Sad

Sad Beautiful Tragic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Third Person Point of View

 

December 24th 2003 21:41

The kids exuberantly watched the Christmas lights turn crimson, on and off. They enjoyed the sight of the glistening lights as if they haven’t felt this much enthusiasm for over the years. There was a conspicuous light that stands out in the dim room, on a table, there were foods made just for everyone. Foods made by their loving mother, on a beautiful day of Christmas. The kids went wild as they saw the gifts under a plastic tree, and their visions created invisible sparkles. On a cold day of Christmas, they watched the snowfalls through a thick glass of window. There were kids happily floundering through the thick layers of snow.

“Mom, can we play outside?”, the youngest pleaded, breaking his sight from that view behind the transparent glass. The other two followed, showing a sign of agreement.

“As much as I wanted to, honey… you can’t. No one will keep an eye on you,” Just right after her opposition, the doorbell rang. She felt a rollercoaster of excitement rushed through her veins as she made her way to the door. Her lips started to form a curve at every step, trying to ignore the struggle to walk. Step by step. She felt the rollercoaster came to an end as she opened the door.

It was the neighbor. She stood there for seconds, unaware of the Tupperware held by the hands of the old lady in front of her. The neighbors were kind and thoughtful; they even offered food on a cold day of Christmas– even on a first day of November. Finally getting back to her senses, she noticed the uneasiness of the old lady –not because of the silence but because of the fact that she’s holding something she couldn’t endure any longer.

She swiftly took the Tupperware, and thought of how cruel it is to send an old lady to a neighbor’s house on a cold night. She said a sincere thank you with a bow she can reach up to with her baby bump. “It’s my pleasure to take you home,” She said with a smile.

“No, a pregnant lady shouldn’t be out on a cold night like this,”

“You too, as well, ma’am.” She brought the container on the table with much difficulty –wouldn’t it be great if children can help their mother with such an easy task – She walked to the front door only to find the old lady gone. With a sigh, she walked towards the window and saw the lady walking alone.

“Mom, what if you come with us?”, The youngest haven’t surrendered. “Mom offered the lady to walk her home.”

“I can’t make it, honey. Just wait for your daddy to come home. We’ll celebrate and you can play around through the snow anytime.” They cheered. The childish act somehow made her feel happy.

The conversation lapsed into a comfortable silence; the kids were probably imagining things–until a ring on her phone decided to break it. She blinked her eyes as the device scintillated in the dim room, displaying her manager’s name. “Hello, Ma’am,”

“Jung Mijoo, there was a problem with the treasury. Your people made a mistake while you were on your leave today.” A voice filled with panic, worry and horror echoed through her right ear.

“My people? What happened, Ma’am?”  It was her turn to be in a state of panic. Hearing their mother’s voice, the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter