1/1

Office Romance

                Daehyun strode into his office building, confident smile permanently attached to his face. He was dressed in a grey business suit with a light blue button up shirt underneath and while his shaggy hair was in need of a trim, it was still another amazing look which would probably grow popular among the office.

He waved hello to the receptionist, making sure to make time for all of the employees of the building. Everyone was important and he wanted to treat them as such. Plus, happy employees who thought the CEO noticed them tended to work harder and be more loyal.

                Daehyun’s to-do list ran through his head as he rode the elevator up to the top floor, the 56th floor, but he tried not to think about how high that really was. It was just at the moment when Daehyun was wondering if he was forgetting anything when his cellphone dinged. He pulled it out of his inner coat pocket to see who was messaging him this early.

                From: Himchan

                            Today is the day. Don’t forget what I taught you

                Daehyun groaned and his confident aura slipped, ‘Today?! I don’t think I can do it.’

 

*BEEP*

                From: Himchan

                                DON’T YOU DARE CHICKEN OUT ON ME!

                Daehyun swiveled around, checking all his surroundings quickly, ‘Weird…’ He messaged Himchan back telling him he would try his best. He took a deep breath and then the elevator was opening up on his floor.

With a smile, he exited the elevator. He said hellos and waved at the people in the room, and asked about reports due later. He was confident and definitely the one in charge until he set his eyes on his new secretary. And just like the past three weeks, he felt a bubble float up his chest, spreading warmth throughout his body.

“Good morning, Mr. Jung,” the younger man stood from behind his desk to slightly bow to Daehyun out of respect.

“Good—Good morning, Mr. Choi,” Daehyun pushed out. He paused in front of the secretary’s desk and stared at Junhong, trying to get the words Himchan had been couching him to say out of his mouth.

Junhong looked at his quizzically, “Is there something I can help you with?”

Daehyun could feel himself becoming redder, “No, no I’m good.”

 Daehyun quickly walked the rest of the way into his office and shut the door behind him. He leaned against it and breathed out heavily, “How can I ask him out on a date if I can’t even ask how his morning is going?”

He made his way to his desk, dragging his feet as he went until his plopped down into his plush desk chair. Immediately he went to his e-mail to start his work day. The first mail to pop up was one from Himchan so, of course, he clicked that one first. How could he resist when the subject title was: Open this one first.

‘For when you chicken out the first time…’

Daehyun chuckled, ‘My friend does know me well.’ He read through the list and descriptions which were reminders for tips and tricks Himchan had been teaching him. This lead to Daehyun staring at the office messaging system with a message to Junhong open.

Typing the message wasn’t the hard part, it was clicking the SEND button. Another five minutes of pondering his decision went by until his phone dinged, making him jump and accidentally click the mouse on SEND. Daehyun internally shrieked and fumbled around at his desk, worried about how the other would react to his message. Not long Junhong messaged back.

You: Mr. Choi, how is your morning going?

Choi_Junhong: I’m doing well, Mr. Jung, just a little tired. How are you?

Daehyun smiled brightly. If Himchan was there at that moment he would have kissed him. He was giddy with excitement, but quickly pulled himself together trying to think of a response. His eyes wandered over to Himchan’s list and soon enough he had an idea.

You: I am quite tired myself. Perhaps, you would like to get coffee with me later?

Daehyun his a deep breath and waited as he nervously cracked his knuckles. It was a long wait, he almost ran out of air, but finally his computer dinged with a new message.

Choi_Junhong: Why wait? Let’s go now!

His heart stopped; his jaw dropped. ‘Now?? But…but we are at work! How can we run to get coffee now? We can’t BOTH go to StaXX, there is work to be done!’

A knock at the door interrupted his thoughts. “Yes?”

Junhong poked his head in the room, “Sir, are you ready?”

“I—I suppose,” Daehyun gulped and nervously got out of his chair.

Daehyun tried to walk normally to the door, but he felt like he was learning how to walk all over again.

“Are you okay, Sir?”

“Yes,” Daehyun coughed, “Yes, Mr. Choi. I’m just tired.”

“It is a good thing we have good coffee close by then, isn’t it?” Junhong smiled.

Daehyun frowned slightly, “Yes, it is…” ‘StaXX is about a 10 minute walk… it was really considered close?’

“What were you doing that made you so tired?” Junhong asked as they left Daehyun’s office.

“I…” Daehyun thought back on the night and how he had talked with Himchan about ways to woo the younger man and perhaps drank a little too much alcohol. “was working on paperwork?”

“You are such a hardworker, Mr. Jung,” Junhong hummed in amazement, not hearing the questioning tone Daehyun used.

“Wh—what were you doing?” Daehyun stuttered, still not used to talking to Junhong.

“I was at a club dancing with my friend Jongup,” Junhong answered happily.

Daehyun’s eyes widened, “On a Wednesday night?”

Junhong shrugged, “He needed to get out and wanted company. I can’t tell him no.”

“I see…” It was then Daehyun realized they weren’t going towards the elevator, instead taking a right hand turn. He scrunched his eyebrows together in confusion and was about to ask where they were going until he saw the break area. His first outing fantasy shattered in his mind.

“We are so lucky that the coffee here is actually good!” Junhong beamed as they reached the coffee machine. “At my last job, the coffee tasted like tar; it wasn’t at all drinkable.”

“Yes, so lucky,” Daehyun mumbled.

“Here, let me pour you a cup,” Junhong offered.

“Thank you,” Daehyun said in a daze. ‘Don’t let it get to you! You have to try again! I am attractive and anyone would be lucky to have me.’

As if to prove his point, while Junhong was filling up the cups and adding sugar, Daehyun looked over at a female office worker and nodded hello with a bright smile. Instantly she flushed and with a quick nod she fled the area. Next, he looked over at the delivery man and once catching his eye he winked, prompting the man to walk into a trash can.

Yeah, I still got it,’ Daehyun turned his attention back to Junhong who was passing him his coffee.

Daehyun accepted the drink from Junhong and took a deep breath, “So, going to clubs… do you do that often?”

Junhong nodded as he took a sip of his coffee, “At least twice a week.”

“That is impressive,” Daehyun said, “So I take it you like to dance.”

“Like to? I love it!” Junhong smiled.

“I’m not surprised the way you look. Very trim,” Daehyun’s face paled as he realized what he said. His compliment seemed creepy, especially since Junhong wore pant suits, not an outfit where it is easy to see one’s body type or legs. Not that Daehyun looked at Junhong’s legs often, it just so happened that when Junhong sat in his office taking notes it was easy to see the outline of his legs.

Junhong chuckled, “Thank you, Sir. You don’t look half bad yourself, do you work out?”

Without a moment to catch his breath Daehyun was thrown a compliment that threw him off his game. “Ummm… yes, actually I do. After work sometimes or on my lunch breaks.”

Daehyun’s cellphone dinged as they began their walk back to their desks.

From: 1800Flowers.com

                This is your confirmation text that

    your arrangement was delivered.

                ‘Arrangement?’

                Junhong’s gasp brought him back to the present.

                Daehyun looked up to see a huge bouquet of flowers sitting on his secretary’s desk. ‘Who… oh my god…’

                Junhong rushed over to his desk and checked the flowers, a mix of daisies, forget-me-nots, and yellow roses. Many people had come to his desk out of curiosity, wanting to know who sent him the flowers.

                Daehyun cleared his throat to grab everyone’s attention, “Back to work everyone.”

                They scurried off, but not without gossiping amongst themselves. Daehyun tried looking over the bouquet to find the card, but Junhong found it first.

                Junhong gasped again as he read the card, “Mr. Jung, this is beautiful.”

                “Yes… I—“

                “I feel like the most appreciated secretary in the world. Did you suggest we go to coffee so that these could be delivered without me seeing them?” Junhong asked excitedly.

                Daehyun deflated, not able to break Junhong’s view and possibly get charged for harassment, “That is exactly it. I thought you might like them.”

                With Junhong still smiling over the card, Daehyun took one last look at the flowers on the desk and walked into his office. He slumped down into his chair and rapidly sent off a text message to Himchan, asking how he could have possibly allowed him to drunk send a bouquet of flowers to Junhong.

                It wasn’t long until he received a reply.

                From: Himchan

                                But it was adorable! Not your ordinary bouquet.

                    Plus, I made sure the spelling was correct.

                                Daisies because they match how natural and

                    happy you are. Forget-me-nots because I never

                    want you to leave my side. Yellow roses because I

                    hope we can become friends before anything else.

                To: Himchan

                                I’m going to kill you

What came next was a barrage of disbelieving messages from Himchan about how Daehyun chickened out on him. Daehyun tried to defend himself, but it was hard when the evidence was stacking up against him. Of course, Himchan was getting a good laugh at Daehyun’s poor experience.

Himchan eventually called Daehyun so they could talk and do work at the same time.

“I can’t believe he thought you meant go to the break room together,” Himchan held back his latest round of laughter.

“Shut up,” Daehyun grumbled. “I don’t understand what is wrong! I’m never this clumsy.”

“Well, that be because you actually like this one.”

“Of course I do. I liked all of them,” Daehyun answered sharply.

“This much?”

“I… well…” Daehyun’s confidence in his answer wavered, “I suppose not… Junhong does seem a bit different.”

“I think you actually like this one. This isn’t like Baekhyun where you just wanted to get into his pants.

Daehyun stopped typing and really thought about the past people he had dated or liked.

“You act differently around this one.”

“I—“ A knock at the door interrupted him. “Come in.”

“Sir, I have the paperwork for the meeting later and the portfolio for the newest project Mr. Yoo has been working on.” Junhong entered the room happily and strode to the desk with the papers in hand.

“Th—thank you, Mr. Choi.” Daehyun took the papers and immediately looked away.

“I told you, you act differently,” Himchan’s snickering echoed in Daehyun’s ear.

Daehyun looked up at Junhong, worried he heard until he remembered he was wearing a Bluetooth. He scowled at himself before smiling up at Junhong, trying to prove Himchan wrong, even though the older man couldn’t see him. “Thank you for your work, Mr. Choi. What is my schedule like for the rest of the day?”

Junhong pulled his phone out of his pocket and started listing off a few meetings and projects that needed to be done today.

“You aren’t convincing me,” Himchan said dryly. “Tell him he looks nice today.”

“What?” Daehyun asked in surprise.

“I said the board meeting was pushed back ‘til next week. Is that a problem, Sir?” Junhong looks startled.

“No, no. I’m sorry I forgot. I was getting prepared here,” Daehyun motioned to his screen which was definitely not showing the board meeting itinerary, because Junhong couldn’t see it, so his lie was holding up. Himchan’s laughter in his ear was not helping the blush that was threatening to spread across his face.

“Oh okay. Well, that is everything,” Zelo put his phone away, “Did you need anything else?”

“No, yes—I mean,” Daehyun paused to compose himself, “you look nice today, Mr. Choi.”

Junhong smiled, “Thank you, Sir. You look good every day, so I can’t really say if you look better than usual, but that is a nice color on you.”

“I…thank you,” Daehyun squeaked out. Junhong left and Daehyun was so lost in his world that he zoned out Himchan until the man started screaming about how much he disliked being ignored.

“Sorry, Himchan. I got lost there for a minute.”

“Pull yourself together,” Himchan huffed. “I’m assuming he left?”

“Yes,” Daehyun sighed. “I don’t know why I’m acting like this.”

“It is refreshing, actually.”

“What?”

“Alright, listen up! You need to go over that list of lines I sent you so you can ask this boy out. Practice them and just say it.” Himchan said.

Daehyun scoffed, “Himchan I’m his boss! I can’t just ask him out on a date like that! Coffee is one thing, but an actual date…”

Himchan laughed, “I never said date. I just said ‘out’. Daehyun, you are in too deep.”

Daehyun groaned, “Shut up.”

After listening to Himchan lecture him for another 10 minutes on how to ask him out, even though Daehyun had a lot of experience and knew everything Himchan was saying, finally, Daehyun hung up.  He pondered over what to do about his situation, but then it was lunch time and Daehyun realized he had wasted quite a bit of the day daydreaming about his crush. He ate in his room and got down to business.

Hours went by without Daehyun noticing until he took a break to check his phone and noticed 20 messages from Himchan asking about his progress. It was almost the end of the work day and Daehyun knew he would only have a little more time before Junhong went home for the day.

Daehyun peaked out the window of his office and saw Junhong still sitting at his desk working. With a sigh Daehyun stood up straight, grabbed the doorknob, and then let go quickly, retreating farther into the room, and began to pace around his room.

“I like you, please go on a—“ Daehyun scoffed, “I’m not begging.”

“Would you like to join me for dinner—“ Daehyun groaned, “He might think I’m inviting him to a meeting.”

He continued his pacing and speaking to himself, trying to find the best way to ask out his secretary.

“Mr. Choi, I know this isn’t professional, but I would love to take you to a dinner—with just the two of us.” Daehyun paused, mulling over the statement before shaking his head. “Mr. Choi, would you do me the honor of going on a date with me, perhaps to dinner?”

Daehyun nodded and mumbled, “Not bad.”

“Yes.” Daehyun’s blood ran cold as he turned to the door. Junhong was standing there, smiling, his eyes glittering, and his hands clenching his phone tightly.

“How long have you been standing there?” Daehyun asked hesitantly.

Junhong scratched his neck nervously, “Only a little while… since you asked me to a movie and then realized you wouldn’t be able to talk to me.”

Daehyun’s jaw dropped, “That is quite a long time…”

“I was waiting for you to pick an event. You’ve used dinner now 5 times in a row, although I must confess, I’m glad you didn’t go with the dessert buffet or the dog competition show.” Zelo chuckled.

Daehyun nervously laughed, but looked up at Zelo hopefully, “But, you are saying yes?”

“Yes,” Junhong beamed.

Daehyun slowly walked forward, “To a date—an actual date. Not a meeting or brainstorming event.”

Junhong chuckled, “Yes, an actual date.”

Daehyun crossed the rest of the room and hugged Junhong, “It’s a miracle.” His eyes shot open and he sprung away, apologizing for his inappropriate behavior.

Junhong shook his head and hugged Daehyun, “It is okay. I like you too! I wasn’t sure you liked me though so I never looked deeply into your actions. Jieun—I mean Miss Song said I was being an idiot.

Daehyun laughed, “I should have been more straight-forward, but I was worried you would leave.”

Zelo smiled into Daehyun’s hair, “I’m not leaving, except if it is to go with you to dinner tonight.”

Daehyun smiled and pulled back, “Let me get my things and we can go.”

“I hope we can get in at this time,” Zelo looked at his watch nervously, “should I try to make a reservation?”

Daehyun chuckled and took Junhong’s arm as they walked out of the office, “Let me take care of it. I know just the place.”

                Daehyun hit the SEND button on his phone and quickly slipped his phone into his pocket, so he could spend more of his attention on the handsome man on his arm. It wasn’t until they got to his car that he checked his phone again and smiled.

                From: Himchan

                                Of course! I always have an open table for you.

                                I’ll see you in 10 minutes and your table will be

        ready for you. Good job, Daehyunnie!!

 


a/n: :D I updated!! hahah I'm happy although this was a lot funnier/cuter in my head :\

I hope you were able to enjoy it!!