The Christmas Story - Chapter 1

The Christmas Story

It's finally here! Today is Christmas! I'm so happy because I get to spend my Christmas with my boyfriend whom I love so much. And that is Kyuhyun! We're going to celebrate this festive season at his house tonight. This is my first time celebrating Christmas with him. Hopefully everything will go well. I am at the store, looking for the best Christmas present for Kyuhyun. There are lots of lovely items to be bought as gifts. Let me see which one is the best present for Kyuhyun. Just then, I found the perfect gift to give him! It's a gingerbread cabin dollhouse.

(Picture don't belong to me)

I grab the dollhouse and went to the cash register counter. The cashier scan the price and press the button for the amount. I was in a great shock when the price was shown. "That would be 300,000 won, miss." I check my purse to see if I have the exact money. Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to buy the dollhouse. "That's a beautiful ring you got that, miss," said the cashier. 

I was confused but I understood when I look at my 2-carat ring. "Ah, yes. My boyfriend gave it to me on my birthday." 

"Your boyfriend must be rich to buy that ring for you," said the cashier. I smile and didn't say anything. But I began to sigh. "I don't have enough money to pay for the dollhouse. I might as well put it back and look for something else to buy."

I was about to do that when the cashier stopped me. "Wait! I might be willing to trade from you for this dollhouse." 

"You will?" I asked. The cashier smile and nod. "I don't like to see you sad, especially on Christmas. So, I can trade with you. What do you have to trade for?" I check my bag to see if I can trade my item. But all I have is my lip balm, purse, mint sweets and tissue. I don't think those would be a good deal to trade. I glance at my ring. I come to my mind to trade the ring for the dollhouse. 

To be honest, I wouldn't want to give the ring away, since it's precious to me. But I have no choice. I slip the ring off my finger and give to the cashier. "You're trading your ring for the dollhouse?" I sadly nod my head. "Are you sure? You look sad when you slip the ring off."

"I'm pretty sure. It's the only way to get the dollhouse," I told him. The cashier agreed to take the ring and he gave me the dollhouse. "Kamsahamnida! Do come again." I walk out of the store with tears in my eyes. I was sad to trade away my precious gift. But at least I got a present for Kyuhyun.

 

That night, I visited Kyuhyun in his house. He gave a sweet kiss on my cheek. The whole house was beautifully decorated and it even has a Christmas tree. For dinner, he made my favorite, pork chops! "I made pork chops with peaches. I hope you like it," said Kyuhyun.

Pork chops were indeed my favorite dish of all. "It looks delicious. I didn't know you could cook."

"I learn from Ryeowook," said Kyuhyun. "Well, don't just stand there starving. Let's eat." I nodded, sat down and ate dinner. The dish was so delicious that I didn't want to finish them all. Kyuhyun did learn well from Ryeowook.

After dinner, it was time to give the present away. Kyuhyun gave me his present. I open it and it was a snowman doll. "Omo! I love it! Gomawo!" I gave Kyuhyun my present and he gasped after he opens it. "A gingerbread dollhouse! This is a very costly gift! How did you come up with all the money to buy this?" 

I gulped. I just kep quiet and didn't reply. Kyuhyun also notice my ring is gone. "Jagi, what happened to the ring I gave you?" Finally, I had to spill out the truth. "I.....traded the ring for the dollhouse. I didn't have enough money to pay for it. The cashier was willing to offer a trade. So, I had to give the ring away." I buried myself with my hands. "I'm so sorry, oppa."

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Kyuhyun went to open the door. "Yes? Can I help you?" I peep at the door and I saw the cashier from the store! I quickly went over to the door. "Oppa, it's alright! I know this man. He's the cashier from the store I went to." I turn to the cashier. "What are you doing here and how did you know my boyfriend's address?"

"Hello again, miss. There was a paper that flew from your purse and it has an address written on it. I assumed it's your house so I came here." I nodded in respond. "Anyways, I'm here to give you something," said the cashier. He gave me a box. I open it and inside was my 2-carat ring! "Omo! My ring! But why did you give it back to me?"

"I just realize I couldn't take your ring. It is something precious to you and your boyfriend here. He give it to you out of love. And that is something I wouldn't trade for. You can have it back," said the cashier.

"Then, you have to take the dollhouse back," I said to him.

"It's not necessary. You can keep it," said the cashier.

"You mean it?" I asked.

"Of course. After all, no one bought this dollhouse. It's such a waste to see it displayed without anyone buying. You're my first customer to purchase it. I'm giving it as a Christmas present to you." I smile at the cashier and thanked him. "I have to go home now. Merry Christmas."

Kyuhyun and I both said our greetings and close the door. I apologize to Kyuhyun again for trading the ring away.

"But why? Why must you trade your ring for the dollhouse?" asked Kyuhyun.

I sighed. "Because since you bought a 2-carat ring for me, I want you give you something nice and expensive this Christmas." Kyuhyun lift my chin up and made eye contact. He spread a smile on his face. "Oh, jagi. You don't have to buy an expensive gift for Christmas. Any gift you give me, I am happy with it. And even though you didn't give me anything for Christmas, it's okay with me. What matters is that you're here with me."

"Really? You mean it?" I asked, smiling. Kyuhyun nodded in respond. He wrapped his arm around me and began to sing a song.

 

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
From now on
Our troubles will be out of sight

 

I began to join in the song too. 

 

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Make the Yuletide gay
From now on
Our troubles will be miles away

 

Kyuhyun and I smile at each other and sang together.

 

Once a year as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more

Through the years we all will be together
If the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now

 

"Merry Christmas, jagi."

"Merry Christmas, oppa." Kyuhyun lift my chin up and gently place a kiss on my lips. I close my eyes, kissing him back and wrapping my arms around his neck. This is the best Christmas ever and I'll never forget it.

 

 

The End