Final

Over a year

"Aiden, can you help us?" 

"Yeah, sure! What do you need help with?" I asked. I was at my school's annual fundraising event and I was just walking around, looking for things to buy and people to help. A lot of my friends were doing things to raise money, and I wasn't, so I decided to help around. 

"Can you ask everyone what they want, so the boys and I can make it?" Danny asked. I nodded and went into the cantine. My best friend and a few other friends of ours, were making fries and other food, but mainly fries. There were a bunch of people waiting, so I quickly started asking the person on the far right what she wanted. I helped them for the next hour or so, until the boys told me to leave.

"Time for you to leave, angel. Thanks for helping us, you did a lot," Zeke said. 

"You sure? I don't really have anything else to do, though.." Both Zeke and Danny raised an eyebrow. 

"You said that you wanted to see the fashion show and the rap battle," Danny said. Just then, I remembered it. I totally forgot about that! One of my good friends is participating in the rap battle and the fashion show is always really fun to watch because teachers also participate in it. They always make it extra funny for us. 

"If you need anything, text me, okay? I'm leaving now, bye~" I said and gave each of them a hug. I quickly went inside the auditorium and looked for my friend. A moment later,  I saw someone waving their hand at me, so I walked towards her. 

"Hey Aiden! Why are you so late? The fashion show is starting!" Gaby said. I sat down on the seat next to hers and pulled my phone out of my pocket. I sent Danny a quick text and told him to come in the auditorium to see the fashion show. Immediately after, I got a text from him. He said he was on his way to the auditorium, so I put my phone away and looked around to see the amount of people. It surprised me that there were way more people than there were last year. Must be because the school encouraged everyone to bring their family and friends. 

"Hey you." 

I turned around and saw Danny standing behind me and Gaby. I pointed at the seat next to mine and he clumsily crawled over the chair and sat down, almost tripping forward. I laughed and shook my head at his clumsiness. He glared at me and turned my head to the stage, because music was starting to play, which meant the fashion show was starting. The fashion show at our school is never too serious. It's just a bunch of people walking on the 'catwalk' with their own clothes, based on a theme and some teachers also showing their own clothes, but with a funny theme. 

The first few people were from the freshman classes. The song 'Thinking out Loud' by Ed Sheeran started playing and, since it's my current favorite song, I started singing along. While looking at the people walking, I spotted someone sitting on the other side of the auditorium. Someone I've once had a crush, but we haven't talked for over a year.. He was staring at me and when I caught him staring, he didn't even look away, so I did. I clapped when the freshman students walked off the catwalk. Next up, were a few teachers in suits and dresses. It was very unusual for us to see them in dresses, so everyone started cheering and yelling. 

Again, I caught Joe's stare. I honestly didn't know what to do or where to look, because the people currently walking on the catwalk were standing on that side. I felt so awkward.. This 'thing' went on for the rest of the fashion show. 

"Hey, what's up between you two?" Danny suddenly asked. I looked away from Joe and looked at Danny. 

"What? Nothing." 

"If you say so.." Danny said and suddenly got up. Only then did I notice everyone was getting up and in a circle around two people for the rap battle. There were a few contestants, maybe around 20 contestants. I also got up and stood next to Danny and looked in front of me, only to see Joe standing on the other side of the circle. I held onto Danny's arm to keep my balance, but almost fell over because of people pushing around. Danny scolded the people next to me and behind me and they eventually stopped. When I looked back up, I saw Joe intensively glaring at Danny, which made me frown for a second. I looked away when one of the contestants started rapping. He was dissing the other contestant and everyone went 'wooh' and laughed. 

Suddenly, someone grabbed my hand and dragged me with him. I couldn't see who it was, because his head was turned away from me. Only when we got out of the auditorium, did I see his face. 

"What are you doing? I wanted to see that.." I said and pulled my hand away from his. He grabbed it again and started walking ahead of me. A few of my friends were standing on the stairs selling beanies that one of them knitted herself. They gave me weird looks when I mouthed 'help', but they didn't help me at all. I sighed and decided to just walk along. It's not like he's gonna do anything bad. 

"Are we heading outside?" I asked. I lowered my voice, "It's.. freezing.. and snowing.." I stopped for a second and stared at the snow, not really wanting to exit the school building without my coat. 

"Take this," Joe said and took his jacket off. He put it around me and took my hand again, dragging me outside. Although I was wearing his jacket, I was still freezing.

"You're gonna get sick of you don't put on your jacket.." I said and took it off with one hand. I put it on his shoulder. Suddenly, he stopped walking. He turned around and took the jacket off of his shoulder. 

"Why are you giving it back? Just wear it," he said and put it back around me. I sighed and looked around. We were walking through an long alley. At the end of that alley, we were met with a beautiful open field. In the middle of it were two swings. Snow was everywhere and the field only had one tree in the middle, with the two swings hanging from it. The field was surrounded by houses. I think I've seen the tree a few times from a classroom on the third floor of my school. 

When we got to the middle of the field, Joe told me to sit. I hesitantly sat down and looked at him. "Why did you bring me here? I really wanted to see that rap battle.. Vince is participating," I said and softly swung back and forth. Joe sat down on the swing next to mine and did the same. 

He sighed and faced me, "Do you like that guy?"

"No, he's one of my closest friends," I said and frowned. Why would he think that? 

"Why am I not?" 

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Uhm, okay, but why did you bring me here? I'm freezing and you're probably freezing more than I am.." I said, looking down and kicking some snow, so it flew up. I wiggled my shoes to get the snow off. 

"Just.. wanted to tell you a few things," he said. He looked down and did the same as I did. 

"Oh.. that's kinda weird, since we haven't talked in over a year," I coldly said. It wasn't meant to come out like that, but I was freezing and it seemed like he dragged me out here for nothing. 

"I know, I'm sorry.." 

"Okay, so what's the reason for you dragging me out here?" I asked. I was starting to get irritated, because we've been out here for almost 15 minutes and it's below 0. 

"I.. You kept on glancing at me during the fashion show.. and it made me feel weird inside.." He said and looked away. I tilted my head and thought for a moment. 

“I’m sorry, I guess? I shouldn’t have. It was weird, I know. Can we go back inside? I really want to see this rap battle between Vince and the other guy, I think he’s almost up and I’m kinda freezing.” I know I might have sounded somewhat whiny, but I really didn't understand why he took me out here..

"Can you please let me finish talking? It's really important.." He said, now looking me right in the eyes. I slowly nodded, "Okay, go ahead.." He sighed and looked in front of him. I swung back and forth again and waited for him to say something, anything would do honestly. 

"I.. I might still like you.." He said. My eyes widened and I was at a loss for words. Over a year ago, he said he liked me, but he was very weird about it. He acted like an whenever his friends were around and didn't really show that he liked me. When we both went to senior year, we didn't talk to each other at all. I don't really know how that happened, but it just happened.

"Oh.. Uh.."

"I know I've been an for not talking to you for this long.." He said. 

"What? You flirted with Bri on that party last week and now you're expecting me to say something like 'Wow, I also like you Joe'? What exactly were you expecting out of this and how am I even supposed to believe you?" I said. It seemed like he was caught off guard, because he started to choke on his words.

"I.. Well.. I.. Okay," he said, "First, I would never go out of my way to lie to you about something like this and second, I never confess to girls.." He said. 

"Okay, true, but I can't really give you an answer.. I'm not sure of my feelings. I mean, I probably still like you, but I'm not sure if I want to continue what stopped a year ago," I said and bit my lip. I was probably gonna regret this, because I honestly still like him, but I really don't want to get hurt. 

"That's okay.. Want to go back inside to see Vince?" He asked. He got off the swing.

"Yeah, finally," I said and also got off the swing. He put his hand out and waited for me to hold it, only realizing his actions a while later. I shook my head. He sighed and nodded out of understanding. We walked through the alley and back inside the school building, bumping into Danny on our way in. 

"Uhm... Where were you Aiden? And why is he with you?" Danny said, putting the emphasis on 'he', referring to Joe. Danny knew about Joe and me and he never approved of it, because he doesn't like Joe, which is understandable. I came closer to Danny and whispered in his ear, "I'll tell you later." He nodded and let us pass. Joe and I went back to the auditorium and joined the circle around the rappers. We were just in time to see Vince rap against a guy from another school. Vince did a great job and everyone cheered and clapped for the both of them. Some of the people approached the other guy, and I approached Vince. I gave him a hug and a high-five.

"Good job! You were great!" I said and smiled. 

"Thanks! Did you see the whole thing?" He asked. I nodded, "I was standing right there," I said. He nodded and went to the other guy to exchange names or something. 

"Aiden? Are you going home now?" Joe asked. I turned around. 

"Yeah," I said and again almost fell over because of people pushing around. Everyone wanted to leave the auditorium right now, so that's why everyone was pushing and pulling. I suddenly felt someone's grip on both of my shoulders. I turned around to see Joe holding me. I slightly blushed, but not enough that it showed. He gently pulled me away from the people and we waited until everyone left, so there was no pushing and pulling. 

"Thanks," I said and smiled at him. 

"No problem. I'll take you home," he said and we left the auditorium. We first said bye to everyone and wished them happy holidays. I also went to Danny, Gaby and Zeke. On our way to my locker, he grabbed his coat from a classroom. I grabbed my coat and scarf out of my locker and put the key in my pocket. I put on my gloves and we both went outside. We both had to take the bus home, and since he doesn't live that far from me, he could easily take me home. Although I declined his offer, he insisted on doing it. 

The bus soon arrived and we both got on. We walked to the back of the bus and I sat near the window. He took the seat next to me and sighed. 

"Anything wrong?" I asked.

"Yeah.. I-I'm really sorry that you had to see me and Bri flirting last week.. She was the one that started it and even though I kept pushing her away, she didn't want to leave.. I really do not like her. I like you. She's nothing."

"Don't worry, I believe you," I assured him and smiled. 

"That's a relief," he said and smiled back at me. 

"Can I ask you one thing?" I asked.

"Go ahead," he said, patiently waiting. He faced me and slightly tilted his head.

"Uhm.. Why did you not talk to me or even glance at me when we passed each other in the hallways?" I asked. 

"I was almost sure that you didn't have any feelings for me anymore and I felt embarrassed to talk to you or even look at you, because I've been such an .. And I might've been scared. I already told you that I never confess to girls, so I honestly didn't know what to do. I thought time would heal, but it obviously didn't. Kinda ," he said and sighed. I was quite surprised at what he said.. Did not expect that at all..

"Why were you even scared? I honestly have no experience with dating and stuff, so you shouldn't have been scared. I was honestly flustered when you told me that you still liked me, but since I can be very blunt with my words, it didn't show, I hope.." 

"Hmm.." He thought for a moment, "Are you sure you're not sure about your feelings?"

"No." I bluntly said. We both laughed afterwards.

"Then why did you say you weren't sure?" 

"Because I don't want to seem easy.." I said and chuckled. We slowly started to talk as we did a year ago. It felt comfortable and it was like that year never happened. 

"I really missed you, you know that?" Joe said. I nodded, agreeing with him, "I missed you too, but you were too busy with your new friends," I said and stuck my tongue out. He grabbed my tongue and laughed. He let go after two seconds. 

"Aiden?" 

"What's up?" 

"Do you maybe.. want to uh.. be my girlfriend?" 

I was quiet for a moment, because, well.. no one ever asked me that. And well, I've had a crush on him for a long time.. Also, I did not expect him to ask me that fast.

"Uh.."

"Don't answer that. I'm sorry, I asked too fast. Forget about it, I never asked that," he quickly said and turned away. I chuckled and turned his head around by holding his chin and turning it around. 

"I'd love to be your girlfriend," I said and smiled at him. His face turned slightly red and he smiled back at me. 

"Really?" He beamed. I nodded and gave him a peck on his lips. We sat there for the rest of the busride, holding hands and talking about our plans for the winter break. After 20 minutes, we arrived at the busstop near our houses. We got off and thanked the busdriver. 

"Are you sure about this?" He asked, looking at our intertwined fingers.

"Of course, why wouldn't I? Aren't you?" I asked. 

"No no no! I am! But.. I thought you were scared to get hurt.." He said. 

"I am.. but," I said, "I trust you to not hurt me." I said and looked up at him. His eyes glistened and he gave me a quick peck on the lips. "Thank you," he said, "For trusting me with your heart." We smiled at each other and walked towards my house.

"Want to take a walk before going home?" He asked. I nodded and we took a left, walking towards a park that was a 5 minute walk from here. It was a really beautiful park, that I've visited very often whenever I felt lonely or sad. 

"I totally forgot to ask, but how's everything going with your life? Are you still dancing? And how's your family? Everything okay with your little brother?" Joe asked. 

"Life is okay, I guess. And yes, I'm still dancing. Family is good and my brother is also good! What about yours? How's your father's business doing? And how's your little brother? Oh! And your cat," I said and chuckled. I used to not like cats, but his cat was the only cat I actually liked. I once got bitten by a cat, which started my fear for cats. His cat is very sweet and cute and I know it doesn't bite. 

"Dad's business is going better and better actually. My brother has been very addicted to gaming lately and my cat is doing great. She gets showered with love by the three of us, but it seems like she's missing someone," he said, referring to me. 

"Hmm, that's good that our families are doing good. I hope I can get to see yours soon, it's been a while," I said and looked down. We made a whole path with our footsteps. 

"What are you doing?" He asked and chuckled.

"Just looking at our footsteps," I said and looked back up. 

"You're honestly too cute," he said and pinched my cheeks.

"No, I'm not. I'm tough," I said, almost laughing at my own words.

"Yeah, you might be tough, but you're still cute," he said. We laughed and teased each other until we got to the park. The park was a circle, and there were about 4 benches. We sat down on the bench nearest to us and looked ahead of us. It was starting to snow. Joe gently squeezed my hand and rubbed circles on it. I leaned my head on his shoulder and looked at his side profile.

"You're also cute," I said. He looked at me funnily. "And handsome," I quickly added. He flashed me a satisfied smile. 

"I'm glad you agreed on being my girlfriend. Also quite surprised, because I'm such an ," he said, looking down at our hands.

"You're not an . You just used to be an , that's it," I joked. He nodded, agreeingly. I was still looking up at his face, when he suddenly turned his head towards me and looked me straight in the eye. I got surprised at the sudden closeness and backed up a little bit, but everytime I backed up more, he came closer. 

"D-don't."

"Still not feeling comfortable with people entering your personal space?" He asked. I nodded and blushed. Not because he knew I still wasn't comfortable with it, but because he came very close to my face. 

"Well, you should get used to it then, because I'm not gonna keep a 30 centimeter distance with my girlfriend," he said and came close again. I lightly punched him on the chest and covered my mouth with my hand when he came closer to my lips. He leaned forward and kissed my hand. I looked him in the eye and slowly let my hand fall down. We stared at each other for a moment until he leaned in more. He closed the gap between us. We shared a kiss, that lasted about a minute. When he pulled away, I quickly looked away and avoided his gaze. 

"Why are you looking away?" He asked.

"Just because." 

"Are you embarrassed?" He chuckled, "Don't be.. yah, why are you even embarrassed." 

"I'm not.. I'm not.. Not embarrassed," I said and patted my cheeks. I knew they were red, and I hated it. Why am I embarrassed? It doesn't make sense.. 

He put his arm around me and pulled me closer, "Don't be embarrassed. You're too cute," he said and ruffled my hair. 

"Joe.." I whined and put my hair back in place. He chuckled and pulled me closer again. 

"I'm really happy you wanted to be my girlfriend. Don't be scared to get hurt, okay? I'll make sure I won't hurt you, and if I do, you're allowed to hit and punch me as hard as you want to." He said. "Also, don't feel insecure or whatever. You used to be really insecure, but I hope you're not anymore. You're beautiful just the way you are. No one can do you like you and you should keep that in mind. Everyone is one of a kind, you are one of a kind, so don't compare yourself to anyone else. Don't. I like you for you, so please don't, okay?" He put his pinky in front of my face, "Promise me you won't." I smiled and hooked my pinky with his, "I won't. But you do the same, okay?" He nodded and smiled. We shared one last kiss before leaving the park. We were headed to my house, because he insisted on bringing me home so he could make sure I was safe. 

"Remember what I said earlier, okay?" He said. I nodded and hugged him. "I'll pick you up tomorrow, so we can go to my house," he said. 

"Don't come too early, I'm probably going to sleep in," I said.

"Okay, get some good night sleep, I'll text you," he said and hugged me tighter. After a moment, we pulled away from the hug and he gave me a kiss. "Go in now, I'll wait," he said. I nodded and quickly ran inside so he wouldn't have to wait any longer. I waved at him and waited for him to leave. I closed the door when he was out of sight.

I held my chest when I finally got into my room. I lay down and stared at the ceiling, smiling at myself. My phone vibrated so I quickly took it out of my bag and read the text. It was a text from Joe.

Joe:  I hope you're happy. I am happy. I'll see you tomorrow, eat dinner and get some sleep! I'll miss you, baby.

My heart fluttered at the word 'baby'. I'm such a girl sometimes. 

Aiden:  I am, and I'm very glad you're happy too;; Greet your parents, your brother and your cat for me pls! I'll see you tomorrow~ 

I put my phone away and sighed. My heart was thumping and my face felt warm. I hope nothing ruins my happiness for today. I hope he's as happy as I am.