Adult Ceremony

Adult Ceremony

 

Walking in the coldness of the streets of Seoul as she checked onto her phone for the second time, a tall girl who had this long straight hair came onto the picture as she dug deep inside her coat’s pocket for the needed warmth. Since New Year’s celebration just ended, school resumes like usual and she now finds herself going in hurry to meet her friends who decided to summon her in the early stages of that glorious Saturday morning.

 

Reaching the corner of the road, she then stopped walking, wondering where their meeting place was since she rarely go out of the realm of her dorm unit.

 

“Sooyoung ah”

 

To her surprise, a voice was heard behind her back. She then turned and looked at who it was to see her friend that was also in the comfort of the same large coat.

 

“Chanmi ah, good timing as always. I was beginning to wonder where that café is”

 

Smiling albeit weakly, the other pointed somewhere along the other side of the street.

 

“It’s there. Anyway, let’s get going, Hayoung ah had been waiting for us”

 

Nodding as they began to walk side by side, it was when one of the giant baby asked what had been running on her mind.

 

“That aside, why are we called here again?”

 

Laughing as it was the exact question she wanted to ask as well, the other shrugged while they clueless-ly made their way.

 

******
 

“Guys, here~”

 

Waving an enthusiastic hand at the girls who just got inside the cozy café, a tall girl in her black uniform called for their attention as the said individuals approached her.

 

From the usual morning greetings, they were soon handed the menu by a lady in her brown colored uniform, her name tag read “IRENE”.

 

“Thanks sunbae~”

 

Hayoung said with a smile, it was none other than the known campus crush on their sister university.

 

And while they casually started their talk in light chatters, the conversation was suddenly halted when someone declared something out of the ordinary.

 

“Say what again? I don’t think I caught her sentence just right”

 

A girl, having this “let me go home” expression on her face, asked her seatmate, nudging her in the process.

 

“Hayoung ah you must be crazy. The dorm master will kill us if she ever finds out”

 

The girl having this full bangs stated, crossing her arms as she folded them in a disapproving x pattern.

 

“Oh come on! We just turned 19 this year! What’s so wrong about clubbing to commemorate our adulthood?”

 

The enthusiastic giant, who had, in her friends’ words, “crazily” suggested they go onto the nearest club for a night to commence their coming of age, or in her own terms, to have their adult ceremony.

 

Of course, being the uninterested and quite diligent girl she is, Joy, a fellow 1996 liner who was her school mate was being dragged on the mess against her will. On the other hand, Chanmi, who was an elementary friend of the same age, was kinda tagged along naturally since the 3 are friends and dorm mates at the same time too.

 

“Just one night won’t kill. I’ll take care of Gyuri unnie for us”

 

Hayoung then said, trying to convince the two home buddies, hoping that saying that she will take care of the scary dorm lady will ease their worries.

 

“Just…I don’t know ok? I’d never trust those kinds of places…”

 

The former girl who had a face that seemed to distrust the human race stated, strongly disapproving of the whole idea.

 

“Besides, I think Joy doesn’t want to be caught dead by Tiffany unnie because she disobeyed her curfew”

 

Chanmi, who suddenly felt chills at the memory of her friend’s strict auntie, shivered at the thought.

 

“But guys…come on~ A good senior from my club lend me a VIP pass…We can have our own room if you want”

 

At the idea that she might not stand a chance, the tall girl showed a shiny golden card, something she got without a hard fight and lots of black mailing if she might add.

 

Pondering since the other seldom ask for such, especially to a senior they knew very well, the two girls gave a sympathetic look, torn between going and disobey the rules, against not going and be the good girls they were known for.

 

“I don’t really know Hayoung ah…”

 

Joy then trailed off in guilt. She hates breaking regulations and she’s not really that interested after all.

 

“Just so you know, I’m only coming if the two of you will go”

 

Chanmi then announced since the other looked at her with expectant eyes.

 

It was when the unbelievably childish girl was sulking that someone showed up, having eaves dropped all along.

 

“If it’s Fany unnie you’re worried about, I can take care of her for you. Just tell her you’d stay at my place for the night. As for Chanmi, I’m sure that Jimin ah wouldn’t mind. Maybe she’d even encourage you to go”

 

The listening senior suddenly suggested, having Hayoung’s spirits lift up from the dead.

 

“REALLY?! Oh thank you so much Irene sunbae! Now you two must go with me now!”

 

Said the Oh maknae, making both girls face palmed at the older one who was just trying to help out.
 

Pulling her supposedly close senior in a corner as she hissed at her, Joy sulked.

 

“Why did you have to say something like that unnie? Now we really have to go…”

“Why not? I see no harm. Just think of it as going to karaoke. Coming of age comes once in our lifetime so give it a shot. You may never know, it’s the chance you are looking for”

“Chance at what?”

 

While Irene reasoned, she patted her dongsaeng’s head as the other pouted at her, disinterested as she is while she scoffed.

 

“That, my dearest…you have to find out”

 

Winking at the lass as she showed a playful smirk to pair, she soon left the trio since her break was finished.

 

Looking at the leaving image of her unnie, the girl with loads of aegyo felt dizzy all of a sudden, making her look at the duo who shows opposite expression on their faces.

 

At this, Sooyoung then shook her head, having seen the sparkling eyes of her dear friend. She had seen that look of Hayoung and it could only mean nothing but trouble. And while she dreaded the activities to follow, Chanmi’s passive face made her feel that it will be one hell of a night for all of them.

 

“Great…Just great…”

 

******
 

Happily stepping out of the a black sports car as the black haired girl drove her cousin along the way, she then smirked at her younger girl who finally grew up, having been the proud mother to her as she escorted her on the club she sometimes go by when she has free time.

 

“But really now…I don’t feel comfortable with this unnie…it feels…so lady like…”

 

Joy, being held by the hand by her Seungwan oppa unnie, spoke her distaste for the choice of clothing which was a long and black dress that has this side slits all the way up to her thighs that was paired with high heels. The older one actually sponsored the traditional “coming of age outfit” that was popularized by a song in their country.

 

“Nonsense! You rock it more than Girl’s Day would! Must be something~!”

 

Singing to a tune of a popular y song that seems to resemble the attire, the taller girl gave a hard smack at the weird girl she actually called her unnie.

 

“But really, you look beautiful tonight Joy. You make me proud”

 

Blushing at the unusual compliment, they shared a little teasing moment until someone texted the giant. It was none other than her friends, telling her to meet them inside.

 

“Aww…my baby’s all grown up now~ be sure to take a selca ok? Phone me right away if some uncles try to do something fishy on any one of you. I know a few with black belts on karate”

 

Reminding her last, Seungwan helped her until the entrance of the club.

 

“Yes Wendy unnie I will, you’ve told me that countless of times already”

 

Nodding as she let go of the arms of the older girl, Joy then made her way as she waved a hand at the shorter one.

 

Going in as the security allowed her to enter, she finally got inside. To her surprise, it was a classy looking place and the people who came are often business personalities or some of high social status.

 

“Aish that girl…why didn’t she tell me earlier…”

 

She almost cursed at the sight, there was even a stage at the center and it made her feel like it was for some performance of the like.

 

In actuality, her image of the so called clubbing involved dizzy lighting atmosphere, heart pounding music blasting through sub woofer systems and the alcohol filled aroma that is topped with crazy dancing, not this fancy looking place that is illuminated by romantic lights and the smell of aphrodisiac perfume with jazzy music and some suited as well as dressed ladies and gentlemen dancing to slow dances.

 

Having seen the outrageous difference, she then sighed. Now she understood the need for the outfit. Her cousin must be one rich girl to afford such, she then realized.

 

“And where are those two when you need them…”

 

Scanning the place to find the missing companions, it was when she was walking aimlessly that she had bumped to another person.

 

*Thud*

 

Spilling the red drink at the white (of all the possible color) tuxedo, it was then when Joy felt like her heart was about to go out of her chest. That piece of clothing must have cost a fortune and now she ruins it in less than 3 seconds with her clumsiness.

 

“Oh my god sir I’m really sorry!”

 

She then bowed, panic filled her eyes when the man glared at her menacingly.

 

“Young lady…do you know how much this cost? Not to mention how hard it is to find?”

 

The neatly dressed guy then said, hissing dangerously closer to her as he darted her with his piercing glares.

 

“I-I’m very sorry…”

 

She then trailed off in nervousness, having seen how the older one was now eyeing on her body.

 

“Even if you work your off, I doubt you’d be able to pay it...so how about this oppa settles for a nice deal instead?”

 

He then said, definitely thinking of inappropriate things with how he eyes her every curves. Having asserted himself since the other was too shocked to move, he held the younger one in her shoulders as he slowly leaned in.

 

“No!”

 

When she was about to do something drastic to get away from the erted being, blue color stained the white material and gasped were made. One from the guy, and the other was from Joy herself.

 

“Opps~ Sorry Mr. Min, my hand slipped”

 

Seeing how a chic looking girl trailed behind them, she then entered the scene with her black suit and pony tailed hair.

 

“Sorry to you too”

 

She then took out a small handkerchief and handed it to the taller girl who was also spilled a little because of the incident. Blinking at the fast happening, the unknown stranger then smiled at Joy with her pair of smiley eyes that kinda resembles a cuddly animal.

 

At this, the younger girl felt like something inside of her began to go wild as soft thumps begins to invade her heart, holding onto the fabric as she was too stunned to move a single muscle.

 

“M-Ms. Kang…s-surprise to see you here”

 

The man suddenly stuttered, identifying the girl as the daughter of the owner of the club they are in.

 

“I drop by sometimes. I’m really sorry about the clothes. How much do I have to pay?”

 

The chic looking girl then asked, standing in front of the other lady in a handsome and manly way.

 

“I-It’s ok. It’s not that much anyway…you don’t have to pay for it…”

 

The older one then shrug it off, quickly dismissing the apology as he cleaned himself. No one dares to mess with the KANG in the business world if one would still want to live.

 

“Really? Thank you for your kindness then”

 

Smiling as she bowed a little, she then faced the shocked girl.

 

“You heard him right? You don’t have to worry anymore”

 

The eye smiling savior said, having this single eyelid that deemed very attractive.

 

“Anyway, we ought to get going. I promised my friend I’d look after her sister after all”

 

Ushering them both before anyone could retaliate, the two girls left the scene with the cool lady holding onto the very surprised Joy, gently holding her in the shoulders as she guided them both because the younger girl was still in the state of shock with what just happened.

 

******
 

“T-Thank you very much…”

 

Handing her a cold drink to somehow ease her nerves, the kind girl who just became her savior smiled at Joy’s innocent gratitude, having seen how terrified she was from the place she was at.

 

“Are you ok now? You must have been traumatized for life. Sorry you had to bump onto him of all people”

 

Apologizing on his behalf, the kind CEO daughter just laughed the idea off.

 

“I-It’s ok…it was actually my first time coming to such place so I got scared…”

 

Honestly speaking of the truth, the younger one finally managed to show a small smile.

 

“Ah! So you were Seungwan’s cousin? No wonder she kept telling me to look out for some black dressed girl”

 

Eyes widening in shock, the tall girl looked at her knight in confusion.

 

“You know Wendy unnie?”

 

Nodding at the inquiry, the known teddy bear smiled.

 

“A regular and well known customer she is. She’d been my high school buddy too”

 

She then disclosed.

 

“Anyway, if I’m not mistaken, you’re friends are settled in already. My secretary told me that a room was reserved for girls who were going to celebrate coming of age today. You’re one of them right?”

 

Feeling light at how adorable the older girl was as she spoke, Joy got lost for a moment at the other’s cuteness.

 

“Y-Yes…”

 

Fortunately, she was able to reply even though she didn’t understood half of the sentence.

 

“Then go~ I’m sure they are pretty worried”

 

Nodding at the words, an outstretched hand made her wide eye once more as she was getting prepared to leave.

 

“Let me at least you there. It’s proven dangerous to have you walk on your own after all”

 

Smiling widely at the words she heard, she didn’t think twice as she cling onto the arms of the older girl, as if it was the most natural thing to do.

 

Though she was taken aback at the sudden closeness, the other managed to shake her stiffness off as she decided to loosen her nerves a bit.

 

“By the way, the name’s Kang Seulgi”

 

The older one introduced to divert her attention. That and she wanted to know the girl’s name.

 

“Park...Sooyoung…sometime’s I’m called Joy too”

 

The younger girl replied in all shyness.

 

“Joy. It’s a very nice name. I like it”

 

Smiling again, the taller girl felt something crawling from within her, staying at her cheeks most probably as the warm sensation lingered there.

 

“T-Thanks…Seulgi shii…”

 

Laughing with such unrefined but oh so lovable of a laughter (at least to Joy it is), the bear felt way too proper with the use of such honorifics.

 

“Why so formal? You can drop the shii. I’m sure unnie will sound better”

 

She then stated in between giggles.

 

Nodding in timid reply, the younger girl felt like she could faint any moment because of the excessive cuteness emitting from someone who is suppose to be older.

 

“Anyway, here we are! Go and have fun~”

 

Patting her shoulders last as she held the door open for her, the words spoken by the older girl echoed on Joy as she expressed her gratitude once more.

 

“Thanks a lot unnie. I’ll remember this day for the rest of my life”

 

She then said.

 

“Have a great night ok? This is the beginning of adulthood for you so spend this time well”

 

Smiling at her once again, the younger one replied a sweet one of her own.

 

“I hope to see you again after the night ends unnie”

 

Letting herself feel something she was not even suppose to feel, it was then she finally understood a piece of the adulthood she was about to enter in this new stage of her life.

 

And, in that encounter she had deemed to be fated, her first attempt at romance had let her experience the feeling of what falling in love might seems like.

 

She then hoped for favorable future as she entered the room with a wide smile on her face.

 

******
 

“And that’s how we came to be where we are now”

 

Hearing ear breaking squeals erupting out of nowhere, a group of huddled girls were chattering about their friend’s love life in full enthusiasm as the topic of the discussion disclosed her story, making the listeners to no end when she finished her tale.

 

“That’s just so romantic Chanmi! First you two were just random strangers who crossed paths, the she offered you a dance and then boom! I knew that club is for the romance seekers!”

 

Ogling about at how the two girls ended up dating each other a few months after that night, the group of girls were ecstatic at the happening while the one sole individual had this far away gaze, uninterested in her friend’s love life.

 

“Yah! Park Sooyoung, are you with us?”

 

Nudging at the un-listening girl, Hayoung gave her a skeptical look.

 

“H-Huh? Y-yeah. Seolhyun unnie right? Congratulations to you Chanmi ah”

 

Giving off a mono tone voice as she tried to join in the conversation, the girl she just congratulated gave her a worried look.

 

“Sooyoung ah…”

 

Landing a soft pat on her shoulders, she wasn’t able to hide her disappointment at how her own love life went.

 

It was actually that same day where she thought she met the love of her life just to know that the older girl was going away to study business management. Though she was hopeful that they could somehow work out at first, their lack of communication had prevented them from progressing further and she just had known the whole truth because she pestered her Wendy unnie about it.

 

“Urgh! I feel stupid…”

 

She then said, burying her face onto her palms as she fight the urge to cry in front of everybody.

 

Caressing her back lightly, Hayoung and Chanmi took turns in comforting the young girl. Coming to her side, her Irene unnie gave her a hug.

 

“Thank you guys…And I’m sorry for sulking”

 

Joy then said in soft, muffled sobs.

 

“It’s alright Sooyoung ah, that’s what we’re here for”

 

Smiling altogether in reply, it was then when their resident ice breaker finally came to break the mood.

 

“Hey guys I brought chicken! Wait…Did I miss something?”

 

Seeing how everyone was looking at the dark skinned girl and her impeccable timing, the other girls laughed at her clueless face.

 

“It’s nothing Seolhyun ah, nice timing by the way”

 

It was their new friend YooYoung to answer the girl’s question.

 

“W-What? You guys are being suspicious”

 

Replied the dubious girl.

 

“Well, if it makes you feel better, then we just interrogated Chanmi on how she ends up saying yes to your confession”

 

It was Kei’s voice that gave way to tease the same age friend.

 

“Y-Yah! No fair!”

 

And while they ended up in bickers and laughter’s, the melancholic girl by the sidelines felt her hands were being held by her 96-line friends.

 

“I’d be fine guys. Thanks for worrying”

“I’m sure Seulgi unnie still loves you…please believe in her…wait for her”

“I do…you know I still do”

 

******
 

Surely after some time had passed, Joy is now on her college years and is now taking up business management. Since she had shown interest in running a small cafeteria on her own, her rich cousin who doted much on her decided to enroll her on a prestigious school in United States.

 

It was when she was walking aimlessly that she passed by a luxurious night club.

 

“This brings back memories…”

 

She then said, a fragment of the past came onto her along with a sweet smile that she had missed dearly.

 

Because she began to feel nostalgic, she decided to enter the club in the end. She then skipped to the entrance without much thought, she was not the first-timer she was back then and she could take care of herself now should anything goes wrong once again.

 

To her surprise, the moment she entered, the familiar interior welcomed her eyes, having seen the design similar to the one she knew too well.

 

So much for coincidence, she then thought.

 

And as she was aimlessly walking, an intro entered her ears. Hearing the first few notes of the song that seems as familiar, she then recognized it to be the famous “Sung in Shik (adult ceremony)” by Park Jiyoon, being played in all glory of its Korean melody.

 

Hey you, what are you hesitating about? You want it, right?
I know what you want, I'm standing in front of you.
I know what you're waiting for. Hey you, come here.

 

Laughing as the lyrics struck onto her mind, it was then when she bumped onto a tall someone, having cursed freely just because she could do so now without restrictions.


I too, am not the little girl you thought I was.
Now I've become a woman.
I'm thankful to you for waiting.
Now I'm a woman that can match your kiss.

 

When she lifted her gaze to meet the stranger, the sight of a black suit filled her sight that was followed by a wave of flowing hair, carefully tied in high pony tail.


I'm not a girl anymore, don't hesitate anymore.
As much as you've waited, I've waited for today too.
Give me twenty roses, so that I can feel your love.
As I wait for you, I now close my eyes.

 

While the music decorated their meeting in a sensual manner, both were pretty shocked to see one another, standing just a few inches apart.


Hey you, will you accept me? Your love that looked towards me so so sweet.
Will you teach what they call fragrance.

 

It was then when the other girl heaved a sigh, as if wanting to wake up from a dream, or hallucination, or whatever it is she’s currently experiencing.


You were always having a hard time.
You always covered yourself up and my heart hurt as I watched.
But now the day has come when there aren't any more reasons for you to cover yourself up from me.

 

Coming in closer as if portraying the lyrics that just reflected their situation in a stunning similarity, the younger girl took a step closer.

 

Waiting for the music to stop, the wandering spot lights illuminated them and suddenly, it felt like they were on their own drama.

 

“Is it really you? Joy ah?”

 

The older girl asked, having seen the face that undeniably haunted her on her sleepless nights.

 

“Yes it is me unnie…it is…”

 

Running a hand on the soft cheeks that had decreased in baby fats that were once covering it, Seulgi felt something watery starts to cloud her vision.

 

It had been such a long time and she knew that she had truly missed the younger girl.

 

“I…Sooyoung ah…”

 

Like how she didn’t want to accept the reality that she had fallen in love that time, and to some girl who had just come of age never the less, the older girl knew to herself that she had to leave the younger girl back then, no matter how much she was tempted on disobeying her parents will.

 

She didn’t want to make the girl wait should things comes to worst so she ended things before the situation break loose, knowing that if it’s destined, then they would find each other once again.

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

Is all that she could say, since she was sure that tears will soon fall from her eyes that she just had to avert her gaze.

 

“No unnie…don’t be”

 

Joy said, holding onto the face of the older girl whom she missed, misses and still missing dearly.

 

“I’m sorry…I know I’d been such a coward but please believe me…I meant the words I told you back then”

 

Shaking her head since she didn’t want to hear anymore of the sad story, the younger girl placed her finger on the other’s lips, slowly inching closer. Nothing matters anymore.

 

“Stop…unnie…let’s just leave the past behind us…”

 

She then said in soft sobs. All the sadness is now being replaced by mixed happiness.

 

“I never doubted your love for me…and I waited for you…”

 

Feeling like breaking loose at the surge of emotions, the older girl hugged the other in a tight embrace. This time, she wanted to claim what’s hers. And she wanted to follow her heart’s desire.

 

“Then I’m taking you back…I want to make things right again…”

 

Nodding as she reciprocated the embrace, Joy rested her head on Seulgi’s shoulders.

 

“Park Sooyoung…Joy, will be my girlfriend again?”

 

Kneeling without giving much thought to it, the older girl asked as the spot light illuminated her in a dramatic coincidence.

 

Gathering as it was the first to actually see a girl confessing in such manner, all eyes turned to hear the answer of the taller girl even though they didn’t understood the entire conversation since it was spoken on Korean language. It was of human nature that drives them to eaves drop at the conversation anyway.

 

“Y-Yes unnie...I will”

 

Standing up so that she could kiss the younger one on her forehead, it was then when the other pulled at her neck tie and smash their lips in a tight kiss.

 

“I’m not a girl anymore, now I'm a woman that can match your kiss…unnie

 

Smirking at the job well done, it leaves the older girl breathless, having experience firsthand the rough side of the girl who undoubtedly, now the grown-up person she claimed herself to be.

 

“Then, should we take things further more? I think I wasn’t able to commemorate your coming of age back then”

 

Said Seulgi in light tease, her thoughts being clouded by the loud cheers of the people who were shouting for the reunited couple.

 

“Should we then? I haven’t received your adult ceremony on me”

 

Laughing at the exact thoughts entering their mind, the older one extended her hand in a prince-like manner as her black suit made her look like a handsome guy while the other took the hand as she flaunt her black gown that held a careful embrace at her curvaceous body like a princess shining in the dim light night.

 

“I love you Sooyoung ah…and I’m never leaving you again”

 

Kissing her bear’s cheeks, the younger girl smiled.

 

“I love you too Seulgi unnie…so so much”

 

Patting the other’s head, they soon linked arms just like the old days.

 

“But really…you’re still so cute”

“You’re the one who have this addictive laugh”

“Haha, then do your 3 set aegyo for me tonight?”

 

And with them chatting away, they soon left the club and on to somewhere who knows.

 

Meanwhile…

 

“Wendy ah, it’s freezing cold here, what are we still doing outside this club? I thought were fetching Joy?”

 

Nudging at the silent girl, the other just shook her head as she closed her opened mouth.

 

“I know right? But I guess that won’t be necessary anymore…”

 

Looking at her girlfriend weirdly, Irene tilted her head in confusion.

 

“There, look at that. I thought it was suspicious when I first saw the name of the place she went to”

 

Seeing how a big “Joy” illuminated the night club’s name, followed by a bear doodle as its logo, the older girl just laughed.

 

“That stupid bear is still madly in love to our maknae I guess. And here I thought she was gone off the face of the earth. I’m so going to kill her after tonight”

 

Trying to ease the mumbling of the younger girl who was talking like a mad person, her older lover just shoved them to the waiting car, having realized that if the club was owned by Seulgi, then it’s most likely that the two got reunited once again.

 

- THE END -

 

 

AN: And there it was~ sorry guys if it's lame and contains lots of errors and typos, kinda rushed the ending somehow. Anyway, I'll try to be the bringer of JoyGi ficdom so expect more of me to come! ^_^ Hwaiting to JoyGi and to ChicBears (please give us shippers a name TT_TT) .

Oh! By the way, mentions of girl group idols is a common trait of mine so be ready to see familiar names from here on~! Here I actually included Girl's Day, AOA, APINK, SNSD, Lovelyz and Hello Venus (that's all right? anyway). 

So, until my next appearance~ Jya neh! ^^;