Kili's Hat

Kili's Hat

Kili tucked the last gold leaf on his hat and held it at eye level. A satisfied grin curled his lips as he inspected his creation. The young Dwarves planned a themed Christmas party for themselves, at least until the not-so-young ones got wind of it and wanted in. But in order to be admitted to the party, the children insisted that they must come wearing Christmas ornaments they have crafted.

Dwarves are skilled with their hands, a gift from their maker, Mahal. With a chance to showcase their workmanship and a competitive spirit - the best costume wins a chest of jewels, courtesy of the royal treasury- everyone was determined to outdo one another all in good fun.

But Kili wasn't interested in the jewels. There was no greater prize than what he had in mind. It was far more precious than all gems under the mountain combined. His heart skipped a beat before it thumped loudly in his chest in mixed anticipation and determination. Before the end of this night, he will claim his prize and no one shall stand in his way!

As he walked down the halls in royal blue and silver, he thrived in the attention his special hat received. Each colored leaf and fruit was strategically placed, but they were just minor players in the grand scheme of things. It was what was on top and center that mattered.

It wasn't Dwarvish, not even Elvish. The idea was something the Humans came up with. In one of his trips to Dale two days ago, his wandering gaze caught a cluster of white berries in a bouquet of oval, evergreen leaves nailed on top of a door, like some sort of decoration. He stopped by the establishment and asked the flustered shop owner what it was.

The answer wasn't quite what he was expecting but it greatly pleased him that he set out immediately to where he could find them. The plant wasn't a tree, but a parasite to a tree. Even though he wasn't fond of heights and despite his guards warnings, Kili climbed the silver birch with much gusto and plucked himself a basket of mistletoe.

For under the mistletoe, lovers are expected to kiss!

His lips stretched wide at the memory and what was about to happen.

The doors of grand hall opened wide and his arrival was announced. It was no longer a Christmas party but rather, a Christmas Eve Festival - what with tables overflowing with sumptious food and drinks - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic - lining the whole perimeter. Above him, decorative lanterns and garlands hung across the ceiling. The walls were draped in jewel-toned fabrics. At the center is a Douglas fir tree that was surrounded with gifts at the base. The tree was unadorned - for they were still wearing the ornaments - but the tree would be festive just like its surroundings before midnight.

The Dwarves of Erebor and their guests roamed about the open space wearing all possible ornament in every shape and color that were meticulously incorporated in their garments.

He looked around and spotted his uncle, the King Under the Mountain, wearing the royal colors with a golden bell pattern in his robe that matched the bells jingling in his belt and the one in his hand. He was leaning slightly forward towards a child, who held a parchment in his hand - perhaps the program. They let the children organize the party and the adults assisted them.

Far to his left, Fili stood in a red and silver ensemble, very fashionable with a necklace of metal ornament balls. His hands tucked behind him as he entertained each and every Dwarven lass that was enamored by him. He caught his brother's glance and grinned.

Bilbo wore a bell-shaped cap made from leaves. And Gandalf the Grey's staff was wrapped in red and white ribbons. He found the rest of the company having fun, even Dwalin was adorned with hollies and ribbons but still managed to look dignified. Kili greeted each one of them.

His gaze swept from left to right, his heart searching and hoping, until it tripped before it went on a full gallop at the vision before him. Tauriel was wearing a square necklined gown in a rich emerald green fabric that clung to her upper torso perfectly and cascaded in soft waves to the marble floor. The sleeves poofed at the top then fit the entire length of her arms, similar to the style worn by Dwarven ladies. On her head was a crown of silver stars that shone against the red of her hair, which was gathered in intricate braids. A star pendant rested at the middle of her chest, brilliant, just like her eyes. He helped her make them but he never realized how perfect the crown and necklace were until she wore them.

He wasted no time and crossed the remaining distance, with his heart in his throat. He reached for her hands and held them close to his chest, as their gazes locked. "My lady of starlight," he uttered reverently.

"Prince Kili," she replied softly, a pink blush coloring her cheeks.

"You are the most beautiful ornament in this hall. I shall see to it that the crown on your head be placed at the very top of our tree."

A fierce red burned the tips of her ears as she looked down on their clasped hands and it made her even more beautiful. His heart took a dive and wreaked havoc inside its cage.

"Thank you. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have been able to make it." Slowly, her eyes lifted and widened. "And your hat..." She took in the hat he wore that, belatedly he realized, almost, ALMOST, reached the top of her head. "I love what you did with the leaves and berries. It reminds me of the forest in autumn. It truly is wonderful."

This is not happening, he thought in panic. How in the world did he mess up with his measurements. His hat was supposed to make him taller than her. And with the mistletoe on top, this should have been perfect. He groaned inwardly.

"Prince Kili..." He jerked his head up and saw the creases in her forehead. "Have I said something to displease you?"

"No, no my lady." He tried for a smile but it felt stiff.

"Then, something is bothering you?"

He shook his head frantically. "No. No. It's nothing. Just a stray thought. It was nothing."

She regarded him skeptically and looked as though she was about to say more, when he heard his mother or rather the Queen of Poinsettia calling them.

"Shall we?"


The festivity soon began and loud, raucous laughter roared, reverberating inside the halls, accompanied by applause as groups of Dwarves performed in front of everyone. Kili watched and gave the appropriate response but his mind was elsewhere. There was no time to fix his hat. And he could not bear to ask her to make herself smaller. BUT he could make himself taller by standing on a stool, a chair, or a raised step. His spirits lifted as he scanned the vast hall.

Kili set his plan into action. He led Tauriel towards the side and hopped on a chair.

"Tauriel."

He jerked his head in surprise and his eyes narrowed into slits.

"Legolas!" she gasped. Loathe he was to admit, but the Elven Prince was looking sharp and elegant in forest green and gold. He even came wearing a crown of hollies on his head. But red berries don't get kisses, white does!

The smile he bestowed on her unnerved him, even more when the Prince smirked upon seeing him standing on top of a chair.

Kili jumped back down to marble floor and stood by her side, all the while glaring at the intruder.

"Might I have a word with you?" Legolas asked Tauriel, before sparing him a glance. "In private."

Kili would have said no, but Tauriel beat him to it much to his disappointment.

 

Kili watched them from afar, as he tried in vain to pay attention to the Dwarven lads and ladies, their fathers and mothers. He wanted to be a fly on the wall and eavesdrop on their conversation. When he heard her melodious laughter, his stomach knotted. And when she fell into silence, blood rushed to his ears like a roaring flood. His fists clenched as he fought for control. He couldn't lose her to anyone.

Only a month passed since the war, since he confessed his love by the lake and he was certain she felt the same way, though she needed a little more time and convincing that what they have is real. She is terrified, and so is he. They are crossing new territory but it was a beautiful territory, a paradise. Sure, there would be difficult times but they could withstand it together. He had never felt so strongly about anyone before, as if his life would lose its purpose without her. Just the
mere thought of spending the rest of his life without her killed him inside.

He was certain with what he felt, and he decided that tonight, he would make things official. He had been patient with her, thwarted all her efforts of pushing him away or even pulling away from him. After her conversation with Legolas, which felt like hours rather than the minutes it actually was, Kili used every chance he got to secure a chair but it was like a game of moving chairs. He led her around the hall in a mad chase. Why was there a lack of chairs?! I just need one chair! Or a raised platform!

"What seems to be the matter?"

Her voice cut through his single-minded determination to find a chair. "It's supposed to be perfect. It's supposed to have happened already."

"Your Highness?"

There she goes again, calling him with some title he couldn't care about. He spun around and faced her. "See these berries?" He pointed vaguely on top of his head. "It's called mistletoe."

"Yes, I know. Our healers use it to make medicine." Her voice was level and calm but he could read the wariness in her eyes. He was scaring her, he thought ruefully.

"It's more than that," he said, exasperation leaking not only from his voice but his whole demeanor. "It's... It's..." He looked away, feeling so frustrated at himself.

"What is it?"

He released the air he was holding and his shoulders sagged at the unfairness of it all. "There's this tradition..." His eyes lifted and was met with her intent gaze. She was listening. "When... under the mistletoe... when you stand under the mistletoe, with someone... you should kiss." It all sounded silly to his ears now that he had said it out loud. But Tauriel merely blinked at him, her brows meeting in confusion.

"You still don't get it?" She shook her head. "This tall hat should make me taller than you and would put the mistletoe above us so that... so that..."

A weight was lifted off him and he was reduced to a sputtering mess.

"How's this then?" Tauriel wore his hat, blinding him with another one of her smiles. And the mistletoe was far above both of them now.

Without another word, not that he lost coherence or his mental faculties, he reached behind her neck and pulled her until their eyes were level. The fire from the forges of Mahal burned in his veins.

"Tauriel of Mirkwood, my feelings for you never changed. They only grow stronger each passing day. It is my fervent hope that I be permitted to spend all the days of my life with you by my side. Be my wife, my lady of starlight, now and forever."

"Your High-"

"Enough with the titles. I have a name and I much rather hear it uttered from your lips."

"Oh Kili," her voice choked with thick emotion, her eyes glistening with what he hoped was happiness. "I have fought with every strength I have not to feel for you. But I lost, time and time again. I love you. I love you with everything that I have, that I am. Take it, my love, take it from me. It's yours."

"And I'm yours." He smiled and captured her lips under the mistletoe.

 


Word spread about the mistletoe and Kili's hat that it got passed around. Needless to say, Kili won best costume for the night and as his prize, he asked that Tauriel's star crown be the topper of their Christmas tree. After everyone hung their ornaments, save for Gandalf's staff, Kili excitedly announced that everyone will take home at least one jewel from the chest. He didn't need any of it, for beside him stood, the most precious jewel of all.