ㅤ赤い糸 CHAPTER THREE

ㅤ赤い糸 RED STRING OF FATE。
CHAPTER THREE
every cloud has a silver lining.
   


"Amor Fati – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life."
— Friedrich Nietzsche

 

For someone who finds amusement in poking his nose into other people's business and getting into people's mind (and consequently, driving them crazy), Minki really has no interest whatsoever in Neuroscience lectures. He'd choose Hyeji's horrible stories and Junah's life lessons over this any other day—but when it is a requirement, he really can't complain.
 
He comes in fashionably late, as per usual, though the lecture has yet to start. The professor barely spares him the time of day as he struts up the steps of the auditorium. He nods in acknowledgement at the TA, who only sends him a dirty look. The last time they'd spoken, Minki had spent half of his precious hour arguing with her about how he should've gotten at least an A- for his paper on the history of Neuroscience. The argument had finished on a bad note and Minki finished his first term with a B instead of the A- he so rightfully deserved. Long story short, Minki's pretty sure the current TA is why he's sporting a big fat F on his last exam.
 
The class has always been huge, full of at least a hundred students naïve enough to think they'll last even a single second in Neuroscience. The professor, an old, bald man, is known for his ability to send everyone to sleep, which is why Minki is taking precautions—recording lectures to take notes on later. Minki has always been the prepared kind of person and nothing less. Plus, last night hadn't been particularly easy on him.
 
He purses his lips as he scans through the auditorium for a seat. Unsurprisingly, it's not exactly a full house today, but Minki doesn't like seating in front, at the back, or next to humans he don't know. That makes it considerably harder to make his choice.
 
Right as he spies the perfect seat, someone brushes past his elbow, and, in haste, drops a pen. Minki looks on quietly, hands in his pockets, as the stranger—a boy, he deduces—bends down to pick his ballpoint up.
 
When the boy finally looks up to meet his stare, Minki first notices a pair of round eyes that flicker to his pinky and only widens. In reflex, Minki follows the line of his red string and finds that it ends on the stranger's pinky, in a pretty, neat bow.
 
There is something bubbling inside his gut, not quite euphoria, but close enough. He has always wondered about this moment, how he would meet the significant someone made especially for him. It was a lot more bland than he had expected, no dramas whatsoever, and he can't say that he isn't disappointed (he lives for drama), but Minki chooses to ignore that in opt for observing the stranger's highly expressive features.
 
Minki thinks he wouldn't mind staring at this boy's face forever, as clichéd as it is. There is just so much to see, from the astonished scrunch of his eyebrows to the delectable curve to his lips. But there is time for everything, and now is just not the time to ogle on someone and creep the rest of the room out.
 
Instead, Minki gives the stranger a casual smirk, right as he struts to his seat.
 
As he's walking to his seat, Minki thinks Fate is sweet, but he didn't think it'd be this sweet. He almost feels like jumping into the air with joy. But that's far from your typical Minki-esque, and he can feel the eyes of his TA staring at him, as if waiting for him to do something stupid in the slightest just to make sure he never lives it down.
 
The lecture feels a lot like a bedtime story—though it is a peculiar one, about brains and how they work and why sometimes, they don't. Minki holds little to no interest in bedtime stories, especially to fairytales and the like. They are boring, predictable, and filled with nonsensical happy endings that he has grown to hate. (In real life, happy endings are mere lies.)
 
But, well, the lecture is free, and bedtime story or not, Minki will take what he can get.
 
Besides, there is so much to learn—about his newfound soulmate, that is. Minki finds amusement in making the guy squirm uncomfortably, knowing that someone is staring through his every actions.
 
Once in a while, the stranger would return his gaze, though most of the time, it is just Minki trying to imagine the picture they would make together. Minki is all broad shoulders and tall stature, though he may look a little frail.
 
But him—he is just so small.
 
He has a narrow frame, and his height seems like it would reach no higher than Minki's chin at most. His fingers are short and stubby, definitely more cute than anything, though if Minki were to compare them to his own slim appendages, they definitely look sturdier.
 
Minki spends most of the lecture leaning on his arm and staring at his soulmate, and halfway through, his soulmate must have gotten used to his boring gaze because he had chosen to (try and) ignore Minki's presence completely and actually take down notes.
 
He seems interesting, and usually it takes a lot more to intrigue Minki, but not this time. Minki pulls a pen and scribbles on a post-it note.
 
The lecture slowly comes to an end. Minki's paper is a blank white, but he can always get back to it when he is actually in the mood to absorb knowledge, and is not busy scrutinizing his soulmate's every features. He reaches inside his pocket for the recorder he had switched on right before the lecture, and it's warm from overuse.
 
Turning off the device, he stretches his back in a sluggish manner, suppressing a yawn that reminds him of the amount of sleep—or lack, thereof—that he had to bear with for at least a few more hours. There is not much to pack up, so Minki gets up from his seat far before the stranger, and he uses that to his advantage, walking up to the guy.
 
When the auditorium is almost empty save for a few people here and there is when Minki manages to corner his little soulmate, taking in the tense shoulders and finding it more endearing than not.
 
"I believe we haven't met before," Minki slurs, making sure to keep their gazes locked together. "May I have your name?" He asks.
 
The guy looks down for a second, seemingly unsure, before he stares up straight into Minki's eyes almost confidently, which is definitely more hot than endearing. "Not before I have yours," he says, and oh, Minki wouldn't have it any other way.
 
"Kang Minki," he says simply, offering his hand and smirking when the guy stretches his own for a handshake. He relishes the surprised gasp from the other when he brings his hand up to lightly brush his lips against knuckles.
 
"I—" the guy is flushed, ears a pretty pink and mouth opening and closing. So easy. "Do Kyungsoo."
 
Do Kyungsoo, Minki is pretty sure he has heard of the name, but that will have to wait until he is finished with this. "I would love to stay for a chat, mon chéri, but I'm afraid I have to go."
 
Kyungsoo's hands hang awkwardly when Minki lets go of it, but he quickly gets himself together and nods almost exasperatedly. "Ah, right, I—I'm sorry for keeping you here," he apologizes, even if he really doesn't have to and Minki is the one keeping him here.
 
"Oh no, it's fine," Minki interjects quickly, lips pulling up into a smirk as he pulls the post-it from his pocket and places it on Kyungsoo's open palm. He watches as Kyungsoo pulls the paper closer to his face. Minki knows very well that Kyungsoo is trying to make a sense out of the string of French words written beneath his phone number.
 
"Tu as de beaux yeux," he reads, and Kyungsoo sends him an apprehensive look that only seems more anxious when Minki slowly closes the distance between them. "You have beautiful eyes, chéri."
 
Minki leaves the auditorium quite a few while later, but not before leaving a sweet print of his lips right on the corner of Kyungsoo's. Minki watches him flush a deeper shade of red as his eyebrows furrow together in a mix of slight irritation and mild embarrassment.
 
That will have to do, for now.
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
Minki should’ve seen it coming. Should’ve been a little bit suspicious when he hears Iseul talk about going to one of her many charitable social parties. He should’ve known, should’ve known that coincidences are bound to happen in such a clichéd world.
 
Now, he’s sitting right across from Iseul as she casts him a glare. If looks could kill, Minki would’ve already been on his way to hell.
 
“You should’ve told me,” Iseul says, “that you were the son of Kang Jaedeok, CEO of CSE Solutions.
 
“I thought you already knew!” Minki says, a tad bit offended that out of all the people he has come to be acquainted with, Iseul (who was on the same social standing as him) was the one who didn’t actually know about his background.
 
“It’s not like you’ve ever disclose these kind of information to us, but that’s besides the point.” Iseul bites back and Minki leans back on the chair with a heavy sigh, defeated. It’s not his fault that aside from the occasional teasing, Iseul proves to be a difficult person to communicate with. Plus, he respects her personal distaste towards mindless chatters too much to start small talks with her.
 
But Minki, being Minki, has always liked to have the last word, “Touché, but I’m not the one who breaks Hyeji’s fragile heart everyday."
 
Iseul huffs, crossing her arms and pointedly turning away from him. He finds himself rolling his eyes, because cold city women or otherwise, girls will always be girls. His girls. "Tu m'en veux?" He asks, jutting his mouth into a tiny pout and slightly smiling when Iseul whips her head to frown at him.
 
Before Iseul can speak a word, though, his mother’s voice appears from behind him, her voice strong but laced with an affectionate lilt.
 
“Dear, I have someone I want you to meet. Come with me, your father is waiting for you," his mother speaks, grasping Minki’s arm as he sends Iseul a desperate look of ‘help me’.
 
The only reaction Minki manages to attain from Iseul is a small shrug before she’s standing up and excusing herself from the mother and son. “Excuse me, ma’am, but I think my father’s calling me.”
 
“Imbec—” Minki starts, roughly getting cut off as his mother slaps his arm with a glare. He winces, rubbing his left arm, another pout forming in his face.
 
“Watch your language, young mister.”
 
“Mom.” He drags out, as they make their way towards his father, “I’m not five.”
 
“Well you sure do act like it sometimes.”
 
“Mom!”
 
Minki is a mere ragdoll under his mother's pull as she drags him across the hall. They stop here and there, making small talks with his mother's acquaintances before going back on their way.
 
"There they are!" His mother exclaims just before she pulls on Minki's jacket, quickening her pace ever so slightly.
 
Minki can recognize that build anywhere. "Oh," he breathes out, taking in wide eyes and plush lips. "You're here."
 
Kyungsoo turns to look at him, and he is stunning. His hair is slicked up in one of those updos Minki secretly adores, and he is donned in a designer suit that frames his figure just right. Minki thinks that the shirts and jeans Kyungsoo wears to school do nothing to flatter his figure. Mouth parted in surprise, Kyungsoo splutters a, "Why are you—"
 
"You know him?" His mother asks, a pleased smile stretching across her face. She places a hand on top of Kyungsoo's shoulder, and Kyungsoo looks a little uncomfortable. "He's the one I was talking about."
 
"Hello Mrs. Kang and uh, Minki-ssi." Minki has to refrain from smiling too wide at the mention of his name. So maybe he has always been a er for husky voices (he thinks they're absolutely sensual), especially Hyebi's, but Kyungsoo can take the cake. He has never really liked the way his name sounds on other people’s tongues until today. And already, he is kind of wishing that Kyungsoo would say this name again, over and over.
 
"Oh, this is great." His mother claps almost giddily. "You two will be seeing more of each other after the partnership is established, so I'll leave you to bond. Kyungsoo, I'm sorry for my son's, you know." There are flailing hands motioning all over him before patting him on the cheek rather harshly, and Minki should feel offended that his mother is apologizing for his existence. But instead he finds himself staring into Kyungsoo's heart-shaped smile and the his whole face scrunches up adorably with it. Oh.
 
When they are left alone, Minki finds Kyungsoo staring down at his feet, lashes cascading prettily over his cheekbones. He reaches out to tap on Kyungsoo's chin, lips twitching when Kyungsoo looks up with surprise in his eyes, as if he wasn't aware that he was looking down in the first place. "You didn't call," Minki says, trying to keep the bitterness out of his tone. He had been so sure that he would call.
 
“I wasn’t so sure on how to approach it.” Kyungsoo lets out an awkward laugh, “I couldn’t just suddenly call you up and talk about stuffs like us being soul mates, you know?”
 
"Oh, but you can," Minki interjects, shoving his hands inside the pockets of his trousers. "You can say anything you want to me."
 
There is that pretty pink adorning Kyungsoo's cheeks again, and Minki takes pleasure on possibly being the only one who can make the heir of a superior firm blush. "You should stop doing things like that."
 
"Things like what?" He asks, stepping closer and watching as Kyungsoo's eyes flutter rapidly at the proximity. Minki can't help but think that he is oh so pretty.
 
"Things like—like this," Kyungsoo splutters, placing his hands on Minki's chest and stepping back.
 
“What are we, high school lovers? There’s nothing to be ashamed of!” Minki coos, stepping behind Kyungsoo and grabbing onto his shoulders, giving it a soft squeeze.
 
It’s before Minki can sweep Kyungsoo off his feet with another one of his suave and flirtatious moves that Minki feels himself being dragged down by his ear, suddenly facing a face-full of Iseul.
 
Squawking in horror, Minki takes several steps back, successfully getting out of the girl’s rather strong grip on his ears. Rubbing the sore appendage, he finally gets a good once-over of Song Iseul.
 
“Well, speak of the devil.” Minki says smoothly, patting the nonexistent dirt off his outfit and giving Iseul a pointed look, completely avoiding Kyungsoo’s confused one.
 
“That’s not how the line works,” Iseul says in a snippy tone (more than usual), “And isn’t that suit Armani’s spring season line back in 2014?” Iseul asks Minki, eyes hardened, a protective hand grasped around Kyungsoo’s arm.
 
“It’s their fall season line, actually—hey now, aren’t you awfully close to Kyungsoo here?
 
“I could say the same for you.”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
It’s tense at the table, because for some reason Minki and his parents end up seated on a table only meant for her and her parents, along with Kyungsoo and his. As it is, Iseul can only watch warily as Minki’s father starts up a conversation about their future partnership.
 
She feels a little left out, especially with her parents out and about somewhere, socializing. But she has a bad feeling about the way Minki eyes Kyungsoo, almost predatorily, and she really can’t bring herself to leave when Kyungsoo is shifting uncomfortably in his seat. She has never seen him look so…unsure. Iseul considers the distance between herself and Minki’s parents across the table and wonders if it is possible for her to snap at Minki without stirring a huge problem.
 
“...and why is such a fine young man date-less for the night?” Mrs. Kang asks sweetly, smiling at Kyungsoo, who looks flustered. Iseul blinks when she notices the sudden change of topic.
 
“I could say the same for your son, Junri-ssi,” Kyungsoo’s mom replies, turning to Minki with a seemingly calculative look in her eyes. “Where is your date for the night, my dear?”
 
Minki doesn’t cower under her gaze, his posture sure and confident. When he finally replies, his tone is rather smug. “Oh, I do have a date, ma’am, Mother.” Iseul tenses when Minki looks at her, a smirk on his lips. “In fact, my date is right here with us.” She can feel everyone in the table turning to look at her, misunderstandings floating right above her head.
 
“What—”
 
“Allow me to introduce you to Do Kyungsoo,” Minki starts off. The misconception of her being Minki’s date for the night (gross) is lifted, but this is almost worse. Kyungsoo’s eyes are as wide as saucers. He doesn’t react when Minki laces their hands together and lifts it up for everyone to see. “My soulmate.” Minki brings Kyungsoo’s hands to his lips in a way that Iseul is familiar with. “My date for the night.”
 
There is a soft “excuse me” from behind Iseul, before she is presented with tonight’s dessert—a plate of Banoffee pie. She barely registers the red string tied neatly on the server’s pinky, eyes set on Minki as he stands up with a smile. “Ah, look at the time. I actually have a prior engagement to get to, so if you may excuse me, Mr. and Mrs. Do.”
 
He leaves, but not before leaning down to peck Kyungsoo lightly on the lips. Kyungsoo looks as shocked as she feels.
 
Iseul wants nothing more than to slap the smirk right off of Minki’s face as he departs from the table.
 
AUTHORS' NOTES
 
QUICK NOTES: possibly incorrect french thrown around ftw? help us
 
TOBIOS: Ten yEARS LATER?? WE ARE BACK?? AND ON A ROLL BECAUSE WE'VE SORT OF STARTED THE FOURTH CHAPTER AND WE HAVE A TEASER DOWN FOR OUR PIE-HOLE APPLY FIC!! WHICH U GUYS SHOULD CHECK OUT BTW. jesus ok this chapter was a mess of 3.1k words bUT LOOK i think it was great. we're trying out best to focus on one to two characters each chapter and we sorta know what we're going to write for the 4th chapter so please be patient with us!!!! BUT FOR NOW ENJOY!!!!
 
KINTOUN: SO HI CRIES!!! tbh i don't know what took this so long but it's here in all it's 3k glory so hopefully you guys like it ; u ; i'm really in love with minki's character and totally had fun writing this. this chapter is mainly minki-centric with a dash of iseul but yeah!!! we're currently working on the fourth chapter so hopefully it won't take too long??? GIVE US A WEEK OR TWO. anyways, we'll try our best to get it out before the end of the month. thank you for being so patient omf i'm so sorry for the late update! ;;; <3

BIG QUESTION OF THE DAY: Are any of you guys on summer break right now? Chau over here just started her summer break and is about to go back to her home country in 1 month!!!