Safety Zone

Safety Zone
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Stop right there.

If you take one more step, I can't protect you.

Once again, green light, red light.

I hold onto you, who has left."

 

"NO!"

 

 

"Go for a walk with me? Please?"

"I...um...hurrrrrrrrrr......"

 

 

There was a beauty in questions. They were a path to the unknown; an adventure. Jongin had tread the pebbles of many questions, his feet crunching all of the uncertainty beneath them, marching towards the answer ahead.

However, there was a horror in them, too, and that was exactly what Jongin was feeling because...how was he supposed to answer that?

Jongin teetered on the balls of his feet. His hand unconsciously placed itself onto the left side of his chest, trying to soothe the violently trembling organ on the inside of his flesh. Its thumping reached his ears like a drum.

The masterpiece ahead of him, Do Kyungsoo, looked straight into his soul. He was a creature too beautiful, too perfect for reality. This young man had whisked Jongin's heart away into the palm of his hand, and Jongin had a feeling he wouldn't ever get it back. He'd been snatched away by talons, and he liked the cuts.

Kyungsoo's legs swung back and forth as he awaited Jongin's answer. The movement made the trauma surgeon nauseous; those legs belonged wrapped around his own body. Kyungsoo continued the playful midair stride in spite of Jongin's paling face, his arms all the while tightening around the bear the trauma surgeon had anonymously gifted him with the day before.

Kyungsoo's expression began to fall as the seconds passed, bringing with them another grain of desperation onto the hill in his mind. As a mocking emphasis, the clock above ticked loudly with each one. Jongin noticed the subtle switch of Kyungsoo's emotions and took a step away from the door he'd been wanting to escape from.

"A w-walk?"

Kyungsoo nodded, cheeks glistening with a dash of natural blush. He looked at Jongin with hopeful eyes. If there was anyone he wanted to go outdoors with, it was the man who'd so kindly saved his life.

Jongin rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't know if I can. I mean, I work until really late, and even then I could get called in for an emergency, so—"

"I'll wait!" Kyungsoo cut in, automatically shrinking afterward. "Please? I'll wait..."

Jongin's heart seemed to lose all sense of rhythm. His ribcage hurt from the strength of its pumps. It was a hammer swing to his entire being, but the good kind. He didn't even notice the smile that was spreading across his face, his complexion returning steadily.

Kyungsoo would wait for him, no matter how long it took. Jongin allowed his mind to glimpse into the future, to a healthy Kyungsoo waiting at home for Jongin to return from work, leaping into his arms once he did.

Could they go that far? Would this infatuation last? Jongin knew it would. It would go on until the end of time for him, at least. He saw their future joy, their future ups and downs, and their happiness in the back of his mind

Coming back to reality, Jongin noticed Kyungsoo suddenly looked so tiny and weak. The big eyes on his face were growing more, begging and pleading. Jongin had the urge to scoop him up into an embrace and to never let go. He couldn't deny him when he looked so small like that. The trauma surgeon nodded in compliance, and Kyungsoo immediately seemed to lighten up, his back straightening into a perfect posture.

"Really?"

"Yes," Jongin said. "But you'll have to be patient, patient."

Kyungsoo smiled. "I will!"

He glowed, and Jongin felt sublimely happy to see that. He'd do anything to see that face appear that way every single day, to wake up to it. The only word that could come into his mind upon looking at it was 'stunning.'

The surgeon offered a grin back before exiting the room, shutting the door softly behind himself. Kyungsoo laid back down onto the bed once he'd gone, clutching the stuffed bear to his chest. He only then realized it had the same scent of masculinity that had flowed off of Jongin.

Kyungsoo took in a big whiff, trying to cease his lips from curling into the kind of smile he hadn't had in a very long time. His heart swelled. He felt giddy. The crush he had on Jongin was beginning to swallow him up like PacMan, and he let it.

He let out a tiny shrill of delight.

 

Jongin's muscles ached.

The day had been a complete mess. Upon leaving Kyungsoo's room, he'd been dragged down the hall for his first surgery of the day by a pair of frantic nurses. A little girl had been injured badly in a car accident, and he was her only hope.

It was over now. The entire day had been devoted to this poor child. Jongin had done more than just stitched her up; he personally monitored her for the rest of the evening before her parents had the chance to come.

At the moment, he looked in the bathroom mirror as he washed his hands with a load of soap. Goodbye, germs. He yawned softly. His cheeks looked sunken in. He hated these kinds of workdays, the ones that the life out of him. He was going to look like a disaster in front of Kyungsoo now.

Kyungsoo... At the thought of him, Jongin began to speed up the process. He inspected his hands, making sure they were clean, before grabbing his belongings and speed walking down the hallway towards the room from which sunshine seemed to beam even in the dead of night.

He broke into a full-out sprint sometime along the way, his body going numb and acting on his heart's accord. As the room numbers began increasing, Jongin knew he was getting closer. He felt like he was flying.

The door was closed, just the way he'd left it. Pressing his ear to it, Jongin could hear some shuffling inside. Was that Kyungsoo walking? Or was somebody else in there with him? Jongin unconsciously grit his teeth, an unknown dose of jealousy injecting itself into his system.

He had the right to go in no matter what, he reminded himself. He'd been Kyungsoo's trauma surgeon. With this in mind, he opened the door with a powerful swing, causing it to bounce back off of the wall with a slam and hit him in the face.

"Are you ok?!"

Jongin slowly moved the door aside, holding his nose. "I think so..."

He got a clear view of Kyungsoo standing next to the window, holding his bear. The moonlight swarmed around his figure, enunciating his smooth curves and milky-white skin. He looked beautiful in front of the night's backdrop.

Kyungsoo hurried over to him, his bare feet sliding on the floor. It was the first time Jongin had seen him on his two feet. His height shocked him. He was...he was so short! Oh my God, can he get any freaking cuter?!

"Let me see." Kyungsoo removed Jongin's hand off of his nose. "Oh! It's all red!"

"It's ok," Jongin assured him. "Nothing feels broken."

"Does it hurt?"

"Yes," Jongin admitted.

Kyungsoo cocked his head to the side, large eyes twinkling even if his back was turned to the moon's light pouring in through the window. He raised himself onto his tippy-toes and gave Jongin's nose a gentle kiss.

"Does it hurt now? Or does it feel better?"

The blood rushed to Jongin's cheeks. He forced it back down to the rest of his body, trying to regain his calmness. He produced a nervous smile.

"Do you have a medical degree? Because, yes: it feels much better."

Kyungsoo beamed, looking proud. In reply, Jongin put his hand in the other's hair and gave it a good ruffling. Kyungsoo shut one eye, watching the movement of Jongin's hand with the other, and giggled.

"For curing you, can we go on that walk now?"

"Wow. Asking for favors in return? I thought you were too nice for something like that."

"You promised!" Kyungsoo whined, hitting Jongin with the bear.

"Ok!" Jongin laughed, setting his tote and doctor's coat down onto the floor. "But not like that. We have to dress you properly."

"They washed my clothes and brought them back to me." Kyungsoo ran to his bedside table and held up the bundle for emphasis. "Turn around so I can change."

Jongin did so. However, from the angle he was standing in, he faced the mirror hanging next to the door. He was able to see Kyungsoo's reflection perfectly, and as much as he argued with himself to look away, he couldn't.

So he watched. Like the creep he was. His eyes soaked in every part of Kyungsoo. Flawless. From the bottom to the top; flawless. His petite figure shimmied into each article of clothing smoothly, his tight thighs disappearing inside of his jeans, his lean chest covered by his thin sweater, and his wiggling toes into their sneaker-home.

Kyungsoo flattened any wrinkles in his clothes, nodding to himself when everything looked in order. He skipped over to Jongin, only then seeing the other's eyes reflecting back at him. He blushed and took his position at Jongin's side.

"P-ert."

"Sorry..." Not sorry.

"I'm r-ready."

Jongin draped his jacket around Kyungsoo. "It's cold outside. I don't know where yours is so take mine."

"But then you'll be cold..."

"You can keep me warm."

Kyungsoo's face grew redder. Hesitantly, he hugged Jongin's waist, the other's jacket crinkling against his body. Jongin's complexion soon matched his, and Kyungsoo sighed with relief, glad to share the burden of embarrassment with someone else.

They walked out of the room together, Kyungsoo still clinging to Jongin. As they filed to the elevator, Kyungsoo continued to hold on.  Kyungsoo's arms remained with him as the elevator glided down and they exited.

The air was crisp when they finally stepped outside. Kyungsoo relaxed, immediately melting into his surroundings. Yes. He'd missed this. Being in a hospital bed and seeing the outdoors through the window without actually being able to enjoy them had been hell. This was heaven.

Jongin glanced down at his face. Kyungsoo's eyes had fallen shut, the wind c

Please log in to read the full chapter