final.

of first snows and first loves

there was a saying that said if you catch a snowflake from the first snow on your fingertip, then there was a chance of meeting your first love. 

soojung never believed that was true but her friends surely did. so when the first snow came during their lunch break at school, she wasn’t surprise to see her closest friends and other girls in her class run to the classroom windows to stick their fingertips out. she rolled her eyes at their actions, appalled people actually believed in that sort of nonsense. 

“soojung-ah, aren’t you going to catch one?” jinri asked, her arm hanging out of the windowsill. soojung waved it off. “why would i?”

jinri shot her best friend a look before walking over to drag soojung out of her seat. “c’mon, soojung! it’s fun! don’t be a party pooper - just try it. there’s no harm.”

“she's right, soojung. there really is no harm in it,” sunyoung called out from her spot by the window. “if you catch one, you catch one. if you don’t, you don’t.”

soojung looked at all the other girls whose upper bodies were desperately hanging out the window. she scoffed, “they all look so desperate, jinri. i don’t need a boyfriend and i’m not that desperate to find one. when the time comes and i meet a guy, then there we go.”

jinri pouted and tugged on her arm. “please just try it? just for experience? who knows, you might catch one!”

“jinri, if i try to catch one, will you stop bothering me?” 

“about this or about boys in general?”

“boys in general?” 

“...fine.” with that soojung slowly got up from her seat and allowed her tall friend to drag her to the open window. she shivered at the sudden drop in temperature and the cold breeze making its way into the classroom. she buttoned up her blazer and gave jinri a look questioning if she really had to go through with this. her tall friend just giggled and gestured her to stick her hand out of the window before she proceeded to do the same.

soojung slowly extended her hand out into the cold, her palm and index finger facing up towards the sky. she glanced at jinri and sunyoung who wore similar smiles and rosy cheeks. she waited impatiently with her head resting in her other hand, elbow propped on the windowsill for about five minutes, watching as cars drove past the gate of her school, before she felt something cold the tip of her finger. 

she gasped and pulled her finger in to see a small snowflake. before she could laugh about it to jinri and sunyoung, it melted. 

“hmm, what is it, soojung?” jinri asked, her eyes still on her own finger tip.

“i caught one,” she chuckled.

“what?!” jinri shouted, her hair almost whipping soojung in the face. she grabbed her friend’s hand and examined it closely. “i don’t see anything!”

“it already melted, you doofus.”

“that’s not fair! you weren’t even trying and you caught one,” jinri huffed.

“it’s ‘cause you’re too desperate for chanyeol to notice you, hun,” sunyoung teased. “just go with the flow and stop expecting things to happen. be more like soojung.”

“whatever, i’m gonna keep trying!”

“you do that while i take a walk outside,” soojung patted jinri on the shoulder and shoving her towards the window. 

“don’t forget your scarf, soojung! it’s cold outside,” sunyoung gestured to the scarf hanging on soojung’s chair. 

“got it, mom!” soojung grabbed her scarf before making her way out the classroom, down the stairs, out the front doors of the school. she found herself tightening her scarf around her neck as she headed towards the school’s garden path which was slowly being sprinkled with the beautiful white droplets of snow. 

she walked with her palm up, catching all the snowflakes her could, while making her way through the path, loving the feeling little ice drops touching her skin. she was so into watching the first snowfall that she didn’t realize someone walking down the path, doing the exact same thing.

she closed her eyes, enjoying the snowfall, and before she knew it, her small body collided with another. she felt herself slipping and flailed about and before she could hit the floor, she felt an arm wrap around her waist. “oh, sorry about that,” a deep voice said as he pulled her close and she placed an arm on his broad shoulder to steady herself.

“no, it’s no problem,” she said as she let go. she looked up to thank the boy and her brown eyes widened when she realized who it was - oh sehun of class 3-b, mister tall, dark, and handsome himself. he was the mysterious boy, along with his best friend, kim jongin, that all the girls were chasing after. “t-thank you,” she stammered, taking a step back.

“anytime, jung soojung,” he chuckled. 

“you know my name?” she was shocked. this was the first time they’ve held a conversation. 

“of course i do,” sehun glanced at her as he continued to watch the snowfall. “it’s only right that the ice prince of the school is aware of the ice princess.”

“oh right, of course,” she replied sarcastically. side by side, they stood in silence after that small exchange and watched the first snow hit the ground.

“so what are you doing out her, oh sehun?” she questioned, looking at the handsome boy with now rosy cheeks.


“i saw you make your way down to the garden and thought you needed some company. the first snowfall of the year should be shared with someone you think is worth sharing with,” he answered smoothly. she felt her cheeks flush with color and turn away. this was the first time she was caught off guard and flustered by a boy’s words.

“you think so?” 

“i know so, jung soojung,” he stated looking her straight in the eye. “and i hope that i can share more moments like this with you...that is, if you let me.” he grinned and extended his hand towards her. 

soojung examined his face which wore the most genuine look she had ever seen during a confession. she didn’t know him very well but there was a small inkling in her heart that was pushing her to accept it, to give it a chance, and so she did. 

slowly but surely, she gave him not only her hand but her heart as well.

she didn’t believe the saying of first snows and first loves to be true, but there was always room for change. she just had to wait and see how things played out.