Hopelessly Attached

Hopelessly Attached

It was December 25th. 

I clearly remember that day because it was Chritsmas. Full of celebrations and everyone was either with their families or with their lovers but I was walking alone as I can recall. I don't have anyone that close to actually spend my Christmas together. Well until today. I met this one guy from an online dating site and somehow we exchanged our names and numbers, talked about some things, I don't know it happened fast but he really seemed like a nice guy. 

Seriously, if you were to chat with him, you would know how nice he was. Or maybe...

How fake he was actually. I realized it later. 

So I arrived at the restaurant we promised to meet, and I waited for him for about 2 hours, hoping for a miracle. Maybe my first ever love story and I was so damn excited. Until, I got a call from him saying that needs about A Million dollar for this stuffs he had a problem to enter South Korea from his origin country. At first I was shocked but then, after. I figured out, that he was a scam. I called him immediately. 

"Oh my God, is this really happening?" I acted as if I was worried. 

"Yes, love. I am having troubles and it would be fine if you transfer 1 Million to my bank account. I ned to settle this problem before entering South Korea." He said sounded 'honest and true'

" YOU, YOU'RE A SCAMMER! AIN'T ONE PENNY FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT WILL REACH YOU, YOU !" I shouted infront of everyone else and left the restaurant after paying for the bills. 

It wasn't the fact that he wants my money that I am pissed, it's the fact that I thought I was about to get the love I deserve to get but it was a scam! How can someone scam a person's heart and love for money! Especially to someone like me! I feel like cursing so much. My Christmas is not so merry anyway. I was so damn frustrated. I went to my office cause, maybe with this anger, I would draw better. Oh, yes. Did I mention that I am actually an illustrator for webtoons. 

As I was walking to my office, I felt like I could really use a moment to walk alone before I start drawing. I went to the park and I saw an ice cream truck. It is really rare to see an ice cream truck in Korea and by rare I mean this is my first time to actually see an ice cream truck around. So I went to the ice cream truck and maybe, as a woman, I would need a moment to enjoy an ice cream after a heartbreak. 

"Erm, hi." I greeted the ice cream guy sadly. 

"Hi, I'm Ahn Daniel. Which flavor would you like to choose?" He asked me cheerfully. 

"It's okay. Just, I need cookies and cream for three scoops." I said and looked down. 

"So, how was your Christmas? Or are you celebrating alone?" The guy asked. 

"I choose not to share." I said politely and smiled. 

"It's okay. I would totally understand if you won't share." He said before putting a spade of icecream in my cup. "And, actually it's spades, not scoops." He smiled.

"Is there a difference besides the thing you use to scoop it up?" I asked.

"Yes, this is a gelato ice cream. Itallian traditional ice cream." He smiled. "Ice cream, generally, uses creams while gelato, uses milk and has a lower percentage of fats and the texture is basically softer." 

"Oh, that's informative." I said.

"Here's your cookies and cream. Thank you for coming." He smiled. "Merry Christmas!" 

I smiled and just wished he didn't say that. I didn't really enjoy the gelato. I mean, it was nice but, I was devastated. I wanted to call my mom but I am pretty sure if I call her, I would ruin her festive mood so I decided to sit at a bench nearby and cry on my own. This wasn't like those romantic movies, it's nothing lose to 'We met from the internet and fall in love' kind of thing. Love story doesn't exist. Maybe not for me. I didn't feel like drawing, I didn't feel like eating everything . All I need is maybe a drink. I wanna go drunk.

"Are, you okay?" The ice cream guy asked me.

I wiped my tears and faked a smile. 

"Yeah, I am." I get sick of pretending to be okay. Being sad alone. Having no one to talk to. I am so sick of everything. "No! No! I am not okay and I really hope someone expected my answer to be 'NO' cause I am so tired of faking my feelings, just everything!" I cried and threw the gelato that I ate for only 2 spoons on the floor. 

"Poor gelato though." He said. "Hey, here. A tub of cookies and creams. Every girls deserves a tub of ice cream when they're sad." 

"Wow, no! If you're trying to make me pay more. No!" I said. 

"No, it's my 'service'" He said and smiled. 

However he didn't leave right away. It was as if he was waiting for me to say something. Something he wanted to hear. Fine, yes I did  share my story to this unknown gelato guy who gave me a tub of ice cream. 

"Erm, I am a loser." I told him and he laughed. 

"What makes you a loser? I mean a loser is at least good at being what he or she at. I mean, I am aloser too but I wish to listen to you first,damsel in distress." 

"Where to start?" I questioned myself. "Well, I have a problem with love. I'm probably the worst at it. No actually, I have never had a chance to actually handle with it, the moment I want to try and be in love, it would screw up on it's own. It doesn't even give me a chance to actually try and I think I'm probably good at it." I told him. "I am not desperate but I am so sick of myself watching and admiring romantic movies and I can't help to wonder if my love,can somehow be as good as movies. Or movies are just scripted by someone who longs for love too."

"So you watch alot of movies?" He asked

"I'm a huge fan of romantic movies, it can be romantic comedy too. I'm spoiled to feel so many feelings." I told him. "I can wrap myself with a blanket and sleep on the couch watching movies and cry all night. I'm just hopelessly attached to the idea of love so perfect in movie."

"I know but you know some of my friends actually had her movie-like-love and I saw it with my own eyes and I guess I kinda hope it was me" It was true. My friend married a man who saved her Jimmy Choo's heels when she went to a beach. My friend took off her heels and left it near the shore since we happened to hang out near the beach and thought of playing and she took off her heels since we told her, it's stupid to wear heels at the beach. Somehow, when we were playing with each other, the waves swept away her heels. Can I take you on my flashback?

"MY JIMMY CHOO!!!" She screamed.

"Hana, it's only a pair of heels." I said to her.

"I saved up alot of money for that pair of Jimmy Choo, Hyemi!!" She told me. 

We were all originally a bad swimmer. So we could only watch her cry over her heels, until a guy who happened to be near took her heels when it came near the shore where that guy stood. So to make things short, they get to know one another and just last summer, they got married. 

---

"So they got married?" He asked me.

"Yes, so you see that is why I think, maybe somehow..."

"Somehow you would have the same kind of thing?" He was smiling at me. "I might not understand what it feels like to actually be attached to romantic movies. It is getting late, shouldn't you be home?" 

"Oh, I guess I am. Oh , it's late." I was late and I would probably won't be going to my office to draw. I just do not have the mood for it. 

"It's dangerous to walk alone, would you like me to send you home?" He asked. 

"It's dangerous to go home with a stranger too, you know?" I told him cause it was true that he is a stranger. 

"True. Fine, you drive my ice cream truck to wherever nearest to your home. I mean, maybe if you do not trust me." He told me.

It was like a man trying to give his all to an unknown woman his trust, so yes I did drive my first truck without any liscence driving a truck. It was basically my first experience driving an ice cream truck too! We talked about more of my problems and the movies I really enjoy watching. Well, I lost a chance with love tonight but maybe, I just gained a friend.

"Hey, thanks for the ride in your ice cream truck. Probably my first time!" I told him excitedly. 

"You were the one who drove." He smiled. 

"Hey, what's your name again?" I asked 

"Ahn Daniel!" He went inside his truck and handed me a paper. "You've told me alot about yourself. More like your flaws and I did tell you mine. I might feel weird if I told of my life to a stranger. Maybe you would to. So, friends?" He asked.

"Yea, no longer strangers. Friends." I smiled. "Oh, and trust me, your lips are not hideous, they're special" I told him regarding his problems that he told me he has never been in love as well. Most people are disgusted by his thick lips. But no one can blame him, everyone's special. "And, my name is Hyemi." 

I entered my house and took off my heels, removed my make up and took the spoon. I the tv and played another movie. I just feel like sleeping on the couch again tonight. I ate the cookies and cream gelato Niel gave to me. Well, it tasted nicer afterall. She threw the ice cream away and didn't really get to know the real taste. 

"It's good." I smiled. 

I took the paper he gave me and it was his phone number. I sent him a message through kakaotalk.

'Now that i've tasted the gelato, it's really nice.' - Hyemi

'I wasn't expecting any contact from you actually. I mean, I thought you wanted to remain strangers.' -Niel

'I thought we just agreed to be friends? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ' - Hyemi

'We did. Ah~ and glad you enjoyed that icecream' -Niel

'I'm watching this movie titled What If. You said you wanted to try and watch the kind of movies I watch. So I am giving one for you.' -Hyemi

'I am not sure if you would enjoy it' -Hyemi

'What if I do?' -Niel

'I'll look up for it right away' -Niel

'Great!' -Hyemi

We actually made a pretty good friend. I mean, he was really nice and funny. He's the prankster kind of guy who enjoys giving joy to people by selling ice creams. I would come over to his ice cream truck every once in awhile when he's anywhere near my office. Honestly, I really like his company. I do have other friends, mostly girls but you know sometimes girls can have too much emotions and you know how many knives women would have to stab on anyone they want. When I'm tired of gossiping, at least Niel is there to just share some funny stories. He started to watch some of the reccommended movies I told him to but in return, he told me to enjoy animation movies the way he does. We would talk on the phone about the movie we watched. 

That night, after we went out for a movie night, not together. We went seperately. Niel called me right after the movie. 

"God, Hyemi bless your patient little heart. How can you handle those feelings. I almost yelled in the cinema to tell that guy to confess to Rosie!" Niel complained. "But Love, Rosie is good" 

"See? I mean, they were both confused. You can't blame them." I told him while I take a sip of the beer I just took out of the fridge.

"I think I can. Though at times, love can disguise it in different forms of relationships. You should always know it's there." Niel told me. 

"Exactly what I was thinking about!" I told him. "I mean, and at times, love can be so spiteful. When you need it, it leaves but when you hate it and just hope that love won't come anytime soon, it comes and hit you with a truck..." I remained silent as I realized we were getting deeper with the conversation.

"Like an A-class douchebag?" Niel said and let out a laugh. "Well, I think of love differently." Niel said.

"Oh really? And how?" 

"Well, love... it comes whenever it wants, it leaves whenever it wants. Sounds pretty same with your kind of ideology in love but it is a completely different idea."

Niel talked slowly and calmly. "No one is ready for love. Love is like an impromptu. Love is something that would come when we're not ready for it and it will leave when we're hanging on it. Pretty cruel but, that's love." Niel said.

"Painful." I told him.

"The pain, is somehow a part of the pleasure when we're in love. Pain, comes together with love like a set of McDonald's Lunch set. Big Mac comes with fries and coke." Niel joked. 

"And BigMac is somehow another form of love." I told him.

"I love fats and cheese." Niel laughed. "Hey, so how was Big Hero 6 that I told you to watch?" 

"It was lovely! Can I say I cried 3 times?" 

"Is it worth your tears?" Niel sounded shocked.

"Yes! It definitely was! It was great!!" I told him. "Hey, have you ever happened to read novels by this author name Lee Dan? It's one of the bestsselling novel in Korea right now. Besides, movies I really really love reading his novels!" I told him. "His novels are the only novels I read. All of his love stories sounded so real and just so relatable." I told him.

"And you fell in love with the boys from his novels?" Niel asked. 

"Kind of." 

"I read his novels too. I mean it's everywhere in the bookstores and most of my friends told me it's a really good writer." 

"Hey, Niel. Why did you decided to be an ice cream truck seller? I mean, you clearly have a really bright personality. I think there must have been something else that would suit you better." I told him.

"You know, my reason might sound stupid but I like talking to people. How people came to my ice cream truck, sharing their stories. Sometimes they would randomly came and tell me they had a bad day, they met someone they like and they felt good to have ice creams. I never knew how different people carries different kinds of stories. It's just so amazing."

"You're a good listener." I complimented him and it was true. He is.

So we ended up talking until 2 a.m. We didn't plan for that to happen actually. I mean we get from one topic to another and to another. In the end, yeah I ended up falling asleep in the middle of a conversation. I thought I was dreaming but I did heard him said something, I was just too sleepy to differentiate it between a dream or reality.

"Sweet dreams, Hyemi." 

It was about 3 months after knowing Niel and finally, I was free enough to hang out with him. I was rushing with my webtoons for the past 2 months. My deadlines kept on coming closer and closer. It really left me sleeping for almost 4 days at the office. So, I had to come up with a new concept for my webtoon. I spent 2 days brainstorming for my next webtoon. I had to or else I won't be able to get my 3 weeks break. Niel tried helping me to get ideas but I was too blind to see that the idea was infront of me. The man I was texting. Niel is pretty good. I got the idea to draw him to get the whole idea for my next webtoon. The whole storyline wasn't relevant yet.

I presented my idea and YES! I was cleared for 3 weeks holiday.

I met Niel at the park where he would always be there with his ice cream truck and I entered the truck when he was handing a cone of ice cream to a little girl.

"Here you go." Niel handed the ice cream and patted the girl's head. 

"Look who's finally free for her 3 weeks holiday!!!" I announced happily.

"JUNG HYEMI~" Niel said and hugged me. "Wow, you really do stink." Niel said referring to how many days I've been sleeping at the office. 

"Thank you for the compliment." I told him. "Hey, look. I got us a pair of tickets to watch this new movie together." I showed him the tickets. It was a ticket to this indie movie that was showing at a nearby theater. 

"Oh cool! Thanks!" Niel said. "Hey, surprisingly I was about to ask you for dinner cause I know how many days you've spent in the office eating no other food besides Jjajjangmyun and Ramen. So, my treat! Please do not refuse my sincerity asking you out for dinner cause I am your- " Niel stopped smiling when he was talking as if he realized that we were afterall, only.. "Friend" he said and looked down. 

"Yea.. you're my friend. Why not?" I told him and felt awkward.

That night was the start of the end. It was the start actually but it was actually the end. Niel's ideology in love is alot more accurate than mine. Which devastatingly left me in despair. I can't believe I was too dumb to end everything for something I didn't let him explain. We went for the dinner and I swear it was the best meal I have ever had after I spent my days eating only instant noodles and delivery foods. Which . I never knew Niel was actually that rich to actually reserve a seat a very beautiful restaurant. The food was great, the environment was lovely. I regretted wearing something so casual to a classy restaurant. 

"You should have told me we were going to this kind of restaurant. I would have wore something nicer." I told him.

"Chill. I am wearing casual too. Why go formal for a good food? I need to be comfortable." He told me after ordering the food. 

We went for the movies too. Somehow the movie was so nice that we ended up feeling awkward. About everything. We just felt awkward. 

"Hey, do you want to have some drink at my house?" Niel said to ease the awkwardness.

"Sure. Why not." 

The moment I entered his house, it was the start to the end. He lived in a studio condominium. It was so damn big for an ice cream seller. Just everything was starting to get suspicious. Not to forget the amount of book shelves he had. He has a large collection of books. Just a massive amount of books. I was in awed. 

"Your house, is a little too big for an ice cream seller." I told him. 

"Looking down on me, are you?" Niel laughed. 

I was expecting for just some bottle of soju but he came to the living room with a bottle of wine. "Wow, you never told me about this side of you." I told him.

"I think I am telling you now. I mean, I can't just tell you 'hey I own a studio crib and bottles of wine, I am secretly filthy rich' That way, you would have hated me." He joked. It wasn't offensive.He was right. 

We had a few glass of drink and I took a walk around his house. He went to the kitchen to take some ice cream as he said he would want me to watch his favorite movie together. I happened to enter a room, it was a bit messy. When I entered the room, it was filled with Lee Dan's books, signed. Which I thought he was a BIG BIG fan of him. It was a bit scary. I looked around until I saw a whiteboard next to his study table. 

Whatever it is, it was freaking me out. Was he stalking me? That time, I saw his computer and it was on. He was replying an email. Until I found out, he was an author. He's Lee Dan. All those books with his signature. He was Lee Dan. But, he's an ice cream seller. Then, I think everything made sense. He told me once that he became an ice cream truck guy because, it was fascinating how different people carries different kind of stories with them. How people shared stories with him. He was inspired by all those people. But from my point of view, what I saw right now was he was exploiting my friendship with him, he was exploiting my stories, my experience to make a fool out of myself and gets it published. I thought my heart was telling me that finally, I get someone who would love me, I admit that I fell in love with him but if this was the meaning behind all of this, then love is just a bull that automatically gives the 2nd person the authorities to make a fool of myself. 

Niel was infront of the door. 

"I can explain." He told me.

"You know what, Ahn Daniel the ice cream seller, I am doubting if your name is even Niel. Maybe Lee Dan?!" I asked him.

"Let me explain." He followed me out of the room.

"I don't know if you're a stalker or you are exploiting my stories and experience for your novels but I can't believe you are listening to all of my stories and spent your time with me just, JUST TO GET IT INTO YOUR NEXT NOVEL!" I yelled at him. I was mad. I felt like, all of our conversation was a lie. All of it, it was as if he did it all so that he would get the best story for his novel. 

"Hyemi! Listen to me. I am not exploiting you." He held my hand. 

"Hey, you know what? Don't forget to put my name in your 'Thanks To' cause yea maybe I deserve the credit for being exploited." I took my coats and bags and got ready to leave. "Oh yeah, thank you for faking your sincerity in listening and sharing your stories. I don't know how to trust you anymore."

He held me once again but I let go. "Thank you for making me realize YOUR IDEOLOGY IN LOVE IS WRONG AND I AM RIGHT! See who's the biggest loser now?" I said with tears running down my cheeks. "I really thought I should trust my heart to just let myself fall for you cause, it could land anywhere but I decided that it was okay to fall for you. It was worth the fall. But I didn't know my heart was just falling to pieces with you. I've told you, love leaves the moment you need it." 

I entered the lift and pressed the ground floor. "I really liked you, Ahn Daniel." I kneeled in the lift and cried. 

Niel tried calling me countless of times and I ignored every texts, every kakaotalk messages. It was too painful for me. I really liked him. I never knew I was merely a friend to him. Just a person who gives him more ideas for his stories. I really thought of spending my 3 weeks holiday with him. Helping him out at his Gelato Truck but, I ended up spending it at home, watching more and more movies. Alone. Eating cookies and cream gelato. I was determined to get over him once the gelato finishes but after it finishes, I long for it more. I wanted to go and buy them at other gelato shop but they served it in scoops instead of in spades. 

"Why can't you guys get it right?! It is not served in scoops!" I cried. I actually did. Everything reminded me of him. 

I was back to work. My phone was loaded with messages from Niel. I read them but he didn't explain anything. The only thing he said was, it is too complicated to be said on the phone. I continued my new webtoon about the Gelato Truck Guy. Everytime I draw it, it would look exactly like Niel and it was about a guy who listens to the customer's stories. Different people, different stories. About how fascinating everyone is and he would always help them. Every once in a while I drew, I would break down and cry.

I guess I must have liked him alot. 

I fell asleep and suddenly someone took a chair and sat next to me. I was surprised and woke up to Niel's voice. 

"I can imagine how much you would hate me right now. But for now I only have a few minutes to talk because I broke through your company's security to enter. So, please listen to me Jung Hyemi." Niel held my hand. I was still half asleep.

"Wha- what are you doing?" I asked him sleepily.

"At first, I was really really honest. The moment you were at the park, I really felt you needed help and I was sincere when I gave you the tub. I felt like you are a really interesting person and I really wanted to be your friend. I was sincere. Yes I am the novelist Lee Dan. I know. After being friends with you I know, your stories, your life was worth a story to be told. I was and I am writing a story about you. I am not exploiting you. I swear to God I am not and there isn't any moment in life when I took you for granted" He told me seriously.

"I am doubting you." I told him.

"Oh come on Jung Hyemi. Then, can I be mad at you for drawing me? For drawing my Gelato truck? Can I be mad at you for drawing an exact pose I do when I am taking orders for my custormers? Can I be mad at you for drawing my lips thicker than it should be?" He was referring to all sample drawing of him I did for my new webtoons. He pointed at the drawing of an exact pose he does when he takes orders. "And, you can no longer be attahced with your movies now can you? Every movies felt bitter. Every movies is no longer as nice as it used to be because, you've own yourself a sweeter love story." 

"I did not draw your lips thicker!" I said.

"Come on, Hyemi. Look, I am honored to be your story. I am honored to be in one of your works and I need to tell you, the more I write about you, the deeper I get into you, the more I know you, the more I want to write about you. I can't stop thinking about you. You are too beautiful to be a story. You are so beautiful and I am happy that I can write a beautiful story about a really special person. Jung Hyemi, I am falling deeper in love with you every minute and every moment I spend with you."

I cried and I know he's telling the truth. I want to believe him and I want him. He's the best thing that happened in my life. He also serves the best Gelato.

"And, Jung Hyemi, trust me I am writing your story and it is the best story I have ever written about because you're the best thing that has ever happened in my life." He hugged me right after he confessed to me. 

"I really love you." I cried in his arms.

"I love you too. I really do Jung Hyemi." He hugged me harder and kissed my head. "Love, comes when we are never ready for it. Like the best kind of surprise." He reminded me. 

So, yes, I finally got my first love and it was worth the wait, worth the pain. I figured out that I have finally got my own love story. Like those in movies. Well, at least mine wasn't in movies. Niel's novel hit the best seller list and my webtoon got most views the first episode it was released. Alot of people were comparing our stories saying it was related. They were right. Some wondered why. Some said I plagiarized his idea, some said plagiarized his. But the truth was, we were just two person in love writing about ourselves. I might sound like a loser for finally getting my own love story at this age but at least I get a writer and he owns a Gelato truck. So, who's the biggest loser now? 

 

Just kidding.

Your love story will come soon.

Till then, this was The Pitiful Life of the Hopelessly Attached, Jung Hyemi. Wait. I am no longer attached to romantic movies. I am hopelessly attahced to Ahn Daniel.

I think that's better.