1/1

Working on New Year's Eve

                Yongguk stared down the clock at the other end of the store, urging the hands to move faster. It was 11:40 on one of the biggest partying nights of the year and Yongguk was stuck working.

                He sighed as he looked around the convenient store, looking for something to do, but no one had come in the store in over an hour. There should have been a rush to get alcohol, but this close to midnight, everyone was at home or at the club. It also didn’t help that this store was out of the way.

                ‘Of course I’m stuck alone and bored on the last day of the year.’ Yongguk drummed his fingers on the counter. He was itching to make music, but he had forgotten his paper and headphones at home, not that he could really use them in the store in case there was a customer. Usually Yongguk would still write down lyrics or interesting phrases people said while in his store. He didn’t mind it being slow since he had time to write or do homework during the school year, but this was too quiet. He couldn’t even text his friends because they were at the club and wouldn’t be checking their phones until they returned home.

                Yongguk started pacing, then moved to rearranging the candy near the register, and next even began to clean the coffee machine. The door dinged announcing that a customer walked in and Yongguk almost didn’t believe it, thinking he had imagined the sound until he saw the woman walk to the counter.

                “I’ll be right there!” Yongguk shouted a little louder than necessary. He scrambled to take off his cleaning gloves and then rushed to the counter. “How can I help you?”

                She smiled politely, “I just need this and if you could hurry…”

                “Of course,” Yongguk rung up the bottle of champagne. “Cutting close aren’t you?”

                “Everywhere else is sold out,” she answered while paying.

                “Oh…”Yongguk handed her the receipt.

                “Happy New Years,” She said as she ran out the door.

                Then, Yongguk felt even more alone than before. It was like the sudden noise made the current silence even more pronounced. He groaned as he slowly walked back to the coffee machine, “Back to the grind.” He didn’t even laugh at his own pun instead slumped against the back counter even more.

                ‘Dear God, I’m turning into Daehyun… next thing you know I’ll never shut up, needing to talk to people all the time because of this traumatic experience.’

                It didn’t take long for Yongguk to finish cleaning the coffee machine and soon he was back at the register, sitting on the counter and staring at the clock. 11:55pm. ‘This has to be the worst New Year’s Eve ever… and that includes the time Daehyun’s date vomited on me right at midnight.’

*DING*

                Yongguk looked over to see an attractive male about his age walk into the store. The man meet Yongguk’s eyes and smiled.

                “Welcome,” Yongguk said and hopped off the counter.

                “Good evening,” the man said in a deep voice that contradicted with his pretty face. “You are the unlucky one who got the New Year’s night shift?”

                “You are the unlucky one who had to do a beer run less than 5 minutes to midnight?” Yongguk fired back.

                The man shrugged and walked closer to Yongguk, “No, I was at school practicing for a recital I have tomorrow and lost track of time.”

                Yongguk narrowed his eyes, “Practicing on New Year’s Eve?”

                The man laughed and pushed his black bangs out of his face, “I take music very seriously.”

                Yongguk nodded, “I understand that. I’m a music major.”

                “Really?” The man looked at him, full of intrigue. “What a coincidence, I’m a music major too, specializing in… well I haven’t picked which instrument yet.”

                “Nice,” Yongguk smiled, “So…. What brings you to a convenient store this late on New Year’s Even then?”

                “Well, you see,” the other was now standing across from Yongguk on the other side of the counter. “There was absolutely no one on campus and it is New Year’s Eve.”

                “Yeah…”

                The man smiled, his features making him look like a cute bunny. Yongguk tried not to stare, counting seconds and made sure to blink after every seven.

                “It is New Year’s Eve! I need to kiss someone at midnight!”

                Yongguk frowned, “Why?”

                The man’s smile faltered, “Why?”

                “I don’t see the point.”

                “Because… because it is an important kiss and one that can only happen once a year. The New Year’s kiss!”

                “Alright, I can accept that,” Yongguk nodded, “So… why are you here?”

                “Because it was the closest store from the college and I knew someone would have to be here.” He leaned on the counter.

                Yongguk frowned “But no one is here.”

                “You are.”

                A light bulb went on in Yongguk’s head. “Oh!”

                The man laughed and Yongguk could have drowned in the sound.

                “Yes, so… will you be my kissing partner?” He winked.

                “I don’t even know your name.”

                He outstretched his hand, “My name is Himchan.”

                Yongguk clasped it and shook, “Yongguk.”

                “So, Yongguk, what do you say?”

                “Well…” Yongguk looked at the clock and saw he had five seconds to decide. He shrugged, “Why not?”

                “Great!” Himchan clapped his hands together and turned to look at the clock as well. “OH! 3--2…. 1….”

                “Happy New Years!” They both said at the same time.

                Himchan turned around quickly and pulled Yongguk close, but allowed Yongguk to cross the remaining space himself, which Yongguk appreciated. Himchan’s lips were soft against Yongguk’s plump lips. Fire crackers could be heard in the distance, but it barely registered in the two men’s ears as Yongguk raised his hands up to cup Himchan’s face, enjoying the kiss more than he thought he would.  

                They parted slowly, eyes fluttering open just as slow in contrast with Yongguk’s wildly beating heart.

                Himchan finally smiled, “That had to have been one of the best New Year’s kisses I’ve ever had.”

                “Yeah…”

                Himchan chuckled, “Well, I have to get back to practicing and I’m sure you’ll get customers in here soon for alcohol refreshments.”

                “Right…”

                “Maybe I’ll see you around,” Himchan winked before walking to the door, leaving a still stunned Yongguk behind.

                “I hope so,” Yongguk was only able whisper once Himchan had walked out the door. He watched as Himchan waved to him once more before getting into his car and driving off.

                Once gone, Yongguk was flooded with things he should have done or things he should have said. ‘At least we go to the same school if he said it was close by—‘ Yongguk frowned. ‘Wait… there are three other stores between the school and here. Why…’

                Yongguk looked down at the counter as he thought about his encounter with Himchan. His eyes widened when he saw a piece of folded paper. The paper was already in his hand before he could think about picking it up.

                                ‘Might have lied about just picking this store randomly. I heard you complaining to our mutual friend Youngjae the other day about having to work. Thought this was a great chance to get to talk to you.  Hit me up if you want to talk more. 092-xxx-xxxx

                                                                XOXO

                                                                                Himchan Kim’

                Yongguk couldn’t help but laugh. He smiled down at the paper as he it lovingly. ‘This has turned out to be one of the best New Year’s. I guess I will be seeing you again soon, Himchan.’ Yongguk thought as his hand slowly reached towards his phone.

                


a/n: Happy New Year's Eve from Japan!! I'll try posting two more stories within the next two days 

pairings picked from the comments on my blog post! <3

hoped you liked it and thanks for reading!!