Chapter 1

Goodbye, Hello

"No."
"Pleeassseeee."
"No."
"Baabbbyyyy."
You gave him a pointed look. "No matter how much you whine, the answer is still going to be no."
Daehyun pouted at you. "But it'll be fun."
"No, it'll be cold." You indicated towards the window and the snow that was falling outside. "Besides, it's late."
"But it's a special day. We should go out to celebrate." he argued.
"We can celebrate just fine from here." you countered and sat down on the couch. "Where it's warm and comfy."
"But we'll miss all the fun." he whined.
You pointed towards the television. "That's why they televise it. So the normal, sane people can see it but stay out of the cold."
A little, goofy grin formed on his face. "Normal is overrated." Then he quickly made his way over to you. He got on his knees in front of you, clasped his hands together, and stuck out his bottom lip.
You groaned at his display and rolled your eyes before allowing a tiny giggle to surface.
Smiling that his begging worked, he unclasped his hands to grab one of yours. "Please." he pleaded, his tone more serious. "I really want to do this with you."
You stared at him for a moment before closing your eyes and sighing. "Alright."
"Yay!" he cheered. Then he hurriedly stood and tugged you off of the couch. He wasted no time in leading you to the front door and opening the hall closet. He pulled out your coat and handed it to you before grabbing his.
You slipped your coat on and zipped it up. Then your vision was obscured as you felt your head being pushed around.
"Sorry, hold on."
You laughed and reached up to help him fix the beanie hat he put on your head. You adjusted it so you could see once more and he helped push your hair back.
"Better?" he questioned.
"I don't know. I have to look at you now."
He immediately glared at you but ended up laughing. Then he handed you some gloves before putting his own hat and gloves on.
Once you were both bundled up, you let him lead you outside and in to the night.
"See. Cold." you proclaimed as you breathed out and saw your breath in the air.
"It's winter, it's suppose to be cold." he commented teasingly as the two of you set off down the sidewalk.
You gave him a little glare before your eyes widened. Daehyun slipped but managed to regain his balance before he fell. When you could tell he was okay, you smirked at him. "I'm going to laugh if you slip and fall face first in to the snow."
"If I hurt myself though, will you take care of me?" he questioned.
You rolled your eyes and sighed. "Of course you big baby."
Daehyun suddenly stopped walking and eyed a pile of snow thoughtfully.
"Not if you do it on purpose!" you shouted at him.
He laughed and nodded his head. "Alright then. If you insist." He started to walk again but then yelped when his foot slipped and he fell in to the snow.
You gasped and reached for him but he quickly stood up. "I'm okay, I'm okay." he proclaimed. "And I did not do that on purpose."
You let out a breath of relief and then grabbed his hand. "I knew we should have stayed in."
"I'll be fine." he asserted and smiled at you.
You chewed on your bottom lip for a moment, not sure if you believed those words or not. You let him lead you down the sidewalk though and away from home. Then you frowned and tried to pull your hand back.
Daehyun stopped walking and gave you a confused look. "What?"
"If you go down, you are not taking me with you." you declared.
He pouted once more and squeezed your hand tightly. "But I want to hold your hand." Then he stuck his bottom lip out.
You frowned a little but gave in and continued to hold his hand as you set off once more. "That's not going to work every time you know."
He smirked at you. "We'll see about that."

After several minutes of walking, you came up to a bridge and Daehyun pulled you on to it. Once you were mostly over the middle of the river, he stopped and turned to you.
"We're here." he stated with a proud smile.
You glanced around and then gave him a curious look.
He chuckled and pointed down river. "If you look hard enough, you can see the main celebration place."
You went over to the bridge railing and squinted your eyes a little. Sure enough, you could see lots of lights off in the distance. Then you turned your head and saw Daehyun leaning against the railing too but his gaze was on you.
"I still don't see what the big deal is." you confessed to him.
He glanced down river and a soft smile formed on his face. "I do." he quietly said.
You wondered about what he meant but didn't question him further. Instead, you sighed and changed the subject. "Hard to believe another year has come and gone."
"Yeah." he agreed. "Though I'm not going to miss it."
You raised your eyebrow at him. "Well excuse you. I thought we had plenty of happy moments together."
"We did." he quickly declared in his defense with a laugh. Then he stepped closer and grabbed you, turning you to face him. "That's not what I meant."
You took one look at the expression on his face and frowned. "You're going to get cheesy right now, aren't you?"
"Yes so be quiet and listen."
You laughed and shook your head before getting quiet like he wanted. Even if it was only from pressing your lips tightly together.
"I won't miss this year but only because a new year is coming. Just because something ends, it doesn't mean that it's 'the end'. Endings are just new beginnings." he told you. "I'll always remember and cherish the happy moments we had together, but it's what's going to happen that excites me." He grabbed your hands and brought them up to cup his face. "Making new memories with you. As long as you're with me, I can say 'goodbye' to this year and say 'hello' to the new year."
You stared at him and felt yourself blush a little.
"Ok come on, that was totally worth coming outside for."
You yanked your hands away and playfully pushed him. He laughed as he took a step back and you rolled your eyes before giggling.
"Admit it. Admit it." he teased with a huge grin on his face.
You tried to not smile but failed. "Fine. That was good." you relented. Then you huffed and looked up at the sky. "It's still snowing though."
"Actually that's perfect." he declared, looking up as well. "Cause it'll technically be the first snow fall of the new year and I get to share it with you."
Another cheesy comment and you attempted to not blush again. Then your shoulders dropped as you stared at him disbelief. He had his mouth wide open and was trying to catch as many snowflakes as he could with it as he staggered around the sidewalk.
"Stop before you slip and fall in to the river." you chided as you grabbed him.
He chuckled and stuck his tongue out at you. "You're just jealous cause I can catch more snowflakes than you."
"Only cause of your big mouth that never stays closed." you countered.
He closed his mouth before his lips and smirking. "Yet you never complain when I do this." Then he quickly pulled you closer and kissed you.
You hesitated while blushing before kissing him back. The feeling of his soft lips against yours... no, you could never complain about that. Instead you wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him closer. He in turn slipped his arms around your waist to hold you tightly.
Suddenly the air was filled the sounds of fireworks and Daehyun broke the kiss off to smile at you. "First memory, first snow, and..." He gently pressed his lips against yours. "First kiss. Goodbye old year, hello new year."
The light from the fireworks danced around his face but you didn't look up to see them. You just stared in to his warm eyes and the little twinkle in them. He never took his eyes off of you either. Except to lean in and kiss you again.