KKT'd

KKT'd

Three thirty in the morning. Her phone vibrated along with a short message alert causing her to flinch in her sleep, a hand reaching for the handheld device under the pillow. It was from Barom. He was asking if she was asleep already.

“Idiot.” She mumbled softly to her phone, her lips curving into a lazy smile. Of course, she was unaware of that smile slowly invading her face. She did not even realize that she smiled as soon as reading his message when in fact, she hates being disturbed from her sleep.

“Why would I exactly be awake at 3:30 AM when there’s nothing to do?” She asked him. Secretly, she was hoping that she sounded stubborn. Or pissed off. Or someone who doesn’t crave for his messages.

“You can talk to me.”

“I’m going to be awake at this hour just to talk to you, oppa?” Oh, how she actually loved it. To be someone he will talk to at the wee hours. To be that one person he sends a message to or thinks about at past three in the morning.

“Hey, I miss you.”

“You’re just sleep-deprived.” She wished that he wasn’t really. Every bit of her prayed that he meant what he just said because she just misses him a lot. If he tells her to meet up, she’ll probably get up and go out even if the winter breeze is more than enough to freeze her.

“I actually slept the whole afternoon so I can’t bring myself to dreamland. Ideas?”

“Drink milk? Exercise? Read a book?” But deep inside, she wanted to say ‘I can read you a book until you fall asleep. Video call? Or come here? Cuddle?’

“Tried them all.”

“Think of me?” It was a joke but jokes are half-meant.

“Why think of you now when you’ll be in my dreams too?”

Yura did not know what to answer to his question. It does not even sound like a question to her. Was it a confession? This time, she wished the mobile app does not let the other person know that she has seen the message already. She read it once, twice, thrice and still did not know how to react. “Did he really mean that?” She asked herself, turning around on the bed so she’ll be lying on her stomach.

She suddenly thought of an article she has read a few months ago. It said that dreams are often affected by the person’s thoughts for the day.  If he thought of her at three in the morning, will he be seeing her in his dreams as well?

Her chest started to feel warm, heart beating as if she’s riding the T-Express. A soft giggle escaped her lips as she turned around once more, lying on her back. Honestly, it was just a couple of days when she hoped that this, this kind of relationship they are having, wouldn’t work out. For her, he was like the waves. It sweeps past the shore but goes back to the waters. He was like the breeze. It blows, sending shivers down her spine, but only for a while. He was like a rollercoaster ride. He brings her up to the clouds but releases her back to the ground.

“Dream of me then.” She bravely replied. It was not a joke this time. She was serious. For her, it would be lovely to meet him in his dreams and maybe there, she'll have the courage to say how much she likes him.

Yura stared at her phone for a long time, nervously waiting for his reply.  One minute, two minutes, three, five… ten.  Actually, this was nothing new for her as it always ends up like this. She has always been at the waiting end.

Twenty minutes… thirty minutes, still no reply. It’s past four in the morning and she cannot help but think that she was just a remedy to his boredom. She was a lullaby to help him fall asleep or a game to play during short breaks. She cannot help but think that she was too pathetic to have this unrequited love. It was not supposed to be like this. This is not how fairy tales go. This is not how Korean dramas end.

All she was able to do was wait for his reply. “I don’t want to look too desperate.  If you’re not the one, then you’re not.” Yura reminded herself. Though, waiting eventually led to her drifting to sleep with tears in her eyes.

Six in the morning. Her phone vibrated along with a short message alert but she did not know. She was still asleep, lost in her dreams that may or may not have him in them. Yura was still oblivious of the fact that the rollercoaster will happen one more. The pushing and pulling that she kept on accepting will occur like how history repeats itself. Her eyes were closed but her heart will never be for him.

 

Barom
Good morning, sunshine.

6:01 am

 

 

 

A/N: This one's a really really short story. I just thought that this oneshot along with IU's Voice Mail is very relevant as to how people usually feel to be at the waiting end. It seriously is difficult to be the one hoping for something to happen out of nothing when the other person is only interested in keeping your hopes up. This was also the top answer to Running Man's survey on teens regarding the most difficult moment they have experienced in unrequited love (Episode 230). And remember, crush either means "a brief but intense infatuation for someone" or "to break or pound". So yup, I wish you had lots of fun reading this.

*Comments (on the story) and/or suggestions (regarding music video plots or songs) maybe be submitted through a direct message or through comments. Thank you!