Fine, whatever.” Krystal turns around and starts walking again to avoid Amber seeing her smile.

 

They soon reach her apartment and Krystal unconsciously resented the fact that she didn’t live farther away.

 

“Thanks for walking me home,” Krystal stops off to the side of the entrance and pauses before continuing, “and for the dinner and movie.”

 

Amber smiles that kind smile of hers and nods. “No problem. I’m glad you came along. It would’ve been boring by myself.”

 

“Um...” Krystal hesitated. She felt guilty and wanted to apologize to Amber about her behavior at the movie theater but didn’t know where to start. She didn’t want Amber to think she didn’t enjoy spending time with her or not want to ask her to hang out again because of her weird mood swings.

 

“It’s getting late. You should probably head in before anyone spots you. I’ll see around at the agency,” Amber finally says when Krystal couldn’t find the right words to use.

 

“O-okay.” Krystal awkwardly says and tightens her hold on her bag. “Good night then.”

 

Amber nods, her eyes never leaving Krystal. “Good night.”

 

Krystal turns around to go inside the building, not sure if Amber ever wants to hang out with her again when the older girl’s voice stops her.

 

“Oh, wait!”

 

Krystal whips back around more eagerly than she should. “Yes?”

 

“I almost forgot...” Amber pulls something out from her jacket pocket. “Here.”

 

Krystal looks down at her favorite mango-flavored snack in Amber’s hand. “Where did you get this?” she asks, not remembering them going to a convenience store. And how did you know that I like this?

 

“Magic,” Amber grins.

 

Krystal didn’t seem amused at her reply so Amber reached forward with her free hand to take a hold of Krystal’s wrist. She then brings it towards her with her palm facing up. She places the snack in Krystal’s hand and releases her hold.

 

“I asked the movie theater staff if they had any and to bring me some if they did. You didn’t want anything to eat back then so I snuck a bag out in case you wanted it later.”

 

“Thank you.” Krystal was touched and felt immensely apologetic towards Amber for being so childish earlier, even though the older girl probably has no idea why. Right as she opened to say something about it, a group of girls walking towards them laughing loudly caught their attention.

 

Amber immediately took a step back. “It’s late. You should really head back in.” She gestured for Krystal to go in as she started to walk backwards. “I’ll see you around,” she whispers then winks before turning around to leave.

 

The unexpected cute wink made Krystal’s cheeks warm up a bit and she quickly turned around to go inside the building herself. She awkwardly greeted the guard and headed straight for the elevator while clutching the bag of snack against her chest tightly.

 

That night, Krystal went to bed with a smile on her face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----

End of Part 4.