Final

Kisses at Midnight

Christmas. It was the time where you’d finally get two weeks off of school to be with the ones you love and celebrate one of the greatest holidays ever. You’d bake lots of delicious desserts that you’d only get to taste in that time of year, decorate your house inside and out with festive lights and mistletoes, shop until you’ve pretty much emptied your wallet, and dress in cute, festive outfits while matching with your significant other.

Your schedule was all planned out for Christmas Eve. First, you’d meet your perfect boyfriend, Jimin, at the airport. He’d be flying in from South Korea to meet you. Second on your list was to go ice skating after dropping his things off of “your” place (Actually, it was your parent’s place but they insisted on having him stay. They probably loved him more than you did). The third and fourth things that you had planned out were common Christmas activities that couples would do together. The rest of the list had actually been done by Jimin himself. He added ten new things onto the list, which seemed a lot more fun than the things you had written. One of which were “Let’s build a gingerbread house from scratch!” Honestly, what’s not to love about Jimin?

However, as fun as that all seemed to be, none of it happened. The first thing on the list was skipped from the get-go. He never came.

Now it was New Year’s Day, and you were at the one and only Times Square in New York, waiting for the ball to drop, just like the other million people crowding around you. You held your phone in your hand tightly, scrolling through the conversation you had with your boyfriend. He hadn’t texted you since he told you that his flight had been cancelled which was about a week ago. It was his only chance of seeing you again after a whole year, and that opportunity disappeared just like that. You felt bad, but you understood. It wasn’t his fault, after all.

“Hey, are you even listening to me?” a voice said, snapping you back into reality.

“Sorry, Jungkook,” you muttered an apology which he probably didn’t hear over the growing noise level of the crowd. You quickly but casually switched your phone off and shoved it into your coat’s pocket, hoping he didn’t see you looking through your text messages with Jimin. Unfortunately, he did.

“Don’t be so sad, you little love bird!” he teased, wrapping an arm around your shoulders and pulling you closer to him, “You know how much that kid loves you. He probably feels worse. Heck, he’s probably sobbing about it to Namjoon hyung!”

Hearing that, a smile tugged at your lips. Jungkook never failed to make you feel a tiny bit better when you felt miserable. Calling his own hyung a kid, saying that Jimin’s crying to Namjoon- he sure did know how to make you laugh a little. After all, you’ve been friends before his debut, and he was the one who introduced you to Jimin in the first place.

The only reason he was here was because he chose to take his vacation on New Year’s rather than Christmas, and you had to admit that you were glad Jungkook did that. At least you weren’t alone.

They announced the mark of the final minute before 2015 came, making the crowd go crazy as they searched for someone to kiss on midnight. It was a New Year’s tradition that you totally forgot about, making your heart skip a beat when Jungkook looked straight at you. Even though the only rule of the “New Year’s kiss” was to kiss at random and pretend everyone is single, you personally couldn’t do that to Jimin. Especially since he wouldn’t know if you did it or not. Going behind his back would make you feel dirty. Sure, you liked Jungkook as a friend but you couldn’t imagine yourself kissing him. He was too much of a little (but taller) brother to you.

You avoided the feeling of wanting to return the stare and even backed up a little, but Jungkook dipped down and held you in place so that you couldn’t move away. His cheek brushed yours, his hot breath tickling your ear as he whispered, “Turn around,”

Feeling slightly confused but rather relieved that he didn’t actually kiss you, you did what he said. Right there, your blood went cold. Standing in front of you was your one and only with a huge grin on his face. You felt like bursting out into tears as you jumped onto him, burying your face into the warmth of his coat. His adorable laughter ringing into your ears pushed your tears over the edge, sending a wonderful sensation throughout your whole body. His Christmas scent of mint mixed in with pine wafted into your system, suddenly bringing back memories of when you once told him that it was “A manly scent for a guy during Christmas”.

You heard Jungkook teasingly whisper once again, “Look who’s crying now,” in which Jimin kicked the younger boy while still squeezing you tightly in his arms. After setting you down, Jimin wiped your moist face with his hands before the wind froze your tears.

“How about we make that gingerbread house after this?” he suggested, touching the tip of his nose with yours and hearing you giggle.

“And I’m sorry for letting you down,” he breathed, looking down at the white blanket of snow below him, “I had to beg our manager to let me see you today,”

You pulled his face up and showed a smile, “You’re here, and that’s what matters,”

The sounds of the crowd counting down the last five seconds of 2014 lulled to nothing as Jimin’s warm hands held your face, leaning down to give you that special New Year’s kiss.