When a boy meet a girl

Beau of the Boulevard

CHAPTER 1

 

“when a boy meet a girl ”

 

The spring has just started.

 

Just like the new, anticipated yet nerve-wracking semester on  Hwalyeohan public High School. Or like the choir rehearsal being held on the 3rd floor of the west wing of the new building. Or, if you listen close enough, you can even try with closing your eyes, focusing on one sense instead, you’d hear these whispers, vivid but hushed at the same time, all around this crowded yet selfish place. In the classrooms, among the crowds in the hall, along the corridors, at the gym, and even inside the teacher’s lounge. It sounded almost like desperate prayers upon very scared people’s lips, inevitably flowing out of just about everyone’s itchy mouth. They’re scared, but they just had to talk about it. And they only started.

 

Mere students shouldn’t be talking about this. Because really, who are they to judge? They’re just ordinary teenagers, stuck in the hours and years of poor education system and insecurities. And what is even wrong with the teachers? Among all the things the should’ve done as an educator, as the authorities, as the adults of the small society of Hwalyeohan, they just had to choose to use their maturity, honor and limited time to talk about their students. It’s should be a common sense that nobody is a real saint.

 

But just one chance to expose one’s sins thus dig a grave of the poor man just so they could get a sense of satisfactions and attentions,  they’d jump on it like a rabies cat In heat. Nobody knows the truth, but still, why stop swimming in the mainstream even though it’s heading towards the waterfall, as long as it’s what everyone is doing? And also being born with a silver spoon sticking to your tongue, being the perfect figure for all the biased people all your life, or even if you spit galaxy’s stardust and diamond, still won’t detract the possibility or the fact that, despite every shiny and golden things that stick to the ground you walk on, people will still talk about you, and not to you.

 

But whatever these people were talking about, Kyungsoo could really care less. He already had insanely way too much upon his tired shoulders.  If listening was knowing, and knowing lead to even the slightest possibility of caring, that he might as well just go deaf. He really couldn’t afford any of these useless high school nonsense that just had to happen. Excruciatingly inevitable. He never thought being 18 could be so exhausting. But really, he shouldn’t be listening to these whispers because his mind is so clouded, his heart is wrenching to the point where his guts makes some refusal movements, threatening his poorly nutritioned breakfast to lurch back out.

 

 

For the first time in his 2 years of high school. Or all of his 11 years of school really, he had to take his first and unwanted detour to the main building to pay a visit to the principal’s office. But this time, it won’t be about his singing nor scholarship.

 

Because nothing is wrong with scholarship and singing right? Quite the contrary.

 

But the letter he got two days ago stated that the reason behind his calling was because something is wrong. With him, to be precise.

 

Very wrong.

But then again, getting into yet another trouble shouldn’t be his excuse to shut down the news among the school’s crowd. Or to shut down people and everything else in general in his case. Because maybe he needs to be alarmed of the current issues inside the place whereas he would be spending most of his time, energy and his already lacking patience in. or maybe, simply because he is the only guy who deserve to know the truth of the whispers. Maybe because it was a rumor of him. And of a person who’ll matter much more as the time goes by.

 

Because Kyungsoo, really, maybe, just maybe. You should care.

 

“Have you gathered all the files, secretary Oh?” The old man behind the long, perfectly crafted mahogany table, with a shining marble nameplate resting coldly on it. The softly yet eye catching golden letters of “principle” sprawled upon it. A beautiful marble pot of pink orchid sat quietly on the corner of the table. “Yes, yes I have, principle kwon. It’s all ready.” Answered the lanky tall figure by the bookshelf. He looked down on a thick blue files he held on his hand through his rimmed glasses, double checking his work.

 

“Well, then the next step is only to wait for both of them to arrive here.” A woman with French bun stood next to the principal. She was dressed neatly in a burgundy suit and matching pencil skirt. Her white ruffled shirt peeked through elegantly, with a silver gold necklace resting peacefully upon her collarbones. On the left side of her suit pocket, a nameplate with “vice principal” written on it rested neatly. She looked outside the huge window onto the school gates, appreciating the good weather of spring.

 

There was soft knock on the door. Then another. The principal cue secretary oh to open the door. He obediently walked over to the door and opened it. There, just outside the door, stood the most beautiful human being anyone across Seoul has or will ever encountered.

 

Her eyes light up when she saw the people inside the room. She bowed politely and smiled. “Good morning principal kwon, vice principal Seo, and of course, my favorite secretary Oh.” The older spectacled man just lowered his head with shy grin upon his lips.

 

“Please come in, Sora.” The principal smiled warmly at her.

 

She walked down the spacious office, purposely winking at the already embarrassed secretary, only to chuckled to herself. Her long, soft and black wavy hair cascade down her torso down to her hips. She had her eyeglasses tucked in the opening of her schoold blouse, rested a bit uncomfortable against her perky bosoms. Her school blazer was sewed into perfection, leaving not even a single thread to come loose. Her shiny black mary jane’s heels made a soft clicking noise against the hard wooden floor, only to subside when she walked upon the carpet near the principal’s desk.  She had her school skirt longer than any other student, it went down to her ankle, but not without a twist. The skirt was so tight people wondering why there’s no line on her bum, and it also has high double slits on either sides of her hairless, milky legs. She only wear this skirt on Monday though. Maybe because of the weekly school ceremony every Monday. or maybe she just really wants to stand out. Or maybe just because she can.

 

Or maybe because she needs to stand out and sometimes, just because.

All thanks to the golden badge on her left pocket, it says:

“Student Body President.”

 

When she sat down on one of the chair across the principal, the older and wiser man started a light conversation, asking about her grades, how her family is doing, and what issues the student body are facing.

 

“well, the latest one is this guy’s issues.” Said Sora while receiving the blue files secretary oh was giving her. She mumbled a ‘thank you’ while her eyes still planted firmly on the case files. Her brows furrowed, eyes skimming across the pages, lips suddenly pursed into thin line.

 

“find anything interesting?” asked the vice principal, leaning across the window, still looking outside. The younger one just nodded, absent mindedly hoping the older women would see her movement on the window’s reflection, only to turn another page around.

 

“Way,way too many interesting stuffs, I might say, Mrs. Vice principal.” Her mind was racing. Contemplating. Thinking. Wondering.

 

Just before she opened to ask the elders some question, she heard a quiet knock, almost non existed. It sounded so uncertain she was  certain who the person that was knocking.

 

“secretary oh, he’s here.” She had turned her body fully on the chair, facing the door all the way. Secretary oh walked to the door for the second time today to open the door, only to be greeted by the exact contrary of the pretty view by door just 10 minutes ago.

 

Rather than another beauty by the door, stood there was a misery in a form of a boy. His face  was in utter shocked, like his prayer of the possibility that the people inside couldn’t hear his pathetically quiet knock would be enough to be his excuse to walk back down to wherever his hiding place was, was failed to be answered.

 

“ah, Kyungsoo. Please come in and have a seat.” The principal stood up, motioning Kyungsoo to come into the room. His gesture seemed almost way too gentle, like he’s trying to approach a scared and hurt little deer. 

 

Kyungsoo walked slowly into the room. His hair was a mess, it looked like he’s been running his fingers through it over a million times. His white school shirt is a bit crumpled, and his blazer look a bit too small for him. His shoes was fine, just a bit dirty. But his eyes. His eyes were the worst. It has dark circles and huge eyebags underneath it. But what’s inside is even worse. They were so empty, so tired, yet it screams something so tragic, so wrong.

 

‘They could’ve been so beautiful.’ Sora thought to herself. She just couldn’t take her eyes off him. The big, round eyes with wide white space inside of it, just staring blankly into nothing in particular. It looks a lot tike the eyes of her teddy bears home. But just a lot, lot sadder. Then her eyes landed on his fingers. His slender but a bit calloused fingers, stretching then balling into a fist, digging it nails to the palm. They looked so strong, and pretty, and also so tired.

 

“Now that the two of you are here. We can finally start. Ah, but do you know each other already? Aren’t you two junior and senior? “ said the principal. It was true. Kyungsoo was Sora’s junior, with one year apart between them.

 

Sora was still gazing into Kyungsoo’s eyes and she had no idea why he had not turn to her and call her out for being rude. He just stared blankly into nothing in particular.

 

“hi. I’m lee Sora. Senior year. Might or might not be the student president.” She offered her hand, with a little bit of joke in her words, somehow wishing it would make the younger one light up a little. But no, he just turned to her, eyes as empty as before.

 

“I know who you are.” He stated. Well, that wasn’t very friendly, but at least now he’s also looking at her. He slowly raised his hand to take Sora’s, only to put it back down on his lap again.

Seeing his reluctance, Sora drew her hand back and smiled. “me too.” She said.

“you know me?” Kyungsoo asked, very surprised.

“no, I know me too.” She grinned. She didn’t know why she was still trying. She heard secretary oh laughed instead.

Kyungsoo’s eyes gave a different light just seconds ago, but after her last words his eyes were back to it sad self again. She almost instantly regretted her last words.

“I’m kidding. I know who you are, Do Kyungsoo.” She said, titling her head, trying to catch the younger one’s eyes.

“it’s only because you’re the student body president.”

“no.”

Kyungsoo looked down. He saw blue files on top of Sora’s lap with his name it.

“must be because of that.” Sora’s eyes followed his gaze, and shook her head.

“still no.”

“then why.”

It wasn’t even a question. It was too dry to be to be one.

Sora just shrugged. “Just because.” It wasn’t a complete lie. Sometimes people just catch a stranger’s face and just like that, the stranger has left a mark. But little did Kyungsoo know, just barely 10 months ago, someone’s breath was fully taken away, with eyes sparkling with pure awe, and maybe, a little fall of the heart. All because of Kyungsoo’s performance on the annual school musical play. Just one finishing note on a ballad song and he managed to capture a golden heart.

 

Sora then turned her face back to the elders in front of them and smiled. She nodded her head and the older man cue the other two that they were going to start the forum.

 

On the corner of her right eyes she saw a movement of breaths being sharply taken.


“These are the list of the obstacles we’re going through with you, Kyungsoo.” A piece of paper full of list of words were pushed across the table.

 

“For the past two months, your grades has been slipping quite drastically. You’re also almost always late for school. I also informed that you quit the choir 3 weeks ago and currently not taking any extracurricular nor club activity. And we know that we promised you a scholarship for your final year and, if you’re qualified, another one, full scholarship for your college, but you still have this one last semester on your second year that you still has to pay on your own. Your last month’s fee hasn’t been paid, and we’ve been through Christmas and new year’s holiday . We have given you dispensation, but we really cannot go any further than this.” The principal said apologetically . ever since the “forum” was opened, Kyungsoo has already hung his head so low, looking down on his shoes. He just occasionally nodded when any of the elders ask for confirmation. Now, he even bow his head lower.

 

“after seeing all of these reports, we couldn’t help but worry. If you have any hardships, please let us know, because this seem very serious. We want to help.”

 

They wanted to help they say. ha.

 

“Look.” The vice principal walked towards Kyungsoo, then rest her hand on his shoulder. “we really want to help you. We really want to give you the scholarship. You are one of the brightest student we’ve ever had in years. Your academic record has always been so outstanding, so does your singing talent. We’re crushed to see this kind of turning point in your life, Kyungsoo. We might care about you but rules are rules. Special privilege only delivered to those who are qualified, constantly. But with your current condition, we’re afraid we have to give it to other student.” she finished, giving a light squeeze on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“And we don’t want that to happen yet because we believe in you.”

 

Those words supposedly give some sort of warmth in Kyungsoo’s heart. But still, not enough.

 

“I don’t want to loose the scholarship.” He stated finally. When he looked up, he looked even more tired. And then, he even looked desperate.

 

“Neither do us, but these terms, we couldn’t just terminate it all. That’s why we call you here. Not to punish you, but to reach out to you. If you’re in any kind of trouble, then please let us know how to help. Because Kyungsoo, It might be crucial.”

 

“But you wouldn’t understand.” It was even more quiet than silence.

 

“We know. Actually, we probably understand but you probably wouldn’t be comfortable enough to open up to us. We’re just old people anyway. So that’s why ms. Lee Sora is here.” The principal smiled. Kyungsoo raised his head and stared at the principle, then to Sora. He was confused.

 

“we’ve sent Ms. Lee Sora here as your personal guide. Originally we only sent her to be your tutor but reading your full reports, you would need more than that. She would be there for you 24/7. Don’t worry, she already agreed and also don’t be creeped out, she won’t be lurking in the shadow watching your every move. You’ll have her number and email so you can contact her anytime you want. She would also give you extra lesson after school for 1 hour and a half. After that she would come visit you on the weekend and…”

 

“on the weekend?” Kyungsoo asked, getting even more confused.

At the mention of the word "weekend", his face just lost all of it’s color. Blood drained away from it, his eyes grew bigger, hands fidgeting. He looked like he just got caught after doing and extremely vile crime.

“yes, why?” asked the principal.

“why would I need her on the weekend?” he started to panicking.

“because you’re working even on Saturday and Sunday and I’m just going to be there to help anything I can.” Sora turned to Kyungsoo, smiling.

“no. absolutely not.” He shook his head, face started to filled with anger.

“why not?” ask the vice principal.

“just no. I can’t… I mean, I’m just so confused right now and all of the stuffs just…”

he stopped midsentence, drew a long breath in and suddenly stood up.

“I’m sorry I just couldn’t cope with this right now.”

And with that he bowed his head and stormed out of the room.

 

Sora raised to her feet, planning on running to catch up with Kyungsoo,  but the principal stopped her.

 

“let him be, Sora. Let him clear his head. It must’ve been hard to undertand.” Sora just nodded and sunk back to the chair. But she just couldn’t shake it off. He just left so many question inside of her. Seconds later, she also abruptly stood up.

 

“I’ll be going then. To class, that is.” She lied.

 

“okay, I suppose so. Oh, anyway, have you read his medical test result, Sora?”

“yes, I have.” She nodded.

“good. Just keep those results in mind. They’re the most important. And please give him the result, he hasn’t seen it.”

“Allright, sir.” She bowed her head and walked towards the door.

 

“oh, and Sora? I almost forgot to say this. Congratulation on your…” before the principal could finish his sentence, Sora has stopped on her track and turn around, raising one hand with sour smile on her lips.

 

“no need sir. I don’t even want to talk about it.” And with that she was out the door, running aimlessly, searching for a boy who managed to occupy all of her mind with just one meeting.

 

It’s a bit ironic how a tragedy always met a beauty in the seconds and hours that is running out.

 


So, that's the first chapter! thanks for those who's kind enough to read it ;)

loveeee xx