It's You

My Dying Wish

Kai peeked into the white walled room, his hands full of gifts from his friends from school. He smiled when seeing his friend staring at the muted T.V, the beeping from the machine beside him being the only sound. Kyungsoo had lost his hearing recently, sadly it was one of the effects of his unnamed illness.

Kai walked into the room. Kyungsoo immediately felt his presence and faced the boy, he smiled at Kai and held out his slightly shaking hand, Kai set down the gifts and took Kyungsoo's hand. Kyungsoo brought the hand to his chest and squeezed tightly.

Kai eventually let go and told Kyungsoo with sign language that some friends had brought him some gifts, but he was lying, his friends could care less about the ill boy, but Kai didn't dare say that. Today was Kai's birthday, so the gifts were for him, but Kai would happily give them to his friend.

"Good morning, Kai." a feminine voice greeted. Kai turned his head towards the woman and smiled. The woman walked up to Kyungsoo and asked him if he needed anything, Kyungsoo shook his head. The woman eventually left the two alone.

Kyungsoo looked at his friend and tried to speak, but nothing came out. Kai turned to his friend and told him that he had to leave for class, but he will be back tomorrow all day. Kyungsoo faked a smile and waved goodbye, Kai winked at the boy before walking out.

The next day, Kai walked in to see his friend in a deep slumber. Kai ran his hand through the boy's hair, his hair was greasy. Kai wiped his hand on his jeans and sat down beside him, he realized that the gifts were still intact. Kai knew Kyungsoo knew. Kai's phone vibrated in his pocket, his fished it out and saw it was from his friend, Sehun. Kai ignored the call and set his phone down on the nightstand beside the bed.

"Wake up, Kyungie. I want to tell you the good news." Kai said to the sleeping boy. Kai the boys cheek then intertwined his fingers with Kyungsoo's. He leaned against his chair and sighed "I hate this."

Kyungsoo eventually woke up, but Kai was fast asleep. Kyungsoo looked at the boy and smiled, he then realized that he was holding hands with Kai. Kyungsoo blushed madly and took a deep breath.

Kai stirred in his sleep, his head turning towards the boy. Kyungsoo could only stare at those luscious lips that he only wished he could kiss. Kai opened his eyes slowly, then smiled at the boy. Kyungsoo smiled back.

Kai let go of Kyungsoo's hand and told him that he had good news, Kyungsoo perked up. Kai smiled and told him that he had gotten into the university he had always wanted to, Kyungsoo smile widened and he clapped his hands. Kai chuckled.

Kyungsoo smile turned to a frown. Kai asked him what is wrong, but Kyungsoo couldn't dare tell him. Kyungsoo brought up his hands and faltered before asking his question. Can you grant my last wish?

Kai nodded his head, then answered back with an "of course."

Kyungsoo looked at the machine beside him and smiled, Kai looked as well, but there was no smile on his face. Kai tried asking what was wrong, but Kyungsoo didn't answer. Kyungsoo held back his tears then asked.

Kai's eyes widened, he didn't know if he got that right. He asked Kyungsoo to repeat the question. Kyungsoo found it hard the first time, he couldn't ask it again. Kai realized this and asked if he was sure. Kyungsoo nodded.

Kai nodded and leaned over the bed, pecked Kyungsoo's lips, then leaned away. The two stared into each other's eyes, Kyungsoo's were filled with tears. Kai fell back into his chair and touched his lips, he looked at the other than asked the question he never wanted to ask.

"Is it time?" Kai said in both sign language and Korean. Kyungsoo closed his eyes as tears fell, then nodded. Kai slumped in his chair and covered his face in his hands. Kai looked back up at the boy and went for his lips again. Kyungsoo let Kai kiss him, but it wasn't just one kiss, it was many. Kyungsoo smiled.

That night, Kyungsoo died in his sleep. Kai never left his side, and he wouldn't.

Kyungsoo wanted his body to be cremated, and that is what happened, but what he didn't tell anyone but the one in charge of cremations was that he wanted his ashes to be left with Kai, his first and last love.

A week after the funeral, Kai had gotten a knock on his apartment door. He opened the door and greeted the man holding a wrapped object. Kai took the object to his table and sat down, he ripped the wrapping paper to pieces and fell to his seat as he stared at Kyungsoo's ashes. There was a card on top of the box, Kai grabbed the card and opened it up, tears fell as he read it.

I asked you my dying wish, not knowing your answer and as I write this, I won't know your answer until the last day of my life. I have agreed to let the hospital take me off life support, I will die on the day I ask you. Did you grant my wish? I don't hate you if you didn't. I love you. I will always love you, even after I am gone. Don't cry if you miss me, I want you to live life with a smile. Don't worry about me, I'm in a better place I think. I accepted death and will let the angels guide me to Heaven. Maybe one day I will see you, just not for another eighty years. Okay? Live a long and prosperous life, Kai.

Love, Do Kyungsoo