Final

Concert

“Hurry up, Yibo, we’re going to be late!” I yelled over my shoulder. I swear this boy took longer to get ready than any other girl I knew.

We were going to a Haim concert at a secret venue that Yibo refused to tell me. He surprised me with tickets for my birthday. He had put them on my windowsill all nice and prettily propped up on a card, but they ended up falling behind the radiator and we had spent an hour trying to get them out, but that’s another story.

I heard some shuffling and bumping down the hall where his room was, “It take time for perfection!” his muffled yell sounding through the house.

I sighed and sunk down in the chair not caring if I ruined my nice blouse, “Well your ‘perfection’ is going to make us late.” I lifted my hands in air quotes knowing that he wouldn’t be able to see them.

"Hair this good doesn't just happen, you know!" I heard hairspray being used from the bathroom. I swear there was a hole in the ozone because of this boy alone.

Finally he came bounding down the hall and leaned on the doorframe to catch his breath, “I’m ready.” He shot a dazzling smile.

I waved him off as I headed to the door. I heard him chuckle as he easily walked over to me and reached for my hand. Curse his long legs. He hopped in on the driver’s side and we finally got on the road.

“What took you so long?” I pulled at his hair, “You look the same as before.”

“Yah,” he playfully smacked my hand away and tried to smooth down his already decent hair, “Don’t worry about it.”

"So," I jumped up and down in my seat, "Where is the concert?"

"I told you," he shook his head back and forth, his fringe falling in his eyes, "I can't tell you."

"Yah," I pouted, slumping in my chair, "You're no fun. Secrets are for sharing."

He chuckled, "Well, not this secret."

He looked over at me, "Entertain yourself, we have a long ride ahead."

"Entertain myself." I mocked as I sat up, "Fine, let's listen to some music."

I rolled my eyes and went to turn on the radio. Skrillex blasted from the speakers literally scaring the out of me.

“God!” I jumped and turned the volume knob down until I was sure my ears weren’t bleeding, “Are you mad?”

He cackled his eyes folding into crescents “Are you mad?” he turned it back up, the bass rumbling my bones, "The only way to listen to Skrillex is this loud." by the end of his statement he was practically yelling. He nodded his head to the music as he tried to sing-more like yell-along with the electronic melody. How he managed to sing to dubstep will forever remain an enigma to me.

Well, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. I began loudly yelling and singing along with him. He smiled over at me and took my hand, belting out beautiful nonsense.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

 

“Yibo.”
“Yibooooooooooooooo.”

“Yibo!”

“Jagi,” he sighed, “Could you just be patient?”

“But I’m hungry and we’ve been driving for forever.” I whined plopping my feet on his dashboard. He glared at me from the corner of his eye, but I dismissed it. If I wasn’t getting food then his car didn’t matter.

He grumbled but pulled over into a gas station. I opened the door as he pulled the car into park.

“Yah!” he got out, “Wait until I’m fully stopped!”

“Yea whatever, grandpa.” I snickered walking inside.

Candy of every kind greeted me. I was like a kid in a, well, candy store, except this candy store also sold cigarettes and wash fluid.

“I’ll buy you whatever.” Yibo came up beside me and picked up a Kit Kat bar.

“Whatever?” my eyes widened at the possibilities.

“Yah!” Yibo looked at me nervously, “That doesn’t mean put me into debt with candy!”

I laughed and poked him in his side, “You worry too much.” Simply picking out a bag of Sour Patch Kids I plopped it in his hands.

“Better?” I smiled sweetly at him.

He rolled his eyes and walked over to the sodas, “You’re a handful sometimes.” He grumbled under his breath.

I shook my head, grabbing his hand, “You’re a handful, but that’s one of the traits I love about you.”

He squeezed my hand and we paid for everything. Getting back in the car, we began our journey to the concert, which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

Soon, the sun began to set and the worry began to set in. We seemed like we weren’t anywhere near the venue. We passed building after building that I had never seen before.

I turned down the dubstep that was playing and turned to Yibo, “Are you sure you know where we’re going.”

“Look,” he kept his eyes straight on the road, “Who knows Korea better?”
“But-“

“Trust me.” He rubbed his thumb soothingly along my hand, “You must be tired why don’t you take a nap?”

I grumbled but decided to comply with his request. As we stopped at a light Yibo pushed my chair back.

“Sleep well, okay?” he tucked a strand of stray hair behind my ear and kissed my nose, “I’ll wake you when we get there.”

I pulled his jacket from the backseat and snuggled up in my chair. The smell of his cologne lingering on his jacket and the warmth of the car had me asleep in minutes.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

 

“Wake up.”

I felt something up on my nose but I swiped it away.

“Five more minutes, mom.” I turned over.

“Seriously, wake up.”

Wait, that wasn’t my mom’s voice. I turned over again, something restraining me. This wasn’t my bed. My eyes flew open and the landed on Yibo. I looked around; I wasn’t in my room, but in his car. I took in his nervous face and the dark now enveloping our car.

“Why is it so dark outside?” I rubbed my eyes and adjusted my seat until I was sitting correctly, “Are we here?”

He nervously scratched the back of his neck, “See what happened was-“ he trailed off.

I looked out the window to see that we were in an empty parking lot.

“Where’s the concert?” My confusion quickly turned to anger as his silence said everything, “Yibo!”

“I got lost,” his eyes seemed to plead with me to understand, but I was too angry.

“Why couldn’t you just tell me where we were going,” I threw my hands up in frustration, “I could have helped.”

He let his head fall in defeat and shrugged his shoulders, “I just wanted to do something nice and I messed up, I know.”
“Yea, you did,” I unbuckled my seatbelt, “And now look at where we are! In the middle of ing nowhere!” I got out the car and slammed my door and walked off.

“Where are you going?” I heard Yibo’s door open.

“Anywhere but near you!” I quicken my pace as I left the parking lot to accompanying baseball field. I threw myself on the bleachers as hot tears streamed down my face. I knew I was being harsh. I knew I was overreacting, but I was looking forward to this concert so much and now it was all ruined.

I heard the rustling of tires over gravel and faint music. Looking up, I gasped as Yibo drove onto the field. He stopped the car and got out. Haim blasted from the speakers as he walked to the side of the car closest to me. He timidly looked over at me as he began to dance.

As I watched the way his body moved my anger began to dissolve. Jumping off the bleachers and unto the ground I slowly made my way over to Yibo. A smile played on my lips as he caught my eye.

“What are you doing, Yibo.” I tried to sound serious but I knew he could see right through me.

“Shh!” he brought his finger to his lips, “You’re going to miss the best part.” He grabbed my hands and spun me around.

“Yibo!” I laughed breathlessly as he began to dance with me.

We danced until the song ended and he leaned against the car. He hesitantly grabbed me by the waist and pulled me closer.

“I’m so sorry about tonight.” He rubbed his thumb soothingly across my cheek.

“It’s okay,” I threaded my fingers through his, “I overreacted. I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”

“Yea, you shouldn’t have,” a mischievous smile made its way onto his lips.

“Hey,” I playfully grabbed his shirt, “Let’s not put everything on me.”

He looked into my eyes as the smile left his face, “Let’s try not to fight again, okay?”

I held out my pinky and he locked his with mine eagerly,  “I promise.”

He pulled me closer and brought his face to mine in a sweet kiss. My hands travelled up his shoulders and into his hair.

“You know,” I said as we pulled away, “I’m glad you spent extra time on your hair, it feels really good.”

He laughed and pulled me to his chest, “You know what…”

“Let’s go back home because you owe me some ice cream,” I still continued to snuggle into his chest.

“Fine,” he laid his head on mine, “As long as you pay.”

I pulled away and crossed my arms, “Me?”

He kissed my check and ran around the car jumping into the driver’s seat, “Hurry up, jagi! I’m looking forward to that ice cream!”

“I’m going to kill him.” I grumbled to myself as I sulked over to the passenger’s side.

I was going to kill him if his beautiful face didn’t kill my anger first.