Chapter 1

The Quest for Atlantis

          “Get back here you son of a !” came a shrill from inside one of the male brothels that rested along the beach town of Grenada. Through the window jumped a man, who gripped in his hand a small bag of coins. Quickly getting to his feet, the man hurried down the road as a e looked out of the window and shouted “You owe me Kim Heechul!”

          The man stopped and turned back to the window before replying “That’s Captain Kim Heechul; and I owe you nothing, I’m a pirate mate. Well, better be off then.”

          Heechul continued running through the dark streets until he reached a local tavern where he frequented. He slowed his running to a walk as he entered the establishment and looked around. In the back corner he found just the man he was looking for. Strolling over, Heechul plopped down in a seat and said “Mr. Shindong, it’s been awhile.”

          Shindong choked on his beer at the sudden shock of his old captain friend. “Heechul, it’s been almost a year,” Shindong stated as the two shook hands.

          “That it has,” Heechul confirmed.

          “So what has the infamous Captain Kim Heechul been up to since last we saw one another?” Shindong wondered.

          “Brothels mate, I’ve been in and out of brothels,” Heechul said.

          Shindong chuckled. “That I could’ve guessed. Do you want some beer or something?”

          “No, but I’ll take some rum,” Heechul replied before reaching back and grabbing a cup off of a waitress’s tray and tasting it. “Yep, there’s some rum.” After Heechul downed the alcohol and slammed the glass down, he asked “So Mr. Shindong, I have something I need your pirating assistance with.”

          The first mate leaned forward and said “Yes?”

          “I’ve come into the possession of something that could lead us to eternal fortune mate,” Heechul informed. He reached into his jacket and pulled out a rolled up scroll. Unraveling it and laying it across the table, Heechul continued “On this map is said to be the location of a city abandoned and forgotten. A city that is said to still have it’s riches there.”

          “Heechul, are you talking about –” Shindong started.

          “Aye, I’m talking about that place,” Heechul confirmed with a large grin.

          “So where is it?” Shindong asked.

          “I have no idea,” Heechul confessed. “I’ve looked over this thing many times and cannot figure out the exact location, but I do know someone who can help us, someone who is very skilled and knowledgeable when it comes to the sea.”

          “You mean Leeteuk?” Shindong wondered.

          Leeteuk was a close friend of Heechul’s who used to be his number one navigator on their travels, and worked with Heechul and Shindong for years, until one day, just suddenly, Leeteuk stopped going out to sea, and locked himself away in his home, studying charts and weather patterns. “Aye, Leeteuk,” Heechul confirmed.

          “Heechul, the man has been off his rocker for close to seven years now, ever since he shut himself away from the world. Plus he freaks me out,” Shindong reminded.

          “He may be a crazy son of a , but he can at least help us locate our destination, and he can do it accurately and quickly,” Heechul said. Heechul saw Shindong’s doubtful expression, so he leaned forward and muttered “I need your assistance, will you help me or not?”

          Shindong was silent for a few moments before smiling and stating “Aye captain, I’ll help ya.”

          Heechul grinned before replying “Excellent, now then, we shall need to recruit some new crew members, and obtain a ship. You handle the recruits; I’ll get the ship ready. Meet by the dock tomorrow at sunset.”

          The next day, Heechul walked down to the dock and noticed six recruits standing in an orderly fashion near Shindong. “This is it?” Heechul asked in a questioning tone.

          “Aye sir, these were all the signed up,” Shindong confirmed.

          “Mr. Shindong, why are there two women here?” Heechul demanded as he looked down at the blonde and brunette at end of the line.

          “Captain, those are men, just feminine men,” Shindong slowly explained.

          Heechul walked over to them and said “State your names.”

          “I’m Ryeowook,” the brunette introduced.

          “I’m Sungmin,” the blonde stated.

          “We’re best friends,” the two said in unison.

          “You’re not going to break out in a dance and song, are you?” Heechul questioned.

          “Not if you don’t want us to,” Sungmin replied.

          “What are in those pouches you have there?” Heechul wondered as he pointed at the small pouches that both Sungmin and Ryeowook had on their belts.

          “These hold our make-up,” Ryeowook stated.

          “We never go anywhere without it,” Sungmin added.

          “Are you sure you two wanna be pirates? You’ll have to do hard, manual labor,” Heechul asked.

          “Aye captain,” the two said in unison.

          Heechul turned to Shindong. “They’ll do,” he stated before moving down to the next person. He noticed the man had on a cross necklace, and held a Bible firmly in his hand. “And just who might you be, clergyman?”

          “My name is Siwon,” the dark haired man informed. “I wish to join your crew.”

          “Well, you obviously have the muscle for it, but why else do you wanna be a part of my crew?” Heechul asked as he crossed his arms.

          “I want to rescue lost souls at sea,” Siwon said. “I’m trying to do the good work of our Lord.”

          “Yes, I’ve read the bedtime stories too. Well clergyman, you have the muscle, so you will be very useful.” He turned to Shindong. “He’ll do.”

          Heechul took a few steps down to the next man and noticed his eyes were closed and he was swaying back and forth. “What’s with this one, is he stupid?” Heechul whispered to Shindong.

          “No captain, he’s drunk,” Shindong corrected.

          The dark haired brunette opened his eyes and slurred “I’m not drunk, you’re all just really hazy looking.”

          “Mate, do you know your own name?” Heechul wondered.

          “Deckhand Kyuhyun reporting –” he stopped before turning to vomit over the side and into the sea. When he’d finished, Kyuhyun turned back around and finished “– reporting for duty captain.”

          “Are you always like this?” Heechul asked.

          “Only when I drink,” Kyuhyun stated.

          Heechul turned to Shindong. “Hide the rum from this one,” he instructed.

          “He’s kinda cute,” Sungmin muttered to Ryeowook.

          “But he drinks a lot,” Ryeowook reminded.

          “I know, but his face is adorable,” Sungmin replied as a blush formed on his cheeks while he gazed over at Kyuhyun.

          When Heechul saw who was next, he loudly sighed. “What the Hell are you doing here Yesung?” he demanded.

          “I’m here for another adventure Heechul,” Yesung stated.

          “That’s Captain Heechul to you.” Heechul looked at Shindong. “I thought we marooned his stupid on an island,” he whispered.

          “You did, but luckily these turtles saved me. I talked to them, and they worshiped me as a turtle god, and gave me this little guy,” Yesung explained before patting the little turtle that sat on his shoulder.

          “He has a turtle on his shoulder,” Heechul muttered in disbelief.

          “This is Sweet Potato, he’s my pet,” Yesung said.

          “Do we have to bring him?” Heechul asked.

          “Pirate Code says so; the only time we can’t accept a recruit is if they seem to be a threat to the rest of the crew,” Shindong reminded.

          “He’s a threat to my health,” Heechul grumbled. “But I guess he’ll do. I’ll put him in the crew’s nest so he’ll be out of the way.”

          “I think that one’s cute,” Ryeowook whispered to Sungmin.

          “The guy with the turtle?” Sungmin wondered.

          “Yeah,” Ryeowook confirmed.

          “He’s a little weird though,” Sungmin figured.

          “I don’t mind, he seems sweet,” Ryeowook muttered, looking over at the oblivious Yesung.

          “Alright, now for our last recruit,” Shindong said as they approached the last man.

          Heechul looked at the recruit and immediately felt something ignite inside of his as he gazed into the dark brown eyes. “State your name,” Heechul instructed.

          “My name is Hankyung captain,” the dirty blonde responded.

          “Are you willing to do everything I say and follow any command I give you?” Heechul questioned.

          “Aye,” Hankyung agreed. “I am at your disposal sir.”

          Heechul allowed a smile to slip across his lips before turning to Shindong. “He’ll do.” Heechul stood back in front of all of the recruits and announced “You have all been accepted into Captain Kim Heechul’s crew. Our ship, the S.S. Gulliver will set sail first thing in the morning. For tonight, we drink in celebration for the quest we will embark on.”

          “Yay, we’re pirates now,” Sungmin squealed as he and Ryeowook clapped and jumped up and down.

          “Pirates don’t do that,” Heechul spat before the two feminine men stopped jumping and clapping.

          “Sorry,” Ryeowook muttered.

          That night, while his new crew drank and got acquainted with one another, Heechul and Shindong sat at their usual spot in the corner. “You think they’ll survive?” Shindong wondered.

          “If they apply themselves and use common sense they will,” Heechul said before downing his last bit of rum.

          “Well, if it ain’t Captain Kim Heechul,” came a voice from a darkened corner of the room. From out of the shadows walked Kangin, a pirate captain himself who Heechul used to be allies with. After a scuffling years ago over some found gold, that ended with Heechul getting the lower half of the bargain, Heechul didn’t trust Kangin. “I never thought I’d see you again, especially not with a new crew.”

          “Ah Kangin, pleasure to see you again,” Heechul sarcastically responded. “Come to rub it in how you still have your riches, have you?”

          “No, I be here to see how you are. A crew member of mine who was in here last night tells me that you’ve found something,” Kangin stated as he sat down.

          Heechul felt the map inside his jacket and replied “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

          “C’mon Heechul, out with it, you remember how good of friends you and I once were,” Kangin reminded.

          “Aye, before you cheated me out of what should be mine you thieving bastard,” Heechul mumbled. “Anyways, this city’s treasure is rightfully going to be mine once I claim it, and there’s no way I’m letting you near it.”

          “Wanna bet?” Kangin asked before the sound of a clicking gun was heard. Heechul looked under the table and found a gun pointed at his stomach. “This can either end with you dead or alive Heechul and either option is fine by me.”

          Slowly, Heechul reached into his jacket and pulled out the rolled up map, laying it down on the table in front of Kangin before he heard the safety on the gun click on. As Kangin unraveled the map and gazed at it, Heechul looked at Shindong before grabbing the bottom of the table and shoving it up, spilling everything to the ground. While Kangin fell, Shindong reached and grabbed the map before throwing it to Heechul. The pirate threw the map into the tavern fire before hearing Kangin yell “No!”

          The pirate pulled his out his sword, just as Heechul did and the two captains began to duel. “Crew, time to go,” Shindong informed as he hurried the new recruits outside and towards the Gulliver.

          “What about Captain Heechul?” Hankyung wondered.

          “He’ll be here momentarily,” Shindong promised as they boarded Heechul’s ship.

          Meanwhile, as Heechul and Kangin fought, Heechul noticed the chandelier rope near him, so he kicked Kangin back and slashed at the rope. The large chandelier fell to the ground as Heechul was pulled up to the second story of the tavern. Kangin looked up at him with a frustrated look. “I’ll be seeing ya mate,” Heechul said with a small salute before jumping out of the tavern window, and landing on some haystacks.

          Heechul stood up and ran down to the docks, screaming to Shindong, pull the anchor up! Get the ship away from the dock!”

          Shindong listened to Heechul’s instructions and yelled “You men get the sails ready, hoist the anchor!” The new crew scurried around to do. Kyuhyun moved to pull the loading plank up into the ship, before Shindong stopped him. “Leave the plank where it lie!”

          Kyuhyun looked at him confused, but did as he was told, before they looked and spotted Heechul rushing down the cobbled stone road. The captain ran as fast as he could before leaping onto the loading plank of the Gulliver. “Now you may pull the plank in,” Shindong said.

          Yesung and Siwon stepped over to help Kyuhyun pull the plank, along with the captain into the boat. “Heechul, the map, you burned it. Now how are we going to find the city?” Shindong asked as Heechul stood up.

          “Not to worry, I’m sure Leeteuk has a map very similar to mine, and we don’t want Kangin running off to find the treasure before we do, now don’t we?” Heechul replied before taking his place at the wheel.

          “Um, Captain Heechul, where exactly are we going?” Ryeowook wondered.

          “Lads, have any of you ever heard of a place called Atlantis?” Heechul inquired.