Aries - Kim Min-seok

Horoscopes

 

"I hope you're not as lonely as I think you are; I worry about you so much."


She sits still by the window, drumming her fingers on the top of her desk.

He pulls a packet of cigarettes out, fumbling slightly with the box.

She turns to him and shakes her head, wondering what could've gone wrong. She ceases the drumming of her fingers and turns to him.

"You're not allowed to smoke in my office, Kim Min-seok." she starts, swallowing a large lump in . She is nervous, and anyone with an above average IQ would be able to tell that she was. He seizes her weaknesses to his advantage, a sly smirk making its way up to his face.

"You could have a smoke too, if you'd like." he chuckles. She hated the games that he'd play with her, how he tried so hard to manipulate her, when her job was to manipulate him. He lights up the cigarette. 

"I'm not allowed to. It's.. A-against the rules of where I work." she replies, smoothing the creases of her skirt away. She tucks a few stray strands of hair from her face to the back of her ears and pushes her rectangular-framed glasses up higher the bridge of her nose. She makes no eye contact with him, only staring at the plaid button down shirt he's wearing, which was buttoned up to the very top. Fascination accompanies her anxiety and she begins to question at how someone with a pure face such as his, could be so confusing and difficult to talk to. 

"Y-you.." she begins, trying to keep her composure. "Were sent here because of a few of your behavioural issues." 

"I'm aware of that, yes."

"And it's your third meeting with me, and we still have n-not made any p-progress.." she continues. 

"Do you not find it ironic?" he straightens his posture and leans toward her, his eyes growing wider.

"Pardon me?"

"Ironic. You are a psychologist. And yet, I, someone who is many years your junior, still give you severe anxiety. Isn't it vice versa? Isn't it that most younger people are afraid of the elder? How students are afraid of authority most of the time?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." she crosses her legs and cups her slightly sweaty palms together, swallowing another lump in . "I am clearly not nervous, Min seok."

"Observe yourself, Miss. Anyone-- with or without a degree could see that you're nervous as ."

"Language, Kim Min-seok." she finally looks him in the eye. "And please do stop smoking in the office, I could get into trouble for this." 

"So what? It's not like I give a ."

"Language." she repeats, this time, in a sharper tone. She furrows her eyebrows and purses her lips, shaking her head. "This is the exact reason why you were sent into my office, Min-seok. Now please, do answer my questions instead of asking me them. You do not like me when I am serious."

"Are you sure it was not you who had requested to see me, Miss?" he sneers, crossing his arms and leaning back into his chair. "A lot of people have also been saying things about you. Don't just think it's me who they speak of. I may be very solitary at school, but I definitely know what goes around."

"I've had enough of you, but I still can't let you leave yet."

"Admit it. It is you, is it not?"

"I'm just concerned about you, Min-seok." 

"Everyone says that. I don't understand why you can't accept I'm fine. Why can't you or the rest of the school can't just accept that I'm fine? It's a given that I might've changed a tad bit, but I'm perfectly normal. I can start conversations with ease, I can do tasks a normal person can do. I'm not that stupid."

"Events like that, how could you have been fine so instantly? I know that you're normal, that you're functioning normally. But how could you be so fine after everything that's happened?"

"I just am."

"I hope you're not as lonely as I think you are; I worry about you so much."

"You do?"

"Of course I do."

"Why? You're just a teacher. Even my own mother refuses to look me in the eye after what's happened. She says she's worried but she doesn't do jack about it." He laughs and puffs out smoke from his cigarette. "She doesn't even ing talk to me like a normal person. I think she should be the one seated in this chair right now, talking to you." 

"You're lonely, are you not?"

"No. I'm perfectly fine." 

"You are lonely, don't try to lie."

"I am perfectly fine." This time, he is unable to maintain a straight face. The sneaky look that had painted his face when he had initially entered the office had washed off, leaving nothing but anxiety in his dark brown eyes. He stands up and shakes his head, making his way for the door. 

"Min-seok.."

And oh, how the tables have turned.

His hand is on the doorknob, his shoulders shaking slightly. His voice quivers.

"Honest to God, I'm fine."

He does not look back. He opens the door and leaves without another word.


A/N - I hope this isn't as ty as I feel like it is.