twice is a coincidence

four green bottles (if one should accidentally fall)

N is the lead dancer of VIXX.

Jackson knows this, but he only fully realises what it means when Hyungdon and Defconn force N to dance.

It's a break, a brief break while the crew checks to see if they have enough material for another episode. They're on the verge of calling it a day for the night (or early morning, more accurately) and everyone's in a sort of relieved, exhaustion-tinged mood.

It's in this atmosphere that Hyungdon gestures towards N. "You and Hyuk-ddi missed the auditions for Big Byung. Since we've recorded already, it can't be helped. But we should verify that you're truly worthy of being in this project group."

Hyuk and N freeze, shooting matching looks of despair at each other, but Defconn is nodding already and pushing them to the forefront. "That's a great idea. Why don't you two show us what you've got?"

There are still a few errant cameras rolling, so one of the cameramen, sensing a potential video moment, shifts the lens over to get a good angle of the torture.

N is blinking tired eyes from the exhaustion of filming a drama, a variety show, and preparing for a comeback all at the same time, so Hyuk volunteers to go first, having taken pity on his hyung.

"I'll be showing my impressions!" he announces, with all the vigour of the young. Jackson doesn't recognise a single one of his imitations, but judging from Sungjae, Hyungdon and Defconn's reactions, it's a mighty fail.

"We can't air this," Hyungdon says, an exaggerated look of disgust on his face. "This is just too bad." Oblivious, Hyuk beams irrepressibly.

N watches attentively, laughs in the right places, then gets up and limbers up for his turn. "I'll show a dance for my audition," he says. "Can I have some music please? Any sort of music."

Jackson will always wonder what would have happened if the staff had put on a silly song instead. Or even a trot song; he'd like to see N try to make trot appealing.

But what happens is that the chorus of GOT7's "I Like You" starts to play. Jackson leaps to his feet and yells in excitement when he recognises the song, but is quickly shushed by Hyungdon. He pouts, but sits down obediently to watch N.

N feels his way into the song; he doesn't know the choreography, but the beat is steady and seductive and he hits them with moves that are smooth yet strong. Jackson's mouth drops open -- N is good. He's got a control of his body that can only come with classical training, but he never lets his technique get in the way of his obvious enjoyment of the music.

And then he brings out the body waves. Jackson has to hide behind his hands, feeling his face burn with every sinuous movement.

At the end of it, they're still staring.

"We can't use that," Defconn says faintly. "It goes against the concept of the show."

"How dare you be so y?" Hyungdon demands, and just like that, y Dolbaegi is born.

N smiles easily, apparently unaware that the entire cast and crew are going to be dreaming of him and his body waves that night. Except Hyuk, of course, who's the only one unfazed by the dance. He's probably seen it a million times, Jackson realises.

Jackson doesn't realise everyone is looking at him expectantly until the sudden silence inches into his awareness. "Hey!" he exclaims belatedly. "I'm supposed to be wild and y!"

"Looks like N is giving you a run for your money," Sungjae says, sniggering.

When filming finally ends for the day, Jackson goes back to his dorm with the annoying refrain of, "I like you, I Iike you," repeating in his head as N dances in his memory. If he gorges himself on VIXX's dance practice videos afterwards, well, who's to know?

 

 

~*~



It's the day of their music video filming. They show up at Hongdae way too early and on far too little sleep, but idols do what idols must. Jackson has almost gotten used to surviving on three hours of sleep; less if he needs to film some footage for Roommate or pull up his favourite Cha Hakyeon videos to watch before he turns in for the night. (Seo Kang Joon is not amused by his nightly habits.)

"We'll do the opening scene first, where we introduce each member," Defconn says.

"Can I do it ily?" N jokes.

Jackson's heart skips a beat. He very carefully does not mention the videos he's been watching. (N, with a blindfold, dancing as if he could feel the music in his bones; N, dressed as a girl, all sleek moves and sensuous expressions that made Jackson slack-jawed and then hit his head soundly on the table for ever clicking on that link; N and Hongbin, and was that a performance or were they just making out?!) He wants to hit somebody. Maybe the floor.

"You can just lie there like a stone," Hyungdon says, unimpressed.

But when the actual filming happens, N can't seem to control himself. He slips and slides into new poses, and even manages to make lying down y.

Jackson watches N sprawled out over a rock. It should be silly but for some reason he can't make himself laugh. He watches him with all the intensity of a creeper and feels sorry for ever calling Jinyoung a ert.

 

 

~*~



Filming wraps up all too soon. Jackson has a million regrets (why didn't he ask N if he wanted to catch dinner together? Or give him a private performance of the blindfold dance -- strictly for professional learning purposes, of course) but then they're all exchanging final hugs and N is warm and comfortable, arms tight around him. N's hair tickles his cheek, just a little, and Jackson forgets what he wanted to say.

They don't see each other for a few months. VIXX has their comeback; GOT7 is busy preparing for theirs. Their comeback date is soon -- tantalisingly soon. There's a chance that their promotion periods might overlap. Jackson works all the more harder, hoping that if he can help them perfect their dance, they can stand on stage sooner.

When he isn't practicing, he's monitoring VIXX's stages with intensity. Jinyoung catches him once, poring over their latest Show Champion appearance on his tablet. Thinking quickly, Jackson makes the excuse that he's searching for good choreography they can use for their own performances.

"We're still rookies," Jackson explains, full of earnesty. "We should be continually looking to our sunbaes to improve."

"But we already have the choreography to Stop Stop It," Jinyoung says, puzzled. "And it's not like the dance concepts of our two groups are compatible at all." He stares at the screen for a while, watching as N performs Jackson's favourite part of the choreography. "Oh -- that guy dances well."

"Doesn't he!" Jackson exclaims excitedly. "His control over his body -- and his expressions -- "

Jinyoung pats him on his shoulder. "Sounds like someone's got a crush."

Jackson is horrified. He just appreciates good dancing, that's all. He throws a cushion at Jinyoung, but he dodges out of the way.

GOT7 has their comeback at the tail-end of VIXX's promotion. They've already racked up five wins for Error, a personal best, and Jackson has never felt prouder. He and Sungjae send congratulatory messages into their Kakao chat group for every single win. N and Hyuk are too busy to celebrate in the thick of their promotion period, but reply with an invitation to eat meat together after it ends. Jackson treasures it like a promise.

The day of GOT7's comeback, Jackson bounds with overwhelming excitement into the salon and the dressing room.

"It's too early in the morning for all this energy," Bam Bam whines.

Youngjae grumbles, still half-asleep, "Someone sure is in a good mood. Can't wait to stand on stage again?"

"Oh, he's just hoping to see his boyfriend at the station today," Jinyoung says with a yawn.

The rest of the members perk up with interest, like scavengers scenting a kill. Jackson vows to murder that gossip of a Park Jinyoung.

Backstage, Jackson catches irritatingly short glimpses of N who seems all the more busy. He spots Hyuk, though, and drapes himself over him when they meet in the waiting rooms. ("Could you possibly be -- VIXX?" Hyuk plays right along to his wide-eyed fan girl act, and all the while Jackson is wondering where N is and if he would walk by.)

And then the day comes when they tell him Hitmaker will be back for a second season. Jackson pumps his fist in determination. He's not going to miss his chance this time.

"Stop hogging the sofa," Mark complains, kicking him off the couch. "Go watch your goth videos elsewhere."

Jackson draws himself up in as dignified a manner as he knows how. "VIXX has a cyborg concept this time. There's nothing goth about it."

Mark plugs in his earphones and ignores him.

Unfazed, Jackson pulls up another Cha Hakyeon dance video.

 

a/n: hope you're enjoying the story so far! :D if you like it, could you spare a second to help me upvote the fic? it would mean a lot to me. thank you! <3

add me on twitter :)