Time and Goodbyes I

Time and Goodbyes

YOU.

It's almost 2am and you are still waiting for him at a park near your apartment complex. You are tired and weary but you insisted on waiting for him since it's been weeks since you've last seen him and if you won't see him now, you would probably have to wait again for a few weeks to have the chance at him again.

Maybe that's what you have to deal with loving someone who is a part of a popular K-Pop group, someone like Kim Myungsoo.

--------------

You met Myungsoo on a cold freezing night years ago. He was taking a break from his practice and decided to take a stroll in your favorite park- the one nearest to where you live. He was still a trainee back then.

One meeting led to another and many others. It became his routine to take a stroll in the park during his breaks and you were more than willing to accompany him.

You were both introverts, but when you were together, you were both chatter boxes. You talked about anything and everything. You shared your concerns, about you having to study in Seoul alone, and him training to become part of an idol group. You shared your ambitions and both of you have worked hard to achieve your dreams. You were there for each other and you always had each other's back. Things were getting deeper for both you. You knew you loved each other but neither one of you said a thing. You both knew that what you had was special but none of you would admit to that.

You kept your relationship as is. Friends. More than friends? Maybe.That "some" relationship? Maybe.

But will your relationship stay the same?
------------

Myungsoo's finally debuted and you are doing great in your studies.

Myungsoo got busier, and he was getting more and more popular. And university life isn't making things easier for you too especially when you're studying in one of Korea's top universities.

Your meetings were getting lesser and quicker. It wasn't just because the two of you are busy but you were avoiding any scandal that could adversely affect Myungsoo's career. Yes, you had nothing to hide. The two of you weren't in a relationship, but the way you act when you're together? People who don't know you might think that you're already married for years. That's because you're too comfortable with each other.

But university life and idol life must have taken its toll on the both of you. You no longer have to the time to see each other, calls are getting lesser, and text messages no longer have its sincerity.

What happened? What happened to both of you?
You wanted more that what you two have now. You wanted more that what he could give you.
He wanted to give you everything he can, but not the one you wanted.
You wanted commitment, but he couldn't give you that. And you know exactly the reason why.

-----------

YOU.

As you wait for Myungsoo in the very park where you first met you closed your eyes and try to hide your tears. The cold wind blowing wasn't helping you either.

Memories suddenly flash into your mind, years ago, you said hello to your first love, your greatest love...
And now, to present...
You are preparing to say goodbye to the same man...

"________"

You froze when you heard him call your name. He's here.

-----------
YOU.

You wiped your tears, turned around and gave him the warmest smile you can offer. You had the urge to to run to him and kiss him but you realized that you didn't  have the right to do so. Oh. You two weren't in a relationship.

He walked towards you and he gave you a hug. He motioned you to sit down. The two of you were silent.

The cold wind blew on you're face, making you realize why you are here tonight.

You cleared your throat and started speaking...

"Myungsoo."

Your voice was harsh and cold.
 
"Yes?"

He took your hand to keep it from getting cold.

"I have something to tell you."

"I already know." He replied.

"Why? How? But I just wanted to say..." You asked. Surprised. But he cut you off.

"Sssshhhh. Before you say something, can I speak first?" He said.

"I know why you're here and what you're about to tell me. But I won't let you have the power to break up with me ______. Crazy, coz we were never really together. But please hear me out first. The moment we'll go on our separate ways here, I'll get heartbroken. I will be mad and angry and devastated and if you'll be the one to cut things off between us, I might hate you and I don't want that. So please, let me be the one to do it. I'll let you go. I'm sorry for being a coward, for never taking our relationship to a next level, for always making you wait for me, for everything. I'm really sorry _____. I thank you, for being always there for me, for giving your all, for everything. And I love you. The moment I saw you sitting on this bench with your eyes closed, I fell in love you. Until now, I love you and tomorrow I will love you and maybe until forever ends. I love you so much that I can't bear seeing you break things between us, so let me be the jerk to break up with you. I don't want to let you go but I have to. I was selfish for keeping you to myself, and now I'll let you go, fly! Be who you are and who you want to be. You've sacrificed a lot for me, to help me achieve my dreams, now it's my turn. And even if it hurts, I will. Goodbye. Remember, I love you. Always have. Always will."

He kissed me, for the first and last time. He didn't want me to speak. He didn't have to because I was speechless. He gave me that smile, turned around and left. I didn't even get to say goodbye. I just saw my greatest love walk away from me.

-----------

MYUNGSOO.

It's been weeks since I last saw her, so I sneaked in to her apartment to surprise her but she was nowhere to be found. I changed and made myself comfortable on her bed when I noticed a paper that was torn off a book. It was a poem by Lang Leav from Lullabies and it said...

“Time

You were the one
I wanted most
to stay.
 
But time could not
be kept at bay.
 
The more it goes,
the more it’s gone—
the more it takes away.”

I felt sick and I could almost hear my heart breaking into pieces. 

Until I got a message from her.
"The park. ASAP. I'm already here. I've got something important to tell you. xx"

Then and there I knew what was going to happen. I was preparing to meet my heartbreak.

I went to the park as soon as possible and I saw her there just like the first time I saw her years ago. I just stared at her and I tried to save that memory into my head and heart.

It took a while for me to approach her, I just wanted to stare at her forever until I saw her starting to shed some tears. And then I remembered why I was there.

"_______"

-------------

MYUNGSOO.

I said my goodbyes and I kissed her. It was the first time I kissed her and the first time I have said that I loved her. All these years I've been wanting to do that. All these years I've been wanting to hold her tight, shower her with kisses, telling her I love her every seconds of the day... And calling her mine...
But I wasn't able to. I was selfish. I wanted to keep her but I didn't want to commit in a relationship with her. I was too focused and blinded by my eagerness to succeed in my chosen career that I forgot to appreciate her presence in my life. I forgot to see how she's sacrificed so much for me.

I knew how she was supposed to migrate abroad but chose to study and work here in Seoul alone just to be with me. I knew how she's always promised my mother that she'll never leave me. I knew how my members count on her to take care of me. I knew how she did all of these because she loved me.

But I've kept her for me for a long time. And it wasn't getting healthy. I got so used to her presence that sometimes I wouldn't just care about her just because I know that she's always there.

Time is running, the more she's spending time for me, the more I'm taking her time for herself.

It breaks my heart but I have to set her free.

----------

Ours is a kind of love that does not need to be spoken.
Ours is a kind of love that does not need to be tied into a relationship.
Ours is a kind of love that is not defined by time.
Ours is a kind of love that is not defined by distance.
Ours is a kind of love that no other love can surpass.

-----------
Two years passed and Myungsoo continued with his activities with Infinite, and he did a few dramas too. But now, he went solo, not as a singer but a photographer. He's just released his latest photobook and he's organized a few fan signs for its launch.

"Hi!" a lady fan said while handing her photobook to Myungsoo to be signed.

"Hi! What name should I write here?" He said without looking up.

"Uhmm. To the greatest love of my life?" the lady fan giggled as she said that.

Myungsoo was confused by the fan's unusual request so when he raised his head up to look at the lady fan...

He immediately hugged the lady fan as soon as he recognized those eyes of her even if her face was covered with scarf.


------------


"Thanks for coming back." He whispered to your ear.

"Well, you never really gave me the chance to say goodbye."

"Sssshhh! I won't let you say  goodbye! Ever!" Myungsoo probably got excited and raised his voice quite a bit.

The staff went to him to ask if he was fine or you were bothering him, he simply held your hands and told the remaining fans and everyone in the fan sign event, press included that...

"The love of my life has finally returned." He smiled sheepishly.

The staff who recognized you from before hugged you and assisted you back stage.
Myungsoo went on with his fan sign event like nothing happened with the exception that... 

 

the love of his life is finally back and now, he knows what he's supposed to do and that is to keep you in his arms forever and call you "mine".