Alone

Alone

Jonghyun sits alone in a corner of the cafe that he goes to nearly everyday. He brings his cherished things along as usual: a guitar, songsheets, and his memories. He orders the same drinks as always: two large mocha frappuccino with whipped cream. He places one drink in front of him and one on the other side of the table. And everytime he comes to the cafe, he plays the same song over and over again. Today isn't an exception, he takes out his guitar after finishing his frappe and starts playing a melody. His voice sings along softly. The song, however, doesn't sound complete. After all, Jonghyun is singing alone. The only thing different about today is that he feels happier and more relaxed. The hint of sadness that was always reflected in his eyes is now gone, and replaced with some other emotion that he can't quite put his finger on. Contentment? Sorrow? He doesn't know, but he figures that he'll probably figure it out soon. He leaves the cafe for the last time.

The next place he goes to is the park. It has already become a routine for Jonghyun, he is used to it. He sits on the bench he always sits on. Couples are walking everywhere in the park, and Jonghyun smiles sadly while watching them. A child is running but trips in front of Jonghyun. He immediately helps her up and she smiles bashfully. "Thank you ahjussi!" She runs off and waves at him. Ahjussi? He touches his cheeks and wrinkles can be felt. "I guess when you're missing someone, you lose track of time.." He doesn't remember how long it has been. But it's okay. Soon, he won't have to remember anymore. He glances at the initials carved on the bench.
JH + JE.
He leaves the park for the last time.

It is already evening time, and as Jonghyun walks home, for some reason, he feels more excited as every second passes. A drop of rain falls onto the ground, and soon, the sidewalk becomes wet and cold. However, Jonghyun doesn't notice. After all, he is used to walking in the rain. Seeing that he is drenched, a woman walks up and offers to share her umbrella with him. If today was any other day, Jonghyun will decline politely. But today he makes an exception and accepts her offer, not forgetting to thank her. After all, he probably won't be able to feel loved after today.
He thanks the lady again when they arrive outside his apartment. As soon as the elevator doors open on the seventh floor, he sees the blue and pink locks on the bars of his door locked together, and smiles sadly.
He leaves the elevator for the last time.

Jonghyun is cooking instant ramen again. Like always, he cooks two packets: one with an egg, and one without an egg. He knows that Jieun doesn't like eggs. He puts down one bowl in front of him and another opposite him. "Let's eat.." he says and starts to eat his ramen. He isn't certain whether the soup tastes salty because he added too much seasoning, too little water, or because his tears keep falling into the soup. He clears up the table and throws away the other bowl of ramen that was left intact and is now cold. Usually, he sleeps after eating his ramen. But today is different. He goes out of the house without even bothering to lock his door. All he brings is his phone.
He leaves his house for the last time.

The flight of stairs to the rooftop is tiring to climb. But Jonghyun decides that he might as well do everything he never did often before, climbing stairs is one of them. The stars shine brightly in the dark sky. With the help of the stars, the moon is able to reflect light onto Jonghyun. He lies down and plays a voicemail on his phone.

"Jonghyun-ah! I'm already in Cambodia. I'll miss you a lot, but I'll be back in a week so don't worry! You must take good care of yourself. Remember not to skip any meals or work out too much! I would rather have a healthy Jjong with a flabby stomach than a way too skinny Jjong with abs! I love you, Jagi-ya."

Jonghyun's smile grows wider and wider. And he screams in agony as he smashes his phone onto the ground. It breaks into pieces, just like his heart did 5 years back. He trembles, trying to remain calm and keep his sanity. But he fails. After all, he has been bottling up all his emotions for the past 5 years.

"Jieun-ah.. I miss you."

He remembers the song he made just for them. He and Jieun used to sing that song together. "Our song", Jieun called it. "Because it only sounds complete when both of us sing it."

He remembers their first date in the park. Jonghyun took out a penknife and carved their initials on a bench. "Their bench", because it's only big enough for the two of them.

He remembers the time when Jieun bought a blue lock and pink lock. She locked them both on the bars of his door and threw the key away. "This is to show that we'll always be together!", she said cheerfully.

He remembers the first time he cooks ramen for her. "I don't like eggs", she said and pouted while looking at the bowl of ramen that Jonghyun made for her. He was about to offer making another bowl for her, but she just smiled and ate it, saying that she would always eat whatever Jonghyun makes for her.

He remembers the night before Jieun left for Cambodia to visit her family, when they lay down on the rooftop and stargazed.

Jonghyun touches his lips, remembering how Jieun's kisses felt like. He touches his face, remembering Jieun's warm touch.

But she's already long gone.

Jonghyun stands on the edge of the rooftop. He sheds his tears for the last time. He whispers "I love you" for the last time.

And he jumps.
-------------------------------------------------------
A/N - I'm sorry for the ending, I just.. felt like. you know. :(
But there'll be happier stories I promise!! :)

This story is also available on my Wattpad: @cxthyt ^^