Chapter 1

If Only

» 7th February 2014

Seoul, South Korea

길을 밝혀줘
이제 원튼 말든 선택은 끝났어
나의 전부를 다 걸겠어
지켜 낼 거야 어떤 어려운 여정이 된다 해도

Gireul barkhyeojwo
Ije wonteun maldeun seontaegeun kkeutnasseo
Naui jeonbureul da geolgesseo
Jikyeo nael geoya eotteon eoryeoun yeojeongi doenda haedo

A wave of scream and shriek differed from low to high note erupted from the crowd. He smiled. Even though he was sweating like crazy, panting like there was no tommorow, tired like he just run fifty laps around a super big field without a break, the cheers his, no, their fans gave was worth the pain. He looked around, his best friends were smiling too. They were panting and sweating too. But happiness and satisfaction were the only things you could read from their faces.

His eyes scanned the beings that filled the whole concert arena. Light sticks and colorful banners lit up the place from corner to corner. He laughed out loud reading the pink banners fans brought to the concert.

"What's funny?" Hoya said. The mic placed by his mouth made the fans could hear what he just said. In fact, every member of Infinite had the mic attached to them, enabling them to sing and dance without carrying a big microphone around.

He smiled and pointed to the crowd, "Read the banners. You'll laugh."

"The 'marry me' part?" Sungyeol arched his brow. Some fans squealed seeing his cute expression by doing so.

"No, no, the part where I'm partnered with Sunggyu hyung. WooGyu, WooGyu, WooGyu, WooGyu," He mentioned as he pointed the banners with 'WooGyu' written on it. The fans with their banners pointed crazily shrieked, "He notices me! He notices my banner!"

Sunggyu stepped forward, "Yah, don't you love me?"

Woohyun threw him a look, "I'm not gay, hyung, ew."

"So you don't love him," L pointed out.

"I love him as a brother! I'm not gay," Woohyun defended. Sunggyu laughed and engulfed him into a 'brotherly' hug. The fans took picture of it and cooed at their 'brotherly' sweetness.

"Gay alert!" Sungjong blurted, earning boring glares from Sunggyu, Woohyun -who he talked about, and Myungsoo -who didn't like the gay or childish impression he gave to Inspirits, with the addition of laughs errupted from the girls and boys watching them down the stage. The maknae quickly hid behind Dongwoo, who unfortunately stood by him, in embarassment.

Myungsoo tweaked his ear and motioned him to say sorry. Sungjong took a scared glance at his hyung's face who turned quite dark face, half-heartedly bowed to the audience, "I'm sorry, I don't mean it. They're not gay. We're not gay, we're straight. We date girls."

He flinched when Myungsoo still urged him to continue. Living together with him in the same dorm for years had made them understood each other, and Sungjong knew what this particular hyung wanted him to say. He sighed and bowed back, "Trully sorry, Inspirits. I'm stupid. I'm really stupid."

Myungsoo smiled in victory and left Sungjong for Sungyeol instead, who was laughing his off with the other members.

"Next song!" Hoya cheered before the other members humiliated their dongsaeng more.

And guess what, for the next few hours in February 7th 2014, #SungjongYou'reNotStupid and #SungjongYou'reSmart became the world trend in instagram and twitter. Before another topic made the whole world covered in ultimate sadness.

» unknown

Seoul, South Korea

The sound of water running suddenly stopped. Silence filled the empty vast space once again. A minute passed, and finally the bathroom door was pushed open. A figure came out, completely , only a white towel was wrapped around his waist. His hands was holding another towel, using it to dry his wet hair. The white fabric and messy hair hid his facial features that kept facing down, his eyes catching glimpse of droplets of water making their way to the white rug.

He walked slowly towards a black vintage wardrobe. He stopped drying his hair and put the towel around his bare neck. His left hand grabbed the edge of it, preventing it from falling down, while he stretched his right to grab the wardrobe's sliding door. It slid open, revealing a rich amount of clothes, varied from home-use, casual to formal. After putting on his undergarment, he pulled out a drawer and took a black basketball shorts. The golden embroidery that formed his group's logo was still in a quite good condition despite the fact that he used that particular shorts almost everyday.

He took the simple tee placed on the very top of his personal pile of clothes and proceeded his way down to the bathroom once again, closing the wardrobe's door behind. He took the towel around his neck and waist then hung them on a laundry railing that stood by the toilet's door. He put the shirt by the sink and bent down, starting washing his face.

Splashing his face with a final handful of water, he looked up. There was no mirror in front of him. He couldn't see his so-called gorgeous and angelic face directly. He frowned and muttered to himself, "Aish. I'll tell the maids to put a mirror here later."

He grabbed the shirt and put it on quickly without minding about his still wet body. The white tee turned wet too in a matter of second, making it a little too see-through. He himself could see the forming abs on his bare stomach. He tapped on it and laughed, "I work hard for you, baby!"

And as if it answered, it grumbled.

"Oops. Sorry, I forgot to feed you."

He sprinted to the small kitchen and opened the fridge. There were a lot of delicious looking cooked food and ingredients, but he didn't take it. Instead, he closed the fridge's door and climbed up the dining chair. He opened a shelf after another and finally found what he was looking for; jam and bread. It was his regular breakfast back at the Woolim dorm, and it became a habit to him. According to his manager, a loaf of bread, a spoon of strawberry jam and a cup of coffee or milk were enough to keep their stomach full until noon, but not too much to make them an overweight idol. He said if they ate too much food, their fat would cover up their abs and soon they would have no fans left. He chuckled, remembering how his band mates would shudder at the thought of having no Inspirit around.

Honestly, he shuddered too.

To him, his loyal fans were the one who made him kept going as an idol, beside his parents, friends and manager. He loved them dearly, and his heart would explode in joy everytime a fan approached him on the street to ask his signature or photo. They recognized him, they adored him. And he appreciated that.

» 6th February 2014

Seoul, South Korea

K-Pop group band Infinite had bloomed fastly for the past years since they made their debut in 2010. Inspirit, the name used to call this group's loyal fans, were scattered all around the world. Eventhough most of them were Asian, but Australian and even American didn't want to be left behind too. And that day, in February 2014, after finishing their first world tour across the world, they had a special fan meeting back in their hometown, Korea. And then, they would have a final concert there too to close the chain of their world tour. Woolim Entertainment and a famous shopping mall there, Coex Mall worked together and joined forces to attract more visitor's interest. Especially in that time of year, Coex's shops and stands had started selling Valentine products since the mid of January. Which was kind of odd since Valentine was one whole month away.

Anyway, the fan meeting was held in their main lobby. Westfield's owner had specialised a big stage for them and during their break time, they could buy whatever they wanted for free. It was on the house. The members weren't showing so much interest, even on the D-Day, but free foods were tempting for them. Sungjong were the only one who looked forward for it and expressed it freely.

"Hyung, it's free food! Why can’t you be happy for a while? Yeah, we got free food a lot, but hey, it's Korea! I miss the foods here since all we had for the last weeks in New York were Western. It didn't really suit me."

Woohyun snickered, "So you only happy because of the free food? What about the fans?"

"Oh, they're in my heart already, Woohyun hyung. Don't worry, they're one level above the food. But hey, it's Korea!"

"So what if it's Korea," Myungsoo retorted, "This is where we live. Where you live. You're way too exagerrating."

"Which is why! Korea is great because I was born here!" Sungjong hollered back.

"Yah," The leader replied, still in his relaxing position, "No need to be rude, L. I know Seoul is a great place, but Sungjong, you're making us unable to enjoy it since you're getting too hyped up. Seriously. Stop this childish maknae fight and get ready, the event will start in another minute."

"But hyung," Sungjong whined.

The people who came was a lot too much for the mall's capacity and for the visitor's liking. It was crowded to the point where people couldn't even stand, chat or breath properly; it was suffocating. Only at the lobby though. However, the parking lot was indeed full. There were no place left for late Inspirit, pararell parking was already full too. They needed to park around the mall, by the busy street of Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, and walked to the mall with those fancy clothes they wore to impress their idols.

But for them, meeting eye-to-eye, talking, touching their hands and took one photo with them were worth the pain of walking with tall heels. For Woohyun, there was this one girl that he always kept in mind. She was pure rude, believe him, but once you knew why this rude girl came to the suffocating fan meeting, you would know how great she was.

"Don't get it wrong," She said, "I'm not a fan of you guys. I think you're all too feminine to be guys, some of you have hideous hairs, most of you aren't even handsome and you even wear a lot more make-up than I do, note the fact that I'm a girl. Anyway, here's a letter, a pack of gifts, do sign this poster and CD for me and then I'll shoot a video. Just say hi."

"Err…" Dongwoo hesitated on what to say, "Thanks then, non-fan. What's your name?"

"Oh, it's for my friend. Son Chaerin. All of those are hers."

Dongwoo nodded and continued writing his greeting to Chaerin before passing the poster and CD to Myungsoo who stood beside him. As the things were handed to Woohyun, he wanted to ask out of curiosity but he stopped, "Err… I'm not sure how to call you."

"Hyerim," the young girl stood casually with her hand folded, "Jung Hyerim."

"Okay, Hyerim-ssi," Woohyun continued his postponed question, "Where's your friend? Why doesn’t she come here?"

She answered, "Hospital. Of course she can't come. She's your typical die hard fan. I'm tired listening to songs that I don't even like. Ew."

Sungyeol gawked, "Hospital?"

Hyerim nodded, "Leukemia. And she's 18."

She took her mobile phone out and put on the video setting. Using the front camera, she stood beside Sunggyu who were the last in the row and started waving to it with a gorgeous smile she didn't even show to Infinite. "Hi, Chaerin. Happy birthday! I can't buy anything worth enough for you, I don't have money, so I decided a few greetings from my seven friends here will cheer you up. Here's the first one, Sunggyu-ssi!"

Sunggyu smiled to the camera, seeing his own reflection with eyes that turned into slit already, "Anneyong, Chaerin! So, I heard it's your birthday. Happy birthday! Be happy, okay? Oppa loves you." He formed his hands into a heart sign and waved at it again.

"Next, Sungjong…" Hyerim's words trailed off slowly, "Wait, no, who are you?"

The boy beside her blinked and huffed, "How could you forget me?" He turned towards the camera and pointed his index finger to the frowning girl beside him, "Hello, pretty! I'm your forever Sungyeol oppa! Happy birthday. Keep cheering for your Infinite oppa, okay? Especially to me." He threw a last wink that made Hyerim gagged and rolled her dark brown orbs.

She quickly moved to the next one, "Wui! What do you know, your… Lias? Gias? Err… Wias?"

"Bias," he corrected.

"Yes, bias, Nam Woohyun!"

Woohyun smiled warmly to the camera. He didn't know why but he felt a burst of joy knowing the fact that he was the leukemic girl's bias. He felt the urge to do a long speech. He waved his hand slowly, "Hello, baby! I'm your greasy oppa, Woohyun! Happy happy birthday, Infinite loves you. Especially me, since I'm your bias and all. Keep that smile and laugh on, okay? Keep fighting and recover fastly. Nae saranghaeyo~" He playfully formed a heart over his head with both hands. And this time, Hyerim just smiled. He wasn't cute for her, but she was sure how happy her sick best friend would be.

"Okay, bye! Continue, Sungjong. If I'm not mistaken."

Sungjong grinned, "Hello Chaerin. My name is Lee Sungjong and I'm the cutest maknae in the world-" He said with a cheery high tone.

"Oh, God, no."

"-Anyway, happy birthday! God bless you, be happy, quick get out of that hospital bed and go to our concert. Don't forget to come to the fan meeting and took a picture with us! I love you!"

Hyerim took the phone to the next one, which was Myungsoo. He didn't let her introduce first since he started smiling and talking right when the camera hit his face, "Hello, hello. Who do we have here-"

"Chaerin."

He stopped and threw the girl a dark look, "I know. It's my spotlight. Shut up."

When he started talking again to the cam, Hyerim poke a tongue out at him. "Happy birthday, girl! Call me Myung oppa, okay? And recover fast. I want you back, back, back, ba-"

"Okay, full memory, I gotta go to the last one. Guess who? Dongwoo!" Hyerim interrupted the song Myungsoo just sang, and the latter scrunched his face in a manner of disgust. He clicked his tongue in annoyance, "So rude."

Dongwoo chirped, "So! Since I'm the last then I can talk as much as I can!"

"No, I'm going now. Ten seconds."

"But-"

"Nine."

Dongwoo sighed, "Fine. Hello, Chaerin! I really want to see your face! So visit us sometimes, okay? I love you! Be good, okay? Oppa saranghaeyo~"

As he gave a final wave and so did Hyerim, the video was ended. She quickly took the signed things and bowed low, then smiled warmly at them, "Thank you. You don't know how much this means to my friend; to me. And I just learned how cheesy, crazy and gay-like you all are." Next, she ran down the stage and out of the shopping mall.

Woohyun smiled unconciously. He could just imagine in his mind how the 18 years old girl would reacted. The warm smile at first, then a squeal of surprise, then a big laugh escaped her lips. He could imagine the happiness she had that day.

Too much feels, alright. So, by the end of the day, Infinite received a full sack of fanletters and other two full of gifts. They decided to appreciate them and opened every single one of them. Of course they like everything, but they would keep the best gifts according to their taste. And if the other gifts didn't fill the circumstances, they would give it to the poor. And from that fan meeting, Sungjong made a conclusion that actually, Korean people are rich.

Expensive clothes and accessories, even Myungsoo got a white Beats Executive headphone. And so did Sunggyu, in another color which was black. Woohyun, however, treasured the gift Chaerin gave for him. A small teddy bear with a post-it note attached on it.

Oppa, I sew these teddies myself ^^

Do you like it? xoxo, Son Chaerin & Jung Hyerim

» unknown

Seoul, South Korea

He plopped down the sofa and took the blue calendar on the coffee table. He beamed, smiling ear-to-ear at the circled date. He couldn't wait for his best friends arrival, perhaps his parents or relatives. He couldn't wait for the presents either, piling on the coffee table, screaming for him to be opened. And the cake! He remembered his Dongwoo hyung's promise to buy him a big chocolate ice cream cake with white chocolate icing and dark belgian chocolate topping. He smiled imagining them. It was his birthday. It was February 8th.

From his point of view, it was February 8th.

He stopped looking at the calendar and shifted his attention to the hand holding it. He examined his hand closely and pouted, "Damn, my hands are rough and wrinkly already! Aigoo, I'm getting old."

He happily the TV and continued the K-Drama he hadn't finished yet the day before. Yesterday, he finished the first seven episodes out of sixteen in the morning. Starting afternoon, he had to prepare for that night's concert at a Music Bank in Seoul, which meant he must stop watching 'Reply 1997'. The only reason he wanted to watch that drama was the presence of Hoya in it. He always burst out laughing seeing his fellow band mate playing a gay role in that drama. He munched his breakfast and gulped down his drink without tearing his eyes off the screen. As the hours passed, he sometimes paused the show to threw his trashes or to take another snack, or simply urinate.

In the middle of the fourteenth episode, a soft knock was heard from the door. The guy sitting on the couch paused the movie and ran to the door in full speed. He lifted his chin and opened one of his eyes in front of the peeking hole on the door in full expectation, wishing it would be one of those people he hoped to see. Unfortunately, the expectation and hope were hardly thrown to the floor and stomped by feet when he saw a woman dressed in maid uniform by the door. The smile he had in face fell, along with his happiness, down to the bottom pit of his stomach. He heaved a sigh and opened the door warily.

The woman bowed, "Woohyun Agashi, your lunch."

His eyes trailed down to the food in her hands. It was quite a big meal, roasted salmon and veggies. He frowned, "Can I get a lighter meal? I don't want to get fat. Need to keep the boom boom." He laughed to his own joke, that refered to the boxes on his hard belly.

"Just take it," the woman scoffed and shoved it to his arm rudely, "No exchange."

She turned around her heels, unable to contain the disgust and annoyance she felt to this particular man and the wait to not meeting him again. Before she could take her first step away, he called her back, "Yah! I need hand cream and a mirror for my bathroom!"

"Yes, agashi," The maid angrily turned back to bow and quickly scurried off.

She took a sharp turn to the left and stopped in front of a waiting aged man. He smiled at her apologetically, shoving his hands into the pocket of his coat. The small black name tag stuck on his right chest read 'Dr. Kang Min Hyuk'. The maid pulled off the black headband on her head in a rough manner and started blabbering to the doctor, "Aish! Can I please not work in his case? I'm tired doing and saying and answering the same thing to that man everyday! Can I get an exchange? It's irritating, doctor, I enter medical school to work as a nurse. Why would I wear a maid uniform like this? Hmph!"

She pulled the zipper down and struggled out of the black skirt. Under it was a simple white knee-length dress with the hospital logo sewed on its chest. She pulled the black shoes off and put on her regular white flatshoes.

The doctor laughed, "I'm sorry, Nurse Yang, you're the only one here who looks nearly alike the head maid of his house. Be patient, for that guy's sake."

"But, doctor," the fake maid whined, "If he stays here forever, then I have to do that lunch thing everyday until the day I die? No!"

"Be grateful you're not in his position. Watching the same drama for years, having the same routines everyday, wihtout even remembering it the next day? Besides, your job is only to give him his lunch. He gets his own dinner and breakfast."

Nurse Jung only breathed a huge sigh from her big nostrils in response.

"Now, go, you need to go check the ER. It's your round," Dr. Kang bade goodbye and entered his office.

"Doctor!" the nurse yelled out a few seconds before his body completely disappeared behind the tinted glass door, "Do I need to give him the lotion and mirror? I mean, he asks for it everyday."

The latter didn't even bother to turn around, "Nah, he'll forget it evetually. And he can't be exposed to anything that reflects his face. If he does, next we'll be handling a heart attack patient."