Chapter 1

Manipulation

Today started with a text. Most good days do. I got out of bed and reached for my phone. I kept it beside my bed so when brats like Kibum tried to text me I could reply. My deodorant clattered to the floor to rest beside the leather jacket I had dropped there last night. I opened my phone to pull up the text. In typical Key fashion, it was straight to the point.

 

To: Taebae

From: Bratty child

We need to talk

 

That’s all it said. No information about the topic, when to have this talk, or even why it was so important. But I knew already, it was Key, there was only one reason he would leave a text like that. He had a proposition for me. That was the only reason he would say something so criptic.

 

I texted back a simple message, “back door, 30 min.” Short and to the point. That was how we liked it, no one could pin anything on us if we never wrote it down, and then denied like crazy.

 

While I ate breakfast, I started imagining what Key could possibly have in mind this time. Maybe he knows someone who has a copy of test answers. Maybe he wants tickets to some fancy party, and need some one to do some extra persuading for him.

 

A car horn beeped. Minho was here. He is a grade older then I am. And as I’m his best friend, so he gives me a ride to school everyday. I hop into the car; both Minho and Henry, Minho’s current boyfriend and our longtime partner in crime, are waiting for me. I slide into the back to join Henry. “Hey.”

 

“Hey, Tae.” We chatted about useless thing for a while. Then Minho had a wonderfully stupid idea, most of our ideas were wonderfully stupid though. But hey, they were fun. “Dare you to kiss that freshman. You know, the one with the hair.” He makes a gesture that describes absolutely nothing. Seeing my blank look, he adds, “Rainbow boy.” I knew that kid, he loves rainbows, and even his hair looks like a rainbow. He tries to hang out with the wannabe bad boy, Jongin, who calls himself Sly or something else equally weird. Rumor has it that they are dating.

 

“Ummm… Rainbow boy, don’t you think he might go crying home to his parents? Also, Siwon can be really possessive of me.”

 

“Yup! That’s the plan, and don’t worry bout Siwon, he can get over it.” Minho grins a manically grin, promising misery for anyone unlucky enough to be on its bad side.

 

“Sure, why not. But, Henry has to kiss the new guy. The Chinese one.”

 

“Zoumer? Zemmi? Whatever his name is. Sure.” Henry joins the conversation finally, his innocent face lighting up with sadistic pleasure. “10 bucks says he’ll go crying to a teacher.”

 

“Deal.”

 

“You’re on.”

 

Once we arrived at school I detached myself form the group (They were busy doing relationship stuff – making sure no one would have issues with the kissy kissy stuff.) and went to the back door for our meeting.


On Saturday I had attended a school function as a speaker. They wanted me to speak as I was one of the candidates for valedictorian. While inwardly scoffing at the ‘honor’ bestowed upon me, I gave a ‘Key style’ talk. It went just as well as it should have: ‘Angelic’ Kibum gave an perfect talk about the value of education in young minds and thus convinced many to give up their hard earned money for the chance that their student might turn out like just like me. After enduring much praise with a angelic smile and easy charm, I went outside. Out there I met up with Heechul the local supplier. Anything you wanted, he could provide you with, for a price. Taemin and I relied on his services for test answers and pressure point for the rest of our class.

 

“Hey babycakes.” Heechul tooks a drag of his cigarette, and let out a puff of smoke in my face. “Want a puff?” Heechul loves to flirt with people, and thinks I’m a perfect target. It’s probably because of my little angel image. Even if he knows the person I really am, he still gets pulled in, I’ve been working on my act for years now though. “So, sweet-tart, what can I do for you?”

 

“I was wondering, what do you know about Suho and Yixing?” I asked, ignoring his offer entirely. Suho was the class president and Yixing was often seen with him. I’ve been digging for info about them. Having the school pres on your side can be quite useful.

 

“Suho and Yixing, going big now are we? What do you want this info for?” Heechul asked, his eyes lighting up at the idea of a new scheme.

“Sorry, Heenim-babe, but I don’t need you for this one. Maybe next time.”

 

He looked on the verge of sulking, but I knew him better then that. “Heechul, give me the info now.”

 

“Fine, but it comes with a price.” Heechul’s smirk was back in full force, I had no idea what he had in mind this time, but he was generally rather predicable. y pictures, dance choreography, modeling for his boyfriend’s fashion line, and others of the same type was he normally asked for.

 

“Heenim, I know that. Give me the info before I tell ‘Hanny’ that you call me baby.” He gulped, his face turning white. Hangen was rather possessive, and did not approve of his boyfriend’s flirtatious ways.

 

“Fine, Bummie.” He pulled out his phone and scrolled through till he reached the pictures he wanted. A quick text later, the pictures were on my phone.

 

“Cool, text me with your demand once you make up your mind. Or better yet, make Taeminnie do something this time. Maybe, underwear modeling, you know he loves that.” With a wink and a smirk I was off, already wondering what Taemin would have to do for this information.


“Hey .” Key greeted me, casually leaning on the wall behind the school.

 

“Hey, sweet cheeks.” I replied, ruffling my hair in that way everyone fawned over. His eyes carefully tracked the motion. “So, what’s so important this time? I swear Key, if it involves hair dye, I walking away right now. We will not have a repeat of last time.” We both cringed, remembering the infamous incident. 

 

“Nope. But, Suho, our class pres, is dating Yixing.” My face crumpled into a babyish pout.

 

“But, Kibummie, everyone knows that. It’s the worst kept secret in school.” I whined, he should know better then to pull this . We can’t be seen together in school, and only meet when we have to discuss something important.

 

“Yeah, but does anyone else have pictures of them in the music room?” He pulled out his phone, showing off all of my newly acquired images. They were quite the sordid lot. If a teacher saw them, they would be forced to take not only the title of class pres but also his scholarship.

 

“Wow, I would never have thought Suho would bottom. He never really struck me as the type.”

 

“You’d think you would know, even your gaydar can fail.” Key smirked.

 

“Well, you could stand to learn a few things from Yixing. Check out that third pic again.” I winked.

 

“Allright, what does Suho have that we want? His dad in the head of a really good collage, should we arrange scholarships? Oh, and Yixing knows that actor from the movie you loved, should we meet him?”  Key’s face lit up at all the possibilities.

 

“Maybe, maybe. But, I was thinking something better.”  He broke into a big grin, waiting for me to catch on.

 

“Hmmm….” And then it hit me, “No way, you want the other solo spot on the dance team.” Yixing, Key, a few others and I were on the competitive dance team. There were only two solo positions, and they were both highly contested. I’ve held one of them for the past three years, and Yixing and Key have both fought over the other one for years.

 

Key’s grin grew wider, “Yep, buddy, between the two us, we can be certain that Yixing won’t be a problem at Dance Team again.”

 

“I like it, let’s do it. So…. Alright, now we get to do the duo dance, again. Do think they will even offer it to us, or will they just give up now. After all you remember last time they tried to make us work together.”

 

“Yeah, cutie pie, I remember, everyone else does too. I’m sure of that. I hope we get to do a duo dance this time. We could be an excellent team this time around. And it’s bout time for us to be seen together. After all, we don’t want to end this year with no new developments. The gossip wheel doesn’t turn itself you know.”

 

“Right, bratty child.” He leaned down and dropped a short kiss on my head. I smiled up at him, then pulled away and started heading back into the school, ignoring the way Key instinctively reached out for me. “Oh, Key?” I turned back.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Don’t be too surprised if all hell is raised today. I’m going to kiss rainbow boy, and Henry will kiss Zhoumi.”

 

“Taaaaeeeee…. Do you have too?” He whined, managing to looked exactly like how I do when I whine. (Not that I do that often or anything...) “I don’t wanna deal with all the fallout. I’m Zhoumi’s mentor. He’ll come to me after.”

 

“One, Key, don’t mock me. Two, yeah, it’s a bet. Three, to be you.”

 

“That’s not what you think. You want to be me.”

 

“Not at school, brat, you know that.” I quickly hushed him. I did not want anyone to hear anything about our arraignment. That could be horrible for both of us. “Anyway act surprised when you hear about it. Kay?”

 

“Fine.” He pouted. “But, I reserve the right to meddle if I want to.”

 

“Sure, but don’t do anything to drastic without a heads up.” I turned and left without looking back.

 


Thanks for reading! ~Nika <3