germination

sunflower
"You should be fine but I need you to be hospitalized for about a month"
 
Seokjin's face fell upon hearing the doctor's words and turned towards his lover. "For a month? How am I going to live without you?" Hoseok patted Seokjin like a mother reassuring her child, "It'll be over quick. Besides, you can come visit me everyday."
 
The doctor watching them chuckled, "I'm glad to see the patient so positive about hospitalization. A nurse will be here shortly to transport you to your room."
 
"Here is your room. It's empty now but your roommate from the other building will transfer tomorrow so you won't be lonely." With that, the nurse smiled and left the two alone.
 
"Do you think I can stay overnight on that bed? I don't want to leave you here. What if the transfer guy falls in love with you?" Seokjin whined as he thought of the worst possible scenarios. Hoseok poked his forehead rolling his eyes. "Even if that guy falls for me like the gorgeous human being that I am, my heart belong only to you."
 
"Well I'm going to come everyday and keep an eye on him," Seokjin engulfed Hoseok in a hug. "I have a meeting so I'm going to have to go now," he begrudgingly grabbed his coat and walked towards the door, "I'll stop by as soon as tomorrow comes." Hoseok gave him a peck on the cheek waving goodbye.
 
Hoseok headed towards the bed with a heavy sigh. He decided to sleep because that's the only way he could see Seokjin again.
 
The next morning, Hoseok woke up to the busy sounds of people working in the hospital. He dreaded the fact that machine beeping and hushed whispers of nurses would be his alarm every morning. He checked his watch counting how many hours until his boyfriend would come but it was still too early. As he stood up to go to wash his face, he heard soft snoring from behind the curtain. He chuckled at the cute sounds.
 
Oh, that's right. I have a roommate. I should wake him up and eat breakfast together.
 
He wanted to make himself look presentable to the roommate. With a weak body and limping legs, he headed towards the door he assumed to be the bathroom. Once finished with practicing his best smiles in the bathroom mirror, he headed towards the other side of the room shielded by a thick, dark green curtain.
 
"Hello?" Hoseok whispered cautiously as he pulled away the curtain. The boy who looked tad younger than himself was still sleeping. Hoseok couldn't help but feel a chill. The compared to his side of the room, this side was dark even though there was a window with the afternoon sun shining through it.
 
With soft footsteps, Hoseok sat down on a wheeled stool beside the bed. He wanted to wait until the boy woke up but he was starting to feel lonely. The boy slurred incoherent words in his sleep. Hoseok poked his cheek and the boy rubbed his eyes and looked at Hoseok confusedly.
As Taehyung opened his eyes to see who had interrupted his slumber, he saw a bright figure amidst the darkness of the room. Oh, this must be my new roommate.
 
Seeing how Taehyung finally woke up, Hoseok moved closer, as if there were any distance at all. "Hi, I'm your hospital roommate for the next few weeks. My name is Hoseok. What is yours?" He flashed his prize winning, friendly smile as he helped Taehyung sit up on the bed.
It'd be a lie of Taehyung didn't like the fact someone woke him up for a simple introduction but gave a shy smile instead, "I'm Taehyung."
 

The two spend the rest of their afternoon together eating snacks and talking about life. They discover that Hoseok is older than Taehyung by a year. On their way back to their room, they banter about how Hoseok doesn’t act like mature enough to be called a hyung with earns Taehyung a weak nudge in the head.

“You’re even weaker than I am” Taehyung’s eyes crinkle as they enter the room. The teasing went unnoticed as Hoseok runs towards a tall stranger and promptly hugs him. “Jin! You actually came today!” Taehyung watched awkwardly as Hoseok snuggled into the man’s arms. “Of course, I couldn’t focus on work because I missed you. Thankfully, they gave me an early lunch break today.” The man by the name of Jin handed a wide-eyed Hoseok a bouquet of zinnias.
 
“What flowers are these?” Hoseok asked as he took a sniff and place them next to his bed. “Zinnias. I told the girl who works at the shop about you and she recommended me these. She said it symbolizes long lasting love and doesn’t wither quickly like our love" Seokjin buried his face in his wool scarf. "Aww you're so cheesy" Hoseok's eyes crinkled with happiness.
 
Seokjin stuffed his hands inside his pockets and tipped his head towards the other guy. “So, who’s he?”
 
Hoseok eyes lit up remembering his new found friend and excitedly bounced towards Taehyung, who had been standing there not knowing what to do. “He’s the roommate the nurse told us about--Taehyung.” Seokjin looked over Taehyung and clicked his tongue. The small gesture ticked Taehyung off. Unknownst to Hoseok, Taehyung could feel Seokjin’s strong claim on Hoseok but he didn’t understand why Seokjin would bother. He shrugged Hoseok off and headed towards the other side of the curtain.
 
Taehyung could not ignore the weird feelings in his stomach as he pulled up the covers. The last things he heard as he fell asleep were Hoseok's bell like laughter and the hushed exchanges of the lovey dovey couple.
 
For the rest of the week, Seokjin continued to bring zinnias, glare at Taehyung, and leave to finish his work. Wanting to ignore the glares and whatever happened beyond the curtain, Taehyung always pretended to sleep while Seokjin was at the room. He struggled to as the stench of flowers attacked his nose and his mind because he realized, he fell in love with someone he can't have.
 
**
a/n this was supposed to be a oneshot but oh whelp
hope you liked chapter 1/3