~Final~

Miracles in December

The first time Kyungsoo appeared to him, it scared the out of Kris.

While he liked to consider himself a person that wasn’t easily startled, the five foot four angel had shaken him to his very core. How often were people actually visited by their guardian angel? How many people actually believed in those things anyway? Kris certainly wasn’t one of them, at least not till he met Kyungsoo anyway.

He’d been in the middle of popping a zit on his chin when he felt something or someone standing behind him. Instead of turning around, he looked in the mirror and saw a boy leaning against the wall with a pensive look on his face. In hindsight Kris was glad that he had emptied his bladder earlier because he would’ve certainly pissed himself. “Humans are so weird.” Kyungsoo had sighed after a few moments of stifled silence, which only further frightened the other man.

Now to clarify, Kris automatically assumed that Kyungsoo was something other than human because his clothes were abnormally white and there was a slight light that surrounded him. Why, do you ask, would Kris just assume Kyungsoo was not human from just those details? Well truthfully, he didn’t gone on those facts alone. He also noticed that something was just off about the boy. Call Kris corny or whatever, but looking at him felt the equivalent of looking at fresh white sheets or something equally as untainted or fresh.

Anyway, appearances and feelings aside, Kris knew there was no way in hell anyone could get into his penthouse without him knowing about it, so this ‘boy’ had to be other worldly or one ballsy thief. What thief wore all white and actively approached the person whose home they were burglarizing? Maybe a dumb one, but that wasn’t the vibe the boy was giving off.

So many thoughts ran through his head when the words thoughtlessly flew from his mouth. “Who the are you?” Kris demanded, holding the towel at his waist as he jumped away from the person. “First of all, watch your language in my presence. I swear all of you humans are so vulgar.” He said, walking more towards Kris, who let out an uncharacteristic high pitched squeal. The boy stopped walking towards him and laughed. While he did that, Kris took the time to marvel at the beautiful sound. Unlike any laugh he’d ever heard, Kris could’ve sworn it something akin to bells tinkling. Now he was sure that this person wasn’t human. He was too perfect. Besides his really pure aura, really wide brown eyes and adorably small stature, the boy had a cute laugh. “Ah, I’m sorry to have startled you Wu Yi Fan, I’m your guardian angel, Kyungsoo. You can call me D.O for short, if you’d like.” Maybe instead of thinking about how interesting Kyungsoo’s laugh had sounded, maybe Kris should’ve been thinking about what the boy had said to him. When it finally filtered through his mind, Kris relaxed a little bit, though he was still skeptical. “What do you mean you’re my guardian angel? I don’t even believe in god, what the ?” Kyungsoo grimaced and rolled his eyes before he gave Kris another once over. “I’ve already warned you about your language, please don’t let it happen again and does it really matter? You should be glad the big guy up stairs is looking out for you. I’ve seen the way you live and I can say neither him nor I am impressed. He decided you needed an intervention of sorts.” At that point Kris wasn’t as freaked out anymore and he actually listened to what Kyungsoo was saying.

“Well as nice as all of this information is, why did you decide to show up in my bathroom? I’m not exactly decent, which is surely against your rules or code or whatever.” Kris finally replied back, standing up at his full height. The angel regarded him with disdain and shrugged before he walked out the bathroom and slammed the door behind him. “Get decent, then come out here. We have some things to discuss.” Kris reluctantly answered with a confirming noise before he went back to staring at himself in the mirror. He quickly stepped into his underwear and pajamas, then he walked into his bedroom. Kyungsoo was sitting on his bed staring at the dirty magazines next to him in disgust. Embarrassed, Kris strolled over to the bed and snatched the magazines before throwing them on his dresser. “So what is it, Mr. Kyungsoo, that you’ve come all the way from heaven to speak to me about?” Kris asked, sitting in a chair across from his bed. Kyungsoo stood up and dusted off his pants as if Kris’ home was dirty while he narrowed his eyes. “You know as well as I do that you haven’t been living right. I’m here to straighten out your awful ways.”, “And what ways are those?” Kris asked with a playful smirk on his face. “You just dumped your last three girlfriends through your secretary. You’ve neglected to visit your family, especially your mother, for years. Want me to continue? I have a long list. We could be here all night.” Kris shook his head and his brow furrowed. Now Kyungsoo was speaking plenty of truth and it was weird for him. He had recently broken up with Jongah through his secretary, Tao, who was indeed no stranger to the task. He also hadn’t been to visit his family due to work, though if he was honest with himself, it was because he didn’t feel like hearing his relatives comment on his lack of interest in marriage and children. All they ever did was insult him and he was much happier without having to deal with them over the holidays, which were supposed to be a relaxing for everyone. “Just in case you were wondering, I can read your mind Wu Yi Fan. Also thank you, I know I’m cute.” Kyungsoo said out of nowhere, once again startling Kris. Though Kyungsoo’s voice wasn’t loud, it was stern and clear enough for Kris to hear through the silence and thoughts in his head. Against protocol, Kyungsoo walked over to Kris and patted him on the shoulder as the taller man blushed furiously. “I understand how you feel, but your mother loves you and she deserves to see your face at least once a year. She’s getting older and you need to spend as much time with her as possible.” Kris nodded slowly and lowered his head to the floor, hanging his head low in shame. “Your heart should tell you what needs to be done.” Just like that, Kris was alone in his home. If it hadn’t happened again, Kris would’ve thought Kyungsoo was an allusion.

After his first encounter with Kyungsoo, Kris walked around in a paranoid daze, always expecting Kyungsoo to manifest behind him. The first week was hell and Kris had to admit that by the second week, his paranoia had subsided, so he began to relax. Looking back maybe Kris should’ve keep himself on guard, because as if Kyungsoo sensed him drop his guard, he manifested again.

The second time Kris saw Kyungsoo, it wasn’t nearly as terrifying as their first encounter. This time he was seated in his office and with Christmas quickly approaching, his hand hovered over the mouse pad, debating if he wanted to purchase a plane ticket to China. The night before, his mother had called to inquire about his holiday plans and he hadn’t given her a definite answer. Even now he was battling with himself and Kyungsoo’s last words. If the whole thing hadn’t been a fever dream or hallucination, then Kris knew he needed to go home this year. It’d been on his mind for the past two weeks.

“Click it.” A voice demanded and when Kris looked behind him, he saw Kyungsoo standing behind him with his hands on his hips. Though his clothes were different, they were still pristine white. “I’m really not supposed to demand that you do anything because that’s not my job, but you’re so freaking dense.” Kyungsoo added. As if something else was controlling his body, Kris clicked the button and confirmed his flight and itinerary. Just as quickly as it had come, it passed and Kris regained control of his body. “You did that didn’t you?” Kyungsoo directed his gaze elsewhere and walked around the office, examining the artwork, pictures and awards that adorned the walls. “For someone who doesn’t keep in contact with their family, there sure are a lot of pictures of them. I’m surprised you have this picture of your niece up here, you hate small children.” Kris found himself nodding before he stood up. “How do you-“, “Guardian angel remember? It’s only been two weeks. Surely your memory isn’t that short? If it is, I blame your drinking habits.” Kyungsoo answered quickly, already reading his mind before he finished his sentence. “May I ask why you keep popping up out the blue like this Mr. Kyungsoo?”, “Just making sure you’re behaving and doing what you’re supposed to do. If you don’t, I’ll get in trouble and you don’t want to make him angry.” Kris nodded like he understood the situation, even though it was obvious he didn’t. Kyungsoo played with the pens on his desk and glanced at him for a little while before he disappeared again, though this time he didn’t say a word. Just as quickly as he had come, he was gone and Kris found himself feeling a bit lonely as he looked at his computer screen.

A week before Christmas, Kris stood in his large closet debating which clothes he would pack for his trip home. Not wanting to seem stuck up, Kris decided to forgo packing any suits or overly showy clothes. He knew his sister would ridicule him endlessly for being a showoff if he did. Once he packed the bag with jeans, sweaters and coats, he moved to call Tao. While his secretary expressed his discontent of Kris taking the rest of December, as well as the first week of January off, Kris made up his mind. Since he hadn’t been home in a while, he was going to spend the upcoming holidays with his mother and his family. As promised, Tao had his ticket sitting on the kitchen counter in his condo and Kris held it in his large hands. For some reason or another, his thoughts drifted to Jongah and he sat down at the island in his kitchen. The entire house seemed empty without her presence and while Kris didn’t want to admit it to himself or anyone else, he missed her. He missed her cooking, her stuff in the bathroom, and the smell of her perfume on his bed sheets. With those thoughts, Kris ambled to his room and got into bed, drifting off to sleep.

When his plane landed and his mother greeted him at the gate, he felt like a burden had been lifted off of his shoulders. She hugged him tightly and smothered him in kisses, repeating how glad he had come. Kris wouldn’t have admitted out loud, but he was glad that divine intervention had gotten him here, in his mother’s arms. Though the woman was small and felt frail in his arms, he let her squeeze him to her heart’s delight. “Just wait until we get back to the house, all of your cousins and their kids are here too. It’s so nice having a full house again, I’ve almost forgotten what it’s like. Especially considering that since your father’s death, no one’s been in that house with me.” That statement landed on Kris like a punch to the stomach and he nodded weakly, allowing her to babble on. She only stopped once their cab stopped in front of the house and despite his protests; she paid the fare and tip. “My treat dear.” She said, pulling money out her coin purse.

The door opened to reveal the house was indeed full of family members he hadn’t seen since he was a teenager, and those years had long passed considering that Kris was pushing 35. His niece immediately recognized him from pictures and toddled up to him, garbling his Chinese name. The intense dislike for small children he had temporarily dissipated and he bent down to pick her up. Her short chubby arms moved to wrap around his neck and he found himself not hating the gesture. Yi Bai or rather, Angie, his sister, stared from afar, watching his brother react to the little girl. Unfortunately Kris almost dropped the little girl when he saw Kyungsoo seated next to Angie in his typical attire, though there were elements of green and red. No one noticed his folly and he quickly gave the little girl to her mother before hurrying into the empty kitchen. Kyungsoo followed behind him with a huge grin and Kris growled in frustration. “Li You is so cute, no one could blame you for enjoying her.” Kyungsoo said as soon as they were alone, already taking initiative to read Kris’ mind. “I thought I wouldn’t see you anymore now that I’ve done what you wanted me to do.” Kris grumbled, running a hand through his hair. In order to not seem crazy to his relatives, he traveled further into the house, going to his old room. Just as he’d left it, nothing was out of place. He sat on his bed and Kyungsoo regarded him with another grin. “You still owe an apology to Jongah. She loves you by the way. I thought I’d let you in on that secret.” Kris’ eyes widened his eyes in shock and he frowned. There was no way Jongah loved him. The whole reason why they had dated was because they understood each other’s needs and expectations. She knew he wasn’t looking for a serious relationship and when she started getting too serious and kept asking about his whereabouts and his friends, he’d had enough. “Just admit you love her idiot.” Kyungsoo sighed, sitting next to Kris. The bed barely dipped under his weight and it forced Kris to remember that Kyungsoo wasn’t like him. “Here.” Somehow Kyungsoo had gotten Kris’ phone out his pocket and was now holding the device in front of his face. Unable to actually disobey Kyungsoo’s request when the boy was sitting right in front of him, he dialed the familiar number and waited for it to ring. When a groggy voice picked up, he nearly choked. If not for the reassuring squeeze Kyungsoo gave his shoulder, he would’ve hung up immediately.

Within a few moments, their conversation took a turn in a positive direction and Kyungsoo stood from the bed. His job was just about done. Now he could go back home and resume watching Kris from afar, rather than so close and personal. God knew how hard it was for him to watch, but nevertheless Kyungsoo was glad he was able to guide Kris back to the straight and narrow path. Maybe one day they’d meet up again? Just as he was about to leave, Kris’ phone call ended and he stood up from the bed also. Before Kyungsoo knew what was happening, Kris leaned over and hugged him. “Thank you so much. I don’t know what I would’ve done without you Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo kind of stiffened in the hug, but enjoyed it mentally. It was against the rules to initiate physical intimacy with a client, so Kyungsoo was glad that Kris had hugged him. Surely Kyungsoo wouldn’t be scolded too much for enjoying the gesture? When Kris let go of Kyungsoo, the angel knew he had to leave quickly or risk showing feelings that weren’t appropriate. He bid Kris a quiet goodbye and disappeared. For a while Kris stood in his darkened room and stared at the spot where Kyungsoo had stood. Eventually he found his way back to the front room and mingled with his family. While the marriage questions still came up, this time he had a reasonable answer. Before he exited his room, he resolved to date Jongah more seriously when he got back to Seoul and made sure to tell his family he had a girl waiting for him. No one was more pleased than his mother and she demanded that next year he bring the girl in question. Kris reluctantly agreed, making add that he’d ask if their relationship lasted that long.

When Kyungsoo got back home, he was greeted by his best friends: Luhan and Minseok. “How lucky are you to be assigned to watch over your first love?” Minseok asked, collecting Kyungsoo into a tight hug. Despite the fact that the vigor was more than Kris’ hug, the action felt hollow and nowhere near as warm. Kyungsoo accepted the hug anyway and nodded slowly. “It’s funny how he doesn’t remember me though.” Luhan stared at Kyungsoo with a confused expression on his face. Kyungsoo was known to have a warped sense of humor, so it was no surprise he was joking about something painful. “The big man wants us to go oversee some newbies, so we’ll let you get settled in Kyungsoo.” Luhan announced at last, picking up immediately that Kyungsoo needed to be alone. While Minseok saw being assigned to watch over someone you once loved in life as lucky or nice, it turned out to be one of the most painful things an angel could be put through. Luhan knew all too well because he’d been assigned to watch over Minseok when he was alive and due to a special request on his part, Minseok had no memory of Luhan or their previous relationship once Minseok died.

The minute Minseok and Luhan left, Kyungsoo dropped to his knees and clasped his hands together, in prayer. Though tears streamed down his face and his heart throbbed painfully in his chest, words of thanks streamed from his mouth. “Thank you so much for making this happen. I know you said it would hurt, but I had no idea. I’ll atone for not listening and insisting but I’m still thankful. He got to see how much I cared for him and I can only pray that he makes the right choices from now on. Would it also be too much to ask for him to have a full life? At least one fuller than the one I lived.” Once the tears stopped pouring from his eyes and his knees began to ache, Kyungsoo got up and wiped his eyes on sleeve of his sweater. One last thank you was muttered before Kyungsoo followed in the direction Minseok and Luhan had gone.

 

“Can you believe that kid was killed in the huge crash that happened last week? I heard he was a little younger than us, but was in some of our classes. Do Kyungsoo was his name I think.” Kris shrugged at Baekhyun’s words and sat down in a desk. He had far more things to worry about than some underclassman’s death. Honestly he didn’t even know the kid, so he had no reason to mourn.

 

 

I hope everyone had a happy holiday season and I wish for everyone to have a happy new year :D One of my resolutions is to write more this upcoming year so I guess that's a treat for you guys? No this time, but enjoy the angsty fluff right?