Silent Waves

Silent Waves

The sound of the waves lapping was all Anne focused on, her eyes closed. Her feet began to slowly sink into the warm sand beneath. Distance flashes began in her mind before her knees gave in, splashing into the salty water. Her eyes were on the verge of tears. 

 

Flashback.

 

"Annyeonghasaeyo, my name is Anne. Please take care of me," The class' curious gaze still lingered on her after she bowed and making her way to the empty seat somewhere near the back of the class. Beside her, a girl was happily noting down notes before looking up from her notes to greet her.

 

"Annyeong, I'm Eunji," she gave Anne ablazing smile and held out her hand in which she shook it with. Her infectious smile caused her lips to quirk up into one of her own. Maybe this time it won't be so bad, she thought to herself.

 

Since the pass 16 years of her life, Anne had been constantly moving due to her father's job. So far, she's been to almost 10 schools. She stopped making friends around her fifth transfer, not wanting to feel the pain of seperation. Though there was a few friends she still kept in touch with. 

 

She clutched onto the strap Wanda gave her as a parting gift on her pencil case. Class had begun but she was nowhere near being focused on what the teacher was saying. Nervous bubbles were forming inside her stomach as she remembered what her father had told her.

 

This was it he had said. This was their final move he had promised. His company had finally decided to settle down and set up headquarters here in this part of Seoul. At first she didn't want to believe, she didn't trust her heart to not feel crushed once they started packing to move away. But it has been almost three months since summer started, the first day of summer was the day they moved, and her dad showed no signs of moving again. 

 

She was ecstatic of course, being able the rest of her second year of high school and the whole of her third year here. Hopefully, she'd be graduating with familiar faces, unlike her middle school graduation at a school where she had just transferred to the school a couple months before. 

 

Unconciously, she had begun scribbling in her notebook as her eyes were thrown out of the classroom window. There was the view of the urban city of Seoul, tall buildings loomed above and cars past by in a flash. She would get used to this scene.

 

The bell rang, signalling it was time for lunch. Since it was her first day, she had carefully packed lunch for herself. Unsure of the school's cafeteria menu, she thought it would be safer for her to prepare it. Eunji was just about to head on the cafeteria wheb she saw Anne with her lunch. 

 

" Ooohh so you pcked your own lunch!" she said cheerfully. "Can I try some? How about you come sit with us?" She gestured to the table across where two girls had begun feasting on their food. They both gave Anne welcoming smiles as they looked over. 

 

"Sure," she returned their smiles and made her way over. 

 

"So Anne, where're you from?" 

 

Her answer to that one question seemed to have perked the interest of others. Soon the circle of four began to expand as the whole class joined in on the conversation. Questions were thrown and she couldn't help but laugh as she answered. Some were common, like the question of her having had a boyfriend and compliments of her beauty, while some were downright hilarious, like whether she was a relative of the Arab prince or if it was true she had went to a school in a jungle.

 

True, Anne was beautiful, having being born a mix of Arab and Chinese blood, elegant as her mother had educated hee the regal ways of a woman since birth, and intelligent because of her hardwork. Her beauty and warm smiles attracted many to befriend her. It had been long since she had given away this broad of a smile. She had been sealing herself away for far too long and she was relieved to be able to be herself. As the last bell of the day sounded, the happy smile had never once slipped her lips as she remembered the friends she had made today. 

 

Let's see. Today I met Eunji, Nana, there was one named Jinri, Seul Bi and that guy they called eggyeol? .

 

While busy remembering their names and faces and packing her stuffs into her bag, she hadn't noticed the guy who had walked up to her table. She looked up to see him looking at her with an uneasy expression. Her brows creased as she tried to recall his name. 

 

Ah " Suho-ssi. Is there something wrong?" The male shooked his head, shuffling from foot to foot, wanting to ease his nervous energy. He scratched the back of his neck and cleared his throat.

 

"Um, I was just wondering if you know," he began shyly. "since you..uh.." She studied his face and gulped, as the realization hit her. The class was mostly empty except for the studioous namjoon, being the class valedectorian still studying and losing himself in music at the front of class. Usually this sort of normal atmosphere meant one thing. Could it be, a love confession?!

 

She began to open to politely reject him, after all they had just met, but before she could he quickly continued his sentence in one quick breath.

 

"SinceyousitnexttoEunjicouldyouhelpmegetalongwithher?"

 

She was stunned at his words, relieved that it was not what she had assumed. She replayed his sentence in her mind once more, her brain quickly deciphering it. "Sure. But aren't you classmates? Are you two not on good terms or something?"

 

Suho had begun shuffling from foot to foot again as soon slas she had let the question out. His eyes averted her gaze and instead look out the windows. " Actually, I..um" and then she noticed it.

 

The awkward stance, the neck scratching which shows that his nervous, the blush forming on his cheek and Anne couldn't help the smile creeping on her lips. "You like her don't you?" She teased and the blush on his cheeks seemed to intensify, his pale skin complexion making it obvious. She let out a chuckle before staring back at him.

 

"Don't worry, I'll help you. I'll be cheering for you all the way" 

 

" Thank you," and that was how Anne met her new best friend.

 

Lunch the following day, Suho quietly sneaked her up onto the rpoftop to discuss strategy. After a hearty mral of omurice ajd the bell a few minutes away from ringing, they came up with a simple plan. Anne had found oit Eunji's hluse was on the same route as hers as well as Suho's. She had promised to walk home with Eunji so every opportunity possible, she'd make an excuse to leave early so instead it'd be Suho accompanying Eunji home and get his chance to talk to her. 

 

The plan went smoothly the first day. And so began Anne's routine at her new high school.

 

Everyday, she'd spend lunch with at the rooftop. At first ot was only Suho but sometimes Eunji would join them. Classes wpuld go on as usual and after school her excuse to leave early would always be that she had cram school to attend. At times when Suho is busy, she'd rid of the excuse and walk Eunji home. 

 

Spending tine with Suho, she found it oddly comfortable to talk to him. There were no awkward silence, no nervous feeling, she couzld be her own self. There were tines she felt irritated when Eunji joined in during their secret lunch dates. Not knowing why, she'd usually just shake the feeling off.

 

"I'm planning to confess to her today," Suho had spoken once as Anne nibbled on her bread. She smiled, plaxing the plastic bread wrap away to reach for his hands. "Good luck. I'll be cheering for you." 

 

And eventhough she had a on a happy expression, she couldn't mask the feeling of sadness swelling inside her chest.

 

The following day started with the scene of Anne seeing Eunji giving Suho a kiss on the cheek and the couple announcing their relationship to the whole class. More like it was Eunji who was showing it off. She marched around the school cafeteria during lunch holding hands with him and spending every class break over at his table. It was nice to see the huge amile spreading on Suho's lips bit even so Anne couldn't stop herself from feeling the pain burning inside her heart.

 

Soon enough, there were no longer lunch dates with Suho. She'd sit alone on the rooftop, nibbling on her omurice while watching the scenery of Seoul unfolding below her. Her walk home had never felt anymore awkward since as she trailed quietly behind the happy couple.

 

Anne would still receive occasional texts from Suho. He'd text about his date with Eunji and ask for advice on which presents to buy. She was happy that he still remembered her and needed her. Her reply were always enthusiastic, putting a lot of thoughts on it. 

 

"Hey Anne, do you think I should wear plaids or stripes tomorrow?" Suho had asked her through the phone as she flipped through the pages of her homework? 

 

"Wae? Just wear either one. You look good in anything, anyways," She could almost feel him blushing over the phone at the compliment. A chuckle escaped her lips.

 

" Yah, this is serious because tomorrow," he was nervous even saying what he was goin to do tomorrow. Hw gulped down his saliva and continued softly. " tomorrow I'm going to propose to her," Those were the last words Anne heard before the phone slipped put of her hands.

 

"Aniya! It's not that sort of proposal," Anne could still remember Suho's voice loud and clear through the speakerphone. "I'm just going to give her a promise ring," She ran a hand through her hair and sighed exasperatedly. 

 

"Love problems?"Kyungsoo sat beside her in the library, quietly flippin through the pages of a novel. She turned to stare at her doe-eyed friend. Since Suho started dating Eunji and there became less and less of their lunch time together, Anne has been going to the library instead, hoping to rid of her lonely feeling by immersing herself in other people's sorrow through reading novels. There, she met Kyungsoo and the instance her eyes greeted his silent brown orbs she broke down into tears. She found her new best friend.

 

Kyungsoo, without taking his eyes off his novel, raised a brow at her and she banged her head on the table, earning a glare from the librarian. He heaved a sigh and closed his book. His peaceful Sunday plans would have to reschedueled seeing his helpless friend suffer. Standing up, he grabbed her by tye arms and began draggin her out. "Kaja"

 

Laughter and screams.from the funfair were heard from a distance as they strolled quietly along the beach. Kyungsoo kept on texting on his phone as Anne threw lher gaze outwards the sea. his phone rang and he raised his index finger before walking away to talk privately. She sighed and stopped to face the sea.

 

The sound of the waves lapping filled her mind as she closed her eyes and breathed deeply. Suddenly, she felt her eyes warm as a pair of hands covered hers. 

 

"Guess who?" His warm breath tickled her neck as she held her breath. He was standing so close she felt her heartbeat accelerate. 

 

"Suho- yah?" She answered hesitantly before the warm presence left her and sunlight greeted her eyes. Slowly she turned around to meet a smiling Suho. "Ding dong daeng" 

 

The sun had long set as they sat at the edge of the cliff, feet hanging and the waves lapping below. Anne quietly munched on the snacks as Suho finished his story. He heaved out a sigh of relief. 

 

" You know somehow I feel kinda relaxed now," he turned to her as he spoke this. "Though I just broke up with my girlfriend, talking to you kinda felt like taking a heavy burden of my shoulders," 

 

"Like the feeling you get after going on a long trip away from home and you're finally back?" 

 

"That's right," he took her hand into his . "Anne, you're my home" A moment of silence passed.

 

"I'm your best friend, remember," she laughed, trying to rid of her nervousness building up inside. She turned and Suho's eyes were suddenly serious. A frown formed on his face as he opened his mouth to say something but quickly shut them back. She heard him sigh and lay back onto the grass.

 

"Hey Anne," he said, breaking the uncomfortable silence. " you still like collecting those boxes?" Her eyes lit up as she answered eagerly. 

 

"Of course. Why? You have another one for me?" Ever since Suho found out about her crazy box collection the first tine they had lunch together, he started giving her boxes he received from his admirers. At first she was reluctant but when he said he'd just throw them away of she didn't want it, she had to save those pretty boxes from their eternal death.

 

He chuckled at her excitement and began to get up. "I left it in my car. Just wait here and let me get it," he dusted his hands on his pants and began jogging his way back to the car. 

 

15 minutes passed and she began to worry why Suho hasn't made it back. At first she was annoyed, thinking he'd stop to flirt with another girl and then came her anxiousness as she thought about him getting back together with Eunji. Half an hour passed, she couldn't stand the wait any longer and stood up to find him. On the path heading towards the car park, ahe noticed a figure sprawled on the floor. Recognizing the striped blue hoodie, she rushed over to his side. 

 

"Oh God, Suho!"

 

Panic began in her chest as she lifted his head onto her lap. She searched for his pulse and relaxed a little once she found it. Reaching into her bag, she dialled for an ambulance.

 

"Don't leave me yet, please," she begged as a drop of tear escaped her closed eyelids. She whispered, desperately holding back a sob, "I love you,"

 

A few minutes later, the ambulance arrived and they rushed him to the hospital.

 

Anne paced nervously in the ER's waiting hall as she waited for the doctor to report his condition. Suho's parents had arrived later and the doctor appeared soon after.

 

Suho's mother began to sob hysterically and Anne slumped to the ground, her feet numb as her mind was unable to process the information given. It had seemed as the world had no longer matter. 

 

They were seated at the hospital's cafeteria as Suho's father slowly told Anne of Suho's lung cancer. He had been keeping it a secret from everyone at school. Not wantinbhis friends to worry, he would put on a happy smile at school. They didn't have the money for treatment. Instead, they resorted to keeping him healthy and so came his obsession towards health food and supplements.

 

Anne was mentally banging her head on the table as they spoke, blaming her for never noticing his condition. It was either he was good at hiding it or she was just too wrappwd in her emotions to.notice it. Either ways, she felt like the most useless best friebd in the world.

 

Present.

 

She was remembering the last day they spent at the beach together. His hand had been so close yet out of reach and she longed to hold him. 

 

A year has passed since his family had move to get closer to the hospital he was receiving treatment from. She haven't contacted him since he was admitted to the hospital. She visted everyday and one day they all were all gone. The nurse who attended often to Suho gave her a note his mother left, saying they would be away for his health and that ahe shouldn't be worried. 

 

They weren't much memories of her, him and the sea but it was probably because the last she saw of him was by the sea, and also the fact the first time she confessed her love to him was also at this beach became the reason she often came to visit. And not to forget he always smelled like the ocean due to his cologne and bathsoap. Reliving the night of the incident over and over again in her mind always left her frustrated and all the thoughts of what ifs came to mind. 

 

Like, what if she had been the one to fetch her gift, what if she confessed sooner or what if she had noticed his ill situation before. All the dark thoughts began crowding her mind and juat like that she sunk to the ground, salty water splashing and drenching her. The fact that a year had passed and no jews ever came from the kim's caused her mind to.make up the decision into thinking Suho had died. But of course there was also the tiny glinterr of hope in her which she placed faith into Mrs Kim to call her if the situation ever happened. She knew well of her relationship with their son and wouldn't have done such a horrible thing as leaving her out of her best friend's funeral. Would she?

 

A large wave appeared and it smacked right into her face, causing a startling expression. She stood up, coughing away the salty sprays of water and rubbing it off as she trotted back to dry land. Her bum landed onto the hot dry sand as she quickly took the towel to wipe her face. A bottle of water appeared before her and she grab it to gulp it down in one go.

 

Suddenly she was aware of the persob who gave her the bottle. His hands seemde familiar yet she dd not dare to turn around of fear he might just be a ghost or if this was all a dream. Then, she heard his voice, loud and familiar, ringing throug her ears.

 

"Hey Anne, come on open your eyes" he begged. "Turn around"

Tempting, she thought but her eyes remained closed, facing front as she calmed her erratically beating heart. Suddenly she felt his fingers on her shoulders and stiffened He might not be real but it sure as hell does feel like it.

 

The tone of his voice that came afterwards caused a sligth eruption to begin in her stomach. "Please," his tone pleading and slowly she open her eyes, her neck craning to see him from behind her.

 

Tears unknowingly formed in her eyes and they began to spill as she took in his form. Those long legs and toned body, his warm brown eyes and scultptured nose to his smirking lips. She hadn't realized how much she had missed him until then. Her feet took of on its own and soon she found herself enveloped in his warm hug, breathing in his tropical beach scent.

 

"I miss you too," he chuckled causing his chest to vibrate. Her grip on him tightenes just as he began to loosen it. "Just, stay like this for a while longer," she said. He was hesitant at first but hugged her even more soon after. She felt him kissing the top of her head, as his head slowly bent to reach her ears.

 

"I love you too"