Like Yesterday

Like Yesterday

She opened her eyes and immediately looked to her side, letting out a sigh once realizing that he wasn't there.

So it was a dream. Just another dream.

She remembered the times they spent together. She had been so happy with him, so cheerful. She had felt so loved. He was the first and the only person who ever made her feel loved. She grew up being neglected by her parents. But he was always there. He was always there to comfort her whenever she was sad. He was always there to take care of her.

When she cried, he would hug her and tell her everything was going to be okay. When she felt like the world hated her, he would tell her that there will always be someone who will love her, who will care for her. When she was sick, he'd stay by her side the entire day just to take care of her. He'd even miss class just to take care of her. After all, they were together. And that was what mattered to him.

She had felt so happy when he asked her to be his girlfriend, when he finally confessed to her that he liked her. Whenever she felt down, all she had to think about was him, and a smile would almost immediately make its way to her face. There were a lot of things about him that she loved.

His voice, his smile, his touch. Everything. She loved everything about him. Especially when she couldn't sleep and all she had to do was call him and he would go to her and sing her a song. Though he didn't sing much, he had a wonderful voice. Deep and husky, yet gentle and beautiful at the same time. He would sing her a song that he had personally composed. He had written the lyrics thinking of her. Cheesy, yes, he knew it was cheesy. But what could he do? He loved her. He didn't know how to express his feelings. And so, he wrote a song.

It wasn't the best song in the world, yet she loved hearing it all the same. It matched his voice extremely well and the lyrics were so sweet. She knew it came from his heart, and that made it even better.

They spent many happy times together, but there were also some sad times. They fought quite a few times. I mean, what couple would never fight? All couples fight at least once in their relationship. But the cause of their fight had been a little thing. Jealousy. They hadn't spoken to each other for days, but he eventually talked to her, not able to withstand that feeling of guilt that he had actually yelled at her, that he made her cry. He apologized for the things he said. And she, missing him too, accepted his apology, happy that they finally made up.

But then, the worst thing she could possibly imagine came. She never knew her fears would actually come true, not after she felt so happy. He had proposed to her the night before, but the next morning he was gone. She soon found out that he had been rushed to the hospital. No one told her why. He had made them promise him not to tell her.

 

"Mark," she sat down at the foot of his bed. "What happened to you?"

He only gave her a slight smile before answering.

"I'm fine, baby," he told her quietly. "I just don't feel well." She bit her lip, staring at him.
"Why did you make them promise not to tell me anything?"
"I wanted to be the one to tell you. To apologize."
"Apologize?" she raised her eyebrows, thinking. "You're leaving me, aren't you?"

When he didn't answer, she knew that was it.

"You know that saying? That too much love can kill you?" he asked her softly. She nodded. "Honestly, I think that's true. Too much can actually kill you. I love you, baby, but-"
"So you're dying because of me..." she interrupted. "You should have-"
"Don't blame yourself," he spoke. His soft tone made her stop talking and look at him. "It's not your fault," he continued. "Maybe it's my fault for falling in love too much, or maybe it's really just my heart's fault,"

He was trying to make her laugh. But she couldn't laugh. Not at a time like this.

"You're joking, Mark. Tell me you're joking. Don't tell me you're dying." she said to him. He gave her a faint smile before reaching out his hand.
"Come to me, baby," he said quietly. Biting her lip to keep her tears from spilling, she walked over to him. "Way before I met you, I was already sick,"
"Then why didn't you tell me?"
"You'd get hurt. You'd cry. You'd cry because I was going to leave you. I know you. I know the things that can make you cry," he said gently. He brought his other hand to her cheek, wiping her tears away. "See? You're already crying,"
"You should have told me before. I would cry less right now, seeing you lying on a hospital bed," she said, her voice cracking.
"Do you mind promising me one last thing, baby?"

She looked at him. He looked straight in her eyes.

"Promise me you'll find someone better,"

 

She hadn't expected that she could actually do what Mark made her promise to do. She loved Mark. She loved him with all her heart. But she found someone else.

Someone with the qualities as Mark. Yet this one was gentler and sweeter. He had a voice that was like candy whenever he sang. A sweet voice. And he was more playful. He loved pulling pranks on people and fooling around. He was that kind of guy.

Whenever he would comfort her, he would dance with her. He loved to dance, you see. And she liked the way he would wrap his arm loosely around her waist whenever they danced.

If Mark was perfect to her, this guy was one level below him.

She fell in love with him. She fell in love with his personality and his voice. She liked his face. He had a baby face. He was cute. She liked the way he would call her his noona, though they didn't have much of an , but would still ask her to call him her oppa.

But he had never made her feel the same way Mark made her feel. They were still different people. She already had this feeling that there would only be one person who could make her feel that way, and it was Mark.

Though years had past, she could still remember everything. Like it was just yesterday that they had met, that they had kissed, that he had gone.

She could still hear his voice clearly in her head. That voice which sang to her whenever she couldn't sleep. That voice which told her he loved her.

The last words he spoke to her?

"I love you. I know you love me too, but let go. You have to let go to find someone better."


____________________________________________________________________

Hi!! I've changed my style on how I write stories like this. Is it okay? Or do you guys like my way of writing the others better?? Tell me what you think!!~ But anyway, what do you think of this quite short oneshot? Any comments??