The Stranger

Subway Mornings with a Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Listen to this while reading. Have fun!

 

I know it's 6 AM in the morning and the commotion in the subway is making my day heavier. Considering today is a Monday is heavy itself. Not to mention school and my 89.46% done plates to be submitted this afternoon. I have yet to cram these later.

I paced lazily towards the men's line along the entrance, wondering when will I finally get to enter.

Tilting my head to the women's entrance, I noticed someone rummaging hastily into her bag. Not only mine, but there were a lot of eyes watching her. I swear, the guards are looking at her with such impatience not so good for a Monday morning. I shook my head as I made my way to the entrance and let the guard check the inside of my bag.

Making my way through the stampede of the crowd by consistently bumping on strangers' sides and backs, I saw this girl.

No, not that kind of girl. THIS kind of girl.

I swear I have said this many times to other strangers, but this girl is one of a kind.

I realized then that this one is the same to the woman who was rummaging through her bag. Long brown hair, fair skin, knitted eyebrows with her lips puckered in irritation in a white uniform. It seems like she's taking a medical course or somewhat near to that. Is she dreaming to be a doctor? Heck, that would be damn fine to think she could take good care of our kids. Then I would be an architect; teaching our kids how to draw houses and bridges. I will teach my kids how to make a big mess out of the kitchen to make the perfect lunch for their mommy. And then we will occasionally annoy our dear mom in her clinic.

I sheepishly smiled to myself at how cute that woman looks with the series of imagination swarming my mind, safe enough for anyone not to call me an idiot in a sea of agitated morning people.

Straightening the straps of my backpack, I made my way down to the platform, to the door entrance I have always stood on, and waited for the train to arrive.

"Damn it", I cursed under my breath as my clock read 6:15. I cannot believe I was stuck in that line for more than 10 minutes. It is a 30-minute ride to school. I heaved a deep sigh knowing that I won't be late.

The same girl stood by me unexpectedly after a few minutes. I glanced my head a little to take a closer peek ar her features. Same pretty young irritated face but this time her hair is in dire need of a brief brushing. Has she been following me all along? Did she had a hard time finding me here? She stole a glance before realizing that I've been staring for too long and lowered her head. I wanted to laugh at the ideas but I had to keep my mouth shut to keep my cool before she steals another glance.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter