Man in White

Just a Child

------------------------------ Man in White
Donghyun as a Doctor
Minwoo as a Patient
Universe 2
warning(s): inaccurate medical knowledge, some ual language.

 

“How's he?” A young girl jumped up, hurrying towards the man in white.

“You're...” The said man raised his eyebrow and then looked at his documents against his clipboard. “His sister?”

“His sister.” She nodded, and had a light tone.

“You don't seem very affected by your brother being admitted into the hospital.” The guy replied amusedly.

The young girl narrowed her eyes and searched the man's clothes for- ah, there it was. “Dr. Kim Donghyun, I'm not sure if you treat me like a kid, or that you treat me like an idiot, but anyone who lived long enough knows that vomiting and diarrhoea wouldn't kill you. He won't die, not yet.”

“Now you sound like some sadistic younger sister.” Donghyun shrugged, leading the girl to the side of the hallway to avoid doctors who were rushing to another place. “Patient No Minwoo is fine. Food poisoning, and it's not a serious case. We want to avoid pumping his stomach so he's left with some anti-diarrhoea medication and we dropped some headache pills for him to feel drowsy-”

“Are you sure doctors can give whatever medicines they want?” The girl cut in, folding her arms. “He didn't say he had a headache.”

“Our sleeping pills are strong around here. No need to knock him out, yeah?” Donghyun smiled softly. “Relax, I'm not about to kill your brother. He's inside but he seems to be easing into sleep, so if you want to go in...”

“I'm fine.”

“And I'm not sure if it's just me but you look awfully familiar.” Donghyun concluded, then letting his arm fall. “Although my memory is getting worse by the day...”

“You know, if you want to hit on me, you don't have to use a cliche pick-up line.” The young girl laughed, and Donghyun chuckled slightly, tilting his head as if to ask why. “I would go out on a date with a doctor any day.”

“That's too bad, because I'm not into young girls.” Donghyun smiled. “I honestly feel like I've seen you before though.”

“That's not possible if you're from the city. My brother and I came up to visit a distant relative during my holidays. We're not from around here.” The girl said, while Donghyun gestured at the seats. She plopped herself down, then continuing. “We're both big enough though, so they just offered us a place to stay and let us travel. We decided to leave our belongings there and do a mini-Seoul tour, and this is day 2 but my weak brother decided to fall sick.”

“That's...unfortunate.”

“Oh yeah, people say I look like my mother too. Exact replica. Too bad she's not like drop dead gorgeous. Maybe most of the good genes went to my brother. He did have a lot of fans...” The girl continued talking, and Donghyun wondered what to do with how straightforward this young girl was. “Did. Until they realised he stopped growing.”

Donghyun paused, reaching for his clipboard containing the patient's information. Searching for the height profile, he smiled. “171cm.”

“171? He always told me he's 175! Oh well, I have hospital verified information to with now.” The girl shrugged. “Anyway, nice talking to you, Mr Man-In-White. It'd be nicer if you offered to take me out and have dinner in a classy restaurant, but we know that's not possible.”

“You're not staying with your brother?”

“And miss out on the city? No way. I'm not sure if you're from the city, but I've only seen the city a few times and a wimpy brother isn't going to stop me.” She smiled, jumping up on her feet. “Besides, I've got your name and he's probably in the safest hands in a big hospital like this. Just tell him when he wakes up that I'm finally tasting freedom. I'll visit him if I don't forget.”

Watching the girl skip off, Donghyun laughed and his heels. Time to get back to-

“So they were my old neighbours.”

-

“Doctor! Dr Kim Donghyun! Doctor!” A nurse hurried to the said doctor, calling out his full name probably because of the large population of Dr Kim. “Your patient is in a state of panic!”

“Please calm down.” Donghyun frowned, gathering his coat in his arms as he followed the nurse. “The patient's name?”

“No Minwoo. Admitted this morning.” She swallowed, taking in deep breaths. “Sorry.”

“No Minwoo?” Donghyun frowned. He had no problems except for an upset stomach. Nothing to panic about. Tentatively holding onto the insides of his coat, he threw it back and adjusted it as he wore it. “His information, please.”

The nurse passed the board she was carrying to the doctor, then hurrying ahead to check the current situation. Donghyun followed soon after with a brief read of Minwoo's information, seeing three nurses at a loss of what to do with Minwoo backed up against the head of his bed, looking around with widened eyes.

“Who was the first one here?” Donghyun turned sharply to the two nurses, watching one raise her hand timidly. “Recount.”

“He woke up mildly. And then he was looking around for something frantically, but his IV drip came out and so I wanted to-”

“Thanks.” Donghyun nodded, passing the board in his hand to the nearest nurse before approaching Minwoo slowly. The patient watched him and pressed himself further back. Donghyun then raised both his hands, taking out the things in his pocket. “I have no needles.”

Minwoo paused, tension slightly easing.

“You're in the hospital. You had food poisoning. Your sister is fine. She went to tour the city without you.” Donghyun said, and with every sentence, he stepped a little closer.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Minwoo slowly turned to look at the first nurse he came in contact with. And then the other two.

“All right, all nurses out. I've got this.” Donghyun frowned slightly, watching Minwoo cautiously watch their steps. “Other than your fear of needles, is there anything else I need to know?”

“I'm not very fond of nurses.” Minwoo coughed out, face glowing bright pink.

“How about doctors?” Donghyun smiled softly.

Minwoo turned to look at the doctor, blushing into a more intense red when he realised their proximity. Donghyun had sat on his bed and leaned forward, waiting.

“I've only met old doctors before.” Minwoo squeaked, fidgeting slightly.

“What if I was your old neighbour?” Donghyun asked, watching the younger widen his eyes again. “Does Kim Donghyun ring a bell?”

“Kim Donghyun...Kim Donghyun...” Minwoo repeated, frowning slightly.

“Of course, you were a lot cuter back then. Maybe Donghyun-hyung?” Donghyun chuckled, watching the younger take up the offer, repeating the less formal form of his name. Minwoo blinked, then stared at the doctor. “Donghyun-hyung?”

“Yes, Minwoo?”

“You're...a doctor?” Minwoo blushed again, just when the redness in his cheeks disappeared.

“Apparently.” Donghyun then stood up, carrying the lighter boy and placing him in a more comfortable position. He purposely ignored the sharp squeal, propping up the pillow against the head of the bed. “All right, Minwoo, how are you feeling?”

“Fine...?” Minwoo bit his lower lip, hesitant.

“Are you hungry, light-headed or anything?” Donghyun asked the same few questions he routinely did, filling in a piece of paper from Minwoo's bedside. It was a nurse's job, but Minwoo didn't seem at ease enough to speak to one. “Right. So you really don't need anything?”

“Maybe a cup of water?” Minwoo smiled hesitantly, wondering if he was imposing on Donghyun's kindness.

Donghyun smiled back, nodding. “I'll get you a cup. And right, your sister said she's tasting freedom. She'd visit if she remembers to.”

“Brat.” Minwoo said flatly, then blinking when he realised his sharp tone. “S-Sorry.”

“It's fine. The hospital is for you to feel better, so make yourself comfortable.” Donghyun shrugged. “I can discharge you tomorrow the earliest. We need to monitor your body response to food first, but the next meal's dinner so you're staying overnight. If it doesn't stabilise by tomorrow, I might need to keep you a day or two longer.”

“The cost of my stay...?” Minwoo asked meekly, remembering how they had to scrimp and save because things were more expensive in the city. A night stay at a hospital- “You can put me in the public ward!”

“I could. But I'd rather keep you here.” Donghyun smiled, pinching Minwoo's cheek lightly. “I'm sorry, but it's my rule to let patients with diarrhoea and or vomiting to have their own toilet. I could pay for your bill first, and you can repay me slowly. For now, just focus on-”

“I promise not to go to the toilet! The public-” Minwoo cut in, face showing a small frown.

“You were a lot more obedient when you were younger.” Donghyun sighed, staring as Minwoo shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. “If you could resist going to the toilet, your sister wouldn't have sent you here. Now, tell me what's the problem.”

“The cost...”

“But I said I could pay for it first.”

“But we're...strangers.”

Donghyun drew himself back, raising an eyebrow. “Right, so much for playing friendly. I'd send a nurse for your cup and I'm going to have you take some headache pills after dinner. You're to sleep right after and we'll talk again tomorrow.”

Minwoo bit his lower lip, watching the doctor rearrange a few things he knocked over during his panic state earlier. The man in white then clipped the piece of paper he filled in to Minwoo's existing information board, leaving without another word.

Minwoo remembered backing himself against the bed when his cup finally arrived.

-

“Did I piss you off?” Minwoo managed a tiny voice when Donghyun finally came by in the morning.

“I'd say no because doctors are magnanimous creatures, but yes.” Donghyun replied sharply. “A nurse said you had three runs into the toilet this morning.”

“How did she know?” Minwoo squeaked, looking around for cameras. Was someone looking at him while he made a mess in the toilet?

“My secret. Relax, there's no cameras.” Donghyun shook his head, reviewing a few questions he did yesterday. “And I know that IV drip is bothering the hell out of you but keep it there. If you take it out again, I'm going have to stick it in you while you're conscious. I cannot prescribe anymore headache pills for you.”

“I don't have a headache...” Minwoo stated quietly, knocking his head to see if the doctor just happened to know his body better.

“You don't. That's why I can't prescribe anymore. I can only insert your IV drip while you're sleeping or you'd struggle, yes?” Donghyun sighed, watching the younger stare hard at his own arm. The catheter was there as promised, and Minwoo squeaked when he realised. “As I said, stop taking it out. I'd stick it in if it means having to pin you down.”

Donghyun blinked, watching red creep up the younger's cheek. “I'm not sure about this, but do you have any medical problem that causes your cheeks to turn red?”

“N-No!” Minwoo shook his head quickly, hands against his cheeks. He cursed when he realised they were warmer against his hands, yelling at himself internally to stop thinking of stupid things. “Stupid puberty...”

“What was that?” Donghyun raised his head, pausing from his scribbles. “Stupid what?”

“N-Nothing.” Minwoo took in a deep breath, managing to match Donghyun's eyes. “S-So when can I leave?”

“Never.” Donghyun smirked, inching towards his patient with a cheeky expression. “I'm keeping you here.”

Minwoo squeaked, pressing himself back and realising how futile his efforts were when Donghyun leaned down, face so close that he swore the doctor could hear his pulse even without using the stethoscope.

“You're not well, I'm keeping you for another day.” Donghyun whispered, then pulling back while ruffling Minwoo's hair. “I'll have them monitor you a bit longer. Do you want me to contact your sister?”

“I already did.” Minwoo shook his head, both to Donghyun's offer and to let his messed up hair fall back into its usual look. “She's having too much fun without me to add me into her schedule.”

“I'd think so.” Donghyun shrugged, then checking a few more details. “All right, you'll continue with your soft diet and if you feel unwell, feel free to inform the nurses-”

“Not you?”

“Nah, I'm just a stranger.” Donghyun replied in a nonchalant tone, but Minwoo pouted slightly when he realised the doctor was still a bit hung up on yesterday's event.

“I'm sorry...” Minwoo bit his lower lip and tugged Donghyun's coat. “Donghyun-hyung...?”

“Maybe if you kissed me on my cheek like you used to.” Donghyun grinned, teasing the younger man. He tapped his cheek and inched closer, feeling the younger hold his breath as if to ensure he doesn't breathe against the doctor's face.

A quick peck, and Donghyun raised his eyebrows. He sure didn't expect the younger to be so compliant.

“That was a joke, but I'll take it.” Donghyun chuckled lowly, watching the natural blush that Minwoo always had reappearing. “You can call for me anytime. The least I could repay you for your little gift, yeah?”

Minwoo wanted to kill himself for being so gullible, nodding meekly.

“I'm gonna go check on my other patients, but press that bedside button to call the nurses. I'd tell them to inform me.” Donghyun then finished up his business, heading to the door. With a hand on the knob and another in his pocket, Donghyun turned back with a smirk.

Minwoo would have taken a second to appreciate how nicely the smirk looked against Donghyun's features if he wasn't so scandalised.

“Puberty, yeah? I wouldn't recommend it with a case of diarrhoea, but if you needed to that you're hiding, I'd tell them to stop monitoring you.”

-

“Where's...where's Dr Kim Donghyun?”

“He's taking a break in the office, is there anything I can do to help you?” A nurse smiled kindly, stepping forward.

“No! No, no! It's okay, I'm just...do you think you could tell me where it is...?” Minwoo asked, visibly stepping back.

A nurse that recognised him pulled her colleague back, explaining the situation to her and then directing Minwoo to Donghyun's office. “Straight up ahead, turn right. He's in the office there.”

“Thank you!” Minwoo said brightly, then hugging his soiled clothes. “Do you think you could tell me where the laundry is too?”

“You can pass those to us-”

“No! No, uh, thank you.” Minwoo squeaked, then hurrying on his way to the doctors' office. Donghyun would be more helpful on this.

Minwoo then tried avoiding nurses that kept asking if he needed anything. A few were squealing at how cute he looked in over-sized hospital wear, but that was because they ran out of his size.

Seriously.

Navigating through a few other patients and some busy doctors, Minwoo found himself before an imposing door.

“Can I help you?” The same low voice, and Minwoo resisted shuddering.

“Where's the laundry?” Minwoo asked eagerly, watching Donghyun enter the office with a cup of coffee in hand. The older man held the door open, cocking his head to a side with an unasked question. “Sorry for the intrusion.”

“You can just pass it to the nurses or place it by your bed. Someone would pick it up.” Donghyun said disinterestedly, taking his seat. “I know I said you could call for me whenever, but does asking me about laundry services sound important enough to find me during my break?”

“You sound a lot more annoyed than usual.” Minwoo bit his lower lip, standing awkwardly like he was called to the principal's office for a lecture.

Donghyun sighed, turning his swivel chair and realising his colleagues had gone for their late dinner. He had his earlier since he wasn't scheduled for any operations during dinner time, but he was still worn out from a day's work. “I'm not annoyed. It's just not y enough.”

Minwoo squeaked when two arms s themselves around his waist, pulling his entire body. He landed on Donghyun's lap, a sharp gasp when he felt the older's lips ghost over his ear. “W-What are you doing!”

“You're so squeaky.” Donghyun chuckled, leaning his head against Minwoo's back. “And soft. Ugh, I'm tired like hell.”

Minwoo pressed his lips together, feeling Donghyun's tightened hold around his waist. “Do you like...do this to all your patients?”

“Does it look like my patients will come find me during break time and ask me where their laundry should go?”

“So you're doing this to me because I asked a stupid question?” Minwoo bit his lower lip, trying to tug Donghyun's arm away to give him some breathing space. “Well then, I'm sorry I asked you a stupid question, but I shall go on my way to find the laundry services-”

“No, 'cause you're cute.”

Minwoo blushed and although the lighting was dimmed because Donghyun intended to catch a short nap, the younger man feared the doctor could see his red cheeks. He fidgeted a little more, and Donghyun finally released him.

Jumping up on his feet, he backed away slightly, watching the doctor cautiously. Donghyun laughed, checking the wall clock for the time.

“You were bored, yeah?” Donghyun commented, pulling out his colleague's chair for Minwoo. “I'd assume so if all you have is your phone. There's television in the common area and I can lend you my laptop if you need one. Is that why you tried to find me?”

“I guess I'm bored. And...I also wanted to pass the l-”

“Aha!” Donghyun suddenly exclaimed, clapping his hands together. He reached for the clothes Minwoo has been hugging, watching the younger clutch them tighter. “So you want to deliver it yourself 'cause you jerked off over it.”

Minwoo squeaked and turned bright red, running to the door. He hurriedly turned the knob, pulling on it desperately when he realised he was fighting against Donghyun's stronger push.

“I'm-I'm on my way! I shouldn't have disturbed you-”

“Too late.” Donghyun smirked, pulling Minwoo back with his free hand and then dragging the younger back to his seat. “You're too honest for your own good.”

Minwoo winced when he was pressed down onto Donghyun's chair, watching the older stare at him. He could crumble down from the gaze, but he was fighting his instincts.

“I'm sorry for teasing you.” Donghyun said gently, ruffling his hair again. “Here's my laptop, and I'd bring your laundry to the laundry services without judging.”

Minwoo yelped when the clothes he had been hugging was taken away by the older, and Donghyun left him in the office while he went for the supposed laundry.

Minwoo tried to explain himself three minutes later when a doctor entered and asked him if he was lost.

-

“You should be fine to be discharged tonight.” Donghyun reviewed, looking questioningly at Minwoo who was staring up at him. “Yes?”

“Um...tonight?” Minwoo bit his lower lip. He had stayed two nights already, and if he was all better then he should really leave. “Like, two hours later?”

“Yep. We'll just finish that bag of IV drip and then you're free to go.” Donghyun nodded, smiling. “Need your sister to pick you up?”

“I-I need to go?”

Donghyun blinked, a frown appearing.

“Your diarrhoea ended last night.”

“Y-Yes.”

“You stopped vomiting this morning.”

“I-I guess.”

“I asked for some solid food for your lunch.”

“Uh-huh.”

“You're feeling fine.”

“That...”

“You're all ready to be discharged.” Donghyun raised an eyebrow, looking through Minwoo's profile as if he missed something. “Weren't you the one talking about hospital fees and public wards?”

“Y-You think I can stay another night?” Minwoo stuttered, avoiding Donghyun's piercing stare. “And maybe you can pay for it first...”

“Are you unwell?” Donghyun reached for the younger's forehead, finding the temperature normal. His face wasn't as pale as the day before, and he definitely had no problem finishing lunch.

“I...I think.”

Donghyun frowned subtly but nodded. “Another night then. As usual, call me if you need me.”

He watched Donghyun leave his room, dimming the lights while exiting. Minwoo clutched his chest, biting down on his lower lip nervously.

Could he tell?

-

“Want to have lunch with me?” Donghyun offered, leaning against Minwoo's bed as the younger read some news on his laptop after sending an e-mail. The younger then searched odd things like rental of house and jobs for high school graduates.

“Yeah, give me a minute.” Minwoo nodded distractedly, leaving the older man to pout slightly.

“I'm the busy person here.” Donghyun poked Minwoo's cheeks and watched the younger concentrate on the screen. “I'm going.”

“A minute!” Minwoo squeaked, while Donghyun already reached the door.

“I have an operation an hour later, every minute's precious, sweetie.”

Minwoo hurriedly pressed down the laptop lid, slipping into the hospital slippers and then hurrying after the impatient doctor.

“A second!”

-

Minwoo looked around meekly, deciding concentrating on his food was a better choice.

“You look bothered.” Donghyun chuckled.

“Are you not?” Minwoo pouted, rolling the beans in his plate around. “Why are there so many people looking at us?”

“If you consider yourself cute and the doctor in front of you attractive, you'd probably come to the correct conclusion.” Donghyun smiled, pointing at the beans Minwoo were playing with with his chopsticks. “Eat your greens.”

“So you're always stared at during meals?” Minwoo asked, sweeping the beans into his spoon.

“Well, you're a patient and I'm a doctor. It's probably a rare sight too.” Donghyun shrugged. “Doesn't matter. They won't bite.”

Minwoo sighed, taking in his spoonful of food and then chewing slowly. He blinked when Donghyun placed a piece of meat on his spoon, smiling softly.

Blushing, he guided the food into his mouth with the spoon, then chewing. He tried not to look at the doctor who was staring at him eat.

-

“Anyway, if you're well now then you can go through the procedures yourself and get yourself discharged-”

“I feel like vomiting.” Minwoo coughed, covering his mouth hurriedly.

Donghyun frowned, pointing at the washroom attached to Minwoo's ward. He followed after the patient, watching the man bend over by the toilet bowl.

Minwoo grabbed the sides of the toilet bowl and made some false alarms for a while, hand slowly going up to his throat and face.

“Is nothing coming out?” Donghyun frowned, and thought he saw the younger flinched.

With a finger into his mouth, Minwoo almost managed to trigger his gag reflex when Donghyun grabbed and pinned him against the wall.

“The hell you think you're doing in front of a doctor.” Donghyun hissed, pressing on the side of Minwoo's cheeks to open his mouth by force. Blindly grabbing a small torch from his pocket, Donghyun shone the insides of Minwoo's mouth and sighed when he was done. “You're not sick, are you?”

Minwoo pressed his lips together, eyes avoiding. Donghyun kept his torch and placed some distance between them both, watching Minwoo trying to subtly cross his legs.

Huh?

“Anyway, don't you dare induce vomit before me. I deal with enough bulimia cases around here and I don't need anymore.” Donghyun warned sternly. Minwoo's head still hung low, as if expressing remorse. “Tell me why you refuse to leave.”

“...” Minwoo bit his lower lip and played with his fingers, trying to introduce some distraction.

Donghyun took a step closer again, then raising the younger's head with his hands. His eyes were teary but his cheeks were red.

Donghyun chuckled, nodding slowly. “I'll be filling in your information. You can get your sister to pick you up.”

Minwoo frowned slightly. What was he laughing at? He looked at the man in white and saw him move further, and when he was standing at the door of the washroom, he turned back.

Like some sort of déjà vu.

“I'm 29.” Donghyun smirked, watching Minwoo give an affirmative nod hesitantly. “That makes you 23.”

“Yes...?”

“Shouldn't puberty be over for you already?”

Minwoo hurriedly gathered his hands before him, blushing harder.

“I'd close the door for you, be done in twenty.”

-

“Dr Kim Donghyun is unable to report for work. He has fallen sick to the recent flu bug while playing with a stray cat picked off the streets...yes, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.”

“You're pretty good at this.” Donghyun croaked, supporting himself with an arm and watching a younger man manoeuvre around his house.

“Isn't it just calling in sick in your stead?” Minwoo shrugged, bringing a bowl filled with ice and cold water to the base of the sofa Donghyun was lying on.

Dipping a towel in and then wringing it dry, he placed it on Donghyun's forehead and tried to neutralise the heat from the older man's fever. He watched the other watch him, then giggling when the older man didn't stop after a while.

Minwoo leaned closer and felt Donghyun raise himself, the two closing the gap between them. Pressing down the older man so he didn't over-exert himself in his weakened state, Minwoo lowered himself and felt his hair laced between Donghyun's fingers, the sick man pulling him closer. As their lips met, Donghyun gave Minwoo's lips a small nibble, feeling the younger reciprocate.

A soft mew, and Donghyun swore Minwoo was way too easily excited for his own good. The younger man jumped up the sofa and straddled the sick man, ready to engage in a full-fledged make out session when the older man kept him an arm's distance away.

“You were the one who started it.” Minwoo pouted.

“You look so innocent but you get way too .” Donghyun lamented. “I might be a doctor but I have my bad days. This fever is half killing me and I can't deal with you.”

“It's pretty cute. I've never seen a sick doctor.” Minwoo giggled, lowering himself for a quick peck when Donghyun let down his guard. “Get well soon, doctor.”

“Soon, soon. I need to tame my little kitten when I get better too.” The older man s his arms around the younger, his hand then reaching to Minwoo's head. “Yeah, kitty?”

Minwoo shrugged, eyes glinting.

“Meow.”

-

“It's a few hundred dollars.”

Minwoo nodded reluctantly.

“Let's see...I think I need a housekeeper.”


-

*DISCLAIMER: This is a very inaccurate description of Korea's healthcare system. Don't quote me, thanks.

Anyway, too lazy to write a fluffy confession scene. They're adults, they naturally knew each other's feelings. TADAS. Hehehe.

Oh yeah, if you don't understand why this doesn't link to the previous story, as said in the updated forewords, I'm embarking on a alternate universe based on the fact that they were neighbours. Like I could honestly write a one shot for each, but I thought it sounded quite cute for them to be in alternate universes with different jobs / personality / whatever.
Sometimes the neighbour aspect would be just there because it's part of the project, other times it might play a bigger part. No idea, I'm just throwing it out there. Maybe I could have them completely forget that they were neighbours, but you as the reader knows. MUAHAHA. Idk, I just thought being neighbourly was cute. /shrugs/

(pst, if you have any roles you want them to take, you can comment below and I can see what I can do ^^ afterall, I want as many universes as possible~~ keep in mind that I like their , so, Minwoo will most likely never get a more superior position ^^")