Travelers

Travelers

Here we go again.  Another plane. Another boring flight.

He found his seat and settled in, plugging his Ipod into the power jack and leaning back, closed his eyes.  It was his usual thing to sleep as much as he could on a flight, since after landing, there was hardly time to breathe.  He felt someone take the seat next to him and frowned slightly.  Seatmates were usually one of two things, boring as hell, or obnoxious.  He cracked an eye to see who was seated next to him and sighed with relief when he saw a middle aged woman with short hair, obviously American.  Checking her off as the first category, he settled back into his nap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She looked over at the sleeping man in the next seat and as quietly as she could, opened her tutorial books.  It was her very first trip to Korea and she intended on studying on the flight.  A smile ghosted across her face as she once more snuck a look at her seatmate.

Who would have believed that a screw up in booking would have her seated in first class.  Who would have believed she would be next to HIM.

Kwon Jiyong.  G-Dragon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours later, he yawned and blinked himself back to conciousness.  The seatbelt sign was off, so he released the buckle and stood, stretching as much as the cabin space would allow.  He nodded as he passed by the older woman on his way to the restroom, noticing that she was deep into what seemed to be a Korean phrasebook.  A little smile crept its way onto his face.

On his return, he made the decision to speak to her.  After all, it wasn't like she would know him.  She was the wrong demographic.

'Excuse me.  Are you going all the way to Korea?'

She looked up and smiled, her blue-grey eyes twinkling.  He couldn't tell, but her heart was beating hard and fast. GD was addressing HER!

'Yes.  My first trip to Seoul.'

He nodded.  'What plans do you have, if I may be so imposing.'  He expected the usual, Namsan, Gangnam, shopping.  He was mildly surprised when she started with Myeongdong and the night market, Beopjusa Temple, Gyongbogung Palace, and the Han River Bridge.

They talked for a while, him recommending eateries, out of the way places for shopping, and things only natives would know, while she told him of her fascination with Kdramas and the history of the country.  It wasn't until they were landing for one of the layovers that he realized that he never had gotten her name, nor given his own.

Sheepishly, he stopped her as she made to deplane.  Rubbing his hand over the nape of his neck, he bit at his lower lip.

'I'm sorry Noona, I forgot to introduce myself.'

She smiled at him and turned to walk away.  Drifting back to him he softly heard a reply.  'I already know you Kwon Jiyong-sshi'

He was actually disappointed when she wasn't on the continuing flight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next couple of days were uneventful and busy.  Finally the weekend came, and with it, the last free days they would have for a while.  Shouldering his bag, Jiyong set out for a quiet couple of days with his family.  The drive to Dolce Vita was peaceful and by the time he got there, he was relaxed.  Entering the lobby of the pension, we was greeted with a cry of "Yongie!" and a crushing hug from his umma.  Hearing her, his appa came out wiping his hands on a cloth, a huge smile across his visage.  Enveloped in yet another hug, he never saw or heard the soft chuckle from one of the guests as she slipped away to her room.

Later that evening, Jiyong walked along the lakeside as he made his way towards the boat dock.  This was his favorite time to be out when he was home.  As the sun fell behind the mountains, one could watch the stars come out.  In the city, they were near invisible with all of the lights, but here, you almost felt like you could reach out to touch them.  When he saw someone else already at the dock, he nearly turned back, but something made him continue on.  As he got closer, he heard a soft female voice singing.  Stopping to listen, he recognized "Magic Castle".   The singer finished that and just as softly, went on to sing another song.  This one he knew far too well as he had written it himself. He didn't move as the familiar strains of Haru Haru floated back to him.  Finally he stepped forward, only to stop when the singer turned slightly towards him.

"Anneyonghaseo Kwon Jiyong-sshi.  I wondered how long you were going to just stand there.'

'Noona?'

'Nae ileum-eun Dorisi ibnida.'

Her chuckle drifted through the darkness and he found himself moving to sit next to her at the end of the dock.  Silently, they watched as the stars took up their nightly duties and the crescent moon rose.   Dorisi got up and bowed to him.

'Jal jaya, Jiyong-sshi.'  She turned and started back towards the pension buildings without another word until a hand on her arm stopped her.

'Noona, don't go yet.  Can we talk?'

She nodded and let him lead her along the dock.  Reaching the main house, he led her into the kitchen and proceeded to make coffee.  Motioning for her to sit, she made herself comfortable at a small side table.   Not knowing where to begin, Jiyong paced for a minute before sitting down himself.

'Why didn't you tell me you knew me?  He finally asked.  She smiled and their eyes met.

'Because you get enough of that.  I figured if you wanted me to acknowledge it, you would tell me yourself.  There was no reason for me to make you self concious or uncomfortable.'

His heart warmed at her thoughtfulness.  To have someone respect him and treat him like just another person was so rare.   She reached over and gently patted his hand. 

'We can talk tomorrow.  Go to sleep  Jiyong-sshi.' She stood to leave.  As she opened the door to leave, he cleared his throat.

'Just call me Jiyong, noona.  No need for formalities, neh?'

A single nod and a hum of acknowledgement and she was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He woke up late the next morning and went to find his noona.  He was shocked when he found out that she was already gone.  A bit saddened that they hadn't had more time to get to know each other, he sighed and went on to spent the day with his family.  As he made ready to leave that night, his appa handed him an envelope.

'One of the guests asked me to give you this.  She said to wait until you left.'

He waited until he was in the car to open it.  A single folded sheet was all there was.  He read it and a tear made its way down his cheek.

Jiyong-ah,

By the time you get this, I'll be on a plane home.  I'm sorry we didn't have more time to talk, but know that I will hold every moment with you near to my heart.  You and your music came into my life when I needed it the most and changed it for the better.  You made me realize that I had to live for me, and not everyone else.  You gave me the courage to be who I wanted to be and not care about what others thought of it.  Thank you for just being you, my dear dragon.  You have made my journey through this life an enjoyable one.  Be safe and happy Jiyong-ah.

From Noona with Love.

He folded the paper and placed it back in its envelope. As he drove back towards Seoul, his mind wandered and thoughts of blue grey eyes and a simple, shy smile stayed in his mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weeks passed and Jiyong was once again buried in his work.  Hours in the studio stretched into days and the days into weeks.  The rest of the group watched in amazement as song after song poured from his nimble fingers.  Once released, the album was a huge success.  During an interview, Jiyong was asked where he found the inspiration for the songs that everyone was talking about. His answer....

'Funny how a simple flight, with no disaster involved, can change your life Thank you Noona, wherever you are.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Halfway around the world, a woman watched the interview and smiled, her blue grey eyes shining.

'You are very welcome Jiyong-ah.'  she whispered to no one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its been months since noona left him the message saying goodbye and still he thinks of her.  Once in a while, you just connect with someone and it changes your entire life.  She was one of those.  They were back in the US for the first time in nearly a year and Jiyong wondered, where was she even from?  Would she see the show?   Time and time again, he wished they could meet once more.

'TWO MINUTES!"

One last look in the mirror and he joined his brothers in taking their marks.  Halfway through the show, as he scanned the crowd that was visible to him from the stage, he thought he saw a familiar face, but when he looked again, she was gone.  After the show, as they headed for the caravan back to the hotel, a security guard handed him an envelope.  Written on it was his name in a familiar penmanship.  He quickly opened it.

Jiyong-ah,

Welcome back to the US my friend.  If you have a chance, and are so inclined, I would like to talk.  Here is my email.

As always, with love,

Noona

All thoughts of sleep deserted him as he raced back to his room and snatched up his tablet, opening his email and typing in the address given

Noona.  Of course I want to talk!  I've missed you.

It was only a few minutes before he heard the sound of an incoming email.

Missed you too my sweet dragon.  I'm sorry I had to leave early when we last were together.  Something personal came up and I only had a few mnutes to leave a message.  It wasn't until later I remembered I forgot the contact info. Mianhae.

Their online conversation lasted until near dawn.  Finally, he learned about this strange woman, and she learned more of the real Jiyong.  It was decidedly an odd friendship, but he felt as though he had known her for years, not just met for a few hours total.  Armed with new information, he made a decision.  Smiling, he drifted off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She had just sat down to see if Jiyong was online.  After no response was received, she sighed and closed her laptop.  He had not been on for days, but that wasn't unusual, he was a busy man after all.  Getting up, she went to the kitchen to make some tea.  She was waiting for it to steep when there was a knock at her door.  Living in a rural area, she didn't get many visitors.  Opening the door, she addressed the person on her doorstep.

'May I help you?'

The person turned and a smile crossed his face.

'Hello Noona.'

 

 

A/N:  An odd little fluff piece I thought of.  Have a WONDERFUL time reading the festival stories!!