The last day

The last day

Chanyeol was sitting in a white corridor smelling antiseptic and with no sounds but those of nurses' footsteps against the cold ground. 

He was just sitting there, his mind empty and his eyes staring into the space. He might look completely lost, he thought.

Then, a man in white dress went out of the room next to the chair he was sitting on. It was the doctor, who sympathetically looked at him before closing the door behind him and, after one last smile and without a word, walked away and disappeared at a corner of the corridor. 

Chanyeol stood up a bit unconsciously and stayed still behind the room's door, still feeling as if he did not know what to do even if he comes here everyday. 

3681. A number without meaning, not evocating anything, hard to remember. 

Chanyeol's heartbeats fastened, reasoning in his ears, and it became harder and harder to breath. 

He put a hand on the cold door handle and took a deep breath. 

It was the last time he was coming. 

The last time he would opened this anonymous door with shaking hands and a heavy heart, because he knew too well who was inside. 

The last time he would enter the room, praying everytime for all of this to be just a nightmare, and then hearing the fast - too fast - beeping sounds filling the room. 

The last time he would stop at the top of the bed, not wanting to turn to see the person laying on. 

The last time he would finally turn to see him, surrounded by wires and machines. 

His eyes were closed. His chest was almost imperceptibly moving. His heart too, as well. 

Chanyeol would have wanted him to be awake, he would have wanted him to smile to him with his lovely smile, he would have wanted to hear the sound of his voice, to be caught in his eyes, to laugh with him. 

He would have wanted him to get better. 

But he was here, standing still in front of the boy and hearing the beeps getting faster and faster. 

Three

Chanyeol remembered when Baekhyun told him a month ago. 

At that time the boy could still sit on his bed, but he could not stand up anymore. He had to stay close to the machines. 

"Good morning Chanyeol," he said with a grin when the other entered the room. 

Everytime Chanyeol wondered how Baekhyun could still smile this way after all he had went through. 

When Chanyeol sat next to him, Baekhyun was looking outside from the window, with something sad in the eyes he immediately noticed. 

"There's something I have to tell you," he started, "I insisted for the doctor to let me tell you by myself."

Chanyeol's eyes opened wide because he had an idea of what it would be. But he was still hoping for good news. 

"It only remains for me one month to live," he declared calmly, but his eyes could not lie. 

He never saw Baekhyun cry. 

Two

Yesterday morning, he had entered the room as usual, and the other weakly smiled when he saw him. 

"Good morning... Chanyeol," he whispered and even if his voice betrayed his extreme tiredness Chanyeol still found it beautiful.

Chanyeol gave his best to smile back and to make him laugh despite everything. 

No one mentioned that it was the last day, but they both knew. This kind of thing cannot be forgotten. 

He had brought his guitar. He knew Baekhyun could not sing like before - it was almost hard for him to speak now. But this is how they had decided to spend this last day, by acting like before, when they lived a normal life. 

At the end, Chanyeol still ended crying and hugging Baekhyun like he could and kissing him and telling him he loved him, even if he had swore he would not act like if it was their last day together. 

But Baekhyun never cried. 

One

Chanyeol silently sat next to the sleeping boy. He tenderly his head with a dry throat and wet eyes. 

Baekhyun was still alive, he thought, and it only have him to lay on his chest crying all the tears out of his body. 

He talked to him. For the last time he told him he was sorry, for the last time he told him a joke, for the last time he told him he loved him. 

For the last time he swore to him he would never forget him. 

Baekhyun did not answered. The beeps quicken. 

Chanyeol was afraid. He wanted to scream to the boy to wake up, not to leave him. 

A nurse came. Chanyeol had to stand up. Not now! he wanted to yell at her. Please, just one more day...! 

Tears silently flowed down his cheeks. 

It was the last time he would cry in his hospital room, hearing the one and only beep lasting, feeling nothing but pain, a horrible pain on his chest. 

Zero.