Final

Hesitation

Soojung doesn't realize that there is a problem with her relationship with Kyungsoo until recently. It was all started with her conversation with her colleagues.

---
"How are you going to go back later, Soojung-ah? Do you need me to drop you off?" Kim Junmyeon, her team leader asked her while they were having their team dinner.

"That's ok, sunbaenim. My boyfriend will pick me up." Soojung smiled politely.

Her other colleagues sending each other suspicious glances, and Oh Sehun not so subtly nudged Kim Jongin with his bony elbow. The latter glared at him. Soojung looked at them amusedly, wondering what's wrong with them and chose to shrug the suspicion off.
---
A man was sitting on a motorcycle, waiting in front of the posh restaurant. He wore a thick black jacket and put on the hoodie, making his small stature engulfed in the winter clothes he wore.

I'm in front of the restaurant. Let me know when you finish.

I have finished oppa. See you <3 *3*

He smiled softly at his phone. Her reply never failed to make him smile, he put his hand inside of his pocket, trying to warm himself up and hoping that Soojung would come quickly.

---

Soojung smiled at the sight before her. Do Kyungsoo was so cute, being all bundled up in his winter clothes, waiting for her. And being himself, he wore an all black outfit. Typical Kyungsoo oppa, she chuckled.

"Soojung-ah, where are your boyfriend? Has he arrived yet? If not, I can drive you -" Junmyeon once again offered her a ride, " or maybe Jongin can, since Sunyoung kind of asking me to buy something for her first." He smiled teasingly at the flustered Jongin, making Sehun snickered beside him. It was obvious that her colleagues trying to set her up with Kim Jongin.

She shook her head politely, "Thank you for your offer. But he is here already - Kyungsoo oppa!" She called her boyfriend's name, waving excitedly towards a man who were sitting on his motorcycle.

The man came to their direction and Junmyeon couldn't help but judging Soojung's boyfriend.

"Anyeonghaseyo, my name is Do Kyungsoo. Thank you for taking care of Soojung." Polite, Junmyeon noted. And probably too naive. He glanced at his appearance, and concluded that this Do Kyungsoo was a simple man. Probably too simple for someone as classy as Jung Soojung.

Soojung grabbed her boyfriend’s arm excitedly and bowed to her colleagues. “Thank you for the nice dinner, sunbaenim. I’ll see you tomorrow. Good night.” With that, the couple left the men alone.

“If that is her boyfriend, I think you still have the chance, Jongin-ah.”

---

They were happy, they still are. But Junmyeon’s words keep ringing on her ears.

---

“So your boyfriend yesterday – what is his job?” Junmyeon asked her when they were on their way to grab some lunch after their team meeting.

“He manages a coffee shop.” Soojung smiled upon remembering the sweet smile that always on her beloved lips when he found new recipes.

Junmyeon stared at her, this girl is definitely love sick.

“Why do you ask, sunbaenim?”

“Have you ever feel like you will be better off with someone else?” This definitely grabbed Soojung’s attention. She whipped her head, startled Junmyeon who were walking beside her, and stared at him asking for explanation.

“What do you mean, sunbae? I love Kyungsoo oppa and I am happy with him.”

Junmyeon sighed, this is going to be difficult.

“I just – This is only my suggestion, ok?” She nodded, asking him to elaborate, “I know that you are serious with your relationship with Do Kyungsoo. You love him and I believe he loves you too. But do you think there is more than love that is needed in a relationship?”

“Yeah, like commitment and trust.” She added.

“That too, but – call me superficial or something, but I think for a woman, you should look for someone who can fulfill your needs.” She frowned at his statement, “But that is materialistic, sunbae.”

“Well, for me, it’s called realistic.” Junmyeon sighed dramatically, “Think of it this way, Soojung-ah. You are a beautiful woman, with a degree from overseas, and now you are climbing your ladder in our company. Let’s say you need someone that you can be proud of, and even though you can fulfill your own needs, a woman should depend on a man. You need to be with someone that is suitable for a woman like you.”

She was stunned, never she thought of it in this way. Kim Junmyeon certainly had struck a nerve.

“Forgive me for being so blunt, Jung-ah. But I thought of you as a family. And I certainly wish you all the best. And think of it yourself, Soojung-ah. It’s for your own good.”

---

She loves Kyungsoo with all of her heart, she really does. But she can’t shake the feeling that maybe there is something missing from her relationship.

---

“What’s wrong with you?” Jinri’s head popped, startled Soojung.

“Nothing’s wrong with me.” She said defensively, Jinri just shrugged and walked back to her cubicle.

“Can I ask you something?” Soojung called Jinri back and the latter smirked at her.

“Spill.” She grabbed one of the chair and dragged it to sit beside Soojung.

“Why did you break up with Minho?”

Jinri blanched at the question. She did date Choi Minho way back before they decided to separate and now she is dating their Chief Accountant. She knew people would talk behind her back on how she ditched Minho for a richer guy, but no one was brave enough to ask her directly.

“Why did you ask?”

Soojung sighed, “It’s just – there is something bothering me. So I just – forget it.” She waved it off, it’s too confusing to explain to others.

“In case you want to find out, yes I broke it off with Minho because I think that our relationship is not going anywhere.” Jinri paused, “Call me materialistic or something, but I know that Minho won’t be able to reach my standard. I know this is shallow, but I don’t want my children to suffer the way I did back then.” Her eyes mellowed, “You wouldn’t know how it feels when your parents couldn’t even enroll you to the university you wanted to because they didn’t have money – that’s why I choose Choiza over Minho. Minho is a nice guy and I love him, but sometimes you need to use your head more than your heart.” Jinri then left Soojung to ponder over her statements.

---

Mom is always a best place to confide. She knows you the best and definitely would want to give the best for you. And with the ammount of confusion swirling inside her head, Soojung realized that she needs to discuss it with her mom.

She strides and finds her mom is cooking in their kitchen.

“Umma,” she gives her mom a back hug and her mom’s scent fills her senses. Definitely calming.

“Oh you are home early today. I’m preparing kimchi spagetti for you. I got the recipe from Kyungsoo-sshi.”

Upon hearing her boyfriend’s name, she freezes and let go of her mom, opts to sit on the kitchen chair.

“Is there something wrong, sweetie?” Sensing something, her mom decides to stop her cooking and sits with her daughter.

“It’s silly mom. I am not sure with Kyungsoo oppa.” She even feels silly being frustrated over something like this.

“Did you guys fight? Or you don’t like him anymore?” Soojung shakes her head.

“I love him, but - ” she then recalls her conversation with Junmyeon and Jinri, how her insecurities and doubts begin to grow on their relationship.

“Well, I don’t think that is a problem. Our family is not well-off since the beginning, your dad and me, we worked hard to reach to this point. Sometimes, I also wonder what if I chose different man, someone that is able to give more than your dad. But, if I did, then there wouldn’t be you and maybe I am not as happy as I am now.”

“Maybe I am cliche, honey.” Her mom hugs her, “but there are many things more important than money. And you need to find out, which is more important for you.”

---

Talking to her mom supposed to give her enlightment or something, but here she is sitting on her bed, pondering over their relationship. Talking to her just made her more confused. She looks around her bedroom, their polaroids are hung on the wall. The hall of fame, which Kyungsoo insisted to build.

She walks closer to the polaroids, each of the pictures remind her of the sweet time they have together. Suddenly everything is too much for her, tears start to brim on her eyes and she blinks to remove the nagging uneasy feelings in her heart. She takes out one picture which was taken when first Kyungsoo asked her out. Both of them smiled sweetly at the camera. We are happy,aren’t we?

She is about to put the photo back to its original place when she notices there was words written behind. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

 

What is this, bible verse? She checks at other photos, and indeed there are words written behind each photo, but everything is like an unmade puzzle. So she grabs her phone and googles about the verse and starts to arrange the words according to the verses.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

She finds the first verse, and flips over to see the photo. It was taken on their first date. Kyungsoo brought her to the amusement parks when he himself was too scared to ride the attractions.

“Why do you bring me here then when you can’t even ride anything?” she asked him mostly amusedly, part of her was worried seeing his pale face after she dragged him to ride the rollercoaster.

“Because it is the first choice when you go to a date?” He replied weakly.

“Well, it’s not a date when your date is too sick to ride anything.” She snorted. This Do Kyungsoo is ridiculous.

“You don’t like it?” He asked, his eyes searching for her. He was so nervous for their first date and here he was, ruining their supposed to be perfect date. Damn Chanyeol and his advice! He shouldn’t believe him in the first place.

She almost laughed at the pitiful Kyungsoo but held herself back. His face was worried over something that was so silly.

“No, pabo. I like it because I am with you. But I will love it more if we can do something together. Let’s catch a movie or play bowling instead of torturing yourself here.”

She laughs remembering their disasterous first date. Nevertheless, his sincerity to make her happy is what makes him precious.

 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

She finds the next verse easily and quickly turns to see the photo behind. It was taken after they made up first time they got into a fight.

“Oppa.”

He was mad, she could see that he was fuming. But it’s Do Kyungsoo that we were talking about, he wouldn’t lose his temper in front of so many people like this. But she knew that she was going to get an earful after this.

 “Let’s go home, Soojung-ah.” He grabbed her hand and bowed slightly to her friends to bid them goodbye. “Happy birthday Nicole, hope you have a blast.” With that, he dragged Soojung out from the pub.

This was why she didn’t tell him in the first place. Do Kyungsoo was an epitome of prim and proper, he wouldn’t let her to go to the club, not even to attend her bestfriend’s birthday. And after being slightly drunk because she was forced to drink, she agreed that maybe he was right.

“Oppa.” She whined, his grip on her hand was quite painful. But he didn’t let go until they got into taxi.

 “What about your motorcycle, oppa?”

“I will go back to take it after I drop you off in your house.” He replied coldly, making her even felt guilty. “There is no way I can send you off using my motorcycle when you are this drunk.” He grunted.

She pulled him into a hug, feeling grateful that she had a man that took care of her like Do Kyungsoo. She felt lucky.

This photo causes the bittersweet feeling in her heart. How could she forget, that Do Kyungsoo cares for her more than she could even imagine. And she doubts her feelings just because of the people’s words? How shallow of her. She is ashamed of herself, tears prickling on her eyes.

“Soojung?” She must be crazy, she now even hears his voice. But Kyungsoo immediately strides to her side and engulfs her in a hug.

“Are you ok? Your mom called me saying that you need me. You don’t even answer my phone.” He looks at her concernedly.

She laughs uneasily and shakes her head, “I’m okay oppa. It just - it has been a rough day.”

“Care to tell me?” the concerned tone makes her blabbers everything to Kyungsoo, she spills all her doubts of their relationship and how Junmyeon and Jinri made her to think over. She can’t contain her feelings but pour out everything to Kyungsoo. And Kyungsoo being himself, he listens to her attentively.

After a while, he flips one of the photo with words written behind.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 

“Thank you, Soojung-ah for being honest with me. It’s not only you who doubt our relationship. I do too.”

“You do?”

He smiles uneasily, his habit when he is nervous kicks in, he can’t stop to run his fingers on his hair until Soojung grabs his hand, tangles them with hers.

“I do. I have insecurities too, you know. Everyday I realize that I am so blessed to have you.” He stops for a while, letting his tongue to wet his suddenly dry lips. Soojung’s expectant face urges him to go on.

“I know that you can get someone that is more handsome, taller, and more successful than me. Yet you still choose me. And I am grateful for that, Soojung-ah. Everyday I question myself, is it possible to be this happy? Can I make you happy? I know that you would probably happier with someone better than me. But I don’t wan’t to lose you Soojung-ah.” He gulps.

“That’s why I push myself to get better for you. I will do everything I can do to make you happy. Will you wait for me until I become a man worthy of your love, Soojung?”

Being in a relationship of 2 years, this is the first time Soojung witness Kyungsoo to be this vulnerable. It caught her off guard but it feels real and looking at his eyes, she realizes that there is no other man for her. She hugs him tightly.

“I will. No, I have waited and will support you in everything I could.”

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

---

“Why are you so happy, Soojung-ah? Something good happens?” Junmyeon asks her when she steps into her office, humming various love songs.

“Yes, sunbaenim.” She smiles sweetly at Junmyeon, “By the way, thanks for your advice yesterday.”

Junmyeon looks at her excitedly, “Have you think about it?”

“Yes, and it made me realize that it’s only him that I want to be with.”

He may not as good as other people, but he is the best for me. His love is enough for me.

 Because Love never fails. 

---

A/N: This idea pops when I was discussing over relationship with my supervisor at work. What do you guys think?

One of my favorite verse in the Bible! <333 drop me a comment, I would love to hear your thought. 

Thanks for reading!

Photo credit : to Kyungstalbar on instagram <3 thank you