Episode 3 : Trivial Ice Pt.1

Acquaintances of a Forever Alone — Love Stories and Other Failed Attempts

Episode 3: Trivial Ice (Pt.1)

Pairing: Baekyun X Jongdae

Word Count: 1,2K

Warnings: Fem!Baekhyun


 

 

 

 

 

It began in second year of high school. Well, not exactly, but since we need a starting point, that's where we'll start.

 

Baekhyun was in her rebellious phase. Again that's not exactly how it was. She was exploring the different style offered to her. She knew for sure that she wasn't like the other girls her age. Where the others preferred taking care of their hair, nails, outfits and makeup, Baekhyun liked to wear comfortable clothes and no makeup at all. His favourite shirts were the ones from the metal band Trivium her godfather bought her for her last birthday and the Metallica ones she borrowed her father with an undetermined due date.

 

Baekhyun knew she wasn't fitting in the crowd of popular kids and she was fine with it: she was more of the calm and shy type anyways. Her friends were just as her: studious, more or less following their own fashion and not the type to get out and get drunk with anybody.

 

She was living her peaceful high-schooler life when she met her cousin Shindong in school for the first time. It was not really long after the beginning of the school year. Though, she called him his cousin, the family link was so thin it could have been called imaginary: it was a story of marriages and brotherhoods too complicated to be explained in simple words. They just called each other 'cousins' and it was fine with everyone.

 

They exchanged a little and with time, Baekhyun started to hang out with Shindong while waiting for her bus at lunchtime and at the end of the day. Though, Shindong was't hanging out alone. He was a metal fan just like her and a good bassist. Shindong was the oldest student of the school because he had to redo his classes two or three times. He might not be the best at school, but he had a really groovy lifestyle. He knew lots of people (mostly the quasi totality of the metalheads) That's why Baekhyun liked to hang out with him: she was sure to hear at least one good joke in her day.

 

As I said, Shindong wasn't hanging out alone and as time passed, Baekhyun learnt to know a few of her cousin's friends. In the beginning, they called her 'Shindong's cousin.' She was okay with it: at least they recognized her.

 

At almost every recess, Baekhyun would abandon her friends to hang out with guys she was only starting to know (but hey! That's how every friendship starts, right?)

 

One day, the group noticed she was wearing her Trivium shirt.

 

"Oh yeah, Trivium! You like that group?" Jongdae asked because he was the most outgoing of the three.

 

"Of course I love the band! I mean, every album is different and it's awesome because it shows their capacity to work with many styles!" Baekhyun started. Once she was starting about music, nothing could stop her. The conversation went on until the bell rang the beginning of classes.

 

Not long after that talk, Baekhyun wore that t-shirt again. She showed up at recess, happy and ready for another fit of laughter that was predictable with that group of crazy bastards. Jongdae warmly welcomed her.

 

"Hey! Trivium-girl, what's up?" He took out his fist for her to bump with her own.

 

"Trivium-girl?" She repeated.

 

"Yeah, since you have that amazing t-shirt" Jongdae explained.

 

"Yeaaah~ I like it. Then you'll be Trivium-boy, since you like the band too."

 

"Yeah, nice!."

 

That's how Baekhyun got her nickname. It was by far one of her favourites out of all the other she had.

 

The rest of that year flew without much major events. The only thing worth mentioning is Baekhyun's first metal concert. She went there with two of her friends (and her step-father because her mom insisted she'd go with a responsible adult) She put on her favourite Metallica shirt and went there without really knowing what she was subscribing for (since she was only starting her discovery of metal culture).

 

The place was small and there were not more than 25 persons in the room. Baekhyun and her friends felt like shrimps: the other people were all at least 18 with long hair, beards, used band shirts, combat boots and studded bracelets. The first band came on stage. They played the first note, a long and melancholic electric sound and Baekhyun's insides did a delectable twist. She knew she would enjoy the rest of it as much as she liked chocolate. It was at that one show that she learn how to headbang. At first she was dizzier than actually headbanging, but by watching the other spectators, she learnt it just fine.

 

The whiplash and deaf ears she got the next morning were still totally worth it.

 

When she told her adventure to Jongdae the next Monday, the latter couldn't help but doubt her.

 

"You didn't really go there?!"

 

"I sure did! Look, I still have the marker mark on my hand!" she said, putting her (effectively marked with a big fading black X) right under his nose. "And my whiplash is still not gone yet! I was the show and you missed it! It was sick! You should have seen the second band; their faces were all painted black and white, with pentacles and s, like a satanic crew. It was black metal. Delicious!"

 

"Well, maybe I'll go to the next one." Jongdae closed the subject. Of course he didn't show up.

 

Summer came by without anyone really noticing it. Time to say goodbye came. Baekhyun vaguely wondered if next year would be the same, you know, hanging out during recess and have exquisite talks about good music. In a way, she was getting attached to her little group. Yixing never talked and was often the object of low jokes, but he didn't pay attention to it: he was used to it anyways. Tao was exaggeratedly tall and had the beginning of a moustache that he wouldn't shave: he said it was for the style. Baekhyun just found it disturbing. Jongdae held a special place in Baekhyun's opinion: he was the one with whom she interacted the most, so of course they would be a little closer, right? It was not that he was the handsomest boy out there. Like most teenagers, he had acne and a tentative of facial hair (but not that much of a tentative, in the end >_<). He was short but fit, in shape but not obviously too much (just enough to have perfect square shoulders in his band t-shirts). Jongdae had sharp facial features, a rather manly face with jaw line. But the most captivating were his eyes. Where he had almost black hair, his eyes were ice blue. It was so contrasting Baekhyun often had to mentally slap herself to stop staring.

 

Sure she was going to miss them all. But Baekhyun had a feeling she would miss Jongdae a little more than she should. 

 

To be continued...