Final

Say No

Chanyeol thinks the rain . 

It because today, he wants to finish all of his schedule so he can finally be free for Christmas. So, he can finally rest easy, though he doubt that's gonna happen given the majority of his sasaeng fans. But the rain comes and screws up all his plans. If he doesn't do things today, he needs to do them again tomorrow when he should be in bed cuddling all his pillows.

Chanyeol sighs as he dusts the raindrops off his coat. He folds his umbrella and places it on the stand. He is a bit relieved to see that the cafe he goes into is empty save for a few old people reading the news and not caring about the world. He finds a seat on the corner and orders a double shot of espresso. He needs to stay awake if he wants to finish up everything by today. And obviously, since he's going to probably start late because of the stupid rain, he might as well just keep his eyes open.

Looking out the window, into the blurry sight of people running here and there, getting drenched, he remembers why he hates the rain. A sudden pang of guilt mixed with a pinch of rage builds up inside of him as he stares at the raindrops tapping on the windows of the cafe. This is how they met. A rainy day in the summer. Rare, but not impossible.

The rain was ruthless that day, and Chanyeol was just starting with his career. He was running late for a gig that day when suddenly the rain poured, immediately drenching him and his poor guitar. He ran into the nearest bus stop for shelter and that's where 'he' was. 'He' was holding a broken umbrella in his hands while looking out blankly into space. His face was contorted in what seemed like annoyance and his lips were pouted. It was like Chanyeol's eyes did a sudden zoom and he finds a mole on the guy's lips which he immediately labeled as y.

Chanyeol thought the guy was super cute that he couldn't help but say hi. And so he did. The guy's name was Baekhyun. And he's a student in the university. Small talks didn't apply to them because they both clicked instantly, sparks flying everywhere as they looked at each other's eyes, spilling stories after stories about how the rain affected their lives one way or another.

Time passed and the sun shone brigtly, drying everything up around them but they couldn't care less because they were just standing there talking like they've been friends since forever. Baekhyun was the first to bring their senses back to reality. He said he needed to go to school for a special examination and that they should meet up soon. It was a casual invitation but Chanyeol knew he's hooked.

He was more than just attracted. He thought he's in love. And in love...was he.

Chanyeol missed his show that day and got a mouthful of curses from his manager but it was worth it. For he found his purpose in life. And that was to love this Baekhyun guy. After a couple of meetings, Chanyeol gathered up all his courage and asked Baekhyun officially and the rest, as what all people say, was history.

It was history... until one day, a rainy day, two years and a half after they officialy dated each other. Baekhyun decided to leave. For good. Chanyeol expected it to happen a long time ago. But he was surprised at how strong Baekhyun was to have dragged their relationship all by himself for two years. Chanyeol was always busy with work and all the perks his newly acquired career had gotten him and Baekhyun was always the faithful one to stay up late waiting for him to come home.

Baekhyun was very patient with him but all humans have their limitations and Baekhyun had his own, too. Though Chanyeol thought he was superhuman after all of the martyrdom he displayed for Chanyeol's sake. (All of which, Chanyeol realized a bit too late).

That rainy night, in winter, Chanyeol watched Baekhyun drag his suitcase out the door. Pride stopped Chanyeol from running after him though his heart was screaming at him what a coward he was. The last thing he saw of Baekhyun was a pair of sad eyes that'll haunt him forever. It's been 3 years since that day.

Now, here he is. Drowning himself in a career that separated him from the love of his life. The very same career that made him lose the only person who made his heart beat. Here he is, still feeling guilty and bitter over what he has lost. Still reeling over the pain and emptiness which Baekhyun has left. He knows everything is his fault. That all Baekhyun wanted before is for him to be happy but he was so selfish that he pretended he doesn't care if Baekhyun walks away. He still feels like an idiot for making Baekhyun feel that he is replaceable. He knows now he was so wrong.

Chanyeol will give the world to have Baekhyun back. But that's not how the world works. He needs to be punished some more.

"Look who we have here!" A loud voice startled Chanyeol and his thoughts. When he turns, he sees his long-lost pal, Kim Jongin. They went to high school together and lost contact after they graduated.

Chanyeol is baffled but he smiles. "Hey." He says.

"How are you, dude?! I mean, I see you a lot on tv but seriously, how are you? We really haven't talked since graduation. " Jongin blabbers and grabs the seat in front of Chanyeol.

Chanyeol suddenly feels suffocated. He feels wrong. That he shouldn't be here at this moment. But he doesn't want Jongin to feel unwelcomed so he chuckles, "I'm doing great. Doing a couple of shows here and there but not that much. How about you?"

"Oh. Me? I dropped out after a year in college. You know how school's just not for us." Jongin laughs. "I ended up opening a dance studio. And a year later, I met this someone." Jongin blushes.

"Wow, good for you." Chanyeol answers. Watching someone receive their happy endings is just not something he wants to see now.

"Yeah," Jongin smiles, happiness imminent in his eyes. "Actually, he owns this place."

"Wow." Chanyeol secretly wishes for Jongin to stop talking.

"Oh, there he is." Jongin stands up to greet someone.

When Chanyeol turns his head, that's when the world stops turning. Everything just goes into slow motion and then freezes. There he is. He. Baekhyun. Chanyeol remebers everything about him like they just saw each other just yesterday. The pale skin, the soft hair, the nose, the most beautiful eyes in the whole world, and those lips, those supple lips with the mole on it. Chanyeol can swear on his life that he can taste Baekhyun's lips right now. Baekhyun's face as he goes closer to their table shifts from excitement to shock and then disgust. Chanyeol is too hurt by Baekhyun's look that he's almost thankful for Jongin kissing Baekhyun.

"This is him, Yeol. Baekhyun Byun." Jongin introduces Baekhyun. "Baek, this is, Chanyeol Park. We're highschool buddies. You already know him, I think. You always watch his tv shows." Jongin says.

Baekhyun knows Chanyeol, alright. But not in the way Jongin thinks.

Chanyeol shakes Baekhyun's hand. He is feeling dizzy from this sudden encounter and all of his insides seem to be shaking.

"He's so cute, don't you think?" Jongin chuckles and then kisses the side of Baekhyun's head. "Come babe, sit here." The tension between Chanyeol and Baekhyun grows by the minute.

Chanyeol feels like dying. Good thing Jongin takes Baekhyun's silence as that he is starstruck by Chanyeol. While Chanyeol does his best to be casual and friendly, listening to Jongin's stories about their friends. "Oh, hey, I forgot to tell you. We just got engaged." Jongin holds Baekhyun's hands up, showing Chanyeol the ring he bought for Baek.

Chanyeol's heart shatters like a fallen glass on the floor. He composes himself and mutters a silent, insincere congratulations.

"Yeah, thanks. You should come to the wedding Yeol. I mean, it'll be cool to have a celebrity guest at my wedding." Jongin laughs as if he just said the funniest thing in the world.

Chanyeol sighs. Then he nods, "Of course, I should go."

Baekhyun shots him a look. A glare.

"Good!" Jongin is very happy. "That's awesome. But hey, right now I need to go. I have a dance class at 10. I'm already late but I have an excuse. I leave you to my little Baekhyun here." He laughs. "Bye babe," he leans down and kisses Baekhyun's lips. "Yeol," he gives Chanyeol a salute before walking out of the place, leaving Chanyeol and Baekhyun in an awkward silence.

After what seems to be an eternity, Chanyeol speaks. "So, marrying already, huh?"

"Why are you here, Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol bites his lips. "Hey. I'm sorry."

"For what?" Baekhyun crosses his arms.

Chanyeol sighs. He can't even look at Baekhyun. "For everything. But most of all, for hurting your feelings." He looks at Baekhyun. "I just thought... we need a closure...I need a closure before you, well, get married."

Baekhyun doesn't say anything so Chanyeol gets up. He might as well get drenched by the rain than look at Baekhyun suffering in his presence. He takes a step away, willing himself not to look at Baekhyun. He can't bear to see the same sadness in Baekhyun's eyes for the second time. "I'm sorry, Baek." Chanyeol starts walking away.

"It must've been really covenient without me, huh?"

Chanyeol stops on his tracks, stiff. "You know, when I left you, I thought I was going to die." Baekhyun says softly and then sniffs. "I couldn't think about anything else but you. I couldn't eat nor sleep that the next day I found myself coming back to you." He sniffs again. "But then, I waited for a week. A month. At home, hoping you'd go back and see if I was there but you didn't. I didn't get tired of waiting even after a year."

Tears form inside Chanyeol's eyes. He looks at Baekhyun but he doesn't say anything.

"And then, that rumor about you getting married came out. I almost tried suicide but then Jongin came. He saved me." Baekhyun starts to sob. "He made me see that my world doesn't revolve around someone who doesn't care about me. I never told him it was you."

"Baekhyun, I-"

"No. I don't want to hear your sorry anymore." Baekhyun wipes off his tears. And then he looks at Chanyeol in the eyes. "You said you wanted closure? Here it is. This will be the last time I'm crying over you. This will be the last time I'll think about you."

Chanyeol fights the urge to pull Baekhyun inside his embrace because he believes he's lost the right to do that a long time ago.

"Goodbye, Chanyeol." Baekhyun's last words as he walks away. And Chanyeol knows, this is it. This is the end of it.

 

-end-

 

Prompt: Say no by beast Sorry. Some Christmas crap. Okay. Sorry. Sorry chanyeol. Sorry all.